Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

• 20-12-2020 5:52pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With ferries limited to freight only.

Not sure what good 48 hours will do, but better than nothing I suppose?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1220/1185542-covid-19/

Article:
    The Government is to impose a 48-hour suspension on flights from Britain following fears over the spread of a new strain of Covid-19, while ferries will be limited to freight travel.

The move was agreed by the three coalition party leaders who held discussions this afternoon, and an announcement was made by Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan this evening.

The ban is in place for tomorrow and Tuesday and the measures will be reviewed by the Cabinet on Tuesday.

Ferry crossings between Ireland and the UK will continue in order to keep essential supply chains moving.

Dublin port

A government statement said: "Ministers have engaged with the UK authorities and the Department of Transport has advised airlines of the ban.

"There will be close coordination with the Northern Ireland authorities as these arrangements are put in place."

Arrangements are being put in place to facilitate the repatriation of Irish residents on short trips to the UK and planning to return in the coming days, as well as international travellers to Ireland who are transiting through the UK.

An emergency meeting of the Stormont Executive to discuss implications of a new more aggressive variant of Covid-19 will take place at 9pm tonight.

Senior Executive sources told RTÉ News that First Minister Arlene Foster and Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill are engaged in discussions with the British government to get answers to "critical questions".

Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands have already announced bans on passenger flights from Britain.

Earlier, Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly said everything needed to be done in order to protect the health service.

Speaking on RTÉ's This Week programme, Mr Donnelly said that Irish people who cannot come from the UK due to the new restrictions are in an awful situation.

Stephen Donnelly

Mr Donnelly said the vast majority of Irish people abroad had decided not to travel due to the virus, but a small number had planned to come home and he said his "heart went out to them".

He said the Government was taking the situation very seriously, as the new strain is up to 70% more transmissible.

Sinn Féin's Lynn Boylan said: "Instead of a flight ban we need to fix what we haven't actually done in the pandemic which is monitoring people coming into the country and having proper contact tracing and testing as opposed to what it is.

"I think we need to have a system where people are going to restrict their movements and they are followed up.

"It is a huge concern about people coming home from Britain over Christmas and if they are carrying that strain.

"I find it more concerning that we've had nearly a year now and never actually cracked that nut of tracking the people coming in and leaving the country," said Ms Boylan.

The Labour Party has said it supports the decision to suspend travel from Britain, but that it will be devastating for many families.

It is calling on the Government to bring Tuesday's Cabinet meeting forward to give people clear guidance for the Christmas period.

The party's spokesperson on transport, Duncan Smith, said the latest developments show "the urgent need for mandatory Covid-19 testing at our airports and seaports for visitors arriving into Ireland over the coming days and weeks".

The World Health Organization has said its members in Europe should strengthen measures against the new strain.

Outside Britain, nine cases of the new strain have been reported in Denmark, as well as one case in the Netherlands and another in Australia, according to the WHO.

"Across Europe, where transmission is intense and widespread, countries need to redouble their control and prevention approaches," a spokeswoman for WHO Europe said.

Mod:

Going to leave this thread seperate for the time being as it is very relevant presently and might get lost in the main thread.

Please only discuss this restriction here. Discussion on general Covid restrictions (or relaxation of them) should be discussed in the relevant threads.

Same goes for the UK's response, there's a dedicated thread.

If this starts to become too much duplication it will be merged into the main Covid thread

Edit: Stormont meeting at 9pm Sunday (20/12) to discuss potential ban on flights from Mainland to NI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Uk or Britain?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It’s very confusing. Are flights permitted? If so then it’s another case of the public being “asked” to comply

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Uk or Britain?

Headline & article contradict each other, so hard to say for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Raichu wrote: »
    With ferries limited to freight only.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1220/1185542-covid-19/

And it'll provably be like the Berlin airlift with everyone rescheduling for Wednesday and Thursday.
    Btw could people fly into Belfast and motor down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

What is 48 hours actually going to do?

Plus asking people not to go to pubs or restaurants and licking them down sooner but almost encouraging people to go out to the after Christmas sales is just silly imo.

How much more crap do people need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Getting a bit rough in the UK

Britain's Health Secretary has said the new variant coronavirus is "out of control"

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1220/1185546-coronavirus-uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

faceman wrote: »
    It’s very confusing. Are flights permitted? If so then it’s another case of the public being “asked” to comply

According to the minister for transport all flights from the UK are cancelled for 48 hours and ferries will be freight only. He didn't seem too optimistic for the days following that either.

I do really feel for Irish residents currently working in the UK. How are they meant to get back before xmas now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I actually want to know what safety measures are in place to stop illegal migration into Ireland especially now with all this as many will be trying to get here now as UK will be out of the EU.....

Posted the body in the OP for anyone allergic to links :pac:

Seems to be incoming only too, with a review of the measures Tuesday. Sounds like perhaps it’s very short term until they discuss with the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Acosta wrote: »
    According to the minister for transport all flights from the UK are cancelled for 48 hours and ferries will be freight only. He didn't seem too optimistic for the days following that either.

I do really feel for Irish residents currently working in the UK. How are they meant to get back before xmas now?

They don't want anyone to come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Will Unionists in the North back a ban on flights coming from the 'mainland'?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Going to leave this thread seperate for the time being as it is very relevant presently and might get lost in the main thread.

Please only discuss this restriction here. Discussion on general Covid restrictions (or relaxation of them) should be discussed in the relevant threads.

Same goes for the UK's response, there's a dedicated thread.

If this starts to become too much duplication it will be merged into the main Covid thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Raichu wrote:

48 hours is to bring them up to tuesday so it can be formally agreed by cabinet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Its going to be longer than 48hrs
    Much longer
    Its only being reviewed in 48hrs
    Its all flights incoming from GB stopped from midnight tonight
    Ferries haulage only
    Eamon Ryan was on virgin media news
    He said arrangements will be needed to repatriate people stuck in GB

NI Executive meeting tonight

fergus1001 wrote: »
    48 hours is to bring them up to tuesday so it can be formally agreed by cabinet

Appears that was done today if I read the article correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

faceman wrote: »

Flights are banned. Airlines will not be flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Stephen Donnelly is the biggest bull****ter and out and out clown that we have ever had as a government minister. And we have had some good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Only 8 months too late, but better late than never I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spanish news is reporting than the EU is being lobbied for a total ban on travel from the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Raichu wrote:
    Appears that was done today if I read the article correctly.

I believe it was the three party leaders that signed off on it not cabinet

• Advertisement

Stephen Donnelly is the biggest bull****ter and out and out clown that we have ever had as a government minister. And we have had some good ones.

So, what about this is BS please enlighten me?
    Mr Donnelly said the vast majority of Irish people abroad had decided not to travel due to the virus, but a small number had planned to come home and he said his "heart went out to them".

He said the Government was taking the situation very seriously, as the new strain is up to 70% more transmissible.

Ah or are you just looking for a reason to be angry at a politician you don’t like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

About time , London is out of control with this new variety of covid , What about those who arrived today and yesterday ??

LuasSimon wrote: »
    About time , London is out of control with this new variety of covid , What about those who arrived today and yesterday ??

Obviously nothing about them. Same as anyone who arrives in the next 5 hours, 54 minutes and 59 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The only reason this is happening is because the UK haven't a clue what's going on inside their own country. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

LuasSimon wrote: »

Well they are isolating of course, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Raichu wrote: »
    So, what about this is BS please enlighten me?

Ah or are you just looking for a reason to be angry at a politician you don’t like?

I don't base my opinions on a few words said on a given day.
    Wouldn't say I'm angry either. More disappointed than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The only reason this is happening is because the UK haven't a clue what's going on inside their own country. Better to be safe than sorry.

Agreed. But are flights from GB barred from Belfast? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Unless we are closing the border with NIRL it would be a better move to allow UK flights for anyone who can produce a negative test in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

48 hours my arse LOL. This will be until significant proportions of the population get vaccinated.

• Advertisement

I don't base my opinions on a few words said on a given day.
    Wouldn't say I'm angry either. More disappointed than anything

In fairness I’m mainly being pedantic. :pac:

Advertisement