Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No more SGs on route 27.

• 18-12-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Clontarf based, word on street is from next week we can not take out a SG type bus on route 27.

Anyone any further imformation on this? Is it due to scutting?

Sorry forgot to add, seems Ringsend (who operate 27 too) is the same.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

That's interesting as the 27 is one of the routes that the NTA want operated solely by dual door buses. Would there be enough GTs in Clontarf to fill the gap on the 27 or would they have to potentially use single door buses aswell. Don't see why they can't start rolling out the modified engine cover like on SG9 perhaps easier said than done. Or could they start allocating the hybrids to the 27 once they arrive.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/irishtransport/viewtopic.php?p=110584#p110584

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Clontarf have about 15, Ringsend have 20ish

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

GT89 wrote: »
    That's interesting as the 27 is one of the routes that the NTA want operated solely by dual door buses. Would there be enough GTs in Clontarf to fill the gap on the 27 or would they have to potentially use single door buses aswell. Don't see why they can't start rolling out the modified engine cover like on SG9 perhaps easier said than done. Or could they start allocating the hybrids to the 27 once they arrive.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/irishtransport/viewtopic.php?p=110584#p110584

If I were in charge of allocation I'd be keeping the expensive new hybrids as far away as possible from the 27... (and the 40 :D ).. no offence to anyone who lives along the routes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Contrails wrote: »
    If I were in charge of allocation I'd be keeping the expensive new hybrids as far away as possible from the 27... (and the 40 :D ).. no offence to anyone who lives along the routes...

if i were in charge i would replace the older stock, first and not shuffle the assets to appease those living in more affluent areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Don't think there's any appeasement. The data shows that buses on the likes of the 27 get damaged, broken windows, graffiti more than other routes. I don't know if that's the logic behind moving the sg's away from it. But I can guarantee there's nothing personal behind it if that's the case. The decision behind it would be based on cold hard data. Not a gut feeling or discrimination.

Or maybe its something else altogether.. the GTs ride a bit higher than the SGs. Maybe the SGs have difficulty with some high curbs?

• Advertisement

if i were in charge i would replace the older stock, first and not shuffle the assets to appease those living in more affluent areas.

The older stock is being replaced, AX class buses from 2006 will be withdrawn when the new hybrids arrive.

Also the fleet allocations are not being organised to favour routes serving affluent areas in recent years DB and the NTA have prioritised the newest dual door buses on the busiest routes which makes in order to speed up loading and unloading. These routes have included routes such as the 13, 27 and 40 all routes which would be traditionally assoicated with disadvantaged areas and then again there are plenty of routes that serve both affluent and disadvantaged area.

Contrails wrote: »
    Don't think there's any appeasement. The data shows that buses on the likes of the 27 get damaged, broken windows, graffiti more than other routes. I don't know if that's the logic behind moving the sg's away from it. But I can guarantee there's nothing personal behind it if that's the case. The decision behind it would be based on cold hard data. Not a gut feeling or discrimination.

Or maybe its something else altogether.. the GTs ride a bit higher than the SGs. Maybe the SGs have difficulty with some high curbs?

It's being done likely because of scutting which the SGs are prone to due to the design of the rear of the bus which is the only logical reason I can think of. I'm not sure why the 27 appears to be particularly targeted compared to other routes like the 13 and 40. I've even heard reports of scutting on the back of GAI buses in Dun Laoghaire.

I don't really see the logic in keeping the newer buses off trouble routes at the end of the day broken windows due to stone throwing are going to cost the same regardless of the buses age. If anything the windows of the SG would be cheaper to replace given they have less glass in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

GT89 wrote: »
    It's being done likely because of scutting which the SGs are prone to due to the design of the rear of the bus which is the only logical reason I can think of. I'm not sure why the 27 appears to be particularly targeted compared to other routes like the 13 and 40. I've even heard reports of scutting on the back of GAI buses in Dun Laoghaire.

This is true, when it is not raining scutting is my preferred method of taking the bus to work and I can confirm that the SGs do indeed offer that extra level of grip. Kudos to the designers for including us scutters in their thoughts, travelling inside the bus isnt for everyone like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They'll have to have the coronavirus seat labels on the back of the bus as well.

It's also not about appeasement of affluent areas...the people who lose out with route curtailments, diversions, accidents and broken windows are the locals of the route in question.

There's no advantage in speeding up loading and unloading if your bus is diverted by a 15 minute walk in the dark.

Advertisement