Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The UK COVID variant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It was looking recently that the virus was not up to a whole lot on healthy people, this change was badly needed to corruptly justify the billions in money and suicides this has costed.

Could they add a new clause where it damages Western Europeans who drink tea after 6pm of an evening? And for those fearing the shopping element of infection could they explain why there has not been a single death in staff of the entire retail sector in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It was looking recently that the virus was not up to a whole lot on healthy people, this change was badly needed to corruptly justify the billions in money and suicides this has costed.

Wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Meanwhile by my count we have 27 flights arriving from the UK into Dublin Airport today alone. And an open border to the north of course. Be a miracle if this new strain is not already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

With 10s of thousands of Irish coming home for Christmas from the U.K. in the coming days, it will be too late to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It appears that the flight ban has been issued due to the report released by the uk is contradicting and the Dutch want more time to study the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah shure we couldn’t be doing that at all at all now. Irish coming home for Christmas is more important than anything else...... we’ll be in level 6 lockdown yet, and we’ll see who comes to help us....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

embraer170 wrote: »
    With 10s of thousands of Irish coming home for Christmas from the U.K. in the coming days, it will be too late to do anything.

Anyone I know in the uk that was travelling home, have cancelled their trip. ITS the right thing to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So far we don't have that variant here. The same guidance applies anyway to controlling it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

is_that_so wrote: »
    So far we don't have that variant here. The same guidance applies anyway to controlling it.

it is here cmon ffs

Is it not suspected in that mass outbreak in wexford?

• Advertisement

It could be but I'm going on what DeGascun has said recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm probably going to have to cancel my flights home tomorrow. They need to do this by the end of today at the latest IMO. In a pandemic, timing is everything.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

mean gene wrote: »
    it is here cmon ffs
    Dogs in the street know, eh?

Considering the guy that travelled was from the south of England

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Dogs in the street know, eh?

No. Nobody knows one way or the other if it's here. Which also means that we can't say its not.

Only that it hasn't been found.

No. Nobody knows one way or the other if it's here. Which also means that we can't say its not.

Only that it hasn't been found.
    I don't think it matters anyway unless it is found to undo what the vaccines will do. If you are following the guidelines then you are reducing the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Mainland Europe should just ban flights from Ireland as well. It's here, loads came home this weekend. Had family members come back already, wouldn't listen to my objections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Do they know if the vaccines made work on this strain as normal and just needs to be rolled out

or

is it too early to say and studies need to be done to confirm if the vaccines treat this strain?

I couldn't find any info

wally1990 wrote: »
    Do they know if the vaccines made work on this strain as normal and just needs to be rolled out

or

is it too early to say and studies need to be done to confirm if the vaccines treat this strain?

I couldn't find any info

Yep it will. So before covid came along, scientists were closed to having a foundation that can tackle all viruses. They finished it during covid and then added in the covid part. Going forward we are stronger than ever for tackling viruses. Massive and an amazing milestone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

wally1990 wrote: »

or

I couldn't find any info

They're examining the sera of vaccinees at the DSTL in Porton Down now to investigate that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

If this variant was detected in the UK as far back as April and is actually as contiguous as reported why has it taken 8 months to become rampant ?

I'm struggling to understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

kevcos wrote: »
    If this variant was detected in the UK as far back as April and is actually as contiguous as reported why has it taken 8 months to become rampant ?

Stop asking sensible questions.

Because it now seems to be a more dominant strain in the SE of England. The UK hasn't exactly been a paragon of anything during this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

It's possible that all strains of Covid are highly contagious.

Studies in Korea have produced evidence that it can travel 6m.

A high-school student in South Korea became infected with COVID-19 within just five minutes of sitting 20 feet away from an infected person, a new study found.
    The epidemiological team behind the study used cellphone data, video footage, genome sequencing, and even a re-creation of the situation to come to their conclusion.

Maybe this is why flu season has been practically eliminated by lockdown measures but Covid hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Stop asking sensible questions.

It wasn't in the UK in April. It's September.

So maybe not so sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's possible that all strains of Covid are highly contagious.

Studies in Korea have produced evidence that it can travel 6m.

Maybe this is why flu season has been practically eliminated by lockdown measures but Covid hasn't.

The reason COVID-19 is dangerous is because it is highly contagious, not because of lethality. Some report said this strain could be up to 70% more contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Time to stop flights. It won’t stop everyone travelling, but it’ll easy reduce the amount of new strain virus entering the country, and that will leave us better prepared to stop it spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

We should have stopped flights to the UK in march, or back when planes were invented, but the other than the missed opportunities in the past the second best time is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The one thing I've learned from NPHET, the government, the Irish media and their cheerleaders is that we could all be confined to barracks 24/7 to prevent the spread and the planes will still be landing without any mention of us doing otherwise.

Advertisement