Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great to be back, but Winter Golf can suck..

• 07-12-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Was playing a 4ball saturday,
    Hitting well, Hit one on a straight right down the middle of fairway..

We walked down, it was nowhere to be seen. This happened on 2 holes.

So I scratched the hole.
    just a rant about how annoying it is when the ground swallows the ball.

The course was closed about 20 mins after we finished the round so shows how bad the weather was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Yeah the excitement to be back isn't near what it was like a few months ago when we got out in short sleeves :D

We had a couple of lost balls and ones that took a good search to find. To lose one in the middle of the fairway though is pretty bad luck alright :(

We use a winter rule to take a drop as close as possible to where you suspect the lost ball to be (under penalty of one shot). Keeps you in the hole at least as you'll likely have not played a provisional if you saw it go somewhere relatively safe to find in normal playing conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Yeah, can relate....played on Friday morning and it was baltic...course was frozen but playable.....it was a "frost" course so only 12 holes were open and all temporary greens which were still firm from the frost. It was like putting on concrete and a completely lottery whether you'd hole a put or not from any kind of distance.....was disappointing after waiting so long to get out but we consoled ourselves in being happy just to be out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

I know not everyone likes the range, but I've often found to enjoy hitting 100 shots at the driving range more enjoyable during the winter than 40-50 shots on the a frozen/muddy course. Didn't stop me playing 9 on Saturday though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It can be an absolute pain. Really low lying sun which leads to losing the path of the ball. Then if you do see it, it might be buried in leaves. And if there are no leaves, it might still be plugged :pac:

It can be nice to get out an a chilly morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Kiith wrote: »
    It can be an absolute pain. Really low lying sun which leads to losing the path of the ball. Then if you do see it, it might be buried in leaves. And if there are no leaves, it might still be plugged :pac:

Yeah. Lost a ball on Sunday hitting into the sun, felt good off the face of the 3 wood, but I had no idea whatsoever where it went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Endured a mud bath myself yesterday. My other 3 playing partners pulled out so I was by myself and having minded a one year old for a lot of week previous the wind and rain wasn't going to deny me. It was tough sledding for 9 holes especially pushing a trolley around. Plugged balls and mud spatter are my main gripe. I envy those who are members of links courses. I never realised it can be so hard to find a golf ball on the fairway. You have no hope if you pass it and coming at the ball from the opposite angle. On the course I play the ball could be swallowed almost with the mud nearly covering the top of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had the same issue myself on Saturday. Hit an 8 iron that landed just short of the green on a Par 3 exactly on line with the flag. Took three of us about 2 minutes to find it because it was so buried, could just about make out the top of the ball. Then on the last hole hit what I thought was a nice drive and never found the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭willabur

got absolutely drenched yesterday, was wearing water "proofs" but still managed to have that sensation where my balls were swimming in me jocks.

Managed 12 holes before calling it a day. Links course so no mud but two of the greens were nearly fully under water. It was fun though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Times like this it makes me appreciate being a member of a links clubs.

Played 9 on Saturday and the course in as good condition as if seen, not a single mud ball. Lucky with the weather too and played the round in just an under armour and t shirt.

Looking forward to playing 18 tomorrow now

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

willabur wrote: »
    still managed to have that sensation where my balls were swimming in me jocks.

That’s a fantastic turn of phrase, I think I’ll be using that in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Kiith wrote: »

Low Lying sun has actually been what I have found the worst. On sat I was 10 yds short of the green and couldn't see the pin due to sun, found it hard to commit to shot and ended up duffing it into bunker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Home course shut for the weekend :( to be fair the weather is awful but was looking forward to a round. Anyone recommend any non links course in the Clare/Limerick/Galway region that handles the rain reasonably well and that may be open this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Claremorris so far is open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Played yesterday and while our course has very good drainage and fairways and greens were fine it is getting very soft in many places to a point where people do damage just by walking around. Then more rain tonight today and more. Winter golf can suck alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played today in absolutely terrible weather. Wind ,rain and wind chill of below minus. I'm just not cut out for that weather, takes the fun out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

I'm sick of losing balls from good drives, costing me a fortune in balls every round! I'll have to invest in some ****e balls for the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got the rules / regulations etc for our winter league there at the weekend, looking out at the weather and how wet the ground is - I just have no interest in playing parkland this time of year so think I'll give it a skip. Lashing rain here in the midland now again and a fog down

Weekend Summed up in 1 word,,,, SPLAT!

lpbjihmbmc661.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Oh to live by the coast and be a member of a links course. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Weekend Summed up in 1 word,,,, SPLAT!

lpbjihmbmc661.jpg

Ball is remarkably clean.

• Advertisement

Ball is remarkably clean.

1st tee shot, New ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Played Corballis yesterday in awful wind and rain. It was a real challenge at times. Thought the course was in great condition. The greens were sensational, as good as you would expect in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Never seen Links courses so wet amazing.

Have still had great days on the course and you appreciate getting out more.

Over the years - have definitely hardened to tougher and colder conditions - all about the clothing / layers and equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

With the amount of rain yesterday and last night I expected the worst when going to the course today. The rough on the first 2 holes was like a bog but the the rest of the course was in great nick.

Very enjoyable morning for a game in the end and got to try out my new golf hoodie! Not sure if it was the hoodie or the other 4 layers that was restricting my swing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Played Carne this morning, gave up after 9 :-( I can manage the wet but the combination of high winds and wind chill took whatever enjoyment I could have got, out of it. Out again in the morning hopefully the wind chill and gusts will have vanished...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Meant to be playing later, 27km/h winds, is that far too bad to be playing golf in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Meant to be playing later, 27km/h winds, is that far too bad to be playing golf in?

Nah that's not too bad, over 35 ish and it's probably best avoided.

Advertisement