Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officers 2019 in Revenue - Audit and Compliance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MiggyB

KRIORDAN22
    Were you on the law panel and offered a position in law section? Make sure you find out where you are placed for your other locations that could influence decision. Will be working from home for foreseeable so will make no difference for now and if back to office will only be 1 or two days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

kriordan22 wrote: »
    I have been offered a position in Cork for the law panel. Not my first choice location, but worried no positions will arise in my chosen locations...

Congrats on getting an offer!! If it was me, I would base my decision on what number placing I came on the Law panel or any of the other panels for my preferred locations.
    If you got 1 or 2 then I would hold tough as you would be next in line for that location when positions become available. There is 10 months left in this competition and if there is as many retirements as mentioned on this thread about to happen, there will certainly be positions available.
    On the other hand you could accept Cork as you more than likely will be working from home for the foreseeable & put your name on the transfer list ASAP for your preferred location.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kriordan22

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice. I didn't expect to even reach the panel, so at least it's nice to get an offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Got an offer for donegal on accounting panel. In two minds about taking it. Just starting to get a lot more responsibility in my current job and recently got a decent pay bump. Taking AO slot would mean a pay cut.

I think the job would do my career wonders 10 years down the line, one day I hope to open my own practice and I think this would be exactly what I need. But I don't think I can afford the up front financial hit I'd have to take.

The job is right on my doorstep too. Which makes it an even harder decision

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭starstothesun

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice. I didn't expect to even reach the panel, so at least it's nice to get an offer :)

A lot of AO positions tend to be in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway so consider your options as i know people sitting on panels for months at number 1 waiting for a location not as big as the cities mentioned above that no position ever came up for them.. working from home looks as if it will be in for a long time too.. would cork be far for you to travel if you accepted?

• Advertisement

A lot of AO positions tend to be in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway so consider your options as i know people sitting on panels for months at number 1 waiting for a location not as big as the cities mentioned above that no position ever came up for them.. working from home looks as if it will be in for a long time too.. would cork be far for you to travel if you accepted?

My chosen location is Limerick so I'm leaning towards holding out... Hopefully there will be something down the line. Hard to know what the right decision is... Cork would be about 1.5 hours away from me, with not great roads. I don't think it's worth the hit that my personal life would take. If it had been 2 or 3 years ago I'd have probably gone to the moon for the job, but now I'm not so sure...

I'm just doing some research on AO pay scales and seem to have come up against some inconsistencies

Anyone any idea why

1. AO Revenue Booklet suggests starting salary is €32,405
    2. Forsa.ie suggests starting salary is €33,053
    3. Circular from Dept of Pub Exp suggests salary is €31,644

I know there was a 2% (or so) increase recently, which probably explains the difference in wage per Forsa.ie and the Revenue Booklet

I don't understand the €31,644 per the Dept of PE circular? Is this the net pay? i.e. gross less pension contribution? If so, my pension contribution for the year would be €1400???

Also, I assume you are automatically entitled to the increments each year? Or does this have to be reviewed and approved each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭doc22

I'm just doing some research on AO pay scales and seem to have come up against some inconsistencies

Anyone any idea why

1. AO Revenue Booklet suggests starting salary is €32,405
    2. Forsa.ie suggests starting salary is €33,053
    3. Circular from Dept of Pub Exp suggests salary is €31,644

I know there was a 2% (or so) increase recently, which probably explains the difference in wage per Forsa.ie and the Revenue Booklet

I don't understand the €31,644 per the Dept of PE circular? Is this the net pay? i.e. gross less pension contribution? If so, my pension contribution for the year would be €1400???

Also, I assume you are automatically entitled to the increments each year? Or does this have to be reviewed and approved each year?
    Forsa would be the latest pay
    Pension con would be in or around that(increasing with relevant pay ie a CO starting at 24k would pay little)
    Increments are based on satisfactory PMDS (annual performance review)

Thanks for the info.

How difficult is it to achieve annual pay rise? Are increases fairly common or would I expect to go a couple of years without. I'm currently on 42k so dropping to 33k is not really viable if I was still likely to be on 33k in 3 years time

Thanks for the info.

How difficult is it to achieve annual pay rise? Are increases fairly common or would I expect to go a couple of years without. I'm currently on 42k so dropping to 33k is not really viable if I was still likely to be on 33k in 3 years time

I wouldn't worry about it, I'd be more concerned if I liked the work vs my current role....
    Hi All,

Just looking for some info

Recently been offered a position as Admin Officer in northwest regional office. I've been offered this from the accounting panel

What might I expect to be doing on a day to day basis. I've checked the handbook and the job role seems diverse but I assume majority of the duties listed within this handbook (tax research, transfer pricing, statistical analysis etc.) will vary depending on the panel you've been pulled from and the particular office/department you are assigned

As a candiate pulled from the accounting panel and the fact that I would be based in a regional office in Donegal, would I be right to assume the majority of my work will likely be customs/tax audit based??

Also, I currently file tax returns for some small business owners on the side. I assume I would be obliged to stop this??

Any help is much appreciated. I have until tomorrow afternoon to respond to the offer. As it stands, I would need to take a hefty pay cut were I to accept the offer, but the opportunity could be too good to turn down

Donegal Accounting panel would be more then likely be Audit, with Brexit Customs could be an option depending on office location (i.e Bridgend&main street).Tax research, transfer pricing, statistical analysis etc would be more tax,law and data analytics panel roles in Dublin based divisions.

Working in Revenue you couldn't be providing tax advice/returns privately and have conflicts of interests(i.e a judge can't work as a barrister)

In Regional locations you're more likely to have staff management responsibilities as an AO(perhaps not initially) leading audits, managing EO auditors and perhaps CO's on admin side. It'll be a learning curve as a fair portion of AO's come from within Revenue be that as EOs or less likely CO's and perhaps already received internal tax training . Specialized AOs are expected to have much of this knowledge already and hit the ground running.like anything some enjoy the role some don't(pressure of closing audits and chasing info that people don't want to give). It's not your typical civil service role....

• Advertisement

doc22 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, I'd be more concerned if I liked the work vs my current role....

Donegal Accounting panel would be more then likely be Audit, with Brexit Customs could be an option depending on office location (i.e Bridgend&main street).Tax research, transfer pricing, statistical analysis etc would be more tax,law and data analytics panel roles in Dublin based divisions.

Working in Revenue you couldn't be providing tax advice/returns privately and have conflicts of interests(i.e a judge can't work as a barrister)

In Regional locations you're more likely to have staff management responsibilities as an AO(perhaps not initially) leading audits, managing EO auditors and perhaps CO's on admin side. It'll be a learning curve as a fair portion of AO's come from within Revenue be that as EOs or less likely CO's and perhaps already received internal tax training . Specialized AOs are expected to have much of this knowledge already and hit the ground running.like anything some enjoy the role some don't(pressure of closing audits and chasing info that people don't want to give). It's not your typical civil service role....

Would that mean if you are on the law panel you are unlikely to get offered anywhere but Dublin? I was offered Cork and want to hold out for Limerick, but I'm not sure how likely it is that another offer will come. I'm number 1 on the law panel for Limerick but I'm sure there are numerous people looking for Limerick on the tax and accounting panels etc.

Would that mean if you are on the law panel you are unlikely to get offered anywhere but Dublin? I was offered Cork and want to hold out for Limerick, but I'm not sure how likely it is that another offer will come. I'm number 1 on the law panel for Limerick but I'm sure there are numerous people looking for Limerick on the tax and accounting panels etc.

NO! Revenue have a huge base in Limerick with the CGs and may need law AOs, and in Cork there's more then likely a policy/legislative district there too hence the offer. But in general its the paneled AO's in tax/Acc are going into regional offices to work in Audit roles.

doc22 wrote: »
    NO! Revenue have a huge base in Limerick with the CGs and may need law AOs, and in Cork there's more then likely a policy/legislative district there too hence the offer. But in general its the paneled AO's in tax/Acc are going into regional offices to work in Audit roles.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

I assume there won't be any more offers til well after Christmas at this stage? Does anyone know how many offers have been made so far or even how many people panelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 billyb1993

I'm probably in the wrong place but I need some information.. I'm due to start in dublin port with customs but I still havnt been told what the shift pattern is. Would be fantastic if someone could give me a heads up !

billyb1993 wrote: »
    I'm probably in the wrong place but I need some information.. I'm due to start in dublin port with customs but I still havnt been told what the shift pattern is. Would be fantastic if someone could give me a heads up !

Shift pattern was posted in Clerical Officer 2020 thread in the last week or so, I'd imagine it's the same shift pattern regardless of grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MiggyB

My chosen location is Limerick so I'm leaning towards holding out... Hopefully there will be something down the line. Hard to know what the right decision is... Cork would be about 1.5 hours away from me, with not great roads. I don't think it's worth the hit that my personal life would take. If it had been 2 or 3 years ago I'd have probably gone to the moon for the job, but now I'm not so sure...

I would assume that you have a great chance of being called for Limerick. Ring and ask if any staff requests exist for Law in Limerick or if you know anybody working in revenue Limerick or revenue in general they would be able to know if vacancies exist..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmaneiser

Any movement on the data analytics panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Happy new year.

Had anyone due to start heard anything about the start process. Or anyone that started recently are you work from home.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Anonire wrote: »
    Happy new year.

Had anyone due to start heard anything about the start process. Or anyone that started recently are you work from home.

Thanks

The whole of Revenue (with very limited exceptions) are WFH, have been since March and will be for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Thanks barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kilkenny Tom

Anyone hear of movement, particularly on the data analytics panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Happy New Year Folks :) Has anyone heard of any movement on the accounting panel? My counties are Westmeath, Limerick and Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭3002

Anonire wrote: »
    Happy new year.

Thanks

Apologies for not repling sooner, been offline for a while.
    I got an email Xmas week that my place was reached on the Accounting panel for Cork.
    On the 22nd Dec, I received an email stating I had 5 business days to get my verification documents sent by email. No further update or request since then. I'm thinking with Xmas & New Years leave, we might hear more this week or next hopefully.
    Majority of Revenue staff are working remotely & will continue that way for a while yet.

3002 wrote: »
    Apologies for not repling sooner, been offline for a while.
    I got an email Xmas week that my place was reached on the Accounting panel for Cork.
    On the 22nd Dec, I received an email stating I had 5 business days to get my verification documents sent by email. No further update or request since then. I'm thinking with Xmas & New Years leave, we might hear more this week or next hopefully.
    Majority of Revenue staff are working remotely & will continue that way for a while yet.

What documents did you have to submit, are individual transcripts required etc?

Happy New Year Folks :) Has anyone heard of any movement on the accounting panel? My counties are Westmeath, Limerick and Galway

My place has been reached on the Accounting panel for Cork.
    I was no. 5 on the Accounting Panel for Limerick so if your panel number is after 5, you can move up a place as I will be removed from the Limerick panel once my verification documents have been verified. Hopefully there is movement on one of your panels soon.

Ollie321 wrote: »
    What documents did you have to submit, are individual transcripts required etc?

Yes Ollie321, my degree script was requested. Had to complete a link to allow Garda Vetting & also a Health & Character self declaration was to be read, signed & returned.

Yes Ollie321, my degree script was requested. Had to complete a link to allow Garda Vetting & also a Health & Character self declaration was to be read, signed & returned.

Thanks for getting back to me. Best of luck in your new role, let us know when you get a start date and how it go's for you!

Ollie321 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me. Best of luck in your new role, let us know when you get a start date and how it go's for you!

Thanks a mill. Will do & hope your place is reached soon Ollie321.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

My place has been reached on the Accounting panel for Cork.
    I was no. 5 on the Accounting Panel for Limerick so if your panel number is after 5, you can move up a place as I will be removed from the Limerick panel once my verification documents have been verified. Hopefully there is movement on one of your panels soon.

Congratulations and well done!! And there you were getting bothered when you were deciding whether to accept or decline Limerick. All good things come to those who wait!!! Have you got a start date?

I was offered Limerick also for the Taxation panel at the beginning of December but also declined as it wouldn't have been my preferred location. Thankfully, I was in a position to refuse as I reached high in other locations on that panel as well as the Accounting one.

What number were you for Cork in the Accounting panel? I reached 1 for Taxation & 4 for Accounting for Cork but haven't heard anything yet. I wonder what the difference is in the job spec for each panel? Would anyone know.

Best of luck in your new role;)

Advertisement