Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Connects Shankill

• 14-12-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi everyone!

Hope this is the right thread area.

I just was wondering does anyone have any information about the new bus connects service getting put into Shankill. I will be moving down near Corbawn lane, and apparently, they will be closing the road access to Corbawn Lane?

Is this actually happening and does anyone have the exact info on what's happening?

I have been on Shankill matters, and will be emailing tomorrow (before the 16th) to object against it - but just wanted to put this out here to see if anyone has information on what exactly the plan is for Shankill and how bad it will actually be (as I'm not very familiar with the area)

Any information you can send on would be great or if there is another thread - please send the link as couldn't find it.

Thanks a million

Comments

There are literally thousands of people living off corbawn lane. I'm sure there will be road access. Perhaps one road is getting closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wholesome19

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are literally thousands of people living off corbawn lane. I'm sure there will be road access. Perhaps one road is getting closed?

We were trying to look on the map and can only see one road that goes down to Corbawn. Is there another road out?

We were trying to look on the map and can only see one road that goes down to Corbawn. Is there another road out?

Well corbawn lane splits in two at the roundabout beside the gardai station, then goes either side of the supermarket.Maybe they will close one side?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The relevant section here:
    The junction between Dublin Road and Shanganagh Road is proposed to be upgraded to a signalised junction with new pedestrian crossing facilities and Signal Controlled Priority. Access from Corbawn Lane on to Shanganagh Road will be an exit only access. A dedicated right-turn lane is proposed from Shanganagh Road onto Beechfield Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

CatInABox wrote: »
    The relevant section here:

what a mess, getting rid of roudabouts never makes things better and that on path cycle lane is a disaster, why would you force cyclists wanting to turn left out of corbawn right into pedestrian lights? The cycle lane there is stupid and dangerous. the bus lane heading north is also far too short to be anyway practical, 4-5 cars at lights and bus won't be able to clear it surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭easyvision

what a mess, getting rid of roudabouts never makes things better and that on path cycle lane is a disaster, why would you force cyclists wanting to turn left out of corbawn right into pedestrian lights? The cycle lane there is stupid and dangerous. the bus lane heading north is also far too short to be anyway practical, 4-5 cars at lights and bus won't be able to clear it surely?

I don’t get why lately they are getting rid of roundabouts! Same at cherrywood. Used to flow freely now it backs up. A roundabout is always faster at clearing traffic, clearly people who design don’t actually drive these roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There will be access, as described.
    Please don't object a) not knowing what you're objecting to b) before you even live there and know the roads!
    Bus lanes are desperately needed in the area, the bus service is useless the way it is, held up by cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wholesome19

strandroad wrote: »
    There will be access, as described.
    Please don't object a) not knowing what you're objecting to b) before you even live there and know the roads!
    Bus lanes are desperately needed in the area, the bus service is useless the way it is, held up by cars.

Ok grand, thats why were on here...trying to figure out whats going on. Figured the road out, its not too bad...though I have no idea of congestion around there. However if its only local residents if should be fine I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Getting rid of that roundabout is not a bad idea. I think the new junction actually improves things for buses to bray to become quicker. When I was using a 45/84/84a to Bray before through that old roundabout; the way the bus was turning on it used to clip a section of footpath which makes the bus hit off against it sometimes which annoyed me a little bit. This new preferred design does make bus journeys that little bit more bearable if I use a new bus route on it to go to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

While I’m generally in favour of Bus Connects, and the improvements it brings to both bus and cycling infrastructure, this looks a mess.

The bus lane on the Dublin Road heading into Shankill village is a good idea. A segregated cycle lane here is also a good idea, in principle.

Now, the problems. How are cyclists in this lane supposed to access Shankill village? Furthermore, how are cyclists coming up Corbawn Lane supposed to access Shankill village? It looks like they will end up on a shared foot/cycle path being directed down Corbawn Lane/towards Dublin, respectively, with the only way to the village being a footpath.

Then, if cyclists want to go down Corbawn lane from the Dublin Road southbound, it looks like they’ll end up being turfed out into the road, on the wrong side, half way to the Dorney Park roundabout.

Why is vehicular access to Corbawn Lane heading towards the station being closed off, yet at the same time the road between the new junction and the Dorney Park roundabout is being kept two way for general traffic? There is one house, one, with an entrance onto this section of road! Why not just make it one way altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭cgcsb

easyvision wrote: »
    I don’t get why lately they are getting rid of roundabouts! Same at cherrywood. Used to flow freely now it backs up. A roundabout is always faster at clearing traffic, clearly people who design don’t actually drive these roads!

Roundabouts are the highest capacity at grade junction for cars but are the worst type of junction for pedestrians and cyclists in terms of safety and journey time. Pedestrians and cyclists are higher priority than cars, hence removal of roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Breezer wrote: »

Now, the problems. How are cyclists in this lane supposed to access Shankill village?

there's no cycle lane through the village, so at that point you're onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

cgcsb wrote: »
    Roundabouts are the highest capacity at grade junction for cars

Depends on the size of the roundabout. Galway has been steadily replacing their infamous roundabouts with signalised junctions which are more efficient and less liable to seizing up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's no cycle lane through the village, so at that point you're onto the road.

You’re not even onto the road though, according to this map, unless I’m reading it wrong. Coming from the Dublin direction, you’re off down Corbawn Lane, or onto the footpath towards the village. Coming from Corbawn Lane, you’re onto a two cycle track heading away from the village, or onto the footpath towards the village.

Getting to the village involves swerving off the marked cycling route. Drivers will be delighted with any cyclist doing that.

Edit: Actually, now I think about this, I remember seeing an older plan that has cyclists deviating off the main road, down through Dorney Court/Eton Wood, over to Quinn’s Road and back up onto the main road again. Taking cyclists out of a village seems a bit silly to me, but at least the map makes sense if that’s the case?

It still means a cyclist who actually wants to access the village has to do some swerving, which is hardly ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Breezer wrote: »
    Edit: Actually, now I think about this, I remember seeing an older plan that has cyclists deviating off the main road, down through Dorney Court/Eton Wood, over to Quinn’s Road and back up onto the main road again. Taking cyclists out of a village seems a bit silly to me, but at least the map makes sense if that’s the case?

It still means a cyclist who actually wants to access the village has to do some swerving, which is hardly ideal.

I think that diversion has been removed from the new plans

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cgcsb wrote: »
    Roundabouts are the highest capacity at grade junction for cars but are the worst type of junction for pedestrians and cyclists in terms of safety and journey time. Pedestrians and cyclists are higher priority than cars, hence removal of roundabouts.

:confused:
    since when?, the pedestrian cycle at lights in Ireland is appalling in general, at least a roundabout, with no lights can be crossed ad-hoc instead of having to wait up to 2 minutes for a pedestrian cycle to come up at lights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

:confused:
    since when?, the pedestrian cycle at lights in Ireland is appalling in general, at least a roundabout, with no lights can be crossed ad-hoc instead of having to wait up to 2 minutes for a pedestrian cycle to come up at lights.

By whom? Kids? Elderly? Mobility impaired?

You may be able to cross them. I can cross them. But junctions shouldn't be designed around the abilities of a highly mobile 20-something year old. Roundabouts create huge permeability and safety issues for pedestrians and cyclists. They don't belong on urban roads.

Advertisement