Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tribes of Europa [Netflix]

• 17-12-2020 1:07pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Another European (German?) production for Netflix; it's nice to see the service committing to more non-American productions.

The Apple+ thread suggested EU law (will?) require a 30% minimum of productions based in the EU - so maybe this uptick in Netflix series based here is part of that? *shrug*

Either way, this looks quite trashy sure, but might turn out to be entertaining. Spotted at least one Dark alumni too ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

pixelburp wrote: »
    Another European (German?) production for Netflix; it's nice to see the service committing to more non-American productions.

The Apple+ thread suggested EU law (will?) require a 30% minimum of productions based in the EU - so maybe this uptick in Netflix series based here is part of that? *shrug*

Either way, this looks quite trashy sure, but might turn out to be entertaining. Spotted at least one Dark alumni too ...

Isn't this from the makers of Dark?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer. Definitely looks like it could be breezy fun if executed right:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dropped into Netflix today for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Thought this was good fun. Hopefully makes it back for a second season.

• Advertisement

Caught the first episode and it's decent. Very much a table setter that sets up the scenario and starting positions but it's not bad. At 6 episodes as well, I don't foresee it wearing out its welcome too fast either.

Nothing revolutionary by any means but the setting is different enough, the teenage characters not as horribly angst ridden as American counterparts tend to be. It's also fairly bloody so it's not as YA as I thought it would be.

"The Cube" is pure Mystery Box territory though, literally. I'll adjust my expectations for disappointment as to its purpose lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Xaniaj wrote: »
    Isn't this from the makers of Dark?

It looks like the same producers not writers plus a couple of actors like the guy who played Ulrich. I haven't seen it but am interested given Dark was pretty spectacular. Might be too much to expect similar amazingness!?!

Anyone watch both. Is it anywhere near the same league as Dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Wasn't a bad watch. Netflix could do with more quality sci fi shows, so this is very much welcomed.

It looks like the same producers not writers plus a couple of actors like the guy who played Ulrich. I haven't seen it but am interested given Dark was pretty spectacular. Might be too much to expect similar amazingness!?!

Anyone watch both. Is it anywhere near the same league as Dark?

I've only watched the first episode but no, it's a completely different kind of show. Very straightforward post-apocalyptic story and doesn't seem to be aiming as high as Dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

I wonder is it possible to watch this in the original German and with subtitles rather than the patchy dubbed English?

I watched this with my 12 year old and he gave up after 10 minutes - and to be honest it didn't really do it for me - I'd rather watch Firefly :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wonder is it possible to watch this in the original German and with subtitles rather than the patchy dubbed English?

I watched this with my 12 year old and he gave up after 10 minutes - and to be honest it didn't really do it for me - I'd rather watch Firefly :-)

On Netflix, pause then hit Audio up top left and change audio track to German, subtitles should still say English, if not choose them.
    I don't know how anyone can watch something dubbed, so I feel your pain!
    I've watched 3 eps, it's not great IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just finished it, I was caught off guard a bit by the ending because for some reason I presumed it was 10 episodes. It was okay, not terrible and not great. Seems odd the way the characters would jump between English and German. I'd watch a 2nd season, interesting angle how each sibling is taking a different path.

Having started the damn thread, forgot to actually finish this - which at only 6 episodes wasn't asking much of me lol

Overall, I liked it. Unfussy, uncomplicated drama that had 3 fairly interesting stories, following each of the main family's children. The youngest, the one carry Der Cube, was the most enjoyable -if only for his older mentor/companion stealing every scene with blatant Han Solo rogue-charisma.

Anyone who does decide to watch it should be warned; the leads might be teenagers, but the open sex & violence would swing suitability far older than one mither otherwise presume.

Advertisement