Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cassette Decks - Better Than I Remember?

• 07-12-2020 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭

535486.jpg

With a 3.5 year old who is and will grow up in a world of streaming I decided I wanted to get something mechanical, something that would be alien to what she'll be familiar with when she's older. Something that I used when I was small. In my setup at the moment I have a network streamer/CD player, there's a minidisc deck under the bed so I decided a cassette deck was the way to go. I didn't want something with electronic buttons or an electronic VU meter so an old set was the way to go.
    I had a goo on eBay and found the Teac set above. Mechanical buttons and old fashioned VU meters. I hadn't intended to actually put it into use, as it was more to be a talking point for when she was older but it actually sounds really well running through a Yamaha A-S501 and a set of Boston Accoustics A25 speakers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Depends on the hardware really! There's such a wide range, and then in tape itself too, you can get a lot of variance in quality.

I used to have an Akai 4000D that I sold a few years back, you'd want to hear the quality from proper store bought reel to reel tape, it's amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was yesterday handed the tape deck my dad bought when i was in my late teens - so it's at least 25 years old. i got great use of it when i was younger, but i've not powered it on since being handed it yesterday (probably 10-15 years since it was last used) but i suspect the rubber bands in it would be shot at this stage. is there a go-to site for ordering new ones?

it's a slightly newer one than this (it's the 520B rather than the 520):
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/tc-k520.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think in most cases eBay is the usual place to find them. I just had a quick look and there are some kits listed for the TC-K520. Hopefully they'd be compatible.

https://www.cassettedeck.org/sony/tc-k520 - This is a pretty handy resource to have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like this will need a bit of work, it'll intermittently FF and REW but won't play. argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6 is a good forum for info and help. Search by your cassette deck name and chances are someone has already serviced one and listed which drive belts work with it

• Advertisement

cheers; things got a little worse (just constant whirring when you power it on) and i got it open with a bit of faff, and the main drive belt from the motor has snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What's a Nakamichi twin deck, both auto-reverse, worth? Don't know model no. offhand. Anyone hazard a guess?

Not your ornery onager

i was browsing adverts earlier to gain an idea of how much a bunch of old separates i have would be worth, and pretty much every ad i found had no responses so it's hard to tell.
    nakamichi would be a very good name in cassette decks though. i've just seen one asking STG1.7k on ebay...

are you sure it's a nakamichi though?
    https://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=23408

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jesus, I was wondering why I couldn't find any twin deck models! It's in storage, but I was sure it was a Nakamichi. :O

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement