Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retirement options in Mayo/Galway

Options
  • 11-12-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are set to retire within the next 5 years. We would love to buy/build a small home on the west coast with scenic views, ideally within a short walk to beach or coast. It's also important to be close to a town with nice range of shops, pubs, restaurants.
    What are our options and are there other issues we should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

My wife and I are set to retire within the next 5 years. We would love to buy/build a small home on the west coast with scenic views, ideally within a short walk to beach or coast. It's also important to be close to a town with nice range of shops, pubs, restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Gorteen wrote: »

Clifden ? One thing about living out West is it gets a hell of a lot of rain ! Also, you’ll spend a lot of time in your car if you want to move about unless you manage to live directly in a village. Spiddal would suit what you’re looking for in that case, right beside the coast and quiet enough ! Not too far from Galway city too !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Kinvarra is also a nice spot and is well catered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would imagine with Planning restrictions it would be far easier for you to purchase than build. In fact, I'd guess it would probably be the only way.

There's always plenty of nice places for sale, but won't be cheap considering what you are looking for.

Check out the usual property sites. One thing to note, around Westport/Clew Bay the last recession didn't impact prices too much so doubt you'd be getting a bargain irrespective of the 'looming' recession.

All the best and good luck. You will be more than welcomed down this side.

I would imagine with Planning restrictions it would be far easier for you to purchase than build. In fact, I'd guess it would probably be the only way.

There's always plenty of nice places for sale, but won't be cheap considering what you are looking for.

Check out the usual property sites. One thing to note, around Westport/Clew Bay the last recession didn't impact prices too much so doubt you'd be getting a bargain irrespective of the 'looming' recession.

All the best and good luck. You will be more than welcomed down this side.

I imagine Westport is the most appropriate town to choose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I imagine Westport is the most appropriate town to choose?

For your wishlist, yes. But it'll come at a premium vs elsewhere in Mayo. Plenty of other options depending on the priorities of your wishlist.

The best advice may be to spend a few weekends away in Mayo to help form your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's also important to be close to a town with nice range of shops, pubs, restaurants.

What is your defination of "town", are you thinking of something the size of Ballina/Westport/Ennis or a Village like Spiddal/Carraroe/Kinvara

What is your defination of "town", are you thinking of something the size of Ballina/Westport/Ennis or a Village like Spiddal/Carraroe/Kinvara

Good size supermarket, health centre, restaurants, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

ya were going to mayo a few days ago now your going to galway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Good size supermarket, health centre, restaurants, etc

Barna would be nice . Budget would dictate how close to the city you could get . The Claddagh would be a smashing spot right beside the sea and city but not quite rural either

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    ya were going to mayo a few days ago now your going to galway :confused:

I've posted in Galway and Mayo. Not decided which county suits us best. Is that ok with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both threads joined in West forum that encompass all Western counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I'd go with furbogh. Right in the middle of Barna and Spiddel. Nice beach and lovely pub/resturant.Barna has become for too built up in my opinion. A couple of years from now Furbogh will be the new (Old) Barna. There's been a lot of building going on out there even in the last year.
    sorry just realised this is months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭crusd

Newport.

Scenic town, on the greenway, a few food options in the town, close enough to Westport but without the crowds, on clew bay, not far from beaches, loads of walking and hiking options, Castlebar close enough also for a more commercial town. Ok, for a large Supermarket you would need to go to Westport, but its only 12km, and if it bothered you that much there is always online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There probably aren't many towns on the coast that would meet your requirements of multiple restaurants, health centre etc. Westport is the obvious one. Louisburgh and Newport would offer cheaper alternatives that have more limited facilities but are both still within easy striking distance of Westport. Some lovely beaches around Louisburgh in particular, but it's a question of whether the town has enough amenities for you.

Is Westport more 'commercial' than Castlebar for shopping, supermarkets, etc? I always assumed the reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Vegasroger

I just don't think mayo can provide everything you want on your checklist.

Your going to have to get as close to Galway city as possible if your wanting the nice selection of restaurants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭crusd

Thats what I mean, Castlebar is more commercial. For supermarkets though, Westport has Tesco, Lidl and Supervalu. With Castlebar having Dunnes, Aldi, Tesco, Lidl and Supervalu.

Advertisement