Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MI 8 (Cruise Tirade at Crew Leaked)

• 16-12-2020 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭

To be fair to him, bar a few cringey Cruise-isms about his self importance, is he all that wrong to bollock them over breach of Coronavirus protocols?

He's a producer I know and is partially talking out of his pocket given they've suffered shutdowns on the production already, but he comes across as genuine when talking about how jobs have been gutted in the industry.

Will be interesting to see how Cruise reacts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I heard this on the radio this morning, have to agree with him 100%. He's in charge and wants to keep going and has to read the riot act to the people that are ignoring the very specific requirements. p1ss about with them and and you're going to get fired... SIMPLE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's one of the few shoots active while so much of the film industry remains dead, peoples' jobs and livelihoods on hold. I don't like bosses screaming in employees faces but in this case he would be dead right. Hollywood's watching, and careers depend on this shoot.

The only caveat would be that I'm curious as to the severity of the transgression that earned the tongue lashing. If it were a trivial, passing failure then ... eh. Maybe overkill by Cruise. But only maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's one of the few shoots active while so much of the film industry remains dead, peoples' jobs and livelihoods on hold. I don't like bosses screaming in employees faces but in this case he would be dead right. Hollywood's watching, and careers depend on this shoot.

The only caveat would be that I'm curious as to the severity of the transgression that earned the tongue lashing. If it were a trivial, passing failure then ... eh. Maybe overkill by Cruise. But only maybe.

Two people huddled over a screen apparently.

Hopefully Cruise doesn't row back other than accept he might have been OTT a bit. As pointed out he is right in fairness and based on the shutdowns, the crew have clearly messed up before.

Beyond the cheap rant headlines, reaction so far seems to be fair on him on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Is Cruise also a director ?

If you look at the pictures of him on set it looks like he is directing the crew.

I believe Stallone also ghost directs most of his films.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Is Cruise also a director ?

If you look at the pictures of him on set it looks like he is directing the crew.

I believe Stallone also ghost directs most of his films.

Producer, director and actor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Like most of these leaked things, we're only hearing one side of the situation

But I think, given the severity of the pandemic, he was justified to lose it like this if it was protocols breach. According to Wiki, they've had to close down the set once already when 12 crew members tested positive

Btw; isn't it MI 7 that they're currently filming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Like most of these leaked things we're only hearing one side of things

But I think, given the severity of the situation, he was justified to lose it like this if it was protocols breach. According to Wiki, they've had to close down the set once already when 12 crew memebers tested positive

Btw; isn't it MI 7 that they're currently filming?

technically, yes; they're shooting number 7 and 8 back-to-back. This was decided before CoVid. One might wonder if it's cos Cruise ain't getting any younger & they're maximising the number of MI they can churn out with him capable of the kind of endangerment the series is now known for.

technically, yes; they're shooting number 7 and 8 back-to-back. This was decided before CoVid. One might wonder if it's cos Cruise ain't getting any younger & they're maximising the number of MI they can churn out with him capable of the kind of endangerment the series is now known for.

Ah yes, I see that now on the Wiki page opening

And I'm seeing Tom is 58 now! That's crazy. His face is noticeably older in films in recent years, but he'd still pass for 50

This was due to be out on November 19th. I'm guessing big blockbusters like this are being rescheduled for April at earliest, James Bond 25 style

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lawred2 wrote: »
    Producer, director and actor
    Christopher McQuarrie is the actual director but given their positive history and Cruise as producer, the lines are gonna be blurred.

That tirade was exceptionally lengthy. More like someone losing their sh*t rather than an exasperated rant. It's not the type of expression that would be allowed in most workplaces that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fairly restrained I thought for a movie set and given the current environment. It wouldn’t even rate as a tremor on the Jim Cameron Richter scale of eruptions.

• Advertisement

Fairly restrained I thought for a movie set and given the current environment. It wouldn’t even rate as a tremor on the Jim Cameron Richter scale of eruptions.

That's true

Who else ranks up there among the all time tyrant directors?

Michael Bay has a terrible reputation. Imagine him getting away with his tirade against Megan Fox in 2020. There'd be uproar

Michael Bay v. Fox wasn't that long ago; Bay simply makes studios a shít-tonne of money, so has gotten away with being a horrible human being. Fox IIRC was treated badly by the studio - the scuttlebutt being she was effectively blackballed at the wink & nod of Spielberg, who hated her tell-all candour on a film he helped produce.

Always think of Stanley Kubrick when I think of tyrants, who caused poor Shelly Duvall's hair to fall out from the stress of shooting The Shining.

I dunno: I'm not convinced being a galloping a$$hole should be forgiven or tolerated, regardless of the era; film production should be a collaborative effort & there's too much leeway in mistaking toxic aggression as part of any "troubled" artistic expression. The 'aul nonsense that one should suffer in ones art. Plenty of artists and crafts-people can do their thing without attacking others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

David O’Russell would be a strong contender for all time asshole directors.

Edit. Also contrary to popular opinion, being an entitled prick doesn’t get you very far in the Hollywood system. You’ll quickly be punished if you’re not delivering box office records. There’s three qualities that keep a director working 1) keeping to a budget 2) delivering on time and surprisingly 3) getting on with people.

Michael Bay v. Fox wasn't that long ago

It doesn't feel like it, but the first Transformers film was in 2007

Well before the #MeeToo movement, Outrage Culture and generally people amplifying every fecking thing to be way more serious than it is

Bay's behavior back then just wouldn't wash in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That's true

Michael Bay has a terrible reputation. Imagine him getting away with his tirade against Megan Fox in 2020. There'd be uproar

William Friedkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not a director but Christian Bale's rant was interesting!

Not a director but Christian Bale's rant was interesting!

It exposed him for the wanker he is. It was full on workplace bullying

More examples here https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/16/dramatic-actor-meltdowns-as-tom-cruise-rants-about-coronavirus-from-christian-bale-to-orson-welles-13759969/

The site is riddled with Ad overload though. Open the vids linked in the article and leg it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It exposed him for the wanker he is. It was full on workplace bullying

I don't know if I'd call it bullying, what's Bale got to gain from it? I think that was just a case of him finally blowing his top on a sh1tshow of a production. Must have some culture shock going from Nolan's set to McG's.

I mean he hasn't exactly proven to be someone with a consistent record of being an arsehole on set. He has just been, afterall, cast to play a role in the ultimate production machine in Hollywood in the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For all we know, this could've been the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe he was noticing people ignoring guidelines on multiple occasions and just finally blew.

• Advertisement

I don't know if I'd call it bullying,

You wouldn't call Bale's verbal tirade bullying? :confused:

It was disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Was right to reprimand them if they broke regulations but went on and on with it

Talking down to people is never a way to win them over.

Its better that you respect your boss than fear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cruise was right.

Was right to reprimand them if they broke regulations but went on and on with it

Does he have dementia?

Repeated himself ad nauseum

The bit about talking to the heads of studios at night blah blah blah

Make your point fair enough but by going on like that it loses impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

That's true

I understand that both Brad Bird and David Fincher can be quite exacting directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,964 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dades wrote: »
    Christopher McQuarrie is the actual director but given their positive history and Cruise as producer, the lines are gonna be blurred.

That tirade was exceptionally lengthy. More like someone losing their sh*t rather than an exasperated rant. It's not the type of expression that would be allowed in most workplaces that's for sure.

Are they on to filming 8 already?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are they on to filming 8 already?

Answered already earlier; they're filming 7 and 8 back to back. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

William Friedkin.

From what I've heard Friedkin was more crazy than a tyrant. He admitted himself that he'd do anything to get the shot, even endangering peoples lives.

Advertisement