Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australia

• 14-12-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all
    I am a mental health Irish nurse wanting to immigrate to Australia. I would also be bringing my 15 year old daughter with me. Which visa do I need to apply for? Also must I be registered with the Australian nursing board prior to visa. Finally how do I go about finding someone to sponsor me?
    I am totally clueless
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Daisy1709 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am a mental health Irish nurse wanting to immigrate to Australia. I would also be bringing my 15 year old daughter with me. Which visa do I need to apply for? Also must I be registered with the Australian nursing board prior to visa. Finally how do I go about finding someone to sponsor me?
    I am totally clueless
    Thanks

Have a look at this and see what visa options come up

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder

In my opinion sponsorship is possibly the worst visa to be on in Australia especially if you have children as you are tied to one employer and can be treated poorly depending on the employer but it works out for some people. I'm just speaking from personal experience of seeing people being treated badly by employers while being sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Daisy1709

aido79 wrote: »
    Have a look at this and see what visa options come up

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder

In my opinion sponsorship is possibly the worst visa to be on in Australia especially if you have children as you are tied to one employer and can be treated poorly depending on the employer but it works out for some people. I'm just speaking from personal experience of seeing people being treated badly by employers while being sponsored.

Oh really thanks for the tip is is possible to go with a child without being sponsored then? I thought you had to be sponsored to be allowed bring a child

Oh really thanks for the tip is is possible to go with a child without being sponsored then? I thought you had to be sponsored to be allowed bring a child

Yes it is. You just need to apply for a skilled visa. It will take longer but will be better in the long run.
    The only visa that I can think of that you can't get when you have dependents is the working holiday visa.
    If you want to give sponsorship a go your best bet would be to get in contact with hospitals in Australia directly and ask them. They will know the process better than anyone.
    There are also some migration agents based in Ireland who may be able to advise what visa to go for. Make sure they are mara registered but be warned they can be expensive. The overall visa application process is expensive even without an agent.

Yes it is. You just need to apply for a skilled visa. It will take longer but will be better in the long run.
    The only visa that I can think of that you can't get when you have dependents is the working holiday visa.
    If you want to give sponsorship a go your best bet would be to get in contact with hospitals in Australia directly and ask them. They will know the process better than anyone.
    There are also some migration agents based in Ireland who may be able to advise what visa to go for. Make sure they are mara registered but be warned they can be expensive. The overall visa application process is expensive even without an agent.

Thanks so much that’s very helpful. It will prob be next year now anyway due to COVID. I might get the ball rolling.

Thanks so much that’s very helpful. It will prob be next year now anyway due to COVID. I might get the ball rolling.

I really wouldn't be getting your hopes up about getting a visa for Australia next year if you end up applying for a permanent visa. With sponsorship things might move faster but as I said it's not a great visa to be on.
    Australia hasn't opened its borders to international travel and as far as I know there's been no official announcement as to when that will happen. I'm an Australian citizen but living in Ireland and I'm not even sure if I could get back there any time soon if I wanted to with how strict their borders are at present.

• Advertisement

I really wouldn't be getting your hopes up about getting a visa for Australia next year if you end up applying for a permanent visa. With sponsorship things might move faster but as I said it's not a great visa to be on.
    Australia hasn't opened its borders to international travel and as far as I know there's been no official announcement as to when that will happen. I'm an Australian citizen but living in Ireland and I'm not even sure if I could get back there any time soon if I wanted to with how strict their borders are at present.

Ya I know this COVID has ruined everything. I presume though seems I’m a nurse I’ll be getting the vaccine when it arrives I wonder would that change things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Ya I know this COVID has ruined everything. I presume though seems I’m a nurse I’ll be getting the vaccine when it arrives I wonder would that change things
    I wouldn't be counting on Australia as a place to be moving to soon Daisy regardless of qualifications. As Aido said above even citizens which I am are restricted from heading over there and they wont be too quick to open the borders and still limit the amount of people allowed to arrive daily. Even the border between Aus and New Zealand is still a work in progress.

I wouldn't be counting on Australia as a place to be moving to soon Daisy regardless of qualifications. As Aido said above even citizens which I am are restricted from heading over there and they wont be too quick to open the borders and still limit the amount of people allowed to arrive daily. Even the border between Aus and New Zealand is still a work in progress.

Thanks for the info it’s all a mess not looking too good so

I wouldn't think it would change anything. To give you some idea of how strict Australia takes its borders, my wife's friend's father in Perth suffered heart failure and was on life support earlier this year. His son who lives in Queensland was denied entry into Western Australia to visit him in hospital. Luckily enough he pulled through. This was obviously due to covid restrictions and borders being closed between states but it's just an example of how strict they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I would say there will be an increased immigration drive here in 2022/2023 to get the numbers back up, I think 2021 is still a bit soon.

In general life here is definitely back to about 90% normal, well in Sydney anyway its feel very normal. I have been flat out all year glad to get 3 weeks off over xmas.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your input. It’s a pity Ireland isn’t as strict may have a better handle on it by now. So it looks it will prob be more 2022 if I am being realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

I doubt it...at least temporarily. I am an Australian citizen and getting entru is prohibitively expensive.

I would have to pay for quarantine.

You will not gain access to Australia for the foreseeable future until covid passes.

Di not go the sponsorship route. You will end up in a job nobody wants. Get skilled migrant visa.

I can foresee problem for getting daughter residence on account of her age. She may be considered a adult in her own right.

Pelezico wrote: »
    I doubt it...at least temporarily. I am an Australian citizen and getting entru is prohibitively expensive.

I would have to pay for quarantine.

You will not gain access to Australia for the foreseeable future until covid passes.

Di not go the sponsorship route. You will end up in a job nobody wants. Get skilled migrant visa.

I can foresee problem for getting daughter residence on account of her age. She may be considered a adult in her own right.

Oh really an adult that’s insane. Thanks so much for your help. It’s so confusing because I’m being told I can apply now and look for an exemption. I wish it was more straightforward. Anyway thanks again. Looks like it’s on hold for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Oh really an adult that’s insane. Thanks so much for your help. It’s so confusing because I’m being told I can apply now and look for an exemption. I wish it was more straightforward. Anyway thanks again. Looks like it’s on hold for the foreseeable

The best if luck to you. I was considering returning myself before covid came along.

I lived there for six years a long time ago.

What city do you intend to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

Australia will reopen its borders at some point. My contacts in the medical fraternity over there are suggesting a phased return to normalisation after June next year so why not get the ball rolling now.

If you are the equivalent of a 'Registered Nurse(Mental Health)' then you will definately will be eligible to apply for a skilled migrant visa. Whether you actually qualifying - you will only know if you commence the process. According to Aus Govt website Processing times are currently:

* 75% of applications: 11 months
    * 90% of applications: 21 months

These times will likely increase as borders reopen and more people seek to apply. Also, I wouldn't be using an agent - it can be a long process with a lot of work, but they have a lot of clear information as to what it takes.

You should head over to the Britishexpats forum - tons of Irish folk on there and you will get tonnes of support and your questions answered by folk who have been through and currently going through this process.

No doubt someone will have had similar challenges you that you are likely to face. If you are actually serious about going, then make a date to do this and stick to it as hard as you can. This will make you focus and commit to yourself and don't listen to the nay-sayers or doubters, especially those who have never even tried to do anything like this.

You can change your life and Australia is a great place to raise a child. The only tip I would have is, as you are a sole parent, consider living in the regions rather than one of the big cities. Like in any country, cost of living will be lower and quality of life potentially higher. Plus with your work, your skills will be in high demand as like Ireland, there is an shortage of mental health practitioners in the country towns.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks guys ye are so helpful. I intend to go to Melbourne suburbs north epping maybe I heard it’s a good place to raise teens. I would be avoiding cities anyway and that’s a definite.

Yes I emailed a few people and my response is generally the same. That I would be only eligible for the sponsored route. They tell me for the skills visa I wouldn’t gain enough points for a visa. It’s very disheartening to hear I thought being an Irish trained mental health nurse would stand to me but it’s seems to not be the case. I’d love to get over some time next year but it’s looking doubtful now!

Advertisement