Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veg plans for 2021

Comments

Put down 80/90 cloves of garlic .
    8 varieties of garlic and two cloves of elephant!
    About 80/90 onions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Put down 80/90 cloves of garlic .
    8 varieties of garlic and two cloves of elephant!
    About 80/90 onions too.

I am glad I was not the only ones putting down onions this weekend ! Supply chain let me down as original order was cancelled due to quality of stock received, and took three weeks for Mr Middleton to deliver that order to me. Lets see how they go this year.

Garlic down about 3 weeks - no where near those volumes though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I am glad I was not the only ones putting down onions this weekend ! Supply chain let me down as original order was cancelled due to quality of stock received, and took three weeks for Mr Middleton to deliver that order to me. Lets see how they go this year.

Garlic down about 3 weeks - no where near those volumes though :)
    I've 300 garlic, 250 onions and 250 shallots :D

I just ordered some scaffold netting and fleece from the UK in preparation for next year.

I'm ordering seed potatoes for next year.

Fruithill farms have them on pre order as does quuckcrop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

In general do you find it to be worthwhile or necessary to preorder? Was considering preordering my early potato seed just in case but don't know if it's just easier to wait until early next year.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    In general do you find it to be worthwhile or necessary to preorder? Was considering preordering my early potato seed just in case but don't know if it's just easier to wait until early next year.

No idea. My first time. I ordered 60kg. 6 types

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bill Hook

I'd say there is better choice if you preorder... I've just ordered mine (maincrop). I'm going to use some of my own saved potatoes for the earlies and see how I get on.

60kg:eek:. I ordered 10kg and I'll be whingeing about my back when I have to plant them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bill Hook wrote: »
    60kg:eek:.

Like Bill said: :eek: !

I have about 10kg saved, 2.5kg each of four varieties, and am thinking of buying a small bag of one more variety. I don't know where I'd put an extra 50kg, never mind how I'd ever get around to planting or harvesting them all!

In the meantime ...

IMG-20201110-114104-382.jpg

This is ginger. :cool: One healthy looking rhizome spotted in Lidl (25ct) back in September, split in two, planted in garden soil in a croissant box placed in a propagator with a good big puddle of water in the bottom (not in contact with the soil). As predicted by the Internet, it took ages to show signs of germination - about six weeks - and up until last week, I wasn't even sure that the slightly greenish-white knobbly looking bits were actually alive and not just swollen up in the humidity. But now, I think I can be fairly sure it's real vegetative growth! :)

Next challenge: keep it alive until harvest.

That ginger looks great. I had a bit in a pot on the windowsill for what felt like ages which I threw out last week. Initially it looked good but what I thought was green shoots was actually algae. I'll have to try again and be more patient next time!

• Advertisement

Planted 45 kg this year and it was dismal. Weather played a big part in it but I'll probably not have enough to do us till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Since you mentioned it, I'm having a look myself. Any thoughts on which is nicer, Colleen or Vitabella? I'll probably go for one of these two earlies as they're fairly blight resistant (I got caught with it this year :( )

MacDanger wrote: »
    Since you mentioned it, I'm having a look myself. Any thoughts on which is nicer, Colleen or Vitabella? I'll probably go for one of these two earlies as they're fairly blight resistant (I got caught with it this year :( )
    Had Colleen last year. From memory they were nice.
    Not had vita Ella.

Charlotte are also meant to be slug resistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just got my Quickcrop newsletter -
    Right, now listen up troops. Most seed potatoes sold in Ireland actually come from Scotland, the range of varieties we stock are simply not available in this country. So what? Well, once the madness that is Brexit happens in January it is likely that seed potatoes won't be able to be shipped across the Irish Sea (or any seeds for that matter).

To get around this we have all our stock coming in early this year (in December) and have ordered some pretty large quantities. My point is I would strongly advice ordering early as once our stocks are gone we may not be able to get any more

This might be 100% true or not, presumably this whole area will be in a state of flux as suppliers come up with new systems.

In the meantime I'm wondering about recycling my "Christmas" potatoes that stalled after the frost killed the vegetation. Has anyone here saved Spuds for the next season?

edit - just checked them, only about a dozen and they're tiny. Probably no use other than for a single meal.

edit edit - I'll save them in the compost so treat them like volunteer potatoes.

In the meantime I'm wondering about recycling my "Christmas" potatoes that stalled after the frost killed the vegetation. Has anyone here saved Spuds for the next season?

All the time. While I do buy new seed fairly regularly, it's usually because I want to try a new variety or messed up the previous harvest/storage in some way. As I mentioned above, right now I have about 10kg of seed-sized potatoes picked out of this summer's harvest of four different varieties and put to one side (to make sure I don't eat them! :pac: ) I'm still struggling to find the best way of stopping them from sprouting too early, but that's been partially offset by also planting much earlier and much later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just ordered a kilo of Sharpes Express for end Dec/early Jan delivery.

Going to add a second raised bed over the winter I think as I need to rotate the spuds and it's not easy with the current "tight" set up

Also have onions on order and will give them much more space next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

All the time. While I do buy new seed fairly regularly, it's usually because I want to try a new variety or messed up the previous harvest/storage in some way. As I mentioned above, right now I have about 10kg of seed-sized potatoes picked out of this summer's harvest of four different varieties and put to one side (to make sure I don't eat them! :pac: ) I'm still struggling to find the best way of stopping them from sprouting too early, but that's been partially offset by also planting much earlier and much later.

If you have any room in your fridge, store your seed potatoes there, the cold and lack of light will stop early sprouting. I have an old fridge in my garage and keep them there until I am ready to chit them. The big seed companies and farmers keep theirs in industrial fridges too for the same reason.

Alas, due to the overall great productivity of the vegetable patch, the fridge (and freezer and other freezer :pac: ) is fully stocked. But only this afternoon I've figured out exactly where to build a root cellar, and if I don't have a solar-powered battery-bank in that part of the garden, I'll be running a regular cable up past the area, so putting a dedicated fridge in there would be feasible.

Now that I think about it, there's a fridge in the garage that moved here with us fifteen years ago. It must have been working then or I wouldn't have brought it ... must see if it's still functional.

If you have any room in your fridge, store your seed potatoes there, the cold and lack of light will stop early sprouting. I have an old fridge in my garage and keep them there until I am ready to chit them. The big seed companies and farmers keep theirs in industrial fridges too for the same reason.

I ordered 60kg from fruithill and asked them to hold them till November. They need to look after them and have the hassle of sending me usable seed when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I presume a light and vermin proof box in a cool shed would be roughly the same as in a fridge? I used to store the seed potatoes this way in old egg boxes.

BTW, why are seed potatoes not grown commercially in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

I collected some (dead) seaweed from the beach at the weekend and I'm planning to dig it into my veg patch, cover it until Spring; then dig again and plant. Is that okay or do I need to do anything different?

Thanks

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I will mostly stick with peas, mange touts, french beans, broad beans and runner beans in 2021. I will have a bed of lettuce, beetroot, kale and spinach. I will try some outdoor tomatoes. That's about it.

Can anyone recommend a variety of outdoor tomatoes? Does anyone collect tomato seeds from their own harvest?

Can anyone recommend a variety of outdoor tomatoes? Does anyone collect tomato seeds from their own harvest?

This year, yes! While travelling, I was given a few coeur de boeuf tomatoes that I couldn't eat straight away and didn't survive the journey home too well, so I've saved the seed for next year.

Most years, even though I sow seed from packets, I'd have at least a dozen "wild" plants come up from seed that self-sowed the previous autumn. They're generally the sturdiest specimens ... but I never really know what they're going to be until their fruit ripens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was quite happy with myself, got about 60 cloves of garlic in the ground two weeks ago, tidied the bed up and top dressed it. then went back indoors and realised i'd forgotten to plant the elephant garlic. got that done today anyway.

Got delivery of some walking onions and good king Henry perennial spinach.

Planted out 2x crab apple, hazel, rowan,wild pear and wild cherry.

Realised on the way in that I put a crab apple in the way of next years greenhouse.
    Need to fix it over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A couple of courses here for any one interested, run by the National Organic Training Skillnet (NOTS).
    https://nots.ie/our-courses/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey guys,

anyone got a good site for ordering tomato seed. Was late last year and ended up with too many stalks and leaves and no enough tomatoes. Happy to listen to suggestions for variety, I have a decent sized greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Only have a small long bed for planting, so usually plant some peas at the back, with cauliflower and broccoli (6-8 plants) and then maybe some beetroot. Will have strawberries, hopefully the rasberrys and bluberries come back also.

This year, thinking of putting in some herbs, and less brassica (suffer from snails/slugs)

Need to get the garden more "table friendly", maybe even need to get good fertilizer into it (and pest killer!!)

Emmmm ... how did it get to be the middle of December so fast? :eek:

All of my "best laid plans" in respect of next year's planting seem to have come to a juddering halt. I know what I want to grow and (for the most part) have all the seed in stock ... but have found it impossible to make progress with reorganising my beds, not least because there's too much stuff growing where I want to dig up ... :(

Really need to get my head back in this particular game within the next ten days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hey guys,

anyone got a good site for ordering tomato seed. Was late last year and ended up with too many stalks and leaves and no enough tomatoes. Happy to listen to suggestions for variety, I have a decent sized greenhouse.

This might be an obvious question, but were you pinching out the side shoots last year? I think most varieties of vine tomatoes will put out side shoots and these take up the growth rather than the plant forming decent amounts of fruit if they aren't removed.

Advertisement