Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dimplex Heat pump servicing

• 08-12-2020 11:35pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a company around the Dublin or leister area that services Dimplex a class heat pumps and heating systems?

I've been trying since the beginning of Sept to get ours serviced and at this stage I've run out of ideas. No one in replying to email queries, the service requests on their forms or even answering the phone. It's getting rediculous now.

I've contacted Dimplex and the one company they used to recommend are now getting more and more complaints about them for the very reasons listed above yet can't recommend anyone else.

I wouldn't mind but that same company had a van parked outside my house today working on a new build but couldn't find the guy to ask him about it.

My biggest fear is the heating system giving up and I've a newborn in the house, so if anyone can make any suggestions or recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    My biggest fear is the heating system giving up and I've a newborn in the house,

If you have a heatpump then I presume you have a very well insulated house. I can't help you with recommendations of getting it fixed or serviced, but worst case scenario, you can run into powercity and get 5 * 2kW electric heaters for under €100 in total and they will heat your whole house no problem. I presume you can also still heat your water with an immersion element as a backup?

You will get a substantial electricity bill, but your family and your newborn baby will at least be comfortable :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

unkel wrote: »
    If you have a heatpump then I presume you have a very well insulated house. I can't help you with recommendations of getting it fixed or serviced, but worst case scenario, you can run into powercity and get 5 * 2kW electric heaters for under €100 in total and they will heat your whole house no problem. I presume you can also still heat your water with an immersion element as a backup?

You will get a substantial electricity bill, but your family and your newborn baby will at least be comfortable :)

Yes its very well insulated but I'd prefer not to be running around trying to find a backup heating plan late at night. Had problems before when we first moved in and the internal temp dropped to 14c after a day or two. Not ideal.

The bigger issue is that I'm trying to maintain an existing system. No one seems to be able or available to service it. I'm not the only one, apparently 2 of my neighbours are in the same boat. Fairly bad that an Irish company doesn't even have enough agents to service their own products in the country they started in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't know if it still applies but before if you had one of this make installed by your plumber then you had to get it commissioned by a Glen Dimplex authorised agent. Cost was €400 for calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What exactly do you expect from the service?
    They may come and top up the gas and oil and whatever else and the compressor could fail a week later, for no reason.
    The other point is that if the compressor fails, the backup elec. element should click in, not ideal as theCOP will be 1

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Had problems before when we first moved in and the internal temp dropped to 14c after a day or two. Not ideal.

That's far too low for a newborn baby. Never mind the bills, you can't let that happen. While you wait for a fix, get yourself a cheap electric heater.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

What exactly do you expect from the service?
    They may come and top up the gas and oil and whatever else and the compressor could fail a week later, for no reason.
    The other point is that if the compressor fails, the backup elec. element should click in, not ideal as theCOP will be 1

Well when I spoke to someone in Dimplex they advised on getting it serviced once or ideally twice a year. Easy to say, not so easy to do apparently.

Its mainly preventative maintenance as I know things fail but some things that could be potentially failing or not running at 100% you can spot when doing maintenance on them.

I'm not a big believer in letting things run until they fail and then trying to fix them, spending a little money along the way keeping things in good order usually works out better in the long run.

unkel wrote: »
    That's far too low for a newborn baby. Never mind the bills, you can't let that happen. While you wait for a fix, get yourself a cheap electric heater.

Already bought a fan heater and one of those freestanding oil heater/radiators.

Such a shame it has to get to this really, all over a supposedly reputable companies inability to have a decent number of authorised service agents in a country that is now making it compulsory for all new builds to have these as their heating systems.

If there was ever a case not to buy Irish, this is definitely one of them.

If I get the cash together in the future, the first thing being replaced and dumped on their front door step is this unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Heatfairy

Hi

I have problems with my dimplex heat pump since mid week. It keeps tripping on the fuse box and error code f85 was showing on the control pad.

I contacted a number I found on google and he kindly talked me through setting it to immersion so I would have hot water but wouldn't be able to sort it. I contacted dimplex and cannot get through to the engineer they recommended. I'm a single homeowner with housemate and the house is getting colder by the day. Dimplex have been no help at all and do not seem to care.

My heat pump was installed in 2015 and within a year it was replaced and there have been some minor issues since.

I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction of what I should do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Heatfairy wrote: »
    Hi

I have problems with my dimplex heat pump since mid week. It keeps tripping on the fuse box and error code f85 was showing on the control pad.

I contacted a number I found on google and he kindly talked me through setting it to immersion so I would have hot water but wouldn't be able to sort it. I contacted dimplex and cannot get through to the engineer they recommended. I'm a single homeowner with housemate and the house is getting colder by the day. Dimplex have been no help at all and do not seem to care.

My heat pump was installed in 2015 and within a year it was replaced and there have been some minor issues since.

I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction of what I should do next?

We've a Dimplex a class heat pump on our house built in 2017

To be frank the thing regularly gives an error F59, which is a timeout on the hot water. We fix it by turning the hot water off and on in the controller. Maybe something similar will help with yours if you can figure out which system is giving the error?

Another thing you could try is to turn the heat pump off at the fuse board and turn it back on after a minute. Resetting everything has fixed some errors for us in the past

Dimplex seem to have a network of engineers for each area. As you mentioned the engineer they recommended isn't available so I'd advise going back to Dimplex and telling them you need a different engineer.

To be quite frank, I wouldn't recommend a Dimplex heat pump to anyone. They've been out twice to replace relays in the cylinder because of design issues which could have caused the controller to catch fire! They seem to be still learning how heat pumps work and their product design and testing leave a lot to be desired

I'm totally sold on heat pumps, but when it comes time to replace or upgrade our current one I'll be getting a different brand

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The bigger issue is that I'm trying to maintain an existing system. No one seems to be able or available to service it. I'm not the only one, apparently 2 of my neighbours are in the same boat.

Had a conversation yesterday with a client about this very issue. If one had a choice tomorrow between a heat pump or a regular oil/gas fired heating system, which to choose. My opinion is very simple; when the system breaks down I would much prefer to have the choice of 5 guys within 30 minutes of me and spare parts availability to having to possibly contact the manufacturer to find out who might be available in the country and parts which may need international shipping.

• Advertisement

Heatfairy wrote: »
    Hi

What is the exact model of your heatpump? There is some very good documentation online so it should be easy enough to figure out what the f85 error is.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Had a conversation yesterday with a client about this very issue. If one had a choice tomorrow between a heat pump or a regular oil/gas fired heating system, which to choose. My opinion is very simple; when the system breaks down I would much prefer to have the choice of 5 guys within 30 minutes of me and spare parts availability to having to possibly contact the manufacturer to find out who might be available in the country and parts which may need international shipping.

I believe there is a shelf life of 10-15 years on these systems, if possible I'll be replacing it much sooner.

I do agree that heat pumps are great, when they work, but that fact that I can't actually get anyone to even acknowledge a booking or answer a phone is absolutely crazy.

Dimplex were absolutely no use when I contacted them. Had no one else to recommend, didn't know of any other servicers in the whole Greater Dublin area, seriously!!! Wtf are this company doing?

I explained my situation and their response was "yeah we are hearing that a lot about this company"

So why the hell are you recommending them when things go wrong then? Muppets!!

Dimplex heat pumps are made in Ireland

I see plenty of heating company vans driving around Dublin advertising heat pump servicing, so it's not an issue that no-one knows how to service them, it's more an issue that the company Dimplex have the service contract with is useless

I believe there is a shelf life of 10-15 years on these systems, if possible I'll be replacing it much sooner.

I do agree that heat pumps are great, when they work, but that fact that I can't actually get anyone to even acknowledge a booking or answer a phone is absolutely crazy.

Dimplex were absolutely no use when I contacted them. Had no one else to recommend, didn't know of any other servicers in the whole Greater Dublin area, seriously!!! Wtf are this company doing?

I explained my situation and their response was "yeah we are hearing that a lot about this company"

So why the hell are you recommending them when things go wrong then? Muppets!!

I'm in Swords and the last time Dimplex sent someone out it was Anglo Irish Refrigeration.

Was that who they recommended or would they be worth a try?

Dimplex heat pumps are made in Ireland

I see plenty of heating company vans driving around Dublin advertising heat pump servicing, so it's not an issue that no-one knows how to service them, it's more an issue that the company Dimplex have the service contract with is useless

The device is still under warranty, if I use a non registered dimplex service company it voids the warranty and if anything goes wrong I'm screwed.

Once the warranty is up I'll happily use any company who is good enough to do the job right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

I use to work on installing geothermal heat pumps and other systems

The complexity and controls was ridiculous

Seen one place the they got it ripped out for oil

There was problems with wood stove and geothermal getting servicing

So just an update..

As predicted we had another issue with the heatpump and the heating went offline again.

Got onto Dimplex, after a long conversation and pretty much letting my frustration with the whole situation fly at the guy I spoke to, he eventually recommended another company who I managed to book a service with.

They were supposed to arrive either Thursday or Friday this week after 2pm either day, guess what no one showed up and no contact from them to explain why, professional eh? :rolleyes:

I guess I'm just cursed at this stage, really just fed up. Half thinking of taking a sledge hammer to the unit outside just to take my frustrations out on something.

So I've made up my mind, I'm replacing the dimplex unit with something else this year. I'm done with it. Find someone who knows what they are doing to actually install it as the actual company who installed it originally are beyond useless.

If anyone is thinking of installing one of these, pm me first and I'll give you a list of companies to avoid at all cost who I had the misfortune of coming across on my little journey

And finally AVOID DIMPLEX and DIMPLEX A CLASS HEAT PUMPS, the systems don't work and Dimplex as a company are useless shower of ignorant c*nts.

That's all folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So I've made up my mind, I'm replacing the dimplex unit with something else this year. I'm done with it.

If you do, at least send Dimplex a solicitors letter beforehand, considering it’s still under warranty. They have legal obligations here. A solicitors letter tends to focus minds.

KCross wrote: »
    If you do, at least send Dimplex a solicitors letter beforehand, considering it’s still under warranty. They have legal obligations here. A solicitors letter tends to focus minds.

True, but do you really want to be sending them a solicitor letter every time you have problems? Sounds like this isn't a one off event

So just an update..

As predicted we had another issue with the heatpump and the heating went offline again.

Got onto Dimplex, after a long conversation and pretty much letting my frustration with the whole situation fly at the guy I spoke to, he eventually recommended another company who I managed to book a service with.

They were supposed to arrive either Thursday or Friday this week after 2pm either day, guess what no one showed up and no contact from them to explain why, professional eh? :rolleyes:

I guess I'm just cursed at this stage, really just fed up. Half thinking of taking a sledge hammer to the unit outside just to take my frustrations out on something.

So I've made up my mind, I'm replacing the dimplex unit with something else this year. I'm done with it. Find someone who knows what they are doing to actually install it as the actual company who installed it originally are beyond useless.

If anyone is thinking of installing one of these, pm me first and I'll give you a list of companies to avoid at all cost who I had the misfortune of coming across on my little journey

And finally AVOID DIMPLEX and DIMPLEX A CLASS HEAT PUMPS, the systems don't work and Dimplex as a company are useless shower of ignorant c*nts.

That's all folks!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've an A class heat pump as well and while it hasn't broken down, it doesn't fill me with confidence either. Especially since Dimplex had to fix all the heat pumps in the estate after the hot water cylinder caught fire in one of the houses

I'm very happy with heat pumps in general and it is a good money saver overall, however I won't be going with a Dimplex again either. From what I've seen Daikin, Panasonic and Samsung seem to be some of the best

I'd personally be looking at the installers and service agents, make sure there's several to choose from and whoever I go with has a decent bit of experience installing the systems

I'm guessing you'll need to replace the cylinder as well as the outdoor unit, since they're part of a package with the A-Class? Just another questionable design decision from Dimplex

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've an A class heat pump as well and while it hasn't broken down, it doesn't fill me with confidence either. Especially since Dimplex had to fix all the heat pumps in the estate after the hot water cylinder caught fire in one of the houses

I'm very happy with heat pumps in general and it is a good money saver overall, however I won't be going with a Dimplex again either. From what I've seen Daikin, Panasonic and Samsung seem to be some of the best

I'd personally be looking at the installers and service agents, make sure there's several to choose from and whoever I go with has a decent bit of experience installing the systems

I'm guessing you'll need to replace the cylinder as well as the outdoor unit, since they're part of a package with the A-Class? Just another questionable design decision from Dimplex

If I could get the installer or servicing agent to actually come and look, it would be an achievement in itself. I've been trying since Sept to get something as simple as a service.

We are in the hours 16 months and have had 3 x major issues with the system. Apparently the warranty ends on the system this month as it was actually bought in 2018 and installed later in the house when it was being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

True, but do you really want to be sending them a solicitor letter every time you have problems? Sounds like this isn't a one off event

No, but I wouldnt be giving up and ripping it out without making them share some of the pain.

KCross wrote: »
    No, but I wouldnt be giving up and ripping it out without making them share some of the pain.

Well you can always 'return' the heat pump, ideally by leaving it in the car park of Dimplex HQ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I would also avoid Dimplex like the plague. I have a Dimplex gas boiler, now 8 years old. Dimplex Ireland stopped providing spares about 4 years ago, didn't give a $hit about their customers.

I would also avoid Dimplex like the plague. I have a Dimplex gas boiler, now 8 years old. Dimplex Ireland stopped providing spares about 4 years ago, didn't give a $hit about their customers.

Yes I recently found out that the A Class is now an old system and it's been replaced with something more modern and up to date. So it doesn't fill me with confidence that the parts will be available if something goes wrong and could soon dry up and I'll be unable to fix the system.

I've already priced a new system, to get the external unit, new smart controller that can be connected via WiFi for remote diagnostics and a new tank that can be integrated with PV cells on the roof bought for hot water, bought and installed is approx €14k.

I also found out they went cheap on the radiators as well as the thermostats. So to replace the radiators with aluminum low water usage (approx 30% water usage of current ones) will cost €7.5k to buy and get installed. But I may aswell do that if I get a new system in.

Add in the PV cells, I'm not gonna see much change from €30k :rolleyes:

Better win the Euromillions this week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnmphelan

Also going through Dimplex hell here. 4 weeks with no heating (which includes that 2 week cold stretch mid January!) and we have a 7month old and a 3 year old in the house. Long lags of days for each contact with Dimplex and their main / only servicing provider. System is 9 years old and we're now told the pump needs to be fully replaced, costing 5236euro for the unit and 4k for the fitting labour i.e. 9.236k. Caught in a corner as told non-Dimplex pumps will most likely not work or that any future issues will be blamed on possible clash / non-compatability! No help from Dimplex, although they did say that 5236euro was the pump price at a 25% discount due to our pump dying so early - is that admitting their system was at fault? Pump is still far more expensive than similar sized (16kW) Samsungs and other brands I've looked at! Anyway, keen to hear from anyone else with similar issues or recommendations for a change of vendor and service? Thanks. 

So I sent you a PM as well but I'll give the gist of my response here for anyone else's benefit

I'd try to ascertain from Dimplex what exactly has failed in the outdoor unit, it's hard to imagine the whole unit is busted and a component can't be swapped out

I'm presuming the heat pump has been regularly serviced? Even if it wasn't serviced every year, it's quite unreasonable for a component to fail so dramatically after such a short lifetime without some early warning signs

In terms of compatibility with other heat pumps, it's pretty certain the whole controller unit won't be compatible with another brand outdoor unit. So that would need to be replaced as well

If your controller is built into the cylinder like mine then the neater solution would probably be to replace the cylinder. However I'm pretty confident you can reuse the cylinder and just bypass the controller, you'll need to rewire the inputs to the immersion heaters but otherwise it shouldn't be too crazy

Advertisement