Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Vaccine take-up - A/R straw poll

• 15-12-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭

Interested on peoples position on whether they will decide on taking the vaccine when it's eventually offered to the general population?

Given the majority here are under 30 BMI, not immune compromised, under 50? I'd suspect it should be a near 50/50 split or even lower given it's not much of a benefit, I'd expect much lower than say a subset of people with more sedate lifestyles and higher bmi etc.

There are a number of immune compromised people in A/R as I've noticed reading through other threads in the past, so would expect them to take the vaccine when offered, or maybe not for more health concern reasons?.

Will you take the Covid-19 vaccine? 150 votes

Yes
    67% 101 votes
    No
    32% 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

I will 100% take it. I will be well down the line for it though, 18-64 and no health concerns. But when it comes to my turn, I'll be taking it no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Personally I don't have an opinion one way or the other, may be encouraged to take it for work reasons which I'll agree to.
    Definitely don't see any health risks with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Are you accepting posting ballots? Where are all the fake votes coming from? It's rigged I tell you! RIGGED!

I'd take it but by the time I get it (healthy male in 30's working from home) it will be months if not a year and millions (possibly billions) will have gotten it before me so it will be well tested by then. That's if I even get offered it. Don't they only need something like 70% of the population to get it? I'd probably be in the last 5-10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I have a tendency to negatively react to any and all medications, so I expect this will be the same but I'll take it nonetheless whenever my turn is. My biggest fear is long covid which I understand is more common than we'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Due to my wife being immunocompromised and quite possibly allergic, I'll be taking it as soon as offered. I'm 60 and have high blood pressure, so I don't fancy getting covid myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I have a tendency to negatively react to any and all medications, so I expect this will be the same but I'll take it nonetheless whenever my turn is. My biggest fear is long covid which I understand is more common than we'd like.

This is exactly my fear too. And it certainly doesn't seem to care whether you're fit or unfit, old or young ,from what I've read on it. Terrifying.

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jlang

Not jumping up and down to skip the queue because others are more exposed or at risk (or just suffering more from the fear) than me, but I'll take it in the end. I assume any efficacy or logistical complications will be well worked through the system and we'll be seeing the effect on the virus incidence by the time they get to the generally healthy can-work-from-home-but-only-if-I-have-to mid 40's.

I will be very unimpressed if they keep up the queuing and mask wearing and all the rest of it (once a reasonable amount of people have been jabbed, of course). More so if we start into a phase of "prove you've been vaccinated or you can't do X."

2. Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

jlang wrote: »

I will be very unimpressed if they keep up the queuing and mask wearing and all the rest of it

I hope they do. Only because I have realised that the general public are disgusting and give you no personal space at all :pac:

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's a catch 22 really, you want the restrictions loosened to open up sports events and gigs etc.

But then you think there are enough people out there who would attend these events even if riddled with the virus and that it would cause havoc.

Hopefully by summer a combination of the seasonal dip in virus and the at risk + 30% General population vaccinated.

4. Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Would take it 100%. We all got vaccines as kids for various very serious diseases and overall they have helped humanity live longer lives. Its a yes for me

5. Advertisement
    6. Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I can’t believe the question is even being asked. What a strange world we’ve arrived at.

7. Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Murph_D wrote: »
      I can’t believe the question is even being asked. What a strange world we’ve arrived at.

Give it a few weeks and you'll see how much discussion there is in the media due to massive anti vaccination campaigns.

I don't agree with them as they will end up scaring a lot of people who need the vaccine out of getting it.

8. Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Late 30s myself, no underlying conditions but will certainly take it. I get the flu jab each year in work. The hand washing and sanitizers really needs to stay long term ! Just to reduce spread of minor illness

9. Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Unless it’s a necessity for traveling/flying I won’t be getting it.

10. Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

6run28 wrote: »
      Late 30s myself, no underlying conditions but will certainly take it. I get the flu jab each year in work. The hand washing and sanitizers really needs to stay long term ! Just to reduce spread of minor illness

Couldn't agree more. As a mum of 3 kids in Primary School I haven't had a year like this in the last decade. A noticeable absence of nasty gastro bugs, snotty noses and any other typical viruses that spread through children in childcare / school environments. Three out of the four teachers are on maternity leave so there seems to be something going around the staff instead :pac::pac::pac:

I will take the vaccine no questions asked but it I'll be waiting a while I'd say.

11. Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'll definitely take it when it's available to me.

Like a lot here, I'm a long way down the list being a healthy, work from home, 36 year old. My GP wouldn't even give me the flu jab this year because they wanted to prioritize others. The only thing that might bring me up the list is requirement for travel with work.

I think it's good we have these conversations (i.e. highlighting the pro-vaxxers) since there are so many illogical anti-vaxxers out there. (As I type this, "anti-vaxxers" is in the autocorrect dictionary, but not "pro-vaxxers") Vaccinations are one of the greatest achievements by mankind I believe.

12. Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

ariana` wrote: »
      Three out of the four teachers are on maternity leave so there seems to be something going around the staff instead :pac::pac::pac:

Clearly not PPE :D

13. Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you dont/won't take it, dont count on being able to enter too many races - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/people-with-vaccine-certificates-to-face-fewer-restrictions-on-life-39869247.html
      Vaccine certificates may be needed to attend social gatherings or sporting events once the majority of the population are vaccinated.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

14. Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Clearly not PPE :D

Clearly not... Lucky the 4th teacher is male or the school staff would be decimated altogether :pac:

15. Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Yeah I'd imagine any big races will require a vaccine cert - city marathons etc..

16. Advertisement
    17. Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Supercell wrote: »

While I have no problem with it, it's a bit police state.
      In that case they will have to provide a proper hse issued card similar to a driving licence to avoid fraudulent claims to have taken the vaccine?

18. Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In that case they will have to provide a proper hse issued card similar to a driving licence to avoid fraudulent claims to have taken the vaccine?

It is a bit police state alright, one would hope that they can do it digitally via app (they already do this in China), though I'd imagine with GDPR this is going to be a major headache whatever the solution is. If the likes of airlines etc are going to be asking for it presumably it will have to be some kind of EU/global standard format.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

19. Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Surely it would be done electronically. Just provide your vaccine number on the application form. Similar to a tax clearance cert

20. Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

ariana` wrote: »
      Clearly not... Lucky the 4th teacher is male or the school staff would be decimated altogether :pac:

He could be the super spreader...

21. Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

He could be the super spreader...

The super sh*gger more like :pac:

22. Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Murph_D wrote: »

One of my kids has allergies and so may not be able to take the Pfizer vaccine. The rest of us will likely get it when it's available.

23. Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

event wrote: »
      I hope they do. Only because I have realised that the general public are disgusting and give you no personal space at all :pac:

I could (probably will) be very wrong, but I don't remember seeing a significant direct impact on infection rates when masks were made mandatory. All I see is rates rising regardless of whether we didn't wear masks in the first weeks or wear them now.
      Now I know we can all say "it would have been so much worse if we didn't have masks", but how do we really know when multiple measures are constantly introduced and changed without analysing exactly what impact each measure has had?

Oh, yes I'll take it when it's offered.

24. Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Yes, I will take it when my turn eventually arrives. For me its not about the liklihood of me getting it or what damage it would do to me (as a healty relatively fit individual) - its more to ensure that those close to me who are more vulnerable than I am can be protected.

25. Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

Give it a few weeks and you'll see how much discussion there is in the media due to massive anti vaccination campaigns.

I don't agree with them as they will end up scaring a lot of people who need the vaccine out of getting it.

I dont think there will be really. There'll be stuff on social media but wouldnt be surprised to see mainstream media ignore it
      I could (probably will) be very wrong, but I don't remember seeing a significant direct impact on infection rates when masks were made mandatory. All I see is rates rising regardless of whether we didn't wear masks in the first weeks or wear them now.
      Now I know we can all say "it would have been so much worse if we didn't have masks", but how do we really know when multiple measures are constantly introduced and changed without analysing exactly what impact each measure has had?

Oh, yes I'll take it when it's offered.

Yeah not saying it reduces infection or anything.

But the amount of times in the before time that you'd be in a queue somewhere and some dirtbag behind ye coughing and spluttering all over ye. Could really do without that in general

26. Advertisement
    27. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll be fairly early on the list of people to get offered it and will be there as soon as they ask me. Not due to any massive fear of complications from Covid in the event of me catching it, as the chances of me catching it are just as limited now as they were in March with working from home and the only real outside close contact in the household is from a 5 year old being in school all day with other kids.

Just makes sense. Any risk from the vaccine itself is nothing more than anything else they give me each year with the regular flu jabs, and I'm still far more likely to end up doing myself a mischief through the daily administration of deadly substances I give to myself to stay alive.

If me (being a person potentially at risk from either the vaccine or covid) has to take it in order that the rest of you fit and healthy sceptics will then take in in 6 months time, and you are finally convinced that everything is fine when it's available to you then so be it. ;):D

Advertisement