Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JohnGreenFan & The Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Necro wrote: »
    When you thinking of round 2 JGF?

Busy few days ahead so it'll probably be Sunday or Monday for the next round!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Rob Halford has a whole Christmas album I was delighted to find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 7th place with 15 points:
    ShaneU

Sia - Candy Cane Lane

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? No

Loved this, great bop potential, upbeat and cheery. I love Sia's voice so this was always going to score well - very different to her other song featured in this round! CANDAY CAAAAaaaaaaAAAANES

Just catching up, what a song, love it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 9th place with 13 points
    Irish Aris

Train - Shake Up Christmas

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? Yes

I love this song! I was such a huge Train fan when they released it and I was obsessed. Not to mention it featured in the Coca-Cola ads at the time. I love his voice, and it's such a feel good tune, great for a bop around the kitchen.

Two years ago myself and Mrs G&R were in New York and heard The Cherry Tree carol, the best version I've heard since is by Train, was very tempted to submit it here. Its a great Christmas song

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

fixXxer wrote: »
    Rob Halford has a whole Christmas album I was delighted to find :)
    The old voice is sounding good. Can he still hit the high notes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

In 8th place with 14 points:
    Band Member

Smith & Burrows - When The Thames Froze

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No

Wasn't sold on this on the first listen but really enjoyed it with further listens. His voice is quite comforting and the end chorus is just lovely. 'The years go by so fast, let's hope the next beats the last' stuck out for me too, with the way 2020 has gone I think we all hope next year is better!!

Ok, so I'm in 8th place but have no idea how or why that happened! :pac: As it's my first Walrus game, can someone explain how this works, please? :o

P.S. Yes, it's a bit of a grower of a track alright - I just wanted to pick something different to the normal saccharine manufactured happiness rubbish and the lyrics and melody are beautiful. Glad you've enjoyed it, hope others will too. Oh, and yes - let's hope that 2021 is a lot better than this year!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm in 8th place but have no idea how or why that happened! :pac: As it's my first Walrus game, can someone explain how this works, please? :o

All the songs were put through the rigorous Walrus algorithm test (Walrus.exe) and your song came out as 8th best

BandMember wrote: »

extensive research and time based on lyrics, music quality and a mysterioud formula known as the bop-o-meter.

Each song will be ranked accordingly in relation to other submitted songs and are given points based on their ranking. The person with the most points at the end wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Green&Red wrote: »
    Just catching up, what a song, love it
    Just catching up too. Dear god I want to floss my ears to get that out of my head!

It's the best
    So get dressed
    I'll impress

Then rattle out colours in your most nasal voice
    Then try to sound like the kid from Annie and say Candy Cane Lane over and over
    Aaaggghhhhh!

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks :p
    To be fair, I'd never have asked for Christmas songs, this isn't my ballpark!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

If only this was released a few weeks earlier, I'd definitely have entered it as the Christmas Song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If only this was released a few weeks earlier, I'd definitely have entered it as the Christmas Song

Went to see them in vicar Street in January, they are excellent live.

Trigger wrote: »
    Went to see them in vicar Street in January, they are excellent live.

Yeah, I've seen them live plenty, sure we used to gig a fair bit in the same venues when we were both starting out in the comedy world ; was obvious from the very early days they were gonna be huge. Even before that, I knew them from college, they were all fairly involved in the Drama Society and had seen them in loads of plays. Really sound lads as well.

I'm just glad I never had to go up on stage after them because they're a tough act to follow. Luckily I was one of the few people who actually quite liked being up first on comedy nights and was known to be reliable for kicking things off strong, so the club promoters were happy to put me on first, I'd get my set done early and then could enjoy a few drinks without having to worry about it.

Foil, Arms and Hog are class. I'd love to go see them live (when/if live shows are a thing again) but not sure I know anyone who'd come with me, and would feel too awkward going to a comedy gig alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Foil, Arms and Hog are class. I'd love to go see them live (when/if live shows are a thing again) but not sure I know anyone who'd come with me, and would feel too awkward going to a comedy gig alone.

Need to swipe right Homer!

Do the people you know not like having fun and laughing or something? ;)

Going to gigs/live performances of any kind can be great craic once you get used to doing it. It wasn't until I was travelling around the US by myself for a few months, that I was kind of forced into going to concerts, gigs, theatre, etc. on my own a lot of the time that I actually really grew to like that.

Its great to go with friends to things as well obviously, but brilliant to be comfortable enough going to things on your own for when no one else is free, or if you randomly decide last minute to go check something out. You also start to notice when you're doing it yourself that there are plenty of people who fly solo to these things.

I definitely recommend giving it a try, you quickly get over that feeling of awkwardness, and you get to enjoy much more things that you otherwise might have missed out on as a result.

Hell, sometimes you even make new friends and end up having great chats with strangers (only if you feel like it of course, you don't have to talk to anyone). No one will look twice at you if you're just there on your own minding your own business either, and if they do f**k 'em, why would you give a sh*t what a random stranger thinks, you don't have to see them again.

Cheers LeVar, I've gone to plenty of music gigs by myself and generally have no problem enjoying myself (with the exception of Florence + the Machine, who kept telling everyone in the crowd to hug someone and tell them you love them, at which point I went to the bar feeling sorry for myself).

But a comedy gig feels like something you'd need someone else there for, maybe I just feel that way 'cause I haven't gone to many comedy things. I'm sure some people do go alone,it's probably all in my head.

Trigger wrote: »
    Need to swipe right Homer!

I am, but nobody else is. :(

*insert Forever Alone meme here*

...a comedy gig feels like something you'd need someone else there for...
    Forum Games night out! :D

Cheers LeVar, I've gone to plenty of music gigs by myself and generally have no problem enjoying myself (with the exception of Florence + the Machine, who kept telling everyone in the crowd to hug someone and tell them you love them, at which point I went to the bar feeling sorry for myself).

But a comedy gig feels like something you'd need someone else there for, maybe I just feel that way 'cause I haven't gone to many comedy things. I'm sure some people do go alone,it's probably all in my head.

Definitely in your head. I sometimes used to gig 7 nights a week and plenty of people sitting on their own in the audience, between friends of the comedians, people scouting for talent (yeah, that's a real thing), other comedians, club promoters, and then people who come along on their tod, you'd honestly be surprised.

Forum Games night out! :D

Might be a while yet before any of us has a night out of any kind...

I almost forget what a night out feels like...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Might be a while yet before any of us has a night out of any kind...

I almost forget what a night out feels like...

When this is all over and we go back to normal nobody's going to be going out because we'll all be agoraphobic by that stage.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    When this is all over and we go back to normal nobody's going to be going out because we'll all be agoraphobic by that stage.

I'm already there...

giphy.gif

Zaph wrote: »
    Zaph, you can just be honest and say you don't want to go out with Homer either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've been remembering some of my entries and thank God there are some big boppers in there.
    The words boptastic, boptacular and bopariffic spring to mind. :cool:

JGF, if I don't do well on those ones you better leave your Bop-O-Meter in to be serviced. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just heard this and my ears are ruined forever

Round 2 coming your way this evening, 8pm!

See you all then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Round 2 coming your way this evening, 8pm!

See you all then :)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just realised the Christmas song i should have submitted :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Just realised the Christmas song i should have submitted :D

This would definitely have done well, really enjoyed that song on the radio this year!

Just under 15 minutes to kick off folks!!

Some of my personal favourite karaoke choices here to get us started on this wild Friday night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yay
    d0a5ad34136258375b6f4bd8bc4be7b5.gif

Advertisement