Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JohnGreenFan & The Walrus - The Reveal

• 15-12-2020 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the reveal of JohnGreenFan's Walrus!!

Tonight (at approx 8:15pm due to technical difficulties) we will kick things off with Round 1!

Our categories are...

1. We Need A Little (New School) Christmas
    (Yes it's November, but my tree is assembled in the sitting room awaiting lights and decorations, and when the judging time comes around it'll be December so no complaining!)
    Send me your favourite new Christmas song! I'll allow anything from the last 10 years - preferably not a cover of an older song.

2. Karaoke Classics
    Christmas nights out were always dangerous for these sort of songs... none of that this year! Send me your go to song when someobody hands you a microphone.

3. First Dance Songs
    I'm in the midst of wedding planning so I want to hear your favourite first dance songs - alternative, pop, old school, I want them all!

4. A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That...
    I love hearing songs and thinking hey, I've heard this before, and searching out the sample that's being used. Send me a song that samples another song in it!

5. A Song That Reminds You of Home

Everyone has one or two songs (or 10) that they associate with their family and being at home - send me yours!

6. A Song You've Currently Got On Repeat
    Let's see what everyone is loving at the moment - send me a song that you've got on repeat.

7. Who Runs The World? GIRLS
    Beakerjoe recently had a category for boyband songs, so let's show the girlbands some love! Send me your favourite girlband song.

8. Working From Home Instrumentals
    I adore listening to music while I work, especially instrumental music so I don't get distracted by the words send me your banging instrumental tracks to brighten up my work from home office.

A reminder of our entrants for this contest:
    1. Necro
    2. Trigger
    3. Also Starring LeVar Burton
    4. Irish Aris
    5. Green&Red
    6. Deja Boo
    7. Sawduck
    8. ShaneU
    9. Homer J. Fong
    10. BandMember
    11. Kolido
    12. thepurpletin
    13. JP Liz V1
    14. Mustang shelly
    15. Osh
    16. phatkev
    17. FixXxer
    18. Rikand
    19. Arghus
    20. beakerjoe
    21. Electric Nitwit

See you all in 10 minutes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Advent calendar updated, and I'm ready for this!
    I hope there's zombies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

We had some excellent entries in this round, some I was familiar with, some I wasn't... and some I am glad I know of them so that I can avoid them for the rest of my life.

Some of my own personal new Christmas favourites:

Meghan Trainor - My Kind of Present

Taylor Swift - Christmas Tree Farm

Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me

(Can you tell I love pop songs?? Is that obvious yet?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Looking forward to this

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Necro wrote: »
    Looking forward to this

giphy.gif
    Boards has gone cat-mad tonight :confused:

We'll kick things off!

In 11th place with 11 points is -
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sia - Underneath The Mistletoe

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? No

I liked it but I don't think it's one of her better songs - I prefer a more upbeat Christmas track, but it's nice to have something a little different. I did enjoy the bridge! It started lower in the rankings but I enjoyed it more with repeat listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I fully expect to rank last. My least favourite round.

Christmas songs arent supposed to be modern.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I fully expect to rank last. My least favourite round.

Christmas songs arent supposed to be modern.
    You said a mouthful Beaker. There hasn't been a classic Christmas song since the 90s.

In 12th place with 10 points:
    Rikand

Carol of the Bells - Bobby D'Ambrosio

Have I listened to this artist before? No

I quite liked this but jesus, it's just too long. The length absolutely killed it.
    Started a bit higher and seemed to drop a place with every listen. It was great for playing in the background while I worked, a good bop to it, but not something I'd be adding to my Christmas playlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

How can songs be classic if they're modern? :pac:

In 10th place with 12 points:
    osh

Low - Just Like Christmas

I have to admit, when they asked could they submit something slightly older, I was hesitant, but I love this. Really warm song, just lovely. Definitely one I'll be adding to a playlist. Would have placed higher only for the fact that's outside the year limit, having been released in 2004.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    How can songs be classic if they're modern? :pac:

I'm not sure I ever mentioned wanting classic Christmas songs - that was what I was trying to avoid! How old does a song need to be for it to be considered a classic I wonder...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm not sure I ever mentioned wanting classic Christmas songs - that was what I was trying to avoid! How old does a song need to be for it to be considered a classic I wonder...

Google says it must be at least 21 years old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Sia do a Christmas album, I see she has done a film now written and directed by her and starring her muse mini Maddie

Google says it must be at least 21 years old :D
    No way! For example, Mr Brightside is definitely a classic now, that's "only" 16yrs old

In 13th place with 9 points:
    Electric Nitwit

Emmy The Great & Tim Wheeler - Zombie Christmas

This was just gas but it was not at all what I expected in a Christmas song category. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! Not really all that Christmassy though, even if it does mention angels. The video is hilarious though - worth a listen for the video :D
    I also wasn't really gone on her voice and it suffered in the rankings because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No way! For example, Mr Brightside is definitely a classic now, that's "only" 16yrs old

Gangnam Style is only 8 years old too, theory out the window

Don't blame me blame Dave White

https://www.liveabout.com/classic-rock-101-747979#:~:text=If%20it%20was%20within%20the,of%20a%20hit%20was%20it%3F

:D

In 9th place with 13 points
    Irish Aris

Train - Shake Up Christmas

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

I love this song! I was such a huge Train fan when they released it and I was obsessed. Not to mention it featured in the Coca-Cola ads at the time. I love his voice, and it's such a feel good tune, great for a bop around the kitchen.

I'm only realising now that my 'analysis' of songs tends to be whether or not I can bop around the house to it. Maybe I need more in depth reviews :D

In 14th place with 8 points:
    Trigger

Pearl Jam - Someday at Christmas

I didn't know Pearl Jam did Christmas music, and the song was nothing like what I expected... and then I realised it was a cover of Stevie Wonder's song and it made slightly more sense.
    This song actually started much lower but it was one of the songs that got stuck in my head and I found myself humming it away to myself at work. Repeated listens moved it a little further up the table, but I'm still not mad about it. Better songs on offer in this round.

• Advertisement

I'm only realising now that my 'analysis' of songs tends to be whether or not I can bop around the house to it. Maybe I need more in depth reviews :D
    Mark them 1 to 10 on the Bop-ometer :cool:

They're gonna bop bop bop

Bop to the top :D

In 8th place with 14 points:
    Band Member

Smith & Burrows - When The Thames Froze

Wasn't sold on this on the first listen but really enjoyed it with further listens. His voice is quite comforting and the end chorus is just lovely. 'The years go by so fast, let's hope the next beats the last' stuck out for me too, with the way 2020 has gone I think we all hope next year is better!!

Mark them 1 to 10 on the Bop-ometer :cool:

that's my next walrus plan: JGF's Bop-O-Meter :D:D

They're gonna bop bop bop

Bop to the top :D

that song would score well in any category for being an absolute BOP

In 13th place with 9 points:
    Electric Nitwit

Emmy The Great & Tim Wheeler - Zombie Christmas

This was just gas but it was not at all what I expected in a Christmas song category. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! Not really all that Christmassy though, even if it does mention angels. The video is hilarious though - worth a listen for the video :D
    I also wasn't really gone on her voice and it suffered in the rankings because of that.
    Ah well, I wouldn't really be into Christmas songs so this was the best I could do, I'll take my medicine!

They were a couple when they made a Christmas album, then booked a tour, then split up but still did the tour together...

In 15th place with 7 points:
    Homer J. Fong

Little Green Cars - Reindeer with a Broken Leg

I really like Little Green Cars so I expected a lot from this one and it just didn't meet those expectations. I really wanted to like it but just couldn't warm to it at all.

In 7th place with 15 points:
    ShaneU

Sia - Candy Cane Lane

Loved this, great bop potential, upbeat and cheery. I love Sia's voice so this was always going to score well - very different to her other song featured in this round! CANDAY CAAAAaaaaaaAAAANES

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In 14th place with 8 points:
    Trigger

Pearl Jam - Someday at Christmas

I didn't know Pearl Jam did Christmas music, and the song was nothing like what I expected... and then I realised it was a cover of Stevie Wonder's song and it made slightly more sense.
    This song actually started much lower but it was one of the songs that got stuck in my head and I found myself humming it away to myself at work. Repeated listens moved it a little further up the table, but I'm still not mad about it. Better songs on offer in this round.

This round has already been worth its weight in gold. This is a winner.

• Advertisement

In 16th place with 6 points:
    FixXxer

Rob Halford - Donner & Blitzen

He's just shouting. Why does he need sound angry? It's a Christmas song, Rob!!!
    Visions of auld fellas roaring this in the pub :o couldn't get into it, and probably would have scored lower if I wasn't so allergic to some of the upcoming songs...

Advertisement