Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann Service Expansion - 120 new jobs

• 14-12-2020 12:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bus Eireann have announced an expansion of services being funded by the NTA, which will create 120 new jobs. These are PSO funded services and expansion sounds like it is throughout the country, Navan, Cork, etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1214/1184261-bus-eireann-jobs/

Good news to see continued growth in public transport even during these Covid times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i heard this on the news there earlier.
    the expansions sound very positive and are certainly good news for passengers and potential passengers in the areas involved.
    hopefully this is just the start of things to come.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why are these services given to Bus Eireann? Was it part of a tendering process? I don't recall them winning these tenders, last one I recall was BE winning the Waterford City Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are they still shutting down the Expressway routes?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

salonfire wrote: »
    Why are these services given to Bus Eireann? Was it part of a tendering process? I don't recall them winning these tenders, last one I recall was BE winning the Waterford City Services.

Only a % of the total needs to be tendered as of now. Presumably the Waterford City (won by BÉ), Dublin Regional (won by GAI) and the other individual routes still make up that % even with this expansion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Full details now up on TFI:
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/news/bus-eireann-announces-details-of-most-significant-single-enhancement-of-services-in-more-than-15-years/
    - New and increased frequency in routes totals additional 3 million kilometres a year
    - 120 jobs created
    - Additions include a greatly upgraded town service for Navan, better connectivity for Clare, Tipperary, and greater frequency in Cork & Limerick cities
    - Services to be rolled out in coming weeks

Bus Éireann, Ireland’s national bus company, is today announcing details of what is its most significant single enhancement of services in more than 15 years. Funded by the National Transport Authority through the Government’s July Stimulus, it includes both new services and increased frequency on existing services, that when combined will contribute to Bus Éireann providing an additional three million kilometres of journeys per year nationwide.

In total 120 driver posts will be created as a result of the enhancements being delivered through the July Stimulus, with half requiring external recruitment in the areas of Ballina, Cork, Drogheda, Dundalk and Limerick. Recruitment for some positions is ongoing and in the last months, women recruits have accounted for 15% of new drivers hired – an improvement on previous recruitment campaigns, following concerted attempts in recent years to promote driving as a career choice amongst women.

Enhanced services

In a significant development for the growing town, an enhanced full town service will be introduced in Navan from 20th of December, increasing the town’s service from the current service provision of one bus a day Monday to Friday only, to two routes which will run every half an hour, from early morning until 23.30, seven days a week, served by five buses. Navan has a population of more than 30,000 people, making it the fifth largest town in Ireland.

In Cork city, a new cross city service will be introduced linking Glanmire with CUH via the city centre, and the frequency of city services will also be increased to three services an hour between Glanmire and the city centre. Additional evening and weekend services will also be introduced on Routes 202 and 208.

Other areas to benefit from enhanced bus services include Portroe, Co Tipperary which will have a daily bus service to Limerick and Nenagh for the first time as part of an increased Route 323 linking Nenagh and Limerick; weekend services will be introduced on Scariff-Limerick routes for the first time; and in West Clare there will be a significant increase in frequency between Ennis and West Clare and the towns of Kilkee, Doonbeg and Lahinch will be linked directly for the first time.

Increased frequency

The frequency of Drogheda town services will increase with the addition of two new routings, operating a combined fifteen minute frequency, seven days a week from 20th of December. Integration of services will be a key component of the service enhancements in Drogheda, with newer residential areas being linked directly with the town centre for the first time, and services being designed for easy transfer to longer distance bus and rail connections. This is the latest in a series of enhancements in Drogheda, which has contributed to a 50% increase in passenger numbers being recorded last year.

In Limerick city, the frequency of route 303 will double to every 15 minutes, and more services will be offered in the evenings and weekend than has been available to date. The route will also be extended to include Georgian Village, to address additional housing and growing demand in the area.

Service enhancements on the West Clare Network which connect to rail at Ennis, will enable passengers to travel between West Clare and Dublin in a single day for the first time using public transport. And in the Greater Dublin Area, all major commuter timetables have been revised to improve punctuality and reliability.

Improvements have already been rolled out in Louth, Kerry and Mayo, including the first year-round connection between Clifden and Westport, and linking Baltray, Clogher and Termonfeckin directly to Dundalk for the first time.

Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan; said; “This is the largest single investment by government in Bus Éireann services in more than 15 years. These new and improved services will mean that public transport will be a viable option for more people outside Dublin than ever before. By providing more choice and frequency we will connect more communities and encourage the switch from cars, while also reducing traffic, air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.”

Anne Graham, CEO, National Transport Authority; said; “Each of these service enhancements have been carefully considered and created to meet either increased demand or to address gaps in existing services. The creation of an enhanced town service in Navan, for example, is in response to the growth that the town continues to enjoy and the consequent growing need for public transport. Similarly, in Drogheda, the new service has been designed specifically to link residential areas with areas of work. Our public transport system must continue to evolve with the needs of passengers, and it is with that in mind that each of the service improvements have been designed.”

Stephen Kent, CEO, Bus Éireann, said; “Our passenger numbers in town and city services across the country have demonstrated that investment in services is quickly followed by growth – the demand is there. In Waterford, for example, passenger numbers increased by 50%, in Drogheda by 50% and on route 220 in Cork – Ireland’s first 24 hour city route – by 70% within a year of improvements.

We expect that to be our experience in Navan with the addition of an enhanced town service and equally we expect the increase in frequency in services in Drogheda, Limerick and Cork to be welcomed. We’re glad to be able to deliver services in our regional towns and cities that provide for more balanced regional development and growth, especially as people consider new and more flexible ways of working and living.

To be recruiting drivers nine months into a pandemic is very positive and we are delighted to see that more women are starting to see it as a career for them as well. With the support of funding from the NTA and Government, this investment and additional services will help us to provide reliable and safe public transport services for more people around the country,”
    he said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"will enable passengers to travel between West Clare and Dublin in a single day for the first time using public transport. "

Well, the old West Clare Railway was infamously poor for service and reliability, but surely same day was possible back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The increase in town bus services for Navan sounds fantastic. The people must be delighted with hearing that news about increased bus services in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In Cork city, a new cross city service will be introduced linking Glanmire with CUH via the city centre, and the frequency of city services will also be increased to three services an hour between Glanmire and the city centre.

That'll be a well used service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I usually spend a week or so down in kilkee each summer, and the odd year I needed to make my own way down using public transport. It always involved me getting to ennis via Dublin Coach or by train and then getting picked up by a relative that was already down for the last strech. Will be great to see a proper public transport service for that area now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

No new services in wexford :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

p_haugh wrote: »
    I usually spend a week or so down in kilkee each summer, and the odd year I needed to make my own way down using public transport. It always involved me getting to ennis via Dublin Coach or by train and then getting picked up by a relative that was already down for the last strech. Will be great to see a proper public transport service for that area now.

I'm surprised such a service is implemented as a Bus Eireann direct award contract operation rather than as a tendered operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has anyone heard when these new services will actually start? The cynic in me has heard announcements like this before ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I wonder will this expansion improve the reliability of services in the East which have been having issues for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

L1011 wrote: »
    "will enable passengers to travel between West Clare and Dublin in a single day for the first time using public transport. "

Well, the old West Clare Railway was infamously poor for service and reliability, but surely same day was possible back then?

Back in the 90s there was a minibus service from Ennistymon and kilkee to connect with the bus to Dublin at 7.45 each day from Ennis.
    There was also a return service leaving busaras at 5.45 and arriving in Ennis at about 9.30 and the connecting minibus service from there to kilkee and Ennistymon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Bus Eireann 323/x being allowed pile on the pressure on IE on one of its least competitive routes - so then let IE come off the route or run at least express from Nenagh-Limerick for goodness sake.

dowlingm wrote: »
    Bus Eireann 323/x being allowed pile on the pressure on IE on one of its least competitive routes - so then let IE come off the route or run at least express from Nenagh-Limerick for goodness sake.

I think you will also find that the NTA stopped Dublin coach operating a morning service from Ennis to Limerick to protect the rail service but this was overturned. This is direct Ennis to Limerick and not via Shannon as is the case with route 343

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

New 303 timetable now online too. It will now serve Colbert Station on its way to and from the city centre.

All the timetables seem to be up now. Including the new 212 route in cork

Advertisement