Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overnight in hospital, covid risk ?

• 15-12-2020 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,I'm down to Dublin for a procedure this week
    I thought I'd need a covid test before going in but they said no as it is only for 1 night
    Is that usual?

Of more concern to me is will I get covid after a night there? And then go on to infect the whole family?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Nobotty wrote: »
    I thought I'd need a covid test before going in but they said no as it is only for 1 night
    Is that usual?

Of more concern to me is will I get covid after a night there? And then go on to infect the whole family?
    Thanks

I'd say you'll be in the safest place in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is that usual?

Thanks

I have to have an overnight procedure after Christmas, and I have been told the opposite.

Not too worried because if they have the bed space to carry out routine procedures, then the incidence of Covid-19 is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Thanks folks,I had heard of someone catching covid in the same hospital which is why I'm concerned and was wondering how many go in like me not tested which surely increases the risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

I have attended the hospital a couple of times in the last 2 weeks and they have very strict protocols in place so I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was in Castlebar hospital for three days a while back. All the staff ie drs, nurses cleaners etc wore masks.

Anyone showing any symptoms was filtered out to a separate unit before they got in and we were all tested when in there. I had a high temp but the paramedic ( air ambulance) told them where I came from, ie a totally safe covid free island and they let me in rather than in the isolation unit.

ie they are ultra careful on every level.

• Advertisement

Covid is spreading a lot in hospitals.
    At one point, only 40% of people in hospital with Covid actually went to hospital because of Covid.

The others tested positive while there for other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

You literally couldn't pay me a thousand euros to stay in a Dublin hospital for even one night right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You literally couldn't pay me a thousand euros to stay in a Dublin hospital for even one night right now

What about two thousand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

KaneToad wrote: »
    What about two thousand?

Keep going ;)

Would consider 10k minimum

The hospitals are riddled

You's are filling me with joy:O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Nobotty you'll be fine my mother came back from a 3night hospital stay and did not catch Covid. Plenty of people catch hospital acquired infections but plenty dont throughtout their hospital stay. Keep a safe distance from other patients, staff. When staff must approach you dont be shy in asking them to wash hands/use handgel before making anycontact with you. In turn you wash your hands ocd and do not suck your thumb, bite yourfingernails rub your eyes without washing hands first. Best of luck with your proceedure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

There's always some risk, but..

- Dublin cases have stayed below 100 a day for a while now, there aren't many (if any) European capitals where the Covid situation is as good
    - Most people don't catch Covid during their hospital visits, and they have protocols in place to keep you safe. Hospitals aren't overcrowded at the moment, so that helps as well.

I don't think there's any reason to be overly concerned, but just take some care. I wouldn't pay any attention to the scaremongers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Known a few people who've been in hospital both for appointments and up to a week, since march. I've bought someone for a few appointments also. All good so far. I guess it's a judgment call based on the specific hospital and your own personal risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Spent two weeks in hospital in a September and twice weekly appointments at times in month before. This was a maternity hospital. Spent many of these nights in a 13 bed ward! You'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Is that usual?

I'd avoid it if no emergency. If they have no strict rule to check everybody before admission - you understand what does this mean. You always can call them and tell that you have developed symptoms, so need to postpone the visit.

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Spent two weeks in hospital in a September and twice weekly appointments at times in month before. This was a maternity hospital. Spent many of these nights in a 13 bed ward! You'll be fine

Maternity now seem requiring the test done before admission, but this was not the case in September when the infection rate was low.

Thats me wrote: »
    I'd avoid it if no emergency. If they have no strict rule to check everybody before admission - you understand what does this mean. You always can call them and tell that you have developed symptoms, so need to postpone the visit.

Maternity now seem requiring the test done before admission, but this was not the case in September when the infection rate was low.

Must depend on individual hospitals. My daughter has a baby 2 weeks ago. She wasn’t tested .

Just leaving for home now
    I will be restricting my movements for the next week and will see if I can get a test in 4 or 5 days,there's a private test centre in meath somewhere which is another long drive but worth it,are there any in the northwest does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

I will be restricting my movements for the next week and will see if I can get a test in 4 or 5 days

This is good for protecting others, i can only welcome your responsible approach. But this does not remove a risk for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldn’t go near a hospital unless it’s something they absolutely can’t wait

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

ShineOn7 wrote:
    Keep going

ShineOn7 wrote:

ShineOn7 wrote:

ShineOn7 wrote:
    Keep going

ShineOn7 wrote:

ShineOn7 wrote: