Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar PV - seeking recommendations

• 13-12-2020 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello,

I live in a A3 rated detached house in the country side, AWHP+MHRV. 24Kwh/day on average (16 kwh during the day and 8 kwh at night).

I am considering getting Solar PVs and I've been watching a numbers of videos on Youtube for the last few weeks about this and to summarize, I've learnt this:

- get Solar PV from reputable brand like LG or Panasonic
    - get Inverter from reputable brand like SolarEdge
    - get the longest hardware warranty possible, more than 10 years for the inverter and 25 for the PVs
    - get good monitoring tool
    - don't get a battery as you won't break even before the end of the warranty unless you need it for backup or you like the technology

My roof would allow west and east facing PVs, not sure how many, I would say 6 max (3*2) on each side (east and west) and another 6 on the garage's roof (east facing)
    I'm working from home full time now but 50% when we will be back to a normal situation so I'm planning on using most of the energy produced.

So I'm looking at, maybe, a 6kwh system with a 5 kwh inverter and I have room for a ground mounted south facing system with no shade if the roof is not big enough or suitable

I like the idea of having a battery but it does not make financial sense to me yet, if I get a battery in the near future, it will have 4 wheels and an engine attached to it :)

Now, looking at all the different installers, it's hard to find one that offers SolarEdge inverter+ LG PV for example. You don't see systems with only known brands products, it will either be a well known PV brand with a not so well known inverter or vice versa, maybe I'm wrong and I've been mislead by my initial learning so correct me if I'm wrong.

So my question is, can you customize your order with any suppliers to get the hardware that you want (based on your own homework) and do you have any recommendations for installers in the Meath area as they are so many out there on the web that it's hard to know which one is reputable. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge/skills to do a DIY install

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

IMHO you are (financially) correct about the battery but I would have no hang up on LG or Panasonic panels, plenty of other brands out there on par.
    You mention you have ground South available with no shade, again IMHO nothing will beat that.

Others of greater knowledge will surely add in...

You should read the PV Quotes 2020 thread from start to finish at least once

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Monfreid

slave1 wrote: »
    Can you get the PV grant?

No, unfortunately I can’t as the house was built 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Monfreid wrote: »
    I've been watching a numbers of videos on Youtube for the last few weeks about this and to summarize, I've learnt this:

- get Solar PV from reputable brand like LG or Panasonic
    - get Inverter from reputable brand like SolarEdge
    - get the longest hardware warranty possible, more than 10 years for the inverter and 25 for the PVs

A panel is a panel. No point spending way over the odds for a brand name. Do a bit more time on Youtube and you will see that the performance of the cheapest panels is as good as the most expensive ones. Panels will work fine for decades, there's no point in looking for and paying for a long warranty on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Monfreid

unkel wrote: »
    A panel is a panel. No point spending way over the odds for a brand name. Do a bit more time on Youtube and you will see that the performance of the cheapest panels is as good as the most expensive ones. Panels will work fine for decades, there's no point in looking for and paying for a long warranty on them.

Thanks for the reply, how about the inverter, same thing or is it worth getting a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Pretty much all inverters installed by SEAI approved installers these days are made in China. They are fine and they come with warranties.

Advertisement