Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2020??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    1 - Stay consistent. Just keep churning out the 5-6 day weeks and 40 mile weeks. Probably goes without saying, but avoiding any major injuries would be great.

2 - 2,000 miles.
    This will be a by-product of the previous goal. Following on from 1,084 miles in 2018, and just over 1,700 in 2019, I reckon that 2,000 miles seems like a reasonable and logical target. No marathon to inflate the total in 2020 though.

3 - Cross-training. I've paid minimal attention to this in the past, with the very occasional home workout being the extent of things. I've been signed up for swimming lessons which begin in January, so hopefully I'll make the swimming a regular habit once the lessons are done. In addition, if I could do the home workouts a little less infrequently I'd be happy.

4 - Keep on progressing. This is kind of a hard one to quantify, but I want to keep learning about running, absorbing ideas, having a better understanding of the purpose of various sessions and plans. I've learned so much in the past 12 months, and I just want to continue that really.

5 - Join a club. Hmmmm. I'll put this one in anyway - I'm kind of tempted to join a club. Seems like a natural step at this stage. On the one hand I like how things are going for me at present, but then I do admire the camaraderie you see amongst club runners at various races. We'll see on this one.

6 - PB's. I'm confident that these will continue to fall if the earlier goals are achieved. The only time target I have in mind really is a sub 20 5k, although time will tell how realistic that goal is. Otherwise, current PB's are:
    5k - 21:08
    4 mile - 27:25
    8k - 35:58
    10k - 44:48
    10 mile - 1:18:22
    HM - 1:43:37
    Marathon - 3:47:15

A big fail on most of these, due entirely to an injury which took months to identify and will take more months of managing before I'm hopefully 100% again.

There was a couple of successes though:
    3 - Cross-training. Swimming (pre-covid), yoga (until it started aggravating the injury), and more recently an exercise bike have all been added to the mix at various stages.
    6 - PB's. In the only race I ran before the injury I did manage to knock 5 minutes off the 10 mile PB, which was nice.

From here, if I can be injury free by the end of the year I'll take it. Currently sitting on 376 miles for the year - 1,000 might be within reach if I've no more major setbacks on the injury front, with passing 2018's 1,084 another possible target if things go really well. In the back of my mind I'd like to give a 5k a good rattle towards the end of the year if I can, although that sub-20 seems unlikely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

10. Eh.. Not break a rib
    1. 2:55 at DCM
    2. Ballyhoura Marathon with Kate for the craic
    3. Scooch close enough to 5k, 10k, HM PBs to worry em
    4. Not do my glute
    5. 2,000m
    6. Yoga often
    7. Not do a hamstring
    8. Run with people
    9. Run up some hills
    I'll come back to this in 12m and rate myself /10

Currently on about 4/10

10. Eh.. Ribs fine
    1. DCM 2021 but will run a marathon this year, ideally sub3
    2. Oh well.. I'm Sure Kate and I will do a hill this year
    3. TBC
    4. Stronger than ever
    5. On track
    6. All good until physio said stop for a while
    7. Fail booo
    8. Good before Covid
    9. OK before Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

IvoryTower wrote: »
    400m - 53 indoor

800m -indoor 2.01

800 - outdoor - tbc

1500 - still haven't raced one and its looking like 2021

Mile - went sub 5 in time trials, should get this before Christmas, maybe griffith mile if its on

5k - 18.09 time trial, rathfarnham or jingle bells should do it no bother

A good year so far

Would a 3” difference between indoor and outdoor 800 times be normal? Last year was my first year doing both and only indoors so far this year. Thinking of what might be realistic when we get going again based on my indoor nationals time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Down South wrote: »
    Would a 3” difference between indoor and outdoor 800 times be normal? Last year was my first year doing both and only indoors so far this year. Thinking of what might be realistic when we get going again based on my indoor nationals time

It depends, if you've only started you can make big jumps. So 2.06 to 2.01 might of took me 6 months, but 2.01 to 2.00 could take me the next 6.

Outdoor times are usually faster

Not sure if I've answered your question. Your best bet is to just keep trying to pb. Appreciate them all cause they get harder to come by!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    New to running in the last 6 months and starting to head for trails. First trail half marathon this month, and would be happy with anything around 2 and a half hours in it. That would set a bar. As for other goals.

5km PB is 22.20. would love to go in and around 21mins here.
    10km PB is 50.09, aim here is to go sub 46 mins.

No other times I'd be aiming at but id like to get better at longer distance and get out on the trails more. Food, nutrition , train properly and learn more about recovery.

Training has not gone well for the half due to all the Christmas pints but since Stephens day I've been hammering in the miles so we'll see how it goes :)

Just looking back on this. I made it to 22.10 on the 5km but its hard to do a PB here when training longer distance. Fell off the wagon a bit mid lockdown with work and exams for college taking up my time but they are all excuses.
    Did the trail half in 2.36 which was nice. and ran a 10 mile road race in 1.18 which was great for me. Everything got cancelled then.

At 47.10 for the 10km PB now.

Working on the half marathon at the moment. Running a virtual 10km this weekend and hope to smash the PB.

I work abroad for stints so that takes the edge off training too so all in all it's gone well if unspectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

My 2020 Goals :D

- Keep enjoying running! Obviously this will not be the case for every single run & it's definitely something i was afraid of when i agreed to run 6 days a week for my current training but thankfully if anything i've fallen more in love with it! Running helps me physically, mentally & emotionally, long may that last into 2020

- Keep my running consistent! Hopefully i can stick with my 6 days a week running but as is life i'm sure things will crop up so having the knowledge not to chase after miles also will benefit me here(as taken from Mr Guppa on our DCM novice group)

- Never stop working hard! I truly believe working hard for what you want is the only way to achieve it. Pure Grit, determination & dedication will make it all the sweeter too!

- Stay focused! This is something I really want to improve on. I have set goals with races inbetween, so i want to keep the main goal the main goal & not get too caught up in whats inbetween (easier said than done i know!)

- PB's! Last but not least i would love to improve on all my current times - for now i couldn't possibly guess times as I'm still trying to gauge things for myself at the moment! Below are my current PB's;

5k - 21:29 (Tallaght May 19) -
    10k - 47:07 (Nightrun April 19)
    5M - 38:29 (Raheny 18)
    10M - 1:23 (FD Aug 19)
    Half - 1:43 (medic Sep 19)
    Marathon - 3:42 (DCM 19)

Enjoy my running, keep it consistent & never stop working hard. I think I have achieved all these things & continue to do so. This has been an extremely tough & challenging year but the one constant through it all helping me both mentally & physically is running. It has NOT been all plain sailing but I have kept going even when I felt like stopping, long may it continue :p

Stay focused - I think I have remained focused on my training but with no races as such my training has chopped & changed to suit what I was doing next - Honestly can't wait for the day I can race again...

New:D 1mile - 5:59:84 (woo hoo just under the 6mins:D ) TT
    5k - 21:29 (Tallaght May 19) - 20:37 - TT
    10k - 47:07 (Nightrun April 19) - 43:28 - TT
    5M - 38:29 (Raheny 18) - 34:10 (Raheny 20)
    10M - 1:23 (FD Aug 19)
    Half - 1:43 (medic Sep 19) - 1:35:12 (Bohermeen 20)
    Marathon - 3:42 (DCM 19)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

i'm guessing the end of year replies will be interesting reading :) 10k TT at the weekend and then I'll have a look back at what I said way back when...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Itziger wrote: »
    2020, jeez, when I was a kid we thought that was fantasy land. We'd be living on the moon and all that $hite.

My Goals are straightforward. Maybe try a 10k and I'd probably accept sub 38. Kinda given up on the PB of 36.48

The Half (PB 1.21.0x) I'll have a rattle off again. Would like to dip under the :21

And Marathon, I like to think I'm not finished here. Recent PB of 2.57.3x and I'll aim for sub 2.55 again........

We keep trying and that's the main thing.

Hmmmmm, Like the vast majority, not to say all, my plans were miced and men'd this year. I did run a 10k TT in about 37.35 or some such. Happy with that. Then I got in a real race, a Half in France between their lockdowns. I was in ok form, had about 7 weeks of training in me after the Summer hols. 1.23.05 or something. I was goosed for the last 5k and lost half a minute. Was near to doing Metz Full but I got Covid a week before and then they cancelled it 4 days before the kick off.

The motivation has been a bit up and down and I'm struggling with a glute issue, but it's mostly laziness with not arranging a physio trip. I'm hoping a few stretches and the tennis ball will take care of it. Roll on 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

- sub 18:00 5k (soft PB: 18:47)
    - sub 5:00 mile (PB: 5:02)
    - if I get my mile target then I might try and set a time for the 800 after that. Target of 2:20 maybe
    1. sub 18:00 5k - 17:47 - 17:17
    2. sub 5:00 mile - 4:57
    3. sub 2:20 800 - 2:16

Targets were hit by the end of June. I tried another 5k last month and lopped a bit more off.

Want to do another mile and 800 before Christmas. I hope my 800 is a little quicker but the mile has me a bit spooked as I've not been targeting it since. I've actually done other longer distance TTs in the last month (including the 5 k TT) which helped me avoid it but I can't escape having another bash. So I could be anywhere between 4:50 and 5:10. We'll see. Then make some targets for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

1. Distance: 1400 miles - 600 this year off only 6 months running. Previous high 1360.

2. Weight : Target 72kg, Started summer 2019 at 89kg, currently 81kg.

Times will take care of themselves with combination of the above.

Right, so that year was a bit of a challenge........

1. Distance, target was 1400, on course for 1050 approx.
    Lack of marathon training cycles put pay to that and gap in training cost me a good 200 miles I'd say.

2. Weight, fluctuating between 78 and 80 most of the year.
    A stone to go, most of that should hopefully go with the normal January 31 day in a row training binge that happens most years.
    Need to be covering around 30 mpw average to justify my appetite, eating less just doesn't work, can't fight genetics :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Can’t even face looking back at my goals it’s been an unmitigated disaster. I buried myself in running after picking a friend’s brains about how he managed a huge PB of sub 2:40. Did 42 days without a rest day and 5 months without a rub down. Now I am trying to recover from BOS or Biomechanical Overloading Syndrome. I’ve had a fair bit of acupuncture and have been working in the gym and the good news was that I can run during the recovery. Running back to back days looks like a 2021 endeavour but thinking along the lines of where I was at is likely a 4/5 month wait. Today I did the first tempo that didn’t cause too much pain in about 5 months. I think I’m on around 1500 miles for the year so down about 350 on last year give or take. Hoping that all goes well I’d say I’ll have to cut to 40 MPW until I can get some races over me and see what the physio reckons then. All in all it wasn’t the worst year to make a balls of so onwards and upwards I hope and learn the lesson (again) that one shouldn’t take anything for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

jamule wrote: »
    Try to survive another year, improve a little.

A few random times to aim for-

3km- <10min
    5km- 17:10
    10Km- 36:10
    5m-29min
    10mile-1hr
    1/2-1.21

still alive, still some improvement left , no results of note but the future is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Wottle wrote: »
    Explore new routes/trails and bring the camera out more for some landscape shots.
    Stay consistent and make the group long run every week.
    Listen to my body more, took me months to figure out what was wrong but yet still kept pushing, no doubt that made the recovery harder.
    Run more with my wife and my mum has made a return to running, really want to get her to a parkrun, I think she'll love it.
    To revive my training log https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057685240&page=1
    I badly want a pb in 2020 and I think all of the above will contribute in a balanced way. The only one I got this year was a parkrun pb all the way back in February, don't care what distance it's over.
    Excited

Lots of positives this year. Thyroid levels back to normal and I've really paid attention to how my body is feeling and adjusting runs accordingly.

Spent 8 weeks of the summer in Portugal, lots of new routes, pictures and runs with my better half. Actually my wife has embraced running a 100% now, she's checking strava in bed and has set the lofty goal of a sub 30 5k for 2021.

One PB but it comes with an asterisk as it was in a TT but I did do over distance and picked a fair course rather than fast, so I'm counting it but definitely need to back it up in a race next year.
    Ticked a sub 6 mile off in the summer and would love to have gone back under 20 mins for 5k, still have time but perhaps just beyond me till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

token56 wrote: »
    I'm back after 6 years of doing practically no exercise and my weight ballooning but thankfully I've been back running regularly for about 4 months so I want to set myself a few goals for next year. I'm not sure how realistic they are but sure lets see.

I'm disregarding my historic PB's for the moment as they are about 12 years old and are really from a different life.

My goals are:
    1. Don't give up !!!
    2. 5k : Sub 20 min (PB ~23:30 in training)
    3. 10K Sub 43 min (PB unknown)

I might start a training log on here in the new year, I had an old one and it was fun looking back on it so yeah, might do that.

Despite everything else going on in the world at the moment I will be remembering this as the year I fell in love with running again.

On my goals:
    1. I'm quite happy to say I achieved this. A number of injuries and frustrations along the way but I never gave up.
    2. 5K : result - 18:5x. I don't have an exact time as it was a TT but I finally dipped below 19 recently after feeling like I had it in me for a while.
    3. 10K : I was hoping to do a 10K TT before the end of the year but that is not going to be possible with my current injury. I know I went under 42 mins in training and I'm confident that I would have been in the low 40's at some point this year but will have to put this down as a DNF.

There were a number of other highlights for me this year but I am probably most pleased with joining my old club and racing competitively for them again even winning a team bronze medal. Certainly not something I would have anticipated this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was in two minds whether to post goals for 2020 given the second half of the year I've had! But here goes.

No time related goals for 2020. What will be will be...

1. Most important goal is getting back to consistency. 6 days a week. One long, two sessions. Training since July of this year has been far too inconsistent, partly due to injuries/niggles but also due to the new arrival in the house :)

2. To stop chasing fitness. What this means for me is concentrating on not overcooking the training. I looked back on some of the training from June/July and it was way too aggressive, hence the injury problems. Undercook rather than overcook works better for me. I should have taken Lukes advice at the time - progressing both sessions every week isn't necessarily the best approach especially for someone with the lower cross issues I've had.

3. Keep an eye on that work/life/running balance. Again, towards the end of this year I was guilty of trying to manage all three ramping at the same time. So when life/work ramps, the intensity of the training needs to scale back. Easier said than done.

All in all I feel like I've learned a lot this year. Hopefully I can apply some of that learning in 2020. Original plan was target the limerick half. I have signed up for it but certainly won't be forcing a plan or a time goal on it. I'll see what shape I'm in as the next couple of months progress.

Win win win.
    Will be roughly 2600 miles for the year, seven days a week runner now.

Thanks in no small part to being coached again since February.

Win win win.

\how the hell are you managing the 7 days? I was only doing 13 milers on the Saturdays and the physio reckons I’m insane taking a chance like that even. He’s telling me I need to get quality running into my week rather than striving for every day craic. He all but ruled it out for the future too. I think my next programme (depending on a lot of things working well for me) will be 4/5 days per week. If I’m to improve my times it will likely have to come from dieting and cross training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,861 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    5k - Sub 21:00 (PB 21:18, set in November during a 10k)
    10k - Sub 42:00 (PB 43:01, same 10k as above)
    Half - Sub 1:38 (PB 1:38:58)
    Full - Sub 3:43 (PB 3:43:22). PB was set in 2015 when I had been running all year. In October I ran 3:43:43 with only 16 weeks of marathon training so confident I can do it this year. No injuries in 2019 though, so will depend on that

Yeah none of these happened :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Win win win.

Fantastic stuff

squinn2912 wrote: »
    \how the hell are you managing the 7 days? I was only doing 13 milers on the Saturdays and the physio reckons I’m insane taking a chance like that even. He’s telling me I need to get quality running into my week rather than striving for every day craic. He all but ruled it out for the future too. I think my next programme (depending on a lot of things working well for me) will be 4/5 days per week. If I’m to improve my times it will likely have to come from dieting and cross training.

It's definitely an individual thing. There's plenty of lads on here doing 7 days and a lot more weekly mileage than me. DD, Healy, AMK are all in or around 80 miles a week when in a heavy training block.
    I guess there's a few things for me. Being coached is the main one. Another is the approach to building to that point of seven days. I did a tonne of aerobic based stuff and built up to it slowly.
    It's a balancing act tho. The longest streak I managed was 49 days before taking a rest day. I expect in 2021 I should manage more than that.

Wouldn't have dreamed of it a year ago. Still only hovering around 57 miles a week. Its manageable, given the training load. Might change if the intensity of the training increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

It's definitely an individual thing. There's plenty of lads on here doing 7 days and a lot more weekly mileage than me. DD, Healy, AMK are all in or around 80 miles a week when in a heavy training block.
    I guess there's a few things for me. Being coached is the main one. Another is the approach to building to that point of seven days. I did a tonne of aerobic based stuff and built up to it slowly.
    It's a balancing act tho. The longest streak I managed was 49 days before taking a rest day. I expect in 2021 I should manage more than that.

Wouldn't have dreamed of it a year ago. Still only hovering around 57 miles a week. Its manageable, given the training load. Might change if the intensity of the training increased.

This would make an interesting thread!

Currently I'm hovering about 62m/week 7 days a week - but am not currently following a plan - nor in a heavy training block.

When I start into some heavier intensity, my old body might want a day off.

Whats interesting is that I've thought for a while about doing some 5k type training on 4-5 days a week - where you feel fresh 90% of the time and not going into workouts tired.
    Any time I've tried to do 5k training of 6-7 days, I get so fatigued and got injured last Aug/Sept.
    I reckon after a lot of miles in the legs, I could do that for an 8 week block - run the race - then revert back to the higher mileage moderate intensity stuff.

My current streak is 46 days (I think) but that might come to an end this weekend :P

• Advertisement

Currently I'm hovering about 62m/week 7 days a week - but am not currently following a plan - nor in a heavy training block.

Whats interesting is that I've thought for a while about doing some 5k type training on 4-5 days a week - where you feel fresh 90% of the time and not going into workouts tired.
    Any time I've tried to do 5k training of 6-7 days, I get so fatigued and got injured last Aug/Sept.
    I reckon after a lot of miles in the legs, I could do that for an 8 week block - run the race - then revert back to the higher mileage moderate intensity stuff.

My current streak is 46 days (I think) but that might come to an end this weekend :P

Great idea! I’ll make on sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Looking ahead for the coming year I have a few running and race goals:

Achieve a better level of consistency through the full year. Really lost motivation after my last race of 2019 in November.

Actually race a 5k, hell maybe even push the boat out and race a 10k too. Kinda stupid that I haven’t raced either distance yet.

Have signed up for a couple of HM in the spring. Get a PB and go sub 85 mins.

Get a PB (current 3:13:51) in Dublin marathon. This is going to be tough but hopefully will be carrying more mileage into this years one and a time will follow suit.

And finally, actually meet some fellow A/R boardsies at some race down the line!

Bloody Covid!

Not one official race ran or fellow A/R boardsie met.
    On the plus side i should finish the year with 2200 miles which would be more than 50% more then I ever did before and did get an unofficial sub 3 in VDCM.

Hopefully onwards and upwards in 2021!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

deconduo wrote: »
    Started running earlier this year for the first time, so didn't have any goals for 2019 :D

For 2020 something like:
    • 5k - 22.XX (currently 24.52)
    • 10k - 49.XX (currently 53.27)
    • Run a half marathon
    • Run a marathon
    • No injuries. (Been good so far!)

Bonus goals would be sub 2hrs in the HM and sub 4hrs in the full. I think those should be possible, but we'll see :)

• No injuries. (Been good so far!) - Nope :( - had a bad fall at the end of March that meant 6 months of no running
    • 5k - 22.XX (currently 24.52) - Nope, did improve to 24.09 early on in the year but the injury prevented any further improvements. Might have a go around Christmas
    • 10k - 49.XX (currently 53.27) - Yep, did a 10k TT a few weeks back and came in at 48.30!
    • Run a half marathon - Yep, best run of the year 1:49 at Bohermeen
    • Run a marathon - Yep, did Dublin virtual and finished in 4.36. Had minimal training and had lost fitness so it was much slower than I would have liked but happy I finished it. Targetting a big PB next year :D

Yep it's the speed that kills isn't it.

I think there's a tradeoff between volume and intensity. I'm no expert but I think you want to go into 5k training with a big aerobic base, step back the volume and up the intensity. For longer distances I think there's more focus on volume/aerobic based training. Very simplistic view but if I was doing high intensity sessions, especially 5k, I think I'd want to be stepping back in volume or days of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Distance | 2019 PB | 2020 Target | 2020 Actual
    1 Mile|0:05:58|0:05:49|0:05:49 - Boards 1M TT
    5 K|0:19:44|0:19:15|0:19:30 - Parkrun the week before Bohermeen, so during HM training
    5 Mile|0:36:51|0:32:29|0:32:31 - So close - Raheny 5M
    10 K|0:42:38|0:40:59|N/A - No 10k races, although Strava tells me I got a 10k PB in Bohermeen of 0:42:04
    10 Mile|1:14:41|1:11:59|N/A - Also no 10M races, although Strava also tells me I got a 10M PB of 1:07:42 in Bohermeen
    Half Marathon|1:36:38|1:32:59|1:29:01 - Bohermeen - last race before lockdown #1
    Marathon|3:31:53|3:24:59|N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Distance | 2019 PB | 2020 Target | 2020 Actual
    1 Mile|0:05:58|0:05:49|0:05:49 - Boards 1M TT
    5 K|0:19:44|0:19:15|0:19:30 - Parkrun the week before Bohermeen, so during HM training
    5 Mile|0:36:51|0:32:29|0:32:31 - So close - Raheny 5M
    10 K|0:42:38|0:40:59|N/A - No 10k races, although Strava tells me I got a 10k PB in Bohermeen of 0:42:04
    10 Mile|1:14:41|1:11:59|N/A - Also no 10M races, although Strava also tells me I got a 10M PB of 1:07:42 in Bohermeen
    Half Marathon|1:36:38|1:32:59|1:29:01 - Bohermeen - last race before lockdown #1
    Marathon|3:31:53|3:24:59|N/A

Not a bad return at all for the year that’s in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Not break a rib
    2:55 at DCM
    Ballyhoura Marathon with Kate for the craic
    Scooch close enough to 5k, 10k, HM PBs to worry em
    Not do my glute
    2,000m
    Yoga often
    Not do a hamstring
    Run with people
    Run up some hills
    I'll come back to this in 12m and rate myself /10

Ribs intact, broke some each of last 3 years so check #1

No DCM but wouldn't have been realistic. Fail #1

Chatted on the phone but no F2F or hill run. Fail #2

18:53 in the Boards 5kTT was about 40secs off, best effort of the year but not close. Fail #3

Glute is fine stronger than ever after all the rowing, squats, and lunges so check #2

2,000m achieved so check #3

Yoga often hmmm spent more time than ever on the mat so Ill call that a tentative check #4

Hamstring niggle but managed it only to get a stupid sudden foot injury that has been longer lasting and more frustrating than cracked ribs! FAIL #4

Ran with at least 2 boardies F2F and if it wasn't for Civid it would have been more. Sort of check #5

Hills. Fail #5

50% on the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I've only one goal in 2020 - the elusive sub 20 minute 5K.
    Current PB - 20.52 (December 2019)

This should fall this year.

Correction - this WILL fall this year. :D

uxSzOnS.jpg

Well.........em........yeah........ I got nowhere near this. :o
    Didn't even go sub 21 this year.

Did a 3 month training plan and ended up slower than when I started. :D
    The perils of only having one goal! Hey, at least i enjoyed the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

healy1835 wrote: »
    2020 will be entered with the following PB's...

5k: 17:06
    5M: 28:22
    10K: 35:11
    10M: 60:33
    HM: 1:19:40
    Marathon: 2:53:55

I'd like to think that they are all on the chopping block next year. Some are softer than others and all of them, with the exception of the 10Mile time, were set in 2019.

Some arbitrary numbers in here, in some cases I'll be happy to just PB, but I might as well put a time on the board.

5k: 16:xx
    5M: 27:xx
    10k: 34:xx
    10M: 58:xx (The 60min barrier was a personal bug bear of mine last year...it's gonna fall this year)
    HM: 1:18:xx
    Marathon: 2:49:xx in Manchester would be fantastic and then maybe reasess for Amsterdam/Frankfurt

Will probably be a touch under 3000 miles for this year, not really in a position to up the mileage a great deal at the moment so will hopefully keep it at around the same.

I could talk about more sleep and what not, but it's a bit of a vagary really!

Going into 2020 fitter than I've ever been so looking forward to it all really :)

Well, for the year that was in it, I didn't do all that bad as regards the above.

5k: 16:xx 'Yes'
    Didn't actually race one but I did run a 16:51 TT last week and that augurs well for the next time I take the line.

5Mile: 27:xx No
    Ran 28:12 PB in Raheny on tired enough legs during Manchester block and was happy with that. I'd fancy the chances of going under 28 next time out, whenever that may be.

10k: 34:xx No
    Didn't race one, but was hoping to go under 35mins in a TT this weekend, but I've pulled the plug on that. Would have been close enough.

10Miles: Break 60mins + 58:xx Yes & 'Yes'

Broke 60 mins in Trim when I struggled on a day that saw me coming in off racing Raheny and a hard midweek session in the previous Wednesday. Was frustrated enough and went some way to putting that right when I ran a 58:40 TT back in late August.

HM: 1:18:xx No
    Raced Carlingford the day before Bohermeen back in March and clocked 1:20:15 (and bagged a podium spot :)) in a solo effort on a tough enough course, which also measured long.

Marathon: Sub 2:50 in Manchester + Sub 2:45 in Amsterdam No
    Not a whole lot to say here really. Ran a 2:56 virtual DCM for a bit of craic in October. Really enjoyed it and it proved a decent springboard for a a few weeks quality training.

Will end up with over 5000km for the year.

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Well, for the year that was in it, I didn't do all that bad as regards the above.

5k: 16:xx 'Yes'
    Didn't actually race one but I did run a 16:51 TT last week and that augurs well for the next time I take the line.

5Mile: 27:xx No
    Ran 28:12 PB in Raheny on tired enough legs during Manchester block and was happy with that. I'd fancy the chances of going under 28 next time out, whenever that may be.

10k: 34:xx No
    Didn't race one, but was hoping to go under 35mins in a TT this weekend, but I've pulled the plug on that. Would have been close enough.

10Miles: Break 60mins + 58:xx Yes & 'Yes'

Broke 60 mins in Trim when I struggled on a day that saw me coming in off racing Raheny and a hard midweek session in the previous Wednesday. Was frustrated enough and went some way to putting that right when I ran a 58:40 TT back in late August.

HM: 1:18:xx No
    Raced Carlingford the day before Bohermeen back in March and clocked 1:20:15 (and bagged a podium spot :)) in a solo effort on a tough enough course, which also measured long.

Marathon: Sub 2:50 in Manchester + Sub 2:45 in Amsterdam No
    Not a whole lot to say here really. Ran a 2:56 virtual DCM for a bit of craic in October. Really enjoyed it and it proved a decent springboard for a a few weeks quality training.

Will end up with over 5000km for the year.

You’re a beast! Well done and congratulations I didn’t realise you placed in Carlingford!!

Advertisement