Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you'd like to say to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

First birthday without you Mam. Photos from my birthday last year came up on my google photos today. I remember crying when the cake was brought out because I knew it would be the last one I would have you for. I keep half expecting to get a text from you. I miss you so much.

Happy Birthday, Mam. I miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

21 years ago today, has it really been that long? You gave me so much. So many things I would never have had if it hadn't been for you. Any goodness in me comes from you. I love you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don’t think it’s just because it’s nearly Christmas or down to COVID but these last few days have been so difficult. As a child, sometimes other children would mistakenly or otherwise refer to me as lonely rather than only. I never felt lonely or only then. But now, despite the wonderful people with whom I share my life, I feel both. Not always but at times. And right now, it’s crushing. Bought you pink roses today, will drop them off tomorrow. Might make us both smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

I wonder where you are. You must be broken, was it a mistake, do you wish you could come back. Suicide is never the solution. Everyone misses you but I watch our children and see tears in their eyes..you must be broken to be gone from them. I hope you celebrated your beloved Limerick win the all Ireland yesterday. I wish that I could feel that you are at peace now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hope she heard me the last time I spoke to her and I hope she knew that I didn’t see her as much since March because of Covid-19 and not for any other reason. Btw Covid has made funerals even worse. And yeah Christmas this yeah is going to be extra strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

My bday today. Always a hard day. Miss you so much mam. Love you xxx

One year ago today was the last time I got to see you in the flesh. The last time I got to sit and have a chat and share your favourite cappuccino and blueberry muffin with you.

I'm sorry it was a shorter visit than usual, but I didn't know then that the very next day the first case of this ****ing virus would be identified in Ireland and all visiting would be stopped and I'd never get to see you in the flesh again.

I know your anniversary is not for another few weeks, but it feels like it's today. I miss you.

After all this time & I miss you every day, today is when I need you. I don’t feel isolated particularly or lonely in general, not even hopeless either but if there was a devil who’d buy my soul today, I’d sell it for a hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Hi Mum.

I'm gonna be a Dad soon :)
    Makes me miss you even more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You would have been thirty yesterday, instead you're gone almost two years. It's eerie thinking about that lad. I miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Hope you loved all the flowers for mothers day mam. Three mothers day with you in heaven. Love you so much and miss you dearly. Xxxxx help D settle please have a few words with him xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I hope you are both reunited, as you said Nan you didnt have much of a life without each other. 5 months was all it took for you both to be reunited.
    I feel robbed of our last year with grandad, why did he have to go into a home just as Covid was taking off. I am so glad we got to spend time with you Nan in your last days while you were still lucid and I hope Grandad knew we were there while he was on his way to you.
    I wish you could let me know that you are both ok and together...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To my mother.

Happy 56th birthday.

Getting closer to your 10th anniversary now.

Turning 37 this year myself, seems stranger with each passing year as I get closer and closer to 46 myself, it's crazy how young that was.

My first son was born nearly a year ago, he has helped me understand my parents more, it's sad you and him will never meet.

First anniversary today since we lost you. I hope its better where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

RIP Christopher, you were a true Gentleman and will be sorely missed . Much love until we meet again one day x

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

What a bloody mess you've left me in

• Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut

It’s 2 years since I got that call. And I relive it.

I didn’t realise how much of an effect you had on me, in fairness the petty arguments and snide remarks made me want to slap you at times.

You lived your last few weeks with dignity. The amount of mourners at your funeral was a testament to your good nature. Still can’t believe your place of work shut down, first time in history.

You are always talked about in this house and your memory will be lived on x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I can’t believe you are gone, it’s all so surreal. I take comfort in believing you are reunited with Dad again. You were so excited to meet your new granddaughter but you passed just 3 weeks before she arrived. I hope you heard C whisper her name to you, one of your guesses was right 😄. Watch over her and all of us, Mum
    Elbows !!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

Dad, if you could see me today vs me when you passed, you wouldn't know me. I did everything I always promised I would do. I achieved all the things!! Now what, I need new goals! I wonder what the first gift I'd buy you would be, a new laptop?
    We got a new cat in October, you'd love him. Lives up to his name, absolute gremlin, and a complete mammy's boy.
    I'm gonna have to deal with an unfortunate situation soon, and I'm sorry I ever let it happen in the first place. The nerve of some people taking the mile when you give an inch. She'll be put back in the box I rattled though, and I'm going to enjoy doing it. It's overdue. All this to say, I'll need your strength that day Dad.

It's getting harder to remember your voice but your smile is always right there when I need it pops.

Love your daughter xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Make a will! No avoiding the inevitable!

Often wonder about the boy , the teenager , the man you would have become Son x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh man, why? Our family is shaken.. I am glad we talked more lately but there's a guilt there too. Sleep well, i'll give you a slap when i see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭sporina

Oh Mum I would love one of your hugs right now... NO ONE gives hugs like you 😪

And I miss your beautiful smile and your wittiness.. you wer so funny.. awe bless..

Always and forever loved and missed Mam x

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Mam of 4,

Same story with me. Wonder wonder wonder. You.d drive yourself mad. A friend lost a son, aged, 19. She said..At least we knew if he

liked cornflakes. That statement would mean nothing to some people, but it was such a strong statement to me. We.l never know.

Hugs to you Outdoor Lass . Definitely so many" I wonder's" , never to be answered x

I picked up the phone tonight but you’re still bloody gone

Hello Mammy. Words I've been saying to you for most of my life and continued to do so the last few days as you lay in the coffin. 'Hello mammy', 'see you tomorrow', 'talk to you tomorrow', 'are you ok', 'your hands are freezing', 'I wish you would wake up'. I wanted to put gloves on you. You were there but not there and it is nothing like how I thought it would be. It felt like the dementia had taken you but it hadn't, this is different and what do I do now mammy? You were the best in the world. A kind word, a joke, a helping hand, the epitome of 'she would talk to the wall'. All those times we would walk down the town together and you stopping to chat with every second person, me being bored wishing you would hurry up. Do you remember the time you and H and me hid on the decent but intense regular visitor we had? We were plagued by him but you felt he was lonely so opened up our home and welcomed him in. Until he took a shine to me :D But we still felt sorry for him so rather than having daddy send him away we went down the road a bit and kept watch :D Absolutely bonkers stuff but we got a great laugh out of it.

Me clinging to you as I sat on the back of your bike on my way to school. That was the best. You smelled all perfumey. If it was a wet morning you put a tracksuit bottoms under my school dress to help keep me warm and sort of dry. Oh how I hated that, I had such an acute sense of feeling different even then and that just amplified it. That was love though and I was so lucky. You could have been luckier, I have many regrets. I know you would never ever think that but I feel such sadness in my heart for the times I was not the daughter you deserved. I am deeply sorry for that and promise you that if we had the time again I would make it up to you.

Your 'cooking' though 😆 Potatoes as dry as Gandhi's slipper and gravy with more lumps in it than an auld mattress. The rotation of fish/crispy pancakes/cabbage and rashers 😂 It didn't matter mam. Not then and not now. I can still smell the YR sauce that daddy used to smother his spuds in and the smell of oil from his work clothes. You fussing. Then one day you decided you weren't going to cook dinner anymore. We thought it was the strangest thing but sure that was the start of it. The subtle personality changes. Your love of children slowly turned in to suspicion and we had to send away our regular little visitors explaining that you weren't well. There was plenty of humour in those times too which was so fitting for the woman you were. Money being stored in the freezer, your upfrontness being amplified in often hilarious ways, and then there was 'baby'. You got awful attached to my childhood doll and took her with you into the nursing home. She was such a comfort to you. Frogs as well. You had my poor aunt in pieces with your finding of frogs. The weirdest thing but there seemed to be quite a few of them around that summer. I remember being in bed one morning and in you came to show me the latest one. I have the photo still.

You would have been so delighted to see the turnout for you mammy. People have been so kind and supportive. A few of the usual 'dictators' as well but that wouldn't have surprised you 😛 They were there because of Daddy too. He is doing ok and I am minding him as best I can. You don't need to worry about that.

I love you Mammy. You were my best friend. All the good bits in me are because of you. You are how I recognise love because you gave it to me first and vice versa. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love you dad.

I'm so sorry for many things, but mostly I didn't tell you that, feeling awkward as only Irish men can be.

I miss you so much.

Advertisement