Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad double edge shaving results

• 13-12-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I decided a couple of months ago to drop the disposable razors and try the Double Edge razors for shaving. I went over to the Shaving Shack, looked for the best reviews and got myself a razor and these blades.

I also read few articles, saw few videos and tried to learn how to use it.

My first try was really good, but hair wasn't perfectly cut. I said ok, I suppose there is a learning curve. However as time passes, and I am using it more, it gets worse, not better. And although I am achieving better results in hair length, shaving with or against the hair direction, I getting my self cut a lot! :( See the picture to understand how bad it gets. Picture was taken after a normal shave going with hair direction.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong... I hold my skin tight, I don't put much pressure, I hold the razor to ~30 degrees with my wrist and move my arm, etc.

I really want to get used to it, but I am not happy with the results and I cannot go to work, or out like that...

Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get a shaving brush and good soap soften your skin and the stubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

You might want to try a different blade. Maybe try a sampler pack like this and find the one which works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

I started using one of these about 4 months ago, and butchered myself (similar to your pic) on the first shave.

As a result, I checked out some videos and for me it seems I was applying too much pressure and not enough angle.

Been fine since and way prefer it to 'normal' razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The Feathers are the sharpest generally available, and not ones to start out on to be honest.

Try a sample pack.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/50-blade-premium-selection-sampler.html

I use the Personna for normal shaving and the Feathers if u want it that bit closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The astra blades are kind enough..

You definitely need an Alum block stops the bleed. https://4men.ie/Catalogue/Brands/Osma-Laboratories/osma-bloc-alum-block-75g-226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

From the picture it looks like too much pressure and not maintaining the correct angle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDpmyUF5iDM (Go 2min in)

And Yeah, the feathers are too sharp. I can put them into an argessive razor and not get a nick but, because the are so sharp my skin feels raw post shave and I'll need a balm so sooth the skin. I only use them paired with mild razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

dmc17 wrote: »
    You might want to try a different blade. Maybe try a sampler pack like this and find the one which works best for you.
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    The Feathers are the sharpest generally available, and not ones to start out on to be honest.

Try a sample pack.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/50-blade-premium-selection-sampler.html

I use the Personna for normal shaving and the Feathers if u want it that bit closer.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have already ordered the sample pack on 18th on November but hasn't arrived yet... Don't know if it is lost or due to heavy load. However I have received many other packages from UK since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Wizard! wrote: »
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have already ordered the sample pack on 18th on November but hasn't arrived yet... Don't know if it is lost or due to heavy load. However I have received many other packages from UK since

Try a few from the sample pack I found Gillette 7 o'clock Green or Astras the mildest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I agree Feathers are the worst possible blade to start with. Far too sharp while just starting out although they do give great results in mild razors once you've mastered your technique.

No harm watching a few vids for tips rather than us type them. Check out the series from the master himself. These crusty videos have probably taught thousands to shave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufG1dPmVo8Q&feature=youtu.be&t=293

An alum block can be very useful when learning your technique. A great feedback tool, the sting lets you know where you need to improve (watch your angles, no pressure!) while also stopping bleeding and acting as an antiseptic. Leave it on for 30 seconds or so and then rinse off. Then try a soothing shave balm.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-alum-tube-stick.html

Feel free to ask more questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I don't think this is down to pressure or angle. Bad angle will give you razor burn/irritation/redness as the blade scrapes across the skin rather than cutting cleanly. Too much pressure is much the same but a really heavy hand will give irritation along the whole length of the blade, not isolated nicks and cuts.

To me this looks like the blade is too sharp, you're moving the razor sideways and/or awkwardly on the face (notice the worst is around the curves of the chin and at the bottom of the neck where you're probably shaving upwards) or the razor is too aggressive/too much blade exposure. Which razor are you using?

• Advertisement

46 Long wrote: »
    Which razor are you using?
    Hill and Drew HDRB40 Double Edge Butterfly Razor

Hill and Drew HDRB40 Double Edge Butterfly Razor

Not familiar with the name but I did a quick Google and have a feeling that's a really cheap Chinese razor like a Weishi dressed up in a fancy box. Cheap isn't necessarily bad (the Wilkinson Sword Classic is excellent and most supermarkets have them) but the quality and tolerances on those things can be very suspect.

46 Long wrote: »
    Not familiar with the name but I did a quick Google and have a feeling that's a really cheap Chinese razor like a Weishi dressed up in a fancy box. Cheap isn't necessarily bad (the Wilkinson Sword Classic is excellent and most supermarkets have them) but the quality and tolerances on those things can be very suspect.
    I have to admit that I didn't do a thorough research on the razor, as I bought it mostly as a test to see if I am happy with it, before deciding to spend more on it.

Is there any decent razor I could try, without spending a fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I have to admit that I didn't do a thorough research on the razor, as I bought it mostly as a test to see if I am happy with it, before deciding to spend more on it.

Either the Muhle or the Jagger - they are essentially the same.

https://www.shaving.ie/standard-closed-comb/

When you master the technique you can get a Feather stainless razor and use your Feather blades. In the meantime get the Persona or the Polsilver, a brush and decent soap. The Proraso soap is good to start with.

Just make sure you have lots of cupboard space in your bathroom, DE shaving is a bit of a rabbit hole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm using the mhule a few years after my cheap starter one smashed off the ground, can't remember the last time I cut myself there's good weight to it. Can't really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There is always the option of a vintage razor as well. I have a 1948 Super speed. One of the best razors I own. This one is from 1950 (looks like a V date code.) believe off of Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/914576719/vintage-gillette-tto-safety-razor-super?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=gillette+razor&ref=sr_gallery-2-16&organic_search_click=1

Wilkinson Sword Classic. You can't go wrong. Boots usually have them in stock and they're easily available online for a few quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Razor/264334271245?hash=item3d8b8ce30d:g:jl4AAOSwcdRY90CA

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

I've the steel version of the Wilkinson Sword Classic, very happy with it and it's my first double edge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J71CJSF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Jug2FbWP3MDDZ

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just received the sampler.
    Any suggestions from which one to start, or if I need to leave any last?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Astras or Derbys are similar and good place to start. The 7Oclocks seemed a bit crap for me.

I think tho, anything over the feathers will give you better results (assuming technique and blade angle are ok). Shave a 2nd or 3rd time in different directions for that close shave feel (rather than using the sharper feathers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just received the sampler.
    Any suggestions from which one to start, or if I need to leave any last?

Astra or Personna.

I fkund the Gillette good, the Astras comfy but not as sharp.
    Best all rounder for me was the personna and I subsequently bought a 200 pack of them

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Confused11811

As mentioned Feather blades aren't for beginners. The sample pack you have has a decent variation of blade types. Each person's results and preferences will differ but I would strongly suggest you look at your pre shave preparation.

I get less than stellar results if I don't do my preparation correctly. I use very hot water and get my skin red from the heat, then apply proraso sensitive preshave cream by hand. I'm currently using Lea sensitive shaving cream which I apply over the preshave. This preparation works wonders for me.

Regarding razors, It's a bit of a black hole the variety is that big. If I was to have just 3 razors of my collection it would be a tie between my Merkur slant and Futur.... My current number one is my most recent razor the Henson Shave razor. It's completely different in shaving terms to anything I've tried before, it feels its impossible to cut my with and I'm getting amazing irritation free shaves from it , for me it's head and shoulders above any other razor I've used. That said with the correct preparation I get great results from most razor and blade combination.

But be warned, you may get RAD :-)

I use very hot water and get my skin red from the heat...
    In the videos that were posted above, all of them suggested to use warm water and not hot. The reason is that hot water, removes oil from the skin, which helps the blade to slide and also irritates the skin... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

In the videos that were posted above, all of them suggested to use warm water and not hot. The reason is that hot water, removes oil from the skin, which helps the blade to slide and also irritates the skin... :confused:

What you'll learn quickly is that everyone is different, what works for one person will have you in bits and vice versa.

You need to experiment with a number of processes and see what works best for you. You'll find it even eventually but drop the feathers immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

source wrote: »
    What you'll learn quickly is that everyone is different, what works for one person will have you in bits and vice versa.

You need to experiment with a number of processes and see what works best for you. You'll find it even eventually but drop the feathers immediately.

yeah this all day - and not even everyone is different - your own skin is different at different times - summer/winter/under stress/ coming down with something.

The feathers are definitely very aggressive tho - I find if I change direction even slightly during a stroke of the blade then it looks like a mafia hit on my face.

A good lather, a good angle and a less aggressive blade to start with then tweak for your own preferences as time goes on.

I can only speak for my results. But I developed my technique after watching some videos by Geofatboy of shavenation and others. Opinions vary from one person to another but in my case I find that the hot water softens my hair and opens the pours. When I apply the preshave there is a much "better" feeling than if I used just warm water. I believe the preshave gets into my open skin pours and softens the hair much better this way. The preshave and the good quality shave cream should provide enough lubrication to help the razor glide over your skin. I've suffered with very bad neck irritation from standard cartridge razors , caused by lack of lubrication and skin friction. I can get the irritation to a lesser extent with some DE razors ( rex ambassador ) but with the preparation I use I get really good results with no irritation from most of my razor/blade combination. Merkur razors slant, open comb and adjustable work well for me with this preparation, the best was the merkur slant, now 2nd to the Henson

If you where to listen to everyone your head will be totally wrecked :-) Just spend some time doing your preparation and trust your gut feeling. You can always change things to see if you get better results.

Your preparation was probably fine, I'd say you just picked the wrong blade. Feather are very very unforgiving. The razor you have is probably a rebranded Baili razor, they are clones of the Gillette TTO, I've a gold one. They're mass produced and are a decent mild enough razor , with the right blade you'll be fine.

EDIT - I actually have exact razor you have, it's a rebranded Baili BR179. Decent razor , can be too mild for some people. I'd require a 3 pass shave with it, most other razor I get away with 2 passes. Still a good razor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I decided a couple of months ago to drop the disposable razors and try the Double Edge razors for shaving. I went over to the Shaving Shack, looked for the best reviews and got myself a razor and these blades.

I also read few articles, saw few videos and tried to learn how to use it.

My first try was really good, but hair wasn't perfectly cut. I said ok, I suppose there is a learning curve. However as time passes, and I am using it more, it gets worse, not better. And although I am achieving better results in hair length, shaving with or against the hair direction, I getting my self cut a lot! :( See the picture to understand how bad it gets. Picture was taken after a normal shave going with hair direction.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong... I hold my skin tight, I don't put much pressure, I hold the razor to ~30 degrees with my wrist and move my arm, etc.

I really want to get used to it, but I am not happy with the results and I cannot go to work, or out like that...

Please advise.
    Why don't you go back to the cartridge razors? They are far easier to use than DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just received the sampler. Any suggestions from which one to start, or if I need to leave any last?

I would throw away the Derby as I remember them being far too dull but then this was years ago. Can't comment on Timor, not sure if I've tried them.

I'd progress from Astra to Personna to Gillette 7 o'clock yellows.

Feathers definitely last and only in a mild razor such as a EJ DE89. This was, and possibly still is, the most popular beginner's razor and once you're technique is mastered Feather's or Voskhod work excellent with it. When I went vintage with a more aggressive razor I abandoned Feathers altogether and settled on Personna blues (your sampler are the reds) which I buy cheaply in 100 packs.

Another good, cheap site for blades: https://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

I would throw away the Derby as I remember them being far too dull but then this was years ago. Can't comment on Timor, not sure if I've tried them.

I'd progress from Astra to Personna to Gillette 7 o'clock yellows.

Feathers definitely last and only in a mild razor such as a EJ DE89. This was, and possibly still is, the most popular beginner's razor and once you're technique is mastered Feather's or Voskhod work excellent with it. When I went vintage with a more aggressive razor I abandoned Feathers altogether and settled on Personna blues (your sampler are the reds) which I buy cheaply in 100 packs.

Another good, cheap site for blades: https://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

Derby can be hit and miss depending on the age of the stock. I've read the factory equipment was updated in recent years. I've only used newer Derby USTA, they were very good.

Connaught shaving are an excellent seller, however sometimes the eBay shop works out cheaper. If ordering from there main site the code "10FREE" gets you a pack of the Super Shave X blade's, which are supposed to be very good. The Docro prime platinum blades they have on a reduced price in the clearance section are for me a very very good blade, without any out the annoying wax dots found on other blades.

Labarbiera based in the UK are excellent too. At the moment they don't ship from their main site but their eBay Germany listing ship to Ireland for €1.15 as apposed to nearly €8 for their eBay UK listings. Same products, same shipping location but much cheaper shipping for stuff listed on eBay Germany.

Shop front here :- https://www.ebay.ie/sch/m.html?item=142690083450&hash=item2138fde27a%3Ag%3Aa0YAAOSwAANY7oOQ&var=441677147619&_ssn=labarbiera&_sop=15

The Lord Silver Star blades they sell at that price are an absolute brilliant blade, probably the best value for money and performance blade I've used , Dorco Prime at Connaught being similar great value.

There is a mountain of choices which can cause confusion. For the OP stick with what you have for the moment and see if you can get good results. You will given time.

OP if ordering from shaving.ie again use the code "boards.ie" or "boards" at the checkout for a 5% discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 viewer

I use this stuff https://www.defactoshave.com/product/de-facto-regular-25ml-without-packaging/(Irish company) plus Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream on top to get a nice shave as my skin aint the smoothest.

Advertisement