Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote: »
    Your only jealous.....

Don't tell my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Don't tell my wife!

She knows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Looks like you jogged 400m recovery between your 400s. Is that a standard mile fitness test workout? The one I always use is 10x400 with a 1 minute standing recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Looks like you jogged 400m recovery between your 400s. Is that a standard mile fitness test workout? The one I always use is 10x400 with a 1 minute standing recovery.

I doubt it. It was just a workout I had used previously for 5k and had planned to walk recoveries. I ended up not only jogging them but running them far too fast. Might try yours next time, thanks. In fact, I should just study your log

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

What sort of times for the10 x 400 were you putting in before your Sub 5 mile?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    What sort of times for the10 x 400 were you putting in before your Sub 5 mile?

74s and 75s with the odd 76 second blip. I'd usually push hard on the last one then for closer to 70-71. I was doing this before I ran a 5:02 indoor.

When I finally cracked the mile it was a month after I broke 18 minutes in the 5k. I then had around a 4 weeks where I took some some workouts off an online plan none of which included the 10x4s so I didn't get to do it before my run. Two weeks before it I ran, at 90%, effort a 5:08 on bumpy enough terrain. But the bellwether for me was the 1200 TT I did the week before at milepace. No faster and no sprint finish. It was easy to hold the pace especially when the bite came at 800, knowing it was 400 m shorter. It gave me the confidence that if I can get that far then the last 400 would look after itself. D did a sub 3 minute km a couple of weeks back so I reckon a 1200 at slightly slower pace (3:05 /km) should be doable now for him.

I took a pick and mix approach from this - https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/a775979/4-week-training-plans-for-running-a-fast-mile/

I'm wondering where my 16x400m @77/78secs off 30 secs would leave me...

Memory is obviously fuzzy. I went back and checked. Second week into the 4 weeks I did a close enough workout though not as tough-

8x400s at mile pace with 1.5 minutes rest. [76, 73, 72, 74, 73, 74, 73, 72]

It's coming back to me now :pac: This one was tough at 7am on the first week I think I found the hardest of all
    Saturday - Session - 1 km @ MP, 10 min jog, 600m faster, 10min jog, 400m flat out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113338194&postcount=175

healy1835 wrote: »
    I'm wondering where my 16x400m @77/78secs off 30 secs would leave me...

About 6.4 km down the road :D

That's a serious effort, although not at the target pace so I wouldn't be brave enough to call it. I think I was guessing previously you'd nail it though without focused training. Sub 5 shouldn't be an intimidating milestone for you.

Friday 3.75 miles@8.02
    Straight from the morning school run, a cold local half hour run. Capped it at 30 mins as had a minor tweak in lower back again on the Thursday. That coincided with me been a bit hit-and-miss on the core work in the last fortnight

Saturday 3.55 miles@8.35
    30 min prep jog to see how tight I was. Verdict- okayish

Sunday 10 mile TT

My friend contacted me on Tuesday asking would I be interested in doing a 10 mile TT this wkend with him. I had already mile plans and training mapped out, but canned it all and agreed instantly. He had the sub 60 target in his head.
    I had missed out on bib for Trim back in Feb then all hell broke loose, so I have never got the chance to race over 10 miles. I reckoned I was a little outside 60 mins at the min, but would pace it, as far as I could anyway. We had planned for Sat but with my back needing another day and him feeling a bit ill, we put it back to Sunday.

Twas a crisp morning and we were first in Marlay park. The 1 mile route was icy in parts so did a warmup on it to know where the hidden Skiddy parts were. The mile loop b as its known(i think) is actually 1.05 mile so we decided to do nine loops of that followed by 1k mini loop at the end to finish where we started.
    First mile clocked in at 5.58, little bit faster then we wanted. It was followed by 6.02, 6.02 to rein it in a bit. Unfortunately, half way through the 4th mile, C said he wasnt feeling right after his illness and was flagging. He told me to go on but I felt a bit guilty then, as I was trying to repay the favour to him for helping me pace my marathon. The truth was, I was feeling good and was content to kick on alone. Mile 4 and 5 came in at 5.58 ,5.58 to be a couple of seconds sub 30 for 5 miles. That made it simple for me 5x6 min miles to get under the hour. That was my only thought now. Mile 6, I had to do a bit of manoeuvring to avoid ice as a local running club had just started their group run just in front of me. Mile 7 and 8 was the start of the countdown stage where I found myself more obsessed with the watch. 5.57,5.56.
    I knew I was finishing now and had about 9 or 10 seconds in hand too which helped. I was now ultra cautious around the Skiddy parts as didnt want a slip to bring me down now. Mile 9 was 5.58 and to my surprise I had something left. I opened up as much as I could in the last mile for 5.42 to clock 59.28 for 10 miles. C had joined me for the last 400 metres . Despite him feeling off, he still managed to do a sub 39 min 10k. I was very happy with how I ran that and was nice to negative split.

43ish miles for the week

I signed up to the virtual Aware 5k next week more for the charity purposes than the run itself.. I havnt decided If I will do a race or tempo effort yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super job on the TT, I think the mile loop might be a segment I created :-) The other workout loop is the exact same, just starts at main carpark.
    I'd imagine where you came out of the forest and up between the pitches would have been fairly d-icey. We'd a few today who had TTs over 10k and 10M, but at 8am I got a text saying they were going to postpone.
    Concert field still very dodgy this evening.

Just goes to show the fitness and speed you've built up this year D that you could run that time this morning. Great stuff. Roll on 2021...

Wottle wrote: »
    Super job on the TT, I think the mile loop might be a segment I created :-) The other workout loop is the exact same, just starts at main carpark.
    I'd imagine where you came out of the forest and up between the pitches would have been fairly d-icey. We'd a few today who had TTs over 10k and 10M, but at 8am I got a text saying they were going to postpone.
    Concert field still very dodgy this evening.

Ah right DBR loop, thats yourself .That exact spot you mention was slippy alright. Other 2 spots were beside the chin up bars next to St John's and section from coffee shop up to pond was in shade too- a couple of running on the spots moment.

Monday - 4.22 Miles @8.41
    Recovery skip around GAA pitch after the TT from the previous day

Tuesday - 6.21 Miles @7.09
    In hindsight, should have left this session until Wednesday and not planned to do 2 midweek sessions this week. Legs were feeling a bit tired. It wasnt a particularly hard session on paper 8x400 @5k pace. I did tire in it though and last two reps were slower than i would have liked. I had planned to cycle after as had a bit of more spare time but didn't bother be in the end.

Wednesday 5.05 Miles @8.35
    Early evening trot around Marlay. Park is opening later at the minute as they are doing a Christmas lights walk which looks pretty cool for all ages. Donned the head torch for other areas of the park then which I had all to myself.

Thursday 7.53 Miles @7.49
    I'm leaning towards doing a 5k race effort over the weekend before I sample a few needed pints. It was April Boards TT, I think was the last time I did one. I'm not sure if I can improve on that time at present but sub 17 will be the target. I decided against doing a session here due to that,as my legs are still feeling a tad heavy at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Early evening trot around Marlay. Park is opening later at the minute as they are doing a Christmas lights walk which looks pretty cool for all ages. Donned the head torch for other areas of the park then which I had all to myself.

Nice, that sounds like a great idea for an evening buggy run, over to the park to look at the lights and back again. E will love it!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Nice, that sounds like a great idea for an evening buggy run, over to the park to look at the lights and back again. E will love it!

It seems to be weekdays up to 8pm

Friday 5.51 Miles @8.18

Tune up run which was mainly on grass

Saturday Virtual Aware 5k

This is a charity I'm always happy to contribute to. I only decided during the week that I will try one more race effort this year.
    Slight warm up jog to Marlay awaiting for the first bit of light about 07.45. I had planned to do 5 laps of the concert field as it measures in perfectly. There was a van unloading for the markets set up, that that had parked across the path. The grass next to it was far too mucky to safely negoitate it so reverted to the Wottle mile route, which is now a favourite of mine. 3 Loops of that followed by a perfect straight of approx 160 metres.
    Nothing too much exciting about this. I went out a little fast on first mile and had to reign it in a bit. 5.26. On the 2nd loop, I was starting to feel gassed. I was very close to pulling the plug as I was feeling the pinch.I persevered and hung in for a 5.33 mile. I had all but given up on the sub 17 as I started the 3rd loop slowing down. It was just get to the end job now.I glanced at he watch again after the last bit of uphill which left me with a bit of a slightly net downhill last 1km. I knew I would have to go full throttle if there was any chance going sub 17. I released as much as I could and I was lucky there was something there. The 3rd mile came in at 5.28 but the last Km was 3.17(bout 10 seconds faster than previous one) to sneak in at 16.59.

It wasn't quite as good as my boards TT but that was a 9 looped course which has more of a chance of GPS issues, so ultimately I was happy and delighted with how I finished.
    Of the people who bothered to put their results in via popup races, I seemed to have finished a distant 2nd to a certain former DCM winner. Now when I get down off my virtual podium here, I must have myself a few virtual beers.Cant wait for racing to come back :)

Sunday 4 mile @8.32
    This was just a hungover chore really. I shouldn't have bothered :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Great work! Cold/Blustery morning for a TT....

I had started to update runs from a few weeks back but it seemed like a lot of work. The Darts final and the pending arrival of my Thai dinner have taken precedence.

For the the Christmas period, I had a 36 mile week followed by a 51 mile week just gone. I ran every day with a mixture of easy and some shorter type sessions. There's a new 400 metre running path/track nearby that will get a fair bit of my usage in 2021. The project was running a little late, so the rubber crumb won't be put on until the spring. The tarmac at the minute is pretty good nonetheless.

With a fair bit of advice from folk around these parts, my running progressed in 2020. I was chuffed to get the most improved award, albeit a steal.
    I decided to not put any goals down for the moment but I may revisit that when the lay of the land is a bit clearer. I basically just want to consolidate the fitness and not get injured for the time being. I was reading Skyblues update on his Plantar fascitis. It sounded rough S. I have a dose of this in my right foot and its not getting any better for the moment. I need to manage this and running for the last 60 plus days, probably isn't helping .
    Happy New year folk, I'm off to eat

Failed to mention in above post but for my own reference finished 2020 with 2,635 Miles ran

Friday 1st of January
    6.21 Miles @8.00 easy enough run around Marlay taking in the park route followed by a few loops on the grass of the GAA pitch.

Saturday 2nd of Jan
    8.61 Miles @6.58. This was 3 x 10 mins at approx 6.10 effort with 2.5 minutes in between reps. I did this in Marlay again, mostly on the flatter side of the park. My GPS has been playing up since the previous day. By the looks of my strava map, it would appear as though I was chasing the fella that stole my lunch, even following him through ponds.:confused:

Sunday 3rd of January
    11.00 Miles @7.57. I capped off a really enjoyable solo running weekend with a nice route. I started off in Ballinteer and made the upward journey past the Blue Light Pub. Pity, but a was a bit early for a takeaway pint. I then made my way down the mountain through the mucky 'right of way' that brings you down towards Stepaside. I veered into Fernhill park on the way down and did a few loops of the new 400 metre running path. My legs were tired after mountain climb and previous days workout but I cheekily did a fast lap to see how responsive the legs were. Not really great was the answer but ill defo do a few workouts there now.

Monday 4.07 Miles @8.35
    Legs were stiff so just capped it at 35 mins jogs around the pitches in Marlay. GPS seemed sorted and wasn't running through ponds anyway.

Tuesday 7.23 Miles @7.57

I'm probably known to been an early riser runner around these parts which has been the case for large parts of the year. I had done very little of them since my marathon back in October though. With the new lockdown rules and more than likely having to work with kids at home for the foreseeable, I needed to re -acclimatise myself to early running again. I trudded out the door at 6.30am and did a local route that became very familiar(not in a good way) to me back in March, April of last year.

Wednesday 7.01 Miles @7.16
    This was a 1 mile warmup followed by 5x1k off 2mins 30. I was out early again in the zoom flys. It took me a while to get going here. I was half way through the warmup mile before I could get any comfort from the PF in my right heel. I have incorporated some new exercises etc on that front but probably just a matter of time before I will need to take a "few" days rest from running. Once I got into the session, I felt great and the reps were around the 3 mins 45 mark which what I was aiming for today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What’s this Fernhill running path? Don’t get out that direction much, especially these days, but always like to know where the facilities are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

On a similar topic, aren't DSD building a track up on Tibradden Road?

Murph_D wrote: »
    What’s this Fernhill running path? Don’t get out that direction much, especially these days, but always like to know where the facilities are.

Fernhill is a new DLRCC park that was formally a massive family residence near Stepaside. The council purchased it a couple of years ago and have done a fair bit of work there recently. Some fabulous trees and just a real natural feel to the place. They have constructed a walkway and now a 400 metre running lap too. It will become a 2 lane rubber track in the spring. Its an odd one, as its more the shape of a cricket oval rather than a standard track but it's pretty good nonetheless.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    On a similar topic, aren't DSD building a track up on Tibradden Road?

I remember that got the go ahead alright but have heard nothing since. It may be delayed with Covid but I'd imagine ReeReeG might know more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I remember that got the go ahead alright but have heard nothing since. It may be delayed with Covid but I'd imagine ReeReeG might know more here.

There were bits done in 2020 alright, a new entrance anyway. The old one was lethal on that road in fairness, right on a bend. I'm not sure if much else has happened. I did hear even though it had the go ahead and the funding approved etc, there were still a few things to be ironed out which was holding some of it up as well, never mind the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All that money from the VHI 10k and nowhere to spend it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    All that money from the VHI 10k and nowhere to spend it :pac:

To be fair, the DSD plans are very exciting indeed, and I look forward to running a few aul lad graded meets at the facility when it's finally up and running!

Thursday 5.77 miles @8.15
    Up to the pitches in marlay for a few loops of the GAA pitches and staying on the grass as much as possible. I love running on the crunchy icey grass.

Friday 6.05 miles@7.47
    Found a gap between 2 meetings to get out here. A little bit on the faster side of easy. They have added tarmac and repaved around the local meadowbrook soccer pitches. Its now a nice 1km flatish loop. Another new spot for workouts, me thinks. I cut it fine for the meeting and was a sweaty mess logging in.

Saturday 8.59 miles@6.58
    Back up to marlay. Few loops of the flatter sections of the park including 2 x 15 mins at approx 6.15-6.20 pace. This was intended to be about 6.10 pace but I was carrying the wrong type of six-pack from the night before. The effort was where I wanted it to be though.

Sunday 11.26 miles@8.04
    Intended to get out early for this but was run blocked by my youngest who was calling for me at 6am. After a long morn, I eventually got out around lunchtime. I took in a scenic route which incorporated a few tastey climbs. I went on my ear at one stage and was absolutely covered from head to toe in muck. No one saw it happen but I got a few chuckles as walkers passed me a minute or 2 later.

50 miles for week . Hopefully should be back getting a bit of guidance from L soon. I could do with it.

The coming weeks/months are going to be interesting with us both working from home and kids been present. I can't afford to be picky so will get out for runs whenever I can. I bumped into my dad out walking on my run today. The current status with this virus has him terrified. Its not easy seeing him walking around filled with anxiety. It makes me both angry and sad seeing him as almost a shell of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Your poor Dad, hopefully we’ll be out the other side soon and he can get some normality back in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

The coming weeks/months are going to be interesting with us both working from home and kids been present. I can't afford to be picky so will get out for runs whenever I can. I bumped into my dad out walking on my run today. The current status with this virus has him terrified. Its not easy seeing him walking around filled with anxiety. It makes me both angry and sad seeing him as almost a shell of himself.

Stop, the effect its had on my parents shocked me at Christmas I have to say. Its very hard on older people who are constantly being reminded this could be very serious for them in particular if they get it. The mental strain of that sure.

Advertisement