Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

From off topic thread, sorry mods :o

Am looking at joining a local course in January and have spent the last few months updating my fairly old bag with some newer stuff. My irons are TM Speedbladez and I like them well enough and they're barely used so happy to keep going with them. I've picked up a 2nd hand M2 3W and 4H to replace a positively ancient McGregor fairway wood set. My plan is to pick up two new wedges in January as its probably the strongest part of my game so happy to invest in some decent kit and hope to pick up a 3h in place of a 5w second hand somewhere. Which brings me to my query, my driver is a Nike VRS covert (the red one). I love the look of it and when I hit it well it goes a decent way though not sure how far to be honest as my local range is fairly crap in terms of distance markers, I'd estimate somewhere between 210-230ish. Now that I'm catching up with the latest tech I'm wondering if I should upgrade the driver to something newer and get fitted also? The course I'm joining is reasonably lengthy and rewards length off the tee so I'm thinking its an area I would potentially benefit the most from. A lot of YouTube videos and forums suggest that the biggest difference between my club and the newer ones is forgiveness, I generally tend to miss right with a massive slice so I figure I need all the help I can get.

Whats peoples thoughts on here and where would people recommend to go to get fitted in the new year? I know there's a lot of new clubs coming out in the first few months of next year so my plan was to maybe hang on until March and get fitted then. I'm based in Carlow and my googling research hasn't brought back much in the way of local fitters outside of O' Dwyers in Kilkenny and McGuirks in Dublin/Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Random golf thought:

I absolutely hate when people refer to golf clubs as "golf sticks"

Admittedly it's usually non-golfers but still it annoys me way more than it should

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I think the coverts got a bad name when they came out, not the longest nor very good on off centre hits. I had one a few years ago when I started out and the same as you I liked the look of them more than anything.

Launch monitor should show up what kind of spin model and loft driver suits you then you can try a few different shafts until one feels right.

I picked up a few yards changing driver after a fitting last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So how far does everyone travel to their club?

Looking at a potential 45 minute drive if we move to where we are considering, and that'll be a big change from the 4 minutes it currently takes. Would certainly limit the amount i could play, with very little evening rounds i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Kiith wrote: »

Looking at a potential 45 minute drive if we move to where we are considering, and that'll be a big change from the 4 minutes it currently takes. Would certainly limit the amount i could play, with very little evening rounds i would imagine.

Have this predicament at the moment, there's a club about 5 minutes drive away and then the other is about 20 minutes, two alternative options are around 30-40 minutes away. The two furthest away are marginally cheaper options and not as prestige courses as the two nearest but still decent tracks. My closest option is also the most expensive but I've been put off by some stories about elitism and generally snobbery associated with members so have gone for the one 20 minutes away. It has excellent facilities and is very reasonable to join at €750 for the year so that's my mind made up. I did strongly consider the others but as you say a 40 minute drive more or less eliminates evening golf after work unless you can nip off early.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I did this for a year when I was a member of New Forest, yes you are limiting yourself for the evening golf so you have to factor it in but the overriding piece for me was it was only going to be a year and the course was worth it.
    Shame, never made it to Tullamore to have a round with you, 2020 was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

25/30 mins on sunday morning. I usually have a golf podcast lined up for the trip.
    stop for a coffee and a sausage sambo en route. Bliss!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Went from a 5 minute drive to a 40 minute drive, but the pay offs were very much worth it for 2 reasons, new course is much better and a links so this time of year its a pleasure to play and always open compare to the wet parkland i came from and secondly, i actually get more competitive golf played now, as bizarre as that sounds. In my old club i could play early (before 8.30) 1 morning during the week however there would never be anyone around wanting to play at that time, however at this new club there are always people out early and i've got a nice 4 ball that play the club comp every Thursday morning.

slave1 wrote: »
    I did this for a year when I was a member of New Forest, yes you are limiting yourself for the evening golf so you have to factor it in but the overriding piece for me was it was only going to be a year and the course was worth it.
    Yeah, that's what i'm thinking. I've heard Dooks is quite nice, so i guess i don't mind a bit of a drive for a decent course. The landlord for the potential new house said he's sure i'd be able to get out in Hogs Head and Waterville once i meet and have a few pints with any of the local golfers :P
    slave1 wrote: »
    Shame, never made it to Tullamore to have a round with you, 2020 was a disaster
    Yeah, for sure. Total write off this year. Sure we'll have the Boards society next year once all this ****e is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tax_tutor1

Sounds like a sales pitch as is very is rare you will get out in Waterville unless paying green fees. Member guest rate there is expensive.
    As for Hogs Head forget it unless you play in one of the local school/GAA funder raisers.

• Advertisement

It was the landlord who knows a few of the regulars apparently. Don't worry, i won't be banking on any sort of time on either course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

40 minute drive for me also. It doesn't bother me as my 2 brothers are members who live closer. I manage to get out in the evening during the summer for the Tuesday comps.

I find the drive great for unwinding. Put Spotify on in the car and head off.

Course is links aswell so always available to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

fearruanua wrote: »

25/30 mins on sunday morning. I usually have a golf podcast lined up for the trip.
    stop for a coffee and a sausage sambo en route. Bliss!!!!

I have to say that does sound like bliss, although not sure I would be willing to move away to enjoy it :D

It’s just 7/8 minutes for me to the golf course, 20 seconds if I’m at the GF house, can’t complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

40 minutes drives just seems so long for golf

I do for opens and boards but I used with 25 minutes out of city when i lived in city centre was driving

It shocks me in that part of the country where 40mins driving is 50 km plus that there are no courses in between

Kerry really is a ****ed up place

Why are you moving there....surely no woman would do that a nice fella like you

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Yeah it is 45 minutes for me also. Back to my home course where I am a distance member. It means I cant win any of the majors (no chance anyway) or vote. I could play in Fermoy where I am living currently with my wife but on 2 occasions I played there I had bad experiences. One occasion I was out on my own and behind a 3 ball who were slow. Another 3 ball caught up. And one of the members abused me/took out his frustration on me over a bad shot and slowing down momentum. Anyway I haven't gone back since. The other course is a lot friendlier and strangers/blow ins are taken under the wing a bit. Plus there is no comparison in terms of the course itself and condition. Of course it means I wouldn't get out as much or 6/9 holes on a summers evening after work isn't really possible but I will try and make up for it over Christmas if the weather is anyway half decent God willing. When driving more than 5 or 10 mins it is important to do a proper stretch and take a few additional practice swings to loosen out the lower back. I enjoy the 45 minutes drive back in the car with a cup of coffee and go through each hole and see what part of game was working ok or not at all or where I left shots behind. I probably wouldn't do that if I lived so close.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    It shocks me in that part of the country where 40mins driving is 50 km plus that there are no courses in between

40 minute drive for me too, but if i turn on my GPS at my home, its lists all the courses local from nearest to furthest as the crow flys, my home course is 11th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

30-35 minutes for me. Can still get out in the evenings during the summer if I knock off a little early. We usually try play as early as we can on the weekends in summer so if teeing off at 8am it's about 25 mins with no cars on the road.

I live 30 seconds from Rathfarnham Golf Club, would love to join there but I'm only really starting playing properly this year so can't justify the 4k entrance money, maybe in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

8 mins away with no traffic

I play as early as I can before going to work.

Not getting to play much with the crap weather, not seeing much golf on TV either, I've started trawling eBay every evening and I just can't turn down a bargain 13 degree extra stiff RBZ 3 wood for £25 :)
    Could be an expensive time ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bear in mind if delivery slips past Dec 31st you could face post Brexit taxes and handling charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I suppose I'll have to start a bit of in house golf/training. I've got the putt out and a yellow whip so I'll have use of them now. Will give the clubs and gear a good wash. Load up on youtube golf if I've time. January will be bleaker than usual. Roll on April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

redzerdrog wrote: »

Have the accustrike version of the same thing. Got it last year, but given the way 2020 went, it didn't get much use.

Mostly ended up using it for some practice chipping in the house. It gives good feedback on strike.

As I haven't used it for much full swing stuff I can't really comment on the durability though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Have the accustrike version of the same thing. Got it last year, but given the way 2020 went, it didn't get much use.

Mostly ended up using it for some practice chipping in the house. It gives good feedback on strike.

As I haven't used it for much full swing stuff I can't really comment on the durability though

I drunkenly bought one last night. I recently bought Adam Youngs Strike Plan so there is a few drills in that it should come in handy for even if it just swinging at plastic balls in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

20 mins for me. There is another course just 5 mins away, but it is twice the price. 20 mins is fine anyway, but I wouldn't want to be driving anything more than 30.
    God I love golf. Dying for a game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

About 20 minutes for me once the m50 cooperates. Would need to be more careful on a weekday morning.

And online golf shopping is becoming a problem for me too. Wardrobe and shoe collection starting to bulge. Wife talking about sheds and extensions, cant be a coincidence.

Haven't gotten caught up in online shopping, but i am planning on building a full on golf net out the back of the new house, and then maybe invest in a decent launch monitor. Jan and almost certainly Feb will be no golf, so will need to actually start working on my swing from home.

Also, emailed Dooks 3 times, and called them about membership, and can't get any info. Same thing happened in Tullamore when i was looking for info. Not sure why clubs don't reply. Surely getting new members is a priority most of the time? I'll go easy on them as it's Covid, but still.

Wait...maybe it's me that's the problem :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I picked up my new irons and wedges on December 29th after a 15 week wait only for Golf to be closed the following day so haven't had the chance to hit them yet. Also joined Rosses as a distant member and not been down yet.

Renewal invoice arrived this morning for the home club. I reckon it will be March before I do either. Not a chance Golf will be looked at until schools are fully up and running again

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I picked up my new irons and wedges on December 29th after a 15 week wait only for Golf to be closed the following day so haven't had the chance to hit them yet. Also joined Rosses as a distant member and not been down yet.

Renewal invoice arrived this morning for the home club. I reckon it will be March before I do either. Not a chance Golf will be looked at until schools are fully up and running again

I think once non essential retail is open again then golf clubs will be open again. If schools are to remain closed until mid term or after it I should say then we are probably looking at mid March realistically for a return of golf. Its a pity but the only thing that takes the sting out of it for me is that a lot of golf clubs will be closed at the moment anyway due to extreme cold snap. From the couple of rounds I played before current restrictions it was tough sledding as well with underfoot conditions and heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Haven't gotten caught up in online shopping, but i am planning on building a full on golf net out the back of the new house, and then maybe invest in a decent launch monitor. Jan and almost certainly Feb will be no golf, so will need to actually start working on my swing from home.

Also, emailed Dooks 3 times, and called them about membership, and can't get any info. Same thing happened in Tullamore when i was looking for info. Not sure why clubs don't reply. Surely getting new members is a priority most of the time? I'll go easy on them as it's Covid, but still.

Wait...maybe it's me that's the problem :confused:

A lot of clubs will not have full time offices staff or the option of remote working for staff due to old phone systems. Also, some clubs will put staff on leave to allow them make claims. Because pros shops are closed, I reckon your wasting your time ringing any club at the moment.

Golf won’t reopen until we drop to level 4. I reckon that’s the start of March.

I also think we will be back to 14 mins or 2balls and no competitions for a while like last time.

It will be tough time for most clubs as renewals due now and clubs usually have very little cash at year end.

Advertisement