Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't stop moving...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thats extremely impressive. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I'm not sure which is more impressive....that time or how well behaved the passenger was for almost 90 mins!
    Brilliant effort all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm not sure which is more impressive....that time or how well behaved the passenger was for almost 90 mins!
    Brilliant effort all round!

Thanks. Yeah she loves running. If we go for a walk, she won't stay in buggy for 10 minutes before shouting "down down". But if we are running she doesn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great effort with the buggy. Did a lot of running with the buggy for our youngest but never at pace! Very impressive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Wow. Well done. That's a ridiculous buggy pace for 21 km.

• Advertisement

Thanks all - yeah clearly chuffed with it. The standard wasn't crazy high in the virtual rankings but was happy to be Top 50 overall anyway.

It also looks like E was the 3rd woman across the "line" (based on current preliminary results!)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Bravo, well done, that's a great achievement especially with the buggy and passenger! Your consistent running has really paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

That's a brilliant achievement, all the more so running with a buggy! Well done!

After all the excitement of last week, it was quite a bland, quiet week this week. Between E's birthday, and a generally feeling of tiredness/illness/lethargy, I only got out 3 times in the week.

Motivation has definitely ebbed away a little this week, which is not surprising really. With COVID, the groundhog day feeling comes around every now and then!

ReeRee shared the plan she was using to maintain base, think I might just follow it until I feel motivated to do any more. I'm not going to stress about being a bit bored with it all at the moment! Running is my hobby not a chore, so having 2 lazy mornings over the (occasional) weekend with E is fine by me.

Anyway, this week:

Tuesday
    7km @ 4:53/km. Felt stiff still, and tired. Pace felt quicker than it was too.

Wednesday
    8km with buggy @ 5:04/km. Again slower than it felt, but a really enjoyable run on a crisp evening.

Thursday
    6km @ 4:52/km. E's birthday today, so out early before all the birthday events kicked off. Just getting a few k's in really.

Week: 21km (8 with buggy)
    YTD: 1946km

The “goal” this week was to get out and running again, had been getting the feeling of sliding into a rut a little the previous week, which was fine. But didn’t want that to become the new norm.

I always find it strange, it’s like I forget how much I enjoy running, and I only realise it when I get back out again that I need it..?

Monday:

5km @ 4:53/km

Early morning spin. Starting easy with this one, lol. Just get out, listen to podcasts and only do 5km. Did enjoy it though.

Tuesday:

7km @ 4:54/km

Early start again, my dad was in hospital for a night, so my mum needed help with some stuff early doors. Ran down to her, had a little (socially distanced) chat and back home again. Hardly noticed the run in “commuting” aspect of it!

Wednesday:

A life-got-in-the-way rest day.

Thursday

8km @4:27/km

Have decided to borrow ReeRee’s base plan and see how it goes. As I said to her, nice to have a plan but nothing mental. And stops me having to Google workouts 5 mins before I go out the door. Also like that it’s effort based, so can do sessions with/without the buggy.

1st was 3 x 4 mins hard off 3 mins.

This was supposed to be 4 x 4, but I messed my time up and needed to get home. Duh!

Enjoyed it, the pace wasn’t too electric being honest (~10k pace maybe), it was early but maybe I need to explore what “hard” really means to me. I’m more used to going after a Pace.

Friday

6.1km with buggy @4:55/km

Another run to help out family. This time my sister needed stuff lashed in a skip. So ran up with buggy, fired it all in in a few mins and ran home. Felt like a strange sort of cross fit session this one. 😊

Saturday

14.5km with buggy @ 4:44/km

Back to Saturday morning “long” runs. Painting a few random estates near Ballyboden. Enjoyed it, a lovely morning out. But being honest, I was still feeling Thursday’s session in my glutes/hamstrings a bit. I’d felt them on Friday too. Which is interesting because at the time I didn’t feel I was working hugely hard.

Sunday

7.1km with buggy @4:40/km

Another gorgeous (and warm) morning to be out. Just a spin round the block really, legs still a bit stiff/sore too. Nice feeling though.

E is starting to notice Playgrounds from afar now, so have to expectation manage that we aren’t stopping which is working for now. But I think I might have to be more thoughtful with my routes in future to avoid a strop!

Week: 47.7km (27km with the buggy)
    YTD: 1994km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

crisco10 wrote:
    Enjoyed it, the pace wasn’t too electric being honest (~10k pace maybe), it was early but maybe I need to explore what “hard†really means to me. I’m more used to going after a Pace.

Came in around 10k pace for me most weeks, and that was going off heart rate. Not sure if that's helpful :)

Week 2 (well more like 1.5) of the Daniels base plan thingy.

Bit frustrating in the 2nd half of the week. As I was getting my groove on my glutes/hammy on left leg got quite stiff and sore so had to take it easier. Been lucky to stay clear of niggles so far in 2020 which makes it not too bad, and also more irritating. I’ve been drifting the last few weeks, and was starting to get focus back. Ahhhh well.

Monday:

7.5km with buggy @ 5:01/km

This was supposed to be a workout, but got stuck in work a full hour later than expected so turned into an easy round the block with E.

Tuesday:

11.1km @ 4:19/km

8 x 400m off 400m.

The target pace was what you can hold for 5 mins, so I used my Mile pace as a guide. Probably a smidge slower than the session intends but not far off (within 10% anyway). So target was low 80s for the 400. Came in at

85; 81; 83; 84; 82; 82; 83; 80

Session felt ok tbh, the recoveries are quite long, so I was honest and keep them to about 100 to 110 seconds.

I was pooped at end of last rep, but only cos I hammered it for last 100m. But overall session was nice and manageable. (there was even a 19:30 5k in there, despite the long recoveries!)

Wednesday:
    It was raining, and I was busy at work so took a rest day.

Thursday

10.5km @4:22/km

4 x 4 min hard off 3 min recoveries.

Distance covered in each 4 min rep was:

1.07km; 1.07; 1.11; 1.12

Out before work for this one. Like last week this was something about 10k pace which felt nice and hard without killing myself. Glutes and hammies are still a bit tight, so need to up my stretching/rolling game I think.

Also, does anyone else not do the final recovery and build it into the cool down basically?

Friday

Left glute was pretty sore so left running out today.

Saturday

Same as yesterday

Sunday

6km @5:00/km

Really easy and slow to see what leg was like and not amazing. I’ll keep tipping over at this pace/distance and reckon it will resolve in a few days.

Week: 35.1km (7.5km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2029km (passed my 2020 target of 2020 in 2020. Yay!)

A seriously low mileage (by 2020 standards) week for me. The hamstring glute wasn’t coming right so popped into physio on Tuesday to make sure I wasn’t running anything in by not fully resting.
    Luckily the physio agreed that it was probably just a bit of overloading, so I could keep running just seriously parred back to baseline. And then look at doing more strength training when it’s fully healed again.

Monday:

6 km with buggy @ 5:08/km

This was the run that triggered me going to physio as my hamstring was super tight (wouldn’t say sore – more “there”).

Tuesday/Wednesday:

Nothing – resting, and felt a bit head coldy

Thursday

5.1km with buggy @ 5:28/km
    Super duper easy. Leg felt 3/10 sore. (0 being the goal)

Friday

5.5km @ 4:59/km
    Same again. Leg about 3/10 again

Saturday

6.3km with buggy @4:55/km

Aiming to do this easy, but finished with a decent km to drag overall average pace below 5/km. Felt ok. Leg about 2/10

Sunday

6km with buggy @4:48/km

Same plan as yesterday, same result. Leg at 2/10

Week: 29.1km (24km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2059km

More low mileage as a I nurse my leg back a bit. The physio gave me 3 exercises (Leg bridge, single leg squats, calf raises) to do 2 to 3 times a week. So I just do one exercise per day, then everything gets done twice a week with a natural rotation. As I get stronger I’ll probably increase the frequency a tad.

Monday:

Rest

Tuesday:

6 km with buggy @ 5:04/km

Maintaining the easy pace. Leg feeling better, probably down to 1.5/10 on soreness scale! Did some strength work in evening watching GBBO.

Wednesday:

6km with buggy @5:05/km

More of the same. 2/10 on soreness.
    Short strength session in the evening.

Thursday

6km with buggy @5:05/km

Getting Déjà vu yet! More of the same. 2/10 on soreness.
    Strength session done in the morning, and moving along nicely there. My tolerable reps number is edging up. Although I amn’t chasing that in any way.

Friday

6km @ 4:52/km

Out on my own for this one before first light. What a gorgeous morning, crisp as you like and still as ever. Lovely crunch off the grass too.
    Hardly felt my leg – down to 1/10 which contributed to my good mood!

Saturday

9.2km with buggy @4:49/km

Decided to “go long” as things seem to be settling down with the glute/hamstrings. Felt good, and nice to paint some random estates. Leg still about 1/10

Sunday

6.2km with buggy @4:50/km

Usually get out 1st thing at the weekends, but E didn’t move til 9 so I decided to enjoy a lie-in instead. But luckily kind of had 30 mins to spare later in day so had a nice spin around the block with E. At the moment, all the chat is about the moon, the stars, sun and rainbows. And how the clouds keep moving in front…lol

Leg at 1/10

Week: 39.9km (33km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2098km

Continuing “the keep it ticking plan” and return from injury protocol. It’s definitely still improving but it is not gone, so won’t be doing any sessions really. Still lots of easy running. Still tho, got out everyday this week, and nice mix of with/without buggy.

Monday:

5.4km with buggy @ 4:52/km

Post work spin, nice evening!

Tuesday:

7.0km with buggy @ 5:07/km

Similar to yesterday, pace was a bit slower because of road crossing, and bumping into my sister outside the shops!

Wednesday:

6km @4:52/km

Out early on my own this morning, nice to listen to Sonia on Irishman Abroad. Interesting chat, if nothing ground breaking.

Still about 1/10 on soreness.

Thursday

7km with buggy @5:10/km

Was pretty cold, so wrapped E up like Joey from Friends and off we went. My dad needed a jump start on the car so brought jump leads down and ran back. A fairly crisp evening! Little to no soreness in my leg.

Friday

7.1km @ 4:42/km

Weather was a bit miserable so finished work a bit early and did these miles while E finished her nap then we all made Christmas pudding together when I got home. Felt grand.

Saturday

10km with buggy @ 4:49/km

Starting to increase “long” from last week. Leg didn’t feel bad, apart from hamstring tightness toward the end

Sunday

7.5km @4:53/km

Completed my 7 day running week on my own for this one. Out at 8am and what a gorgeous morning. Was a tad slippy so took it easy but so crisp and so clear. Was a very nice run this one.

Leg still “there” at 1/10

Week: 50.3km (29km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2148km

Had a cheeky run streak going, but otherwise another week of keeping it handy. I’m not doing my strength stuff daily anymore, as the acuteness of the injury fades, but need to not let them go completely.

Monday:

7km with buggy @ 5:05/km

Cold one, E had her hot pack unicorn to entertain her on this one! From a running perspective, incorporate a nice steep hill over the first 2 or 3k and had no ill effects which was great.

Tuesday:

6.3km with buggy @ 4:58/km

Nothing interesting here except for throwing in a “1 x 400” at the end (again to feel legs) and got no feedback so I’m starting to think it’s coming right.

Wednesday:

7km @4:47/km

Took inspiration of ReeRee and went on a nice route I hadn’t done in a while. Again a few hills so no ill effects.

Thursday

7km with buggy @5:08/km

First wet one in a while! Acting as delivery team to my parents, dropped down some stuff. Perfect distance to my parents, there and back is 7km. And allows a cheeky hello too!

Friday

6.5km with buggy @ 4:54/km

Nothing strange here. Apart from huge lighting rigs and closed roads in a random estate I was running through!

Saturday

15km with buggy @ 5:11/km

Actually was looking forward to this one. Was supposed to be a not parkrun with ReeRee, but it got expanded the day before to a long run together. Fresh morning, but really enjoyed. I fear it was slightly more my pace than ReeRee’s. (at least she is fitter than me!) The hour flew by (for me) though.

Sunday

A rest day. Streak broken on 19 days, which isn’t huge by other peoples standards, but is a record for me!

Week: 48.9km (41.9km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2197km

After Sunday’s rest day, I was feeling pretty fresh this week. Amazing the difference a rest day can make.

Monday:

8.6km with buggy @ 4:56/km

Had heard from a few places about the fairy lights in Marlay, so took E for a spin to look at them before dinner. Pretty nice, it’s about a km through the woods and was busy with families out for a walk. E was convinced that Marlay house was a “castle” – I wasn’t going to shatter her dreams. haha

Tuesday:

8km @ 4:31/km

Last week I’d been testing my legs here and there, and Saturday was my longest run in a while. Combined with the rest day on Sunday, I was feeling like I could try a “fast” session. So did a made-up-by-me session of:

5 x 400m off 60seconds. Splits were: 85, 81, 84, 84, 84.

I wasn’t targeting anything other than working hard to see how my legs reacted, and the path was pretty dark at points so feel somewhat satisfied at those. It’s in line with what I was doing pre-“injury”. All be it only 5 reps instead of 8 or more.

Going to be honest, it felt good to really sweat again.

Wednesday:

7km with buggy @5:08 /km

Quick spin down to parents house and back. Had added some Christmas lights to the buggy which E loved turning on and off and on and off and on…..etc
    My glute was a little sore after Tuesday though, so going to have to mind that.

Thursday

6km @4:59/km

Looking at Strava, no memory of this one. Just a morning jaunt with a podcast I think!

Friday

5.3km @ 4:56/km

I actually hadn’t planned a run; but came down from work and wife suggested I go for a quick 5km to wash work off me..haha. Really glad she did, my headspace was night and day when I got home again.

Saturday

14km with buggy @ 4:51/km

Lovely weather early doors for this one, it was getting cold as we got to the end though. Went colouring in some random estate in Cabinteely, turns out each cul de sac was a steep hill, so going in and out of each was a very solid hill rep. No harm done!

Oh and E passed the 1000 miles of buggy running mark. Momentous occasion. hahaha

Sunday

6.15km with buggy @ 4:47/km

A run of 2 halves really, one to the playground, one home from the playground. Lovely crisp morning for it. (if a bit muddy in places!)
    Glute pain is subsiding, so probably ok to do another session this week. Fingers crossed.

Week: 55.5km (36.5km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2253km

Christmas week, was always going to be a do as I feel week
    Monday:

Rest Day

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday:

3 morning runs that were basically identical. About 6km at about 4:45/km. And on each I threw in somewhere between 400 and a km of effort at the end to get the heart rate up.

It was a busy week, so best I could do! Really enjoyed it as a baseload leg stretcher though!

Friday

Christmas Day – Santa brought me a Garmin HRM – Run, so was dying to try it out. I’m a narcissistic runner who loves data, so lots more potential data on me is pretty exciting. haha

13km with buggy @ 4:36/km

Had floated this to my wife as the only way to get E to have a nap on the big day, so ran from our house to my mother in laws (where we were having dinner). E fell asleep as planned (only about the 3rd run ever!) and I enjoyed the delights of cheery Christmas day running. Nice to earn my turkey.

The pace looks fast-ish but the reality is that the route is net downhill so was quite relaxed really.

The other data gathered (Vertical oscillation, ground contact balance etc.) looks fascinating, but probably useless :confused::rolleyes:. I can’t wait to dig into it after gathering a few weeks data to play with...

Saturday

7km @ 4:58/km

Stayed in Grandmas, so got to try out the hills of Killiney this morning. They were hard work, but in a nice way. Also bumped into (and ran with briefly) an old school friend. So a real Christmas spirit kind of run

Sunday

7km @ 4:40/km

Ran back to Grandma’s from a playground visit for this one, painting some random estates in the shankill/Killiney area.

Was listening to a podcast on the Christmas truce in 1914 – fascinating stuff and just mad to think about.

Week: 46.3km (13km with the buggy)
    YTD: 2299km

crisco10 wrote:
    The other data gathered (Vertical oscillation, ground contact balance etc.) looks fascinating, but probably useless . I can’t wait to dig into it after gathering a few weeks data to play with...

SUCH a nerd :p

Guilty!

Santa also brought a tshirt that said ‘ (square root)-4. = 2 ; it’s all fun and games until someone loses an i’

I love it. :eek:

• Advertisement

Later than usual getting to my log. Holiday season in full flow here! Enjoying a (well earned) break from work until the 11th.

Monday:

9km @ 4:50/km

I had a game of pitch and putt arranged in stepaside with a few friends. So jogged up and home after with clubs in hand and about 3 layers stuffed in my back pack. Was an artic cold day and wet, so was frozen frigid on the way home.

My golf was pretty average too (14 over for 18), but my playing partner did have a hole in one. Being honest, enjoyed the chat and catch up more than the golf!

Tuesday:

Holidays, more rest days!

Wednesday:

Another rest. Love holidays. lol

Although I was working a bit, had a deal to close in 2020 which we managed to get across the line. phew, pressure was on there. (nothing compared to a 5k boards TT though!)

Thursday

6km with buggy @4:59/km

Last run of 2020. Woke up to snow lightly falling from sky. So had a dilemma, leave the buggy at home cos it was snowing or bring E out in the snow for her first experience! Went for the latter. It was a very light dusting, but E thought it was “very pretty”. I had never considered the little but consistent rolling resistance provided by snow dust on the ground! Definitely added to the required effort.

Friday

Had planned to get up and run through the sunrise at 8.40am….see the sun rise on a new year etc.

BUT E was a nightmare and up loads during the night, so meant the day was more about surviving than enjoying a run.

Saturday

6.5km @ 4:57/km

A very gentle solo run around the icey paths of dundrum/Ballinteer. Spent most of run on verges or the road, until the end when I relaxed on the last corner before home and then just snotted myself on some black ice. A nasty little gash on my knee as a reward and a pretty bruised wrist (that doesn’t even hurt strangely enough). Got lots of sympathy from the ladies when I got home, especially when I realised I also stepped in dog sh!te.

Sunday

7km with buggy @ 4:55/km

An afternoon, pre dinner wander. Nice to be out and I had no lingering pain from fall yesterday thank god. Threw in a 600m effort on my new favourite path in St Olaf’s GAA club to polish it off.

Week: 28.6km (13km with the buggy)

2020 Totals:

271 Active Days (max streak 19)
    185 hours
    2314km in total
    1266km with the buggy.
    2 naps for E in the buggy in the entire year

crisco10 wrote: »
    Threw in a 600m effort on my new favourite path in St Olaf’s GAA club to polish it off.

I have ran through it a couple of times since it opened- brilliant surface..is the loop actually 600 metres?

I have ran through it a couple of times since it opened- brilliant surface..is the loop actually 600 metres?

No. I just have it in my head as about that. It's lovely path alright. It has a slight for issue for me in that the playground is full view for half a lap

crisco10 wrote:
    2 naps for E in the buggy in the entire year

Ha !

Still enjoying my holidays this week, so the focus was more about relaxing and spending time with family. Still managed a reasonable amount of running, but much like a few others here, I’m somewhat lacking in goals for 2021 that require specific training.

Monday:

9km with buggy @ 4:53/km

Ran to Marlay and then decided that I would do a comfortable hard 1km around the concert field for the craic. The buggy had the cover half on, which is a bit of a sail so certainly felt the drag and completed in 3:45. I wasn’t nasty tired when the watch beeped. I.e. I kept running as opposed to needing to stop etc. Nice to stretch legs.

Tuesday:

7km with @4:33/km

Had E in the buggy, wrapped up and good to go (a process which takes 10 minutes) and realised the buggy had a puncture! Raging.

My good wife still allowed me to go out the door while I was dressed for it. So took the opportunity to wander up to Fernhill to see the new track there. At moment it’s a tar surface (not sure if that’s permanent?). It’s also just a circle as opposed to an oval.

It’s only 2 lanes wide and has limited verges so sessions would be a struggle if it were busy with other pedestrian traffic. Which I suspect it will be, especially at the kids monkey bars which are right beside the path. A lovely facility to have, and I can imagine me heading up there for early sessions when the mornings get brighter/warmer. I did of course do a cheeky ‘hard’ lap to check the distance, 400m in about 75 seconds.

Wednesday:

7km @ 4:49/km

An early morning jaunt on my own. Nothing strange other than the amazing Christmas lights on the house near Deer Park in Mount Merrion.

Thursday

7km @ 4:36/km

More aimless running but enjoyable on another lovely bright day. The snow was passing since I went out at 11am.

Friday

6km @ 5:06/km

Pretty icey out there, so I was ultra conservative and stayed local. Down to the pitches at Naomh Olafs for however many laps were required to get me a light run out. Absolutely freezing so glad to just get this one in.

Saturday

15km @ 4:48/km

Asked for a special pass to go for a long run in middle of day (when it was least cold!). Gorgeous day for it. My target was to experiment with Heart Rate now that I have a shiney new chest strap (I’ve been long suspicious of the wrist based HR). Just keep it in the mid-140s was the goal.

Surprised at the pace to be honest, thought it would be closer to 5min/km. Really enjoyed it and actually felt a little tired later in the day which was a nice feeling.

Week: 51.5km (9km with the buggy)
    YTD: 65.1km

Regarding Fernhill, they are planning to put the rubber crumb on top of the tarmac. Next time ur up, you may notice the couple of inches space left for it to level it off with the grass.
    I believe with covid etc, time constraints cost them to finish it all off in time. They are due to do this in early spring but id imagine as its not essential that time line will slip too.

Back to work this week, ugh. So just keeping it going. It’s really hard to be motivated to keep a shape in January. I like getting out but specific sessions are a sea of good intentions abandoned.

Monday:

7km with buggy @ 5:09/km

Evening run with E, a damp enough evening but went up toward ballyogan to paint some estates, pretty slow pace. Assuming it’s because of the wind and hills.

Tuesday:

7km with @4:47/km

Out early on my own, based on the January challenge, I was just going to aim to run at 4:50 without looking at watch at all. Was pretty happy how close I got. The challenge is that I generally start slowly and accelerate through most of my runs.

Fun challenge though, will try to do the 60 minute edition before the end of the month.

Wednesday:

6km @ 4:57/km

An early morning wander on my own. Encountered a dog walker who was obliviously walking straight down the middle of the path with an extendable dog lead swinging around like a radar ping.

Thursday

7km with buggy @ 4:57/km

Nice evening run. The first in a while where the sky was a hint of blue/navy instead of jet black. Spring is coming! Left hamstring a little tight on this one.

Friday

Rest day. Had planned to go out in the morning, but tbh I just didn’t.
    Saturday

19km with buggy @ 5:06/km

Had arranged to run with a friend who is a pandemic runner and happy with a pace of ~5/km for a longer run. Ran to Marlay and met him for 3 laps. Really enjoyed the catch up and real life interaction. Was just about to start running home from Marlay and noticed E missing one of her gloves, so had to retrace our steps to find (adding an extra ~3km). Found the offending article and ran home at a bit of a clip for our brunch date with Mum!

The wind was strong enough so pace accelerated quite naturally on last 3km but legs were tired. Longest I’ve run since October I think.

Sunday

5km @ 4:50/km

Out on my own early and easy. Really just an excuse to try out the Asics Novablast that arrived on Saturday. Interesting shoe, almost like riding a bike. At slow speeds they feel precipitous but get a lot steadier when you are up to speed. Lots of cushioning with a bit of spring, think they will be a fine shoe.

Also didn't feel any afters from the effort on Saturday.

Week: 51.5km (34km with the buggy)
    YTD: 116km

Last week I said “Back to work this week, ugh. So just keeping it going. It’s really hard to be motivated to keep a shape in January. I like getting out but specific sessions are a sea of good intentions abandoned.”
    In the same way January seems like the month that goes on forever, so does this feeling!

Monday:

9km with buggy @ 4:42/km

Evening run with E, I fancied a more challenging leg stretcher. So started with a fairly hilly climb to get to the back of Marlay. Then a somewhat impromptu mile TT/Hard Effort on the DBR loop. Just aimed for 6min/mile pace, and came in at 6:05 or so.
    Given I’ve never run a hard mile with the buggy, I think this was a buggy miler PB. 😊

Tuesday:

7km with buggy @4:43/km

Wet evening so got out and did a few loops in the area before dinner. Enjoyably wet in a way!

Wednesday:

7km @ 4:58/km

Out early before work, had thought I was going to do 5km when I left, but ended up adding a few twists and turns to drag it up to 7km. Was just really enjoying the run and listening to Strong Songs podcast (David Bowie on this week’s episode).

Thursday

7.26km @ 4:49/km

Another early morning run, more podcasts and very pleasurable altogether. Sort of felt a slight niggle in Right knee (maybe ITB). Will just up the stretching etc and see if it resolves.

I did feel crazy tired on Thursday night though, not sure why. Have been sleeping well etc.

Friday

Rest day.

Saturday

13km with buggy @ 4:30/km [RESULT: 58:37]

Doing the January challenge with the buggy. I’m not sure if this was the spirit of the challenge, but I had mapped out 3 different routes based on 3 pace options (5/km, 4:45/km and 4:30/km). The plan being that I would run at the pace that came and try to judge what that pace was and match the route accordingly.

Fairly early on, I knew I was certainly going at a bit more a clip than 5/km. I remember a kicking coach telling me years ago that you will always kick it further at the start of a game as the adrenaline rush is there. The “rush” of a challenge was definitely at play. So I decided I was running the 4:30/km paced route (13km)..Toward the end I reckoned I had lost some time on a few uphills so threw in a final 500m acceleration to make up some lost time. I shouldn’t have, I came in at 58:37 (moving time). Obviously delighted with the closeness, but it was a real headf$ck of a challenge, I really enjoy looking at my watch and playing games with the various maths as I run. So to not be allowed do so was strange.

Sunday

Had planned to go for a run as usual, but my wife made a special request that I didn’t. She’s pretty accommodating generally so I defo owed her one to not go for a change. Had a lovely morning up Kilmashogue in the snow instead.

Week: 43.5km (29km with the buggy)
    YTD: 160km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Don't worry the February Challenge will make up for it ;)

6:05 mile pushing a buggy :eek:

• Advertisement

This week was supposed to be the end of January blues, but the upside of payday was mitigated by extended lockdown.

Monday:

6.6km with buggy @ 4:51/km

Super icey out on the paths, so I headed down to Olafs and did laps of the tar path there. It was only icey for one patch which I just navigated carefully on each lap. Was actually a lovely evening out though.

Tuesday:

7.4km with buggy @4:56/km

Down the hill to Clonskeagh to paint a random estate, then back the hill home. E was loving going up and down grass verges so lots of bumps!

Wednesday:

13.3km @ 4:30/km RESULT: 59:52

January Challenge: Take 2.

Up early on my own for this, had done some homework looking at the route from last day. My goal was to run at same effort as I had with the buggy on Saturday, which would probably add a take a few seconds per km. Then at each km marker (which I had memorised), I made an estimate if I was +- 4:35/km pace and if so by how much. Then just kept a running total. The intention being I would tweak my finish point at ~13km. By the end, I reckoned I was about 90 seconds ahead of target, so added about a 3rd of a km.

My method worked it appears and very happy with the result. Had also worked up a nice sweat over the hour. From a pace perspective, I’d say I was in z3 most of the time which is a bit junk miley pace wise, but no harm!

Really enjoyed this challenge, literally got me out of bed this morning.

Thursday

7.00km with buggy @ 4:53/km

Standard evening run, did a bit of painting of areas.

I did introduce the E to the treasure hunt game though. Rules are simple, I give her a list of things to keep looking for when we are out, and when she has seen them all, she gets some music put on. So today she had to “find” a dog, a crane and a bus. And when she saw the last one (a bus), she shouted at me for Tangled.

Hoping this game will keep her entertained for a while!

Friday

Rest day.

Saturday

6.38km with buggy @4:52/km

Had planned about a 15km for this one, but after 4 or 5km I pulled the pin and turned home. The combination of wind, rain and cold was just miserable. I’d also stupidly worn the wrong coat and no gloves. By the time I got home, my hands were like spatulas. I couldn’t even get the keys out the buggy, and then had to put up with horrendous pain as my hands thawed out for the next half hour.

Sunday

Still traumatised by yesterday. No running. My ITB is a little niggly still, so no harm for another rest day either.

Week: 41km (28km with the buggy)
    YTD: 201km

Advertisement