Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Seat Arona owners out there? Noisy front suspension

• 11-12-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife bought one in early August this year, and within 5k km front suspension top mounts had to be replaced to stop noisy front suspension. It now has 6.5k km on the car and the same noises are back again!

Has anyone else had this issue and got a full time resolution to it? Car is under 3 year warranty but surely at such low mileage suspension parts should not be wearing out?

She drives on normal A roads to and from work so not battering the car in any way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

When doesthe noise appear?
    When stopped while turning the steering left to right to left etc?

Or when driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

vectra wrote: »
    When doesthe noise appear?
    When stopped while turning the steering left to right to left etc?

Or when driving?

When driving at lower speeds, low pitch squeaking, when she bought it to main dealer they said they had a few with same noise and replaced the top mounts

techie wrote: »
    When driving at lower speeds, low pitch squeaking, when she bought it to main dealer they said they had a few with same noise and replaced the top mounts

Was only wondering as I have heard of some Ateca owners having a similar issue which I think was resolved by replacing the anti roll bar bushes.

vectra wrote: »
    Was only wondering as I have heard of some Ateca owners having a similar issue which I think was resolved by replacing the anti roll bar bushes.

Thanks for that, they are discussing it with Technician and ringing back Monday.

Thanks for that, they are discussing it with Technician and ringing back Monday.
    Ask them to check that out anyway.
    I think it is more a creaking noise the Ateca made.
    I have an Ateca myself but thankfully I don't have that issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

I had a MK7 Golf before, and I had a creaking from front of car which was driving me mad. Turned out to be the wishbone bushings. Greased them and it was sorted. Might be worth checking out as the Arona is also MQB.

Thanks for all the replies, will see what Garage come up with and report back next week, when its hopefully sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Changing the top mounts made the noise go away for a while though?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Changing the top mounts made the noise go away for a while though?

Yes it did, would they be at fault again, as both sides were done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think it's the colder weather, I've had various Skoda's over the years and they've all creaked like a galley ship for the winter months, couldn't be arsed going out in the cold and spraying silicone over bushes. I just turn up the radio:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

From what I've seen in multiple forums about MQB based vehicles, they all suffer from this issue and most of the time it's just the bushes need greasing. Most report the noise happening in colder weather also, so must be the type of bushes fitted at the factory dont like the cold all that much and have a little groan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Mainly Quiet, But ....

Just to update this, the garage took the car in just before Christmas and replaced more parts, unfortunately my wife collected it and got told there is a whole new front on it (her words :) )

Since then the car has not been making any suspension noises and is back to the quiet ride, for how long though, who knows?

Another update on this, same noise is back now again, car now booked into the garage for the 3rd time in less than 6 months for a new car with same issue.

Anyone know where I stand with this, as this is getting painful, either car is a lemon or the garage don't know how to resolve it?

Another update on this, same noise is back now again, car now booked into the garage for the 3rd time in less than 6 months for a new car with same issue.

Anyone know where I stand with this, as this is getting painful, either car is a lemon or the garage don't know how to resolve it?

You'll just have to live with it. It will disappear as, when, if the temperatures rise. If it annoys herself that much, buy a can of silicone spray used for windows etc and earn a few brownie points getting dirty, easiest solution in the end. I drove myself nuts chasing creaks and groans in my first mk1 Octavia, changed perfectly good top mounts, wishbone bushing etc and declared victory until the following October...yep back to square one!!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You'll just have to live with it. It will disappear as, when, if the temperatures rise. If it annoys herself that much, buy a can of silicone spray used for windows etc and earn a few brownie points getting dirty, easiest solution in the end. I drove myself nuts chasing creaks and groans in my first mk1 Octavia, changed perfectly good top mounts, wishbone bushing etc and declared victory until the following October...yep back to square one!!

Seriously, I have a 2015 car with a lot more mileage, and it is quieter than this?

Seriously, I have a 2015 car with a lot more mileage, and it is quieter than this?

Just spray it with silicone spray if it annoys you that much. You could always consider poly bushing it but they transmit a lot more road noise and there will be warranty implications. What 2015 car do you have?

Just spray it with silicone spray if it annoys you that much. You could always consider poly bushing it but they transmit a lot more road noise and there will be warranty implications. What 2015 car do you have?

I have an I30 Diesel Estate, totally different I know, but heavier and no suspension noises.

My original question was to see if any other owners of an Arona have the same issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

The arona uses MQB platform, like the ibiza, polo etc. All have reported groaning issues and many get tracked down to the bushings and temperature.

Look up any of the makes above (including holfs and similar if you wish) and suspension groans on youtube/google. Colder weather means groans and noises happen, warmer and it disappears. I admit its a crappy oversight when building the car in the first place but all makes and models have their niggles.

Unless you want to replace the bushings to a different compound i think its something you have to live with. I have experienced this in an ibiza and in VW products

I have an I30 Diesel Estate, totally different I know, but heavier and no suspension noises.

My original question was to see if any other owners of an Arona have the same issues?

Why are you getting snippy about it? The answer in simple terms is yes, all vehicles sharing that platform whether it's a toy jeep or a lowly hatchback suffer from creaky bushes in cold weather, no amount of stomping your foot in the dealers will change that unless as I said earlier you get it poly bushed, that won't be cheap.

• Advertisement

Why are you getting snippy about it? The answer in simple terms is yes, all vehicles sharing that platform whether it's a toy jeep or a lowly hatchback suffer from creaky bushes in cold weather, no amount of stomping your foot in the dealers will change that unless as I said earlier you get it poly bushed, that won't be cheap.

Sorry was not intended to be snippy, just wanted to see if any Arona drivers had the same experience, as there are a lot of them on the roads.

Will put it down to climate for now, and see if it improves over the summer.

Sorry was not intended to be snippy, just wanted to see if any Arona drivers had the same experience, as there are a lot of them on the roads.

Will put it down to climate for now, and see if it improves over the summer.

It will, like the dark evenings just when you're after forgetting what they're like it'll be back to haunt you:D. Honestly the spray makes a big difference and might stop you getting autumn earache;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Apologies for resurrectng an old thread but am considering buying an Arona and am wondering if these issues have been fixed by the manufacturer, or if it's down to owner DIY to keep atop of it? This issue apart, how would you rate the Arona? An considering a 1.0 TSI 115bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I wouldn't bet on it. Front suspension creaks are endemic in MQB platforms, and have been for years, no idea how VAG haven't figured it out. It's usually down to lower wishbone bushes but can be anti roll bar bushes to. Spraying them with a lubricant will get rid of it for awhile but they will come back.

Advertisement