Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harrison Ford to return as Indiana Jones (again)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

At 78, I presume the plot will be about a professor emeritus dealing with university politics as Indy tries to rationalise the number of new international archaeology programmes the university management team is trying to foist on his department.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Indiana Jones and the Lost Memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Never say never again, again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

As long as there is no sight of Shia LeBeouf I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I will believe it when I see a trailer. Rather see a sequel to air force one now that the USA is in the habit of electing men in their 70s to the highest office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At 78, I just can't see the action/adventure bit being as good. I mean, it has to be set in the late 70s/early 80s, which means the bad guys are the Russians.

It didn't really work in KOTCS, you just can't beat the Nazis.

If they insist on using Ford, I really think they would be better off with a new adventurer set in the same universe, and Ford doing a respectable handover. The crap with Shia LeBeouf didn't work.

But I think the real charm in Indy was always the fact that it was set in the 30s & 40s. It had a much more "wild west" feel to it. Chartering small flights to random countries, no border controls, no CCTV or drones or mobile phones. Doing some "young" Indy movies would be more appealing IMO. Take him from his mid-late-20s; i.e. not so young that he looks like a child, and not so old that the action is unbelievable. Throw in a load of Nazis and bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

seamus wrote: »
    Doing some "young" Indy movies would be more appealing IMO. Take him from his mid-late-20s; i.e. not so young that he looks like a child, and not so old that the action is unbelievable. Throw in a load of Nazis and bob's your uncle.

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles tv show was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

As long as they don't go the Irishman routs, as' that' fight scene was horrific.
    Or it will be like that clip from the Simsons for Death Wish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He belongs in a museum!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Disney right? has to mean a teenage grand daughter will be poofed into existence, let see she will have 3 phd's in areas that will feature in the plot and at some stage she will bypass a compressor while she winks at the camera and Indie looks on bemused. this stuff writes itself :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    At 78, I presume the plot will be about a professor emeritus dealing with university politics as Indy tries to rationalise the number of new international archaeology programmes the university management team is trying to foist on his department.

Still better than Skull!

silverharp wrote: »
    Disney right? has to mean a teenage grand daughter will be poofed into existence, let see she will have 3 phd's in areas that will feature in the plot and at some stage she will bypass a compressor while she winks at the camera and Indie looks on bemused. this stuff writes itself :pac:

And in the course of the movie, she will transition to a male. Indy will be upset and angry at first, but will soon come to realise that he was being mean and bigoted, and he will realise that she is being herself. Indy will sing a heartfelt duet with his son, and his new partner, a mixed-race genderqueer intersectionalist muslim, which will nicely set up the next film in the series:
    Non Geographically-Specific Ze/Zee and The Destruction of The Patriachy.

RandRuns wrote: »
    And in the course of the movie, she will transition to a male. Indy will be upset and angry at first, but will soon come to realise that he was being mean and bigoted, and he will realise that she is being herself. Indy will sing a heartfelt duet with his son, and his new partner, a mixed-race genderqueer intersectionalist muslim, which will nicely set up the next film in the series:
    Non Geographically-Specific Ze/Zee and The Destruction of The Patriachy.

You've seen the trailer for The Watch haven't you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Jaysus, people now getting wound up by scenarios they've invented themselves :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mr Crispy wrote: »

If there's nothing to trigger them, they'll have to invent it themselves I suppose. I'd just not go and see the film if I didn't like the look of it.

On that note, I'm not sure how much longer the wheeling out of old men to make sequels to long dead franchises is going to be viable for. If Ford is nearly 80 then, why? Why not go for a new IP set between the wars or something like that? It's always some aul fella clearly past it or a bit of backstory nobody asked for like the Solo prequel film.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Indiana Jones and The Incontinence of Old Age

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

He reprised roles in star wars and blade runner recently and they were both good movies. Still though. Crystal skull was so dodgy you'd worried about them doing another.

blue note wrote: »
    He reprised roles in star wars and blade runner recently and they were both good movies. Still though. Crystal skull was so dodgy you'd worried about them doing another.

As side characters with a lot less stuntwork than an Indiana Jones film. Both titles had new characters who were the main focus and would have worked no less well without Ford.

Crystal Skull was the first Indiana Jones film I saw. I still remember the Cineworld staff giving me pitying looks when my friends told them.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Christ, the movie doesn't even exist and the thread is already stinking of Woke Whingers; ya know, maybe, just maybe it's an unhealthy and slightly tedious obsession if without any stimulus you get into a lather. Office Bore territory really.

And besides: we HAVE a female Indiana Jones, she's called Lara Croft :rolleyes: :pac:

Ahem. Anyway, much easier target to whinge about the idea of an Indy 5. That is to say mind you, I don't see it happening. Ford's too old, and too ornery about his old work that I'd believe he would return to the role. Especially a distinctly action oriented one; half the POINT of the series is to put Indy through the wringer. Hard to do that when your star could be hobbled by a flight of stairs

Maybe this is just another public fishing exhibition by Disney: try to get a sense of the public appetite. They're clearly on a buzz to resurrect as many old IPs in their stable, so presumably, Indiana Jones was a bit of an unknown quantity for them.

• Advertisement

Mr Crispy wrote: »

I'm just pitching for the screenwriting gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Christ, the movie doesn't even exist and the thread is already stinking of Woke Whingers; ya know, maybe, just maybe it's an unhealthy and slightly tedious obsession if without any stimulus you get into a lather. Office Bore territory really.

And besides: we HAVE a female Indiana Jones, she's called Lara Croft :rolleyes: :pac:

Ahem. Anyway, much easier target to whinge about the idea of an Indy 5. That is to say mind you, I don't see it happening. Ford's too old, and too ornery about his old work that I'd believe he would return to the role. Especially a distinctly action oriented one; half the POINT of the series is to put Indy through the wringer. Hard to do that when your star could be hobbled by a flight of stairs

Maybe this is just another public fishing exhibition by Disney: try to get a sense of the public appetite. They're clearly on a buzz to resurrect as many old IPs in their stable, so presumably, Indiana Jones was a bit of an unknown quantity for them.

maybe you need to adjust your sense of humor instead of calling me a whinger, is it verboten to poke fun at large corporates?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Indiana Jones, in space

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On that note, I'm not sure how much longer the wheeling out of old men to make sequels to long dead franchises is going to be viable for. If Ford is nearly 80 then, why? Why not go for a new IP set between the wars or something like that? It's always some aul fella clearly past it or a bit of backstory nobody asked for like the Solo prequel film.
    This is my concern. A bit like Arnie and the Terminator series, he's happy to take the van full of cash from the movie producers regardless of whether it damages the franchise.

I guess from Ford's perspective the Indy movies "made" him, but they can hardly be considered artistic masterpieces. He might just consider them a job he did once and will happily take money for more of them.

I'm more interested in the Uncharted movie coming up tbh. Basically the same premise as Indy, but a different universe and younger actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It’s not the age honey, it’s the mileage. Sorry but it is the age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    maybe you need to adjust your sense of humor instead of calling me a whinger, is it verboten to poke fun at large corporates?

Surely jokes need to be funny first? ;) It wasn't totally aimed at you, but the same joke told at every conceivable point doesn't get funnier on the 1000th telling. Can't click into a thread on boards these days without some paranoid, tedious nonsense about woke if there's even a sniff.

And as said, Indy already got gender-swapped so your joke's about 20 years stale ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indian Jones is his own grandpa.

pixelburp wrote: »

Hardly man, he made a joke which was pretty funny, nobody was whinging about anything. What is tedious is the patronising high wokeness when anyone mentions the woke trend of cinema and film that is thrust in everyones faces these days. That is a recurring theme from you is it not? In the interest of balance I think you should release the trigger a bit!

That aside Werthers original should get in on the product placement for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Indiana Bones and the crypt of ages.....

nah, he's well past it at this stage, wouldn't be interested in watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Maybe it will be done in the style of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with Harrison Ford appearing as an old Dr Jones recounting his youthful exploits?

In reality it will be more akin to Robert De Niro's geriatric kicking of the shop keeper in the Irishman won't it?

Glazers Out!

Advertisement