Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Eirgrid warns of power outages: what are the EV owners options for cooking the turkey

• 11-12-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1211/1183760-eirgrid-warning-outages/

So you have between 24 and say 90 kW sitting in the driveway.
    What are the options to keep the lights on if there is a power cut?

Last time out I fed the web router from the 12v, with the car switched on, as I understand the 12v gets charged from the DC slab.
    EV was blocked in by another car so no real risk of easy theft.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This baby:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XZ6YMD6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_FU20FbK01BBP6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Leaf can handle 135A on the DC-DC which gives you over 1600W

A 1500W inverted should be doable with the heating off. You could power a small oven like below off of this :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088989TGG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BW20FbKRXA4J2

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pure ESB whinging as usual, salary those guys are paid and all you hear is blah blah blah, pathetic EV charging Infrastructure and stupid everyday restrictions on PV generation capabilies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

We discard a days worth of power each night, id get busy storing some of this in hydro/battery etc
    It seems crazy we put in wind (and feck all commercial solar) and turn off peat plants, with no provision for storage for when the wind drops off or the sun does not shine (much)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

And we keep on giving planning permission for massive power hungry data centers that contribute nothing to the economy after they're built.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

slave1 wrote: »
    Pure ESB whinging as usual, salary those guys are paid and all you hear is blah blah blah, pathetic EV charging Infrastructure and stupid everyday restrictions on PV generation capabilies

What whinging abs what salary are talking about It’s Eirgrid, not ESB.

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    We discard a days worth of power each night, id get busy storing some of this in hydro/battery etc
    It seems crazy we put in wind (and feck all commercial solar) and turn off peat plants, with no provision for storage for when the wind drops off or the sun does not shine (much)
    Commercial solar will be here in 2021

This baby:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XZ6YMD6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_FU20FbK01BBP6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Leaf can handle 135A on the DC-DC which gives you over 1600W

A 1500W inverted should be doable with the heating off. You could power a small oven like below off of this :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088989TGG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BW20FbKRXA4J2

Just be sure to isolate our house of the grid first

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Literally just came here to post this, but i see I wasnt even nearly first.

How can we be in this situation?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Literally just came here to post this, but i see I wasnt even nearly first.

How can we be in this situation?

It seems like they're being paranoid mostly, we'll only end up with power shortages if there's no wind and the UK isn't exporting for whatever reason, seems fairly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I have 3 options. Already tested during a power cut here in Lucan a few months ago. All were working.

1. I have a 600W pure sine wave inverter built into my car. Can't power a big oven for the turkey, but it can power most of the rest of the house. For a week or two :cool:
    2. I have two 59V battery packs for my eBikes. And a 48-60V 2kW inverter. Can't power the oven for more than maybe an hour or two, but it's a good backup
    3. My home attached power wall has an emergency socket wired to it that becomes active when the grid is down. It has a built in 3kW inverter. Plenty to power the oven, but my home attached battery is only about 4kWh, so enough only for a small turkey!

Ideally my car with its 85kWh battery would be connected to my power wall inverter via a smart two way charge point. I could not only cook my own turkey then, but all the turkeys for the rest of my street too :D

This technology is not available yet commercially, and if it takes a good while longer I will replace my car's 12V lead acid battery with a LiFePo4 one, that connects directly to my car's 2.5kW DC-DC converter. Will need a pure sine wave 5kW peak inverter to hook up to that too and they ain't cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Gas

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Gas

Banned

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

2 options I can think of:

A) 1 If you have new model leaf, put turkey in Turkey bag on engine.
    2 Drive at 150 Kmh til battery almost gone
    3 Plug into DC charger
    4 Try drive at high speed again
    5 Repeat until Turkey cooked

B)
    1 Sellotape turkey in very heavy cast iron base cooking tray
    2 Put car on jack, with whatever drive wheels lifted off ground
    3 Put turkey in tray upside down under wheel
    4 Put car in drive and let friction do the rest - a Tesla AWD could cook 4 turkeys this way

Gas

Maybe I'll dust off the charcoal barbecue, just in case

Actually, bbq turkey sounds worth freezing to death over, maybe I'll do that anyway :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Maybe I'll dust off the charcoal barbecue, just in case

Actually, bbq turkey sounds worth freezing to death over, maybe I'll do that anyway :)

I hear deep fried turkey is great. Usually cooked outside. And is done in about 5 minutes!

Stay away from frozen ones... They have the tendency to go up in a fireball

We really need to consider Nuclear, I'm sure Microsoft, Google and Amazon are impressed with this with the power their Data Centres consume it's high time we seriously start banning future investment by these companies for Data Centres on our Island, both for environmental concerns, that being, serious energy consumption and mega light pollution from these facilities It's wrong when you hear birds singing all night around Microsoft's Mega Data centre in Grangecastle business park as the sky is lit up for miles in a white glow as the yanks are so paranoid about security.

The minimal jobs they provide for the size of the facilities can't be used as a reason to allow them to keep expanding causing massive pollution as they have to use Diesel generators to keep the lights on in Dublin, and you can be sure Google, Amazon use Diesel too, the Public, Politicians and Environmentalists are not aware of the real massive Environmental issues caused by these Data Centres, Microsoft will claim 100% powered by renewable energy which is pure horse ****e as they use a significant amount of Diesel just to stop the lights going out in west Dublin + they have to use whatever is on the grid at the time.

Ireland gets a raw deal from these Mega Data Centres, massive pollution as they consume biblical amounts of energy 24x7x365 + far too few jobs provided considering the scale of the facilities and even less permanent as they hire contractors + the Tax they pay is minuscule and can be written off in a lot of cases or a huge proportion of it.

Seriously, how much more Data Centres should we allow and should we not ban future expansion for environmental reasons alone ? what's the point shutting down a Peat Plant if you need to build more fossil fuel stations to power these Data Centres ? the less power on the grid the more filthy Diesel they have to use to keep the power on in Dublin so why bother shutting down the peat plants putting more strain on the grid when more Diesel has to be used for generation by the Data Centres ?

Just one server rack alone can consume 12 Kw......

We really need to consider Nuclear, I'm sure Microsoft, Google and Amazon are impressed with this with the power their Data Centres consume it's high time we seriously start banning future investment by these companies for Data Centres on our Island, both for environmental concerns, that being, serious energy consumption and mega light pollution from these facilities It's wrong when you hear birds singing all night around Microsoft's Mega Data centre in Grangecastle business park as the sky is lit up for miles in a white glow as the yanks are so paranoid about security.

The minimal jobs they provide for the size of the facilities can't be used as a reason to allow them to keep expanding causing massive pollution as they have to use Diesel generators to keep the lights on in Dublin, and you can be sure Google, Amazon use Diesel too, the Public, Politicians and Environmentalists are not aware of the real massive Environmental issues caused by these Data Centres, Microsoft will claim 100% powered by renewable energy which is pure horse ****e as they use a significant amount of Diesel just to stop the lights going out in west Dublin + they have to use whatever is on the grid at the time.

Ireland gets a raw deal from these Mega Data Centres, massive pollution as they consume biblical amounts of energy 24x7x365 + far too few jobs provided considering the scale of the facilities and even less permanent as they hire contractors + the Tax they pay is minuscule and can be written off in a lot of cases or a huge proportion of it.

Seriously, how much more Data Centres should we allow and should we not ban future expansion for environmental reasons alone ? what's the point shutting down a Peat Plant if you need to build more fossil fuel stations to power these Data Centres ? the less power on the grid the more filthy Diesel they have to use to keep the power on in Dublin so why bother shutting down the peat plants putting more strain on the grid when more Diesel has to be used for generation by the Data Centres ?

Just one server rack alone can consume 12 Kw......

That’s some no some nonsense

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s some no some nonsense

No it isn't take these Data Centres off the grid and we won't have as much of a supply issue or pollution.

No it isn't take these Data Centres off the grid and we won't have as much of a supply issue or pollution.

Our issue us that plants are in maintenance or experiencing operational issues.

TSOs conduct capacity planning and demand forecasts reports. They use these to decide how much generation we need and what to allow into the SPOT market. The data centres aren’t a surprise to EirGrid. There demand is known and catered for , very easy as it’s pretty static.

If we took them off the grid , we’d reduce the amount of generators bidding into the market. And guess what we’d still have issues with maintenance that was not done earlier in the year because of Covid and operational issues with other stations.

It's also worth mentioning we have several gas power plants that aren't operating, some of which are because they weren't able to supply energy cheap enough to compete with other sources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

And guess what we’d still have issues with maintenance that was not done earlier in the year because of Covid

Say what now? We could have had power cuts last week, because of Covid?
    Is there nothing that can't be blamed on Covid?

Housing crisis = Covid.
    Homelessness = Covid.
    Sinn Fein = Covid.
    Crap weather = Covid.

:D.

Imagine contemplating going for an electric vehicle, only to be met with actual power cuts, or the threat of power cuts :eek:. Waking up to the possibility of a dead car, a car needed for your 100km commute to work.

Imagine too how EV owners will be blamed for these power cuts. I can see it now, all the lobby groups for oil companies & ICE car dealers, lampooning electric cars for causing power cuts, in the middle of winer, in the middle of a global pandemic :eek:.

I expect Toyota will commission a new add campaign - "don't be stranded with no way to get to work - get one of our self charging electric cars".

It's looking like we can't even keep the lights on - we're going backwards :(.

https://gript.ie/no-one-is-shouting-stop-as-the-greens-wreck-havoc-on-rural-communities/

That's better..........blame dopey & sleepy.........Eamon & co in the greens :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    Say what now? We could have had power cuts last week, because of Covid?
    Is there nothing that can't be blamed on Covid?

Housing crisis = Covid.
    Homelessness = Covid.
    Sinn Fein = Covid.
    Crap weather = Covid.

We haven’t had any power cuts.

But yes Covid was to blame for maintenance work being postponed and hence units not available last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

We haven’t had any power cuts.

I didn't say we had, there's a "could" in there :pac:.
    But yes Covid was to blame for maintenance work being postponed and hence units not available last week.

Covid wasn't. Unpreparedness &/or bad management was.
    It's critical infrastructure. Blaming Covid for this, almost 10 months in, is BS.

I say let's blame the greens :).

Sinn Fein = Covid.

So are we blaming sinn fein for covid, or covid for sinn fein? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

TSOs conduct capacity planning and demand forecasts reports. They use these to decide how much generation we need and what to allow into the SPOT market. The data centres aren’t a surprise to EirGrid. There demand is known and catered for , very easy as it’s pretty static.

If we took them off the grid , we’d reduce the amount of generators bidding into the market. And guess what we’d still have issues with maintenance that was not done earlier in the year because of Covid and operational issues with other stations.

in fairness it was only about 8 weeks that ESB Networks staff were stood down from Station maintenance.

a huge amount of the transmission network is 40-50 years old, but its a massive job to replace.

especially when theres so many wind farms being energised in last 2 years, which took priority (this is a good thing obv)

Covid wasn't. Unpreparedness &/or bad management was.
    It's critical infrastructure. Blaming Covid for this, almost 10 months in, is BS.

I'd say you're partly right, the peat power stations were closing down long before covid. And moneypoint was broken for a good chunk of 2018 which ironically caused our co2 emissions to drop

I think it's pretty funny how people go on about wind being unreliable and yet there seems to be plenty of thermal power stations either breaking down or being shut down because they aren't economical to run

Also, Eirgrid bases their estimation of capacity on the current number of generators. We have several power stations currently sitting idle due to not having generation contracts. Eirgrid could simply give out a few more contracts to bring the idle stations back to a ready state if things are really looking that dire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gas

Jup. Just cook the turkey in the campervan. Job done.

Honestly, power went for nearly 2k premises in the midlands today .. including my gaff. ETA for fix was 4 hours from when it went.

After an hour ... after I had turned the candles on in the kitchen/diningroom, so the other half and the little one at least had some light ... I was about to go outside, grab the camping trailer, bring it to the back of the house and fire up the 2.2kW LPG genset, that's in it .... but then the power came back :)

Either way .. said trailer has a 2.2kW genset ran on propane, an oven with rotisserie ran of propane, 2 ring cooker .. ran of propane and a propane outlet for a BBQ.

I think we'll be grand.

/M

Indeed, that's why the firing up of Diesel generators is pre-planned, nice dirty electricity generation. ;)

Indeed, that's why the firing up of Diesel generators is pre-planned, nice dirty electricity generation. ;)

Most have gas generators as back up as opposed to diesel. Standard practice for places to have back up.

They’d run a minimal amount of time. More so for maintenance than any other reason

You are being a bit dramatic now, how often do you think they run?

• Advertisement

Most have gas generators as back up as opposed to diesel. Standard practice for places to have back up.

They’d run a minimal amount of time. More so for maintenance than any other reason

You are being a bit dramatic now, how often do you think they run?

I've never seen a gas generator in a Data Centre.......not for backup.

I'm not being dramatic, I know they run them for maintenance which in itself consumes a lot of Diesel but depending on the load on the grid they are required to take part of production off grid at different times of the day, not every day.

But the facts remain that these mega facilities are massive polluters and massive consumers of energy.

Advertisement