Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Watts directing FF so I would imagine they will debut in Spider-Man 3.

Secret Invasion

Secret Invasion is a newly announced series heading to Disney+ that stars Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn as the Skrull Talos—characters who first met in Captain Marvel. The crossover comic event series showcases a faction of shape-shifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years.

Ironheart

Ironheart, the second of the newly announced series coming to Disney+, stars Dominique Thorne as Riri Williams, a genius inventor who creates the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man.

Armor Wars

Armor Wars, based on the classic Marvel comic series, comes to Disney+ starring Don Cheadle as James Rhodes aka War Machine who must face what happens when Tony Stark’s tech falls into the wrong hands.

Moon Knight

Moon Knight is a new series created for Disney+. Directed by Mohamed Diab, the action-adventure features a complex vigilante who suffers from dissociative identity disorder. The multiple identities who live inside him are distinct characters who appear against a backdrop of Egyptian iconography.

Kevin Feige confirmed T’Challa won't be recast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

John Watts directing FF so I would imagine they will debut in Spider-Man 3.

The most interesting thing announced, makes me wonder if we're talking about quite a young cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The most interesting thing announced, makes me wonder if we're talking about quite a young cast.

I'd rather they didnt go that direction, I think the MCU is plenty young at this point, especially with the new additions and likely X-Men coming soon.

It is probably more challenging to bring in an older cast narrative wise, explaining how this super genius hasn't popped up previously. It isn't insurmountable, they could have that Reed was working on the government side.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd rather they didnt go that direction, I think the MCU is plenty young at this point, especially with the new additions and likely X-Men coming soon.

It is probably more challenging to bring in an older cast narrative wise, explaining how this super genius hasn't popped up previously. It isn't insurmountable, they could have that Reed was working on the government side.

100% with you on that needed a seasoned looking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Tatiana Maslany confirmed as She-Hulk and she will be joined by Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk and Tim Roth as The Abomination

https://deadline.com/2020/12/she-hulk-mark-ruffalo-tim-roth-joining-tatiana-maslany-disney-series-1234654551/

Jaysus, I did not expect that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

WandaVision giving me Truman Show vibes... I like it now! Loki looks a bit weird, and no interested in F&WS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Well if they are introducing the multi verse what's to say they came from a different Earth where they had been active for numbers of years. They could also bring in Franklin and Valeria

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

At this stage, I'll take any FF movie that's good.

Saw one idea of setting it in the '60s but personally they don't need to be the first* superheroes of an MCU Marvel Age, just something happens that makes them celebrities in that world.

*Ignoring the ice Cap

• Advertisement

From the stuff I've followed over the last year or so, more than one director pitched their FF film to Marvel, so I would hope that hiring Watts means he came up with a doozie of an idea.....or, and more likely, that he was the ideal candidate to deliver an FF film made by committee.

That's a dig given it's obviously worked so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,726 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cassie Lang must be one of the first actors they didn't think of the future when casting. They're usually pretty good at casting people in small roles with the possibility of an expanded role later. Unless there's some reason for it.
    Is there any other named hero that was changed, apart from War machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Cassie Lang must be one of the first actors they didn't think of the future when casting. They're usually pretty good at casting people in small roles with the possibility of an expanded role later. Unless there's some reason for it.

Banner!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Fandral too

Just throwing it out there....Owen Wilson looks like Howard Stark in that trailer for Loki.

Are there that many even mid-tier name actors cast in very small roles where it wasn't pretty obvious beforehand that they'd play a much bigger part down the line? Normally first short appearances are just nods for movies that are well in the works and the actors signed up for.

Well if they are introducing the multi verse what's to say they came from a different Earth where they had been active for numbers of years. They could also bring in Franklin and Valeria

I really hope everything isn't going to be multiverse from now on. I was hoping it would be contained to Dr Strange 2 but now it basically confirmed it'll play at least a small part in Spider-man 3.

Any further it just becomes a convoluted mess that the MCU has done so well to avoid, that is without even going into an additional layer of plot armour and escape route for the heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,726 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Banner!
    Ah yeah. Forgot about that.
    Fandral too
    Yep, I think that was due to conflict with his role in Once Upon a Time
    Are there that many even mid-tier name actors cast in very small roles where it wasn't pretty obvious beforehand that they'd play a much bigger part down the line? Normally first short appearances are just nods for movies that are well in the works and the actors signed up for.

I would assume they had an idea they would use Cassie again at some point. I would be very surprised if they had planned for Paul Bettany to be Vision when they cast him as JARVIS

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ah yeah. Forgot about that.

Yep, I think that was due to conflict with his role in Once Upon a Time

I would assume they had an idea they would use Cassie again at some point. I would be very surprised if they had planned for Paul Bettany to be Vision when they cast him as JARVIS

He actually mentioned this in an interview with BBC Radio 1's Ali Plumb in 2018, while promoting Infinity War.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Have to say all those announcements has actually got me excited for some marvel content in 2021.

Odds are the movies will be delayed. Again.

So this is at least something.

• Advertisement

I think this is the first year since 2009, that there hasn't been any sort of Marvel content.

The 2022 films have rejigged release dates..

Was just thinking in regards Black Panther, if they don't want to go with Letitia Wright that the multiverse/time travel gives them an easy out. Could have a younger Tchaka or a future descendant play a role due to either anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I think this is the first year since 2009, that there hasn't been any sort of Marvel content.

The 2022 films have rejigged release dates..

After Endgame the extended break was perfect timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

I really hope everything isn't going to be multiverse from now on. I was hoping it would be contained to Dr Strange 2 but now it basically confirmed it'll play at least a small part in Spider-man 3.

Is this where the villains of Spidey franchises past are coming from? I thought it would be neat if Maguire and Garfield did a Spider-Verse thing with Holland but the animated movie happened.

The MCU does benefit from being a streamlined, greatest hits version of comic stories, would be a shame if they just overcomplicated it all.

kerplun k wrote: »
    After Endgame the extended break was perfect timing.

I suppose that's one benefit to a global pandemic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ridley wrote: »
    Is this where the villains of Spidey franchises past are coming from? I thought it would be neat if Maguire and Garfield did a Spider-Verse thing with Holland but the animated movie happened.

The MCU does benefit from being a streamlined, greatest hits version of comic stories, would be a shame if they just overcomplicated it all.

Personally, I can see the multiverse being used as an easy way to introduce more characters from older continuities and explaining why the X-Men exist now. I don't think we'll be spending too much time in them (much like it's usually a fairly big thing when you spend time away from the 616 in the comics). It's a big ask for the hardcore fans to have to explain why this random film doesn't effect the others to their not so obsessed friends in the cinema :D

I just have one thing nagging at me, with Molina coming back as Doc Ock, how will they explain his return? Cause he sacrificed himself at the end of the 2nd Raimi Spider-Man film, or will they just use Tony's snap in Endgame as a roundabout way of retconning him back into existence?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I just have one thing nagging at me, with Molina coming back as Doc Ock, how will they explain his return? Cause he sacrificed himself at the end of the 2nd Raimi Spider-Man film, or will they just use Tony's snap in Endgame as a roundabout way of retconning him back into existence?

If it's a multiverse, it might not be that exact Doc Ock.

Personally, I can see the multiverse being used as an easy way to introduce more characters from older continuities and explaining why the X-Men exist now. I don't think we'll be spending too much time in them (much like it's usually a fairly big thing when you spend time away from the 616 in the comics). It's a big ask for the hardcore fans to have to explain why this random film doesn't effect the others to their not so obsessed friends in the cinema :D

Problem is though it is incredibly hard to explain why those characters don't want to go back to their own universe.

Similar issue if they try to also have movies focused on other universes, say having an X-Men focused universe, then where are all the heroes and characters we know?

Multi-verse is interesting to touch on, and to potentially explain the Sony Spiderman movies of the past and future, but as a plot device to explain bigger things it seems lazy, confusing, and full of holes.

• Advertisement

Problem is though it is incredibly hard to explain why those characters don't want to go back to their own universe.

Similar issue if they try to also have movies focused on other universes, say having an X-Men focused universe, then where are all the heroes and characters we know?

Multi-verse is interesting to touch on, and to potentially explain the Sony Spiderman movies of the past and future, but as a plot device to explain bigger things it seems lazy, confusing, and full of holes.

People keep looking at these things linearly and not taking in mind the way the source material has worked. This wouldn't even be a small problem for your average Bendis level writer to deal with :D here's my z grade attempt based on what we know:

Wanda, mourning the loss of Pietro and Vision, loses control of herself, unaware of the full extent of her reality warping powers. She subconsciously attempts to bring them back, but in doing so, tears a hole in the fabric of space time, endangering all realities. Holes appear everywhere, where the realities crash and merge, spilling into one another.

Doctor Strange, who is attuned to this sort of thing, realises the only person who can fix it in a world without infinity stones, is Wanda herself. Together, they try to fix it, with the help of time/ space lost characters like America Chavez, while street level heroes like Spider-Man try to deal with crazy, alternate reality parts of their lives rampaging through the streets "Sorry, Mr Octopus, I don't know who you are, but could you calm down please?"

Wanda and Strange do her best but Wanda is new to this type of thing. She stitches reality up- but there are a few changes, some parts of realities left that were destroyed in the crisis and some refugees, no longer able to return home or perhaps even aware this is a new reality, are here now.

These could easily include the mutants, and Wanda's teenage kids, who can make up the Young Avengers/ Champions with America Chavez, Stature/ Cassie Lang, Kate Bishop, and Ms. Marvel. Hulkling could show up from the Secret War series.

So then we have a new status quo without the multiverse being a permanent thing they're always reaching to. It could just be an arc to achieve a goal.

Advertisement