Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MG Cars

• 09-12-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭

This is a general thread for all models rather than updating the 2 different model ones currently posted.

MG website went live this morning and ads on radio.

https://www.mg.ie/

Seems Mitsubishi dealers are changing over to MG franchises.

Reports on UK owners pages are mixed, cars are ok for the price etc but poor backup, parts availability and dealer ability to rectify issues seems to cause huge frustration. I've had friends own them with no issues and others reject cars after a few weeks of ownership.

I owned MGs and Rovers before so have a soft spot for them. I've driven the ZS and 6 and think the styling isn't great but that's a bit subjective.

I'd like to give Frank Keanes a chance but I think the issues which keep cropping up are outside their control.

Hoping to get an electric car next, always wanted another MG, family car styling doesn't bother me as that's where I'm at right now.

No mention of the EV estate here yet.

Decide for yourselves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I owned MGs and Rovers before so have a soft spot for them.

You and me both :)

There is nothing in common between the MGs and Rovers of the past and these Chinese electric cars though. Just the badge.

Don't get me wrong, these MG EVs are good value for money compared to other new EVs. Have a look at Bjørn Nyland's youtube channel. He bought one for the in laws in Thailand and he has posted lots of videos about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I dunno, I feel like the ZS EV has lost some shine in the past year.

It's still good value, but you can get a Leaf40 for the same price and I think the e-2008 is only a bit more expensive

So I'm not exactly blown away by it, it seems like it was a better offer when it first came out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I dunno, I feel like the ZS EV has lost some shine in the past year.

It's still good value, but you can get a Leaf40 for the same price and I think the e-2008 is only a bit more expensive

So I'm not exactly blown away by it, it seems like it was a better offer when it first came out

UK price was cheaper, I think all being equal the ZS EV is more expensive here without reason. Someone worked it out in another thread and it was about €4k more over the UK equivilent even accounting for VRT and rebates.

The HS PHEV hasn't sold very many in the UK at all.

You're right. The early version could be had for something like GBP21k, even though the grant in the UK was only GBP3.5k (here €5k)

If they could sell it over here for about €22-€23k on the road, it would be good value. I don't know if Irish prices are out yet, but I doubt they will be anywhere near that.

Perhaps a quick import of a second hand one from the UK before it's too late? A quick look shows they go from about GBP16k for a late 2019 car. If you didn't very regularly needed the range though, a similarly priced Ioniq would be a better buy.

unkel wrote: »
    I don't know if Irish prices are out yet, but I doubt they will be anywhere near that.

In fairness they have the prices ready to go:

MGZS EV in poverty spec/colour €28,995 rising to €32,895 for the spec you'd like. (after grants etc)

The HS PHEV starts at €33,150 and rises to €37,100

They're starting with 5 dealers from what I can see.

I'd like to go and look but the way things are I can't justify doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

Good to see there is more than one dealer, I thought it was just going to be Frank Keanes, will the new mg dealers honor the warranty here on imports?
    I think I saw on some of the other threads that dealers in the uk weren't having much luck sorting out any issues with the cars.

It feels like they knocked a couple of hundred off the price of the Leaf which is probably the next comparable EV on the market right now.

Nice bit of profiteering there

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It feels like they knocked a couple of hundred off the price of the Leaf which is probably the next comparable EV on the market right now.

Nice bit of profiteering there

Comparing with a €42k (albeit with more range) Kona would be fair too?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Comparing with a €42k (albeit with more range) Kona would be fair too?

I never said MG were the only ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Generic SUVs. Pass.

Re-release the ZT-T with an electric engine and my head might be turned.

And yes, I know that's not a realistic option for many, many reasons. But an actual car with a bit of presence might be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

I think they will struggle to sell these in volume at these price points.

They seem to have Special offers and Promos constantly in UK taking 5,500 to 6,000 off the price of any car.

This is a brand trying to gain a foothold in a new market with whispers of patchy support and hints on the internet of rust issues with some cars in the brand.

If you were interested in either car I'd say it makes more sense to import from UK (of course contingent on rules in place from 1st Jan) , however if this proves unviable I'd still feel hesitant to buy here at these prices, given that they are so much cheaper in UK.

A mid range Kia eNiro or a Niro Plug in Hybrid would to me make a lot more sense at around the same price points.

Maybe they will be doing 'Offers' here too but then I feel if you start off on this foot it is difficult to rebalance. Much better to have launched with prices circa 5k lower than they have launched at and then if you gain traction you can always creep up and this will give new car buyers more confidence in retained residual values.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It's possible to get into more mainstream stuff for a few k more.

VW ID3 is 33 k*

e2008 under 32 k*

You will soon have 64 kwh Korean stuff at not much more albeit 2nd hand.

It's a no from me..

Pity

Edit - *Poverty spec

E30M3 wrote: »
    Much better to have launched with prices circa 5k lower than they have launched at and then if you gain traction

Exactly. There is a lot of appetite in the market for really cheap cars that do what they say on the tin. See the success of the Dacias here. At the €22-23k I suggested this car could have been a success. Not at €28k
    Old diesel wrote: »

We've seen the first €28k 64kWh Hyundai Kona already. A much better proposition even as a 1 year old than these cars brand new

Old diesel wrote: »
    It's possible to get into more mainstream stuff for a few k more.

VW ID3 is 33 k*

e2008 under 32 k*

It's a no from me..

Pity

Edit - *Poverty spec

Even the base spec of both those cars seems equivalent to the ZS EV. It's not like you're getting much more in the MG

As you say they're only a few thousand more so if someone is a fan of VW or Peugeot then it'll be hard to argue the value of the MG

I feel like they've either priced the car high so they can do a bunch of offers to bring the price down, or they're leaving themselves open to be negotiated down to a lower price and still be in profit

Exactly. There is a lot of appetite in the market for really cheap cars that do what they say on the tin. See the success of the Dacias here. At the €22-23k I suggested this car could have been a success. Not at €28k

Or the success of the he E-Up/Citigo/Mii in Europe, or the Zoe which continues to top the sales charts, there's serious demand for a cheaper entry level EV out there

My first car was a Rover 414i, so a soft spot for them. But MGs were never SUVs, so it's a brand in name only.

But, I'm probably doing them a favour, I bought a SAAB 9-3 and that company folded not long after as well :o

My first car was a Rover 414i, so a soft spot for them. But MGs were never SUVs, so it's a brand in name only.

But, I'm probably doing them a favour, I bought a SAAB 9-3 and that company folded not long after as well :o

I've owned MG, Rover and Saab :D

I fear for my favourite make of all time BMW next if they don't get the hell on with electrifying and getting rid of all those sh1tty diesels :(

Most of my favourite restaurants seem to have gone bankrupt too or closed down in recent years :(

I fear for my favourite make of all time BMW next if they don't get the hell on with electrifying and getting rid of all those sh1tty diesels :(

Most of my favourite restaurants seem to have gone bankrupt too or closed down in recent years :(

And the low powered engines only used in Ireland. A tragedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They need to do more (BMW) but I think they've a better chance of making it then lots of other brands.

Isn't there a 3 series shaped EV prototype doing the rounds or did I imagine that????

And the low powered engines only used in Ireland. A tragedy!

Just be thankful we didn't get the 516i

• Advertisement

Just be thankful we didn't get the 516i

:eek: What poor buggers got that. I knew we got the 316i - who got worse than Paddy spec?

:eek: What poor buggers got that. I knew we got the 316i - who got worse than Paddy spec?

THE GREEKS

https://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/bmw-516ierr520i-at-with-16l-turbo/

Far superior to those rattle box 520d that are absolutely everywhere and have been since 2008 for da chape tax :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seen the prices and got interested. Looked at the range (from Bjorn) and lost interest. The id3 seems a better offering for similar money.

Seen the prices and got interested. Looked at the range (from Bjorn) and lost interest. The id3 seems a better offering for similar money.

Yeah around €4k more gets you 30% more battery and arguably a nicer car, and the smaller battery one is coming out next year which will have the same battery and be around the same price as the MG

It looks like the 45kWh battery range of cars is going to get quite crowded soon, good for consumers as they'll be trying to compete with one another

So maybe give the MG a year and see where the price is then, wouldn't be surprised to see it around the €25k mark

The local distributor isn't profiteering based on the official prices in Germany.
    https://www.bafa.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Energie/emob_liste_foerderfaehige_fahrzeuge.pdf
    German prices in that pdf need VAT/MwST added to them and then 3000 euro subtracted(the manufacturer portion of the 9000 euro German EV rebate).

That MG is just too expensive for what it is. You'd be better off in a 45kwh id3 any day of the week... or a Mokka or a Citroen c4 or 2008 or Leaf or Kia/Hyundai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...That MG is just too expensive for what it is. You'd be better off in a 45kwh id3 any day of the week.....

Unless you need the space, 5 seats and bigger boot. But it doesn't make sense in Ireland thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

The local distributor isn't profiteering based on the official prices in Germany.
    https://www.bafa.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Energie/emob_liste_foerderfaehige_fahrzeuge.pdf
    German prices in that pdf need VAT/MwST added to them and then 3000 euro subtracted(the manufacturer portion of the 9000 euro German EV rebate).

Someone is apparently profiteering as they can be sold, presumably at a profit for a lot less in UK with constant 'offers' i.e.

'MG EV scrappage deal - Receive up to £8,000 off a brand new MG5 EV, MG ZS EV, or MG HS Plug-in when you part ex a petrol or diesel car @ MG'

Giving prices of

Model. Trim. RRP. Saving. OTR price

MG5 EV Excite £27,495 £7,000 £20,495
    MG5 EV Exclusive £29,995 £7,000 £22,995
    MG ZS EV Excite £28,495 £8,000 £20,495
    MG ZS EV Exclusive £30,995 £8,000 £22,995
    MG HS Plug-in Excite £29,995 £4,000 £25,995
    MG HS Plug-in Exclusive £32,495 £4,000 £28,495

That MG is just too expensive for what it is. You'd be better off in a 45kwh id3 any day of the week... or a Mokka or a Citroen c4 or 2008 or Leaf or Kia/Hyundai

MG and Rover have a very good image still in Europe

• Advertisement

MG and Rover have a very good image still in Europe

By who? It must be near 20 years since it was produced in Europe, and anyone old enough to remember it in production is going to know the brand was sold off with zero pedigree.

Think of MG, now think of the cars they are releasing under the brand. I don't see much too it.

The MG brand has been diluted since they rebranded the Rover 75 as an MG, with relatively minor changes. Of course, the company was in its death throes by then.

Advertisement