Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Rum/Ron/Rhum are we drinking this month?

• 03-12-2020 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭

While this shouldn't be a brisk as the Whiskey thread, I would like to think there's enough interest to discuss rums on here.

Also, it takes the rum talk out of the whiskey thread.

---

A couple of us over in the whiskey thread will be doing this next week:

tasting_(9)-776x1176.jpg

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Bristol-Spirits-Rare-Old-Rums-Tasting-Pack-Including-Delivery

I've had a couple of sneaky finger tastes of them last week and they really are stunning. Very much looking forward to it.

---

In addition to that, I received a rum tasting pack from Flaviar this week and have had one of them on Tuesday night and I couldn't recommend it higher.

rum_ron3.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4550/ron-zacapa-centenario-xo-rum-solera-gran-reserva-especial

Though, at the price it is, it's not surprising that it's rather tasty.

Lovely sharpness which would appeal to the whiskey drinkers out there with that distinctive rum sweetness at the back end.

---

Anyway let's see how it goes I guess...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What's the recommended way to drink a good rum? Minus the coca cola ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I drink it like whiskey.

Neat and then decide if it needs an ice cube...

Each to their own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I drink my fancier rums neat as well. My wife planted mint this year and it grows like a weed so I had a good few mjoitos made with ginger beer as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

gozunda wrote: »
    What's the recommended way to drink a good rum? Minus the coca cola ...

Just sip it neat, nothing required.

If it's very high ABV you have the option of adding water.

Venezuelan friends and others will advocate for various additions but honestly as with a good whisky a good rum requires nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i've picked up a couple of bottles of dead mans fingers for the festive period. it gets good reviews so im hoping it will be a cut above the usual.

I picked up a bottle of 4 year aged bacoo from aldi on a whim a couple of months ago, and it was without question the nicest rum ive ever had. they don't stock it regularly, so it was a one off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Picked this up in O'Brien's when it was on BF offer of €38:
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/diplomatico-reserva-rum-70cl

Haven't really tried any rums, but got into whiskey in the past couple of years. Read good reviews, so looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love a drop of rum.

Buying rum is a feckin minefield, though. It's so hard to know what you're going to get unless you've tasted the brand before. Some are sweetened and some taste flavoured to me.

Currently drinking Havana Club 7 yo. I think that's a great starting place for anyone wanting to try something from a duty-free (remember them).
    I find Plantation to be very reliable too as is Flor de Cana.
    I'm not a fan of the zacapa range, though I haven't tried the xo mentioned here.

I haven't tried any of those in the tasting. They look really interesting.

I've had some amazing rums I've picked up over the years that I'll probably never see again. If you find yourself in a really good bottle shop with keen, knowledgeable staff, treat yourself to a nice bottle but, in my experience, assistance is key.

Oh, and if you haven't tried Espresso, rum and butter (with a little sugar), you haven't lived.
    Proper, strong espresso, a little knob of butter and a small splash of rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I know nothing about rum apart from mojitos and getting locked into a Welsh pub 30 years ago and drinking rum and black with the landlord. I'm looking forward to the CWS tasting to educate myself a bit and I'll buy some if I like it. (Samples smell great I have to say!).

Now I think about it, I don't think I have any rum in reserve after the Havana 7 year old and nothing else open. This lack of travel is bad for having interesting spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I love a drop of rum.

Buying rum is a feckin minefield, though. It's so hard to know what you're going to get unless you've tasted the brand before. Some are sweetened and some taste flavoured to me.

Currently drinking Havana Club 7 yo. I think that's a great starting place for anyone wanting to try something from a duty-free (remember them).
    I find Plantation to be very reliable too as is Flor de Cana.
    I'm not a fan of the zacapa range, though I haven't tried the xo mentioned here.

I haven't tried any of those in the tasting. They look really interesting.

I've had some amazing rums I've picked up over the years that I'll probably never see again. If you find yourself in a really good bottle shop with keen, knowledgeable staff, treat yourself to a nice bottle but, in my experience, assistance is key.

Oh, and if you haven't tried Espresso, rum and butter (with a little sugar), you haven't lived.
    Proper, strong espresso, a little knob of butter and a small splash of rum.

Is the espresso, rum, and butter something that can be gotten in a bar anywhere in Dublin, or is it more something you concoct yourself?

• Advertisement

revz wrote: »
    Is the espresso, rum, and butter something that can be gotten in a bar anywhere in Dublin, or is it more something you concoct yourself?

I've only ever had it at home.
    Someone told me about it and I've been doing it ever since. You need an espresso machine, though. A stove top espresso would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Started out on whiskey and jumped to rum for a good number of years and then jumped back to favouring whiskey...must post on whiskey thread (God knows i read it enough!!)
    Had a nice few glasses of whiskey last week and looked at my rums and decided it was time to sample a few again (as if I needed more) and loved them after the few whiskey drinks..
    I find with rum (more so than whiskey) that the cheaper end stuff is not great taken neat which is the way I prefer to drink them

Put it another way, I find you gets (and taste!) what you pay for..
    Every one is different but I really like Opthimus 21 years and one called Plantation 20th Anniversary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Missed this thread. Great idea. Have a load of rum samples ordered as part of the Christmas present from the missus. The new year resolution is to get into rum and cognac. I know absolutely nothing about either so looking forward to trying them. Could there be a world outside of whiskey?!

Had some dead mans finger spiced rum the other night. Drank it straight. Lovely nose on it but the taste didn't quite live up to it. Nice heat and sweet spice. An entry level rum slightly above the Captain Morgans of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

There's a number of rums I've tried - mostly in the spiced category
    Kraken black spiced- very nice
    Red Leg Spiced - not too bad
    Lambs spiced - very vanilla

Red Leg also have a caramelised pineapple which i'm on the fence about

Havana 7yr old - lovely
    Pampero - very lovely
    Mount Gay - would be the go to in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

had a look there

current open

Havana 7 year old ( my go too)
    bundaburg small batch ( much nicer than the normal bundy and a little sweeter than the above)
    morgans ( to give to anyone who asks for rum :):))
    Kraken black (used for dark and stormy only goes so good with hollows ginger beer)

unopened
    Diplomatico reserve ( think it will come out xmas eve)
    Bundaburg select Vat 249 ( not sure what to expect of this so its exciting)

Next buy
    Need to pick up a bottle of the brewdog rum as that stuff was delicious but cant find it here anywwhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would be partial to some Brugal myself but not at this price:

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Brugal-Anejo-Rum?search=Brugal

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere else in Ireland unfortunately. I once brought back about 6 bottles of it from Spain, around a tenner each in the supermarket. You used to get it in the odd airport too but I haven't seen it in years.

Would be partial to some Brugal myself but not at this price:

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Brugal-Anejo-Rum?search=Brugal

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere else in Ireland unfortunately. I once brought back about 6 bottles of it from Spain, around a tenner each in the supermarket. You used to get it in the odd airport too but I haven't seen it in years.

Mad price! I've seen it in airports over the years. Decent rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

First tasting tonight with Bristol Rums.

This will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

First tasting tonight with Bristol Rums.

Raging I didn't get it. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hey Lads ,

Going to get a couple of nice bottles of rum for Christmas. I know that to experienced rum drinkers it’s probably a sin to mix a good rum but I really find drinking spirits straight more of a chore than an enjoyable experience.

I will give it another go but while I’m at it , what do you guys think is the best mixer for say Havana 7 or Kracken ?

My personal favourite is ginger ale but maybe I’m missing out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,731 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

tastyt wrote: »
    Hey Lads ,
    Going to get a couple of nice bottles of rum for Christmas. I know that to experienced rum drinkers it’s probably a sin to mix a good rum but I really find drinking spirits more of a chore than an enjoyable experience.
    I will give it another go but while I’m at it , what do you guys think is the best mixer for say Havana 7 or Kracken ?
    My personal favourite is ginger ale but maybe I’m missing out

If you're going to mix it, not sure if worth paying extra for Havana 7 over say Havana Club Anejo Especial?

I like this version of a 'dark and stormy' cocktail with Anejo Especial, very refreshing though more of a summer drink:
    * Juice from one lime wedge
    * 1/3 cola to 2/3 'fiery' ginger ale
    * 1 ice cube

Over time play around with the mix of cola, fiery ginger ale or if not keen on fiery ginger ale go for Club Ginger Ale instead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Prefer the proper fiery ginger beer to ginger ale myself. Also find pretty much any good fruit juice goes well too.

fevertree have brought out some interesting mixers...they did a spiced orange ginger ale that worked really well with Kraken

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those fancier Fevertrees are rarely available in Ireland except sometimes in mixed packs, unfortunately.

true - found them on occasion in dunnes & O'Briens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

made some Hot Buttered Rum at the weekend.

4 Parts Dark Rum
    1 Part Butter
    1 Part Brown Sugar
    Cinnamon Sticks
    Nutmeg
    Ginger
    Cloves
    (All spices are to taste, I wasn't measuring)
    heat but don't allow to boil
    Strain into glasses and top up with hot water

very delicious

Opened the Killowen dark rum this week.

If I’m honest I’m a little disappointed, I think I’ve had cheaper rums like Cacique and Diplomatico Mantuano I preferred. I really wanted to be impressed but maybe the odds were always that there were going to be gremlins to be worked out with this.

I don’t know enough about rum to comment on the distillery’s comments on how they distilled it. Is this traditional rum or more a pot still hybrid..?

The 55% abv is to the fore, and a very high sort of sweetness, almost a sweet, damp tobacco like quality.

Opened the Killowen dark rum this week.

If I’m honest I’m a little disappointed, I think I’ve had cheaper rums like Cacique and Diplomatico Mantuano I preferred. I really wanted to be impressed but maybe the odds were always that there were going to be gremlins to be worked out with this.

I don’t know enough about rum to comment on the distillery’s comments on how they distilled it. Is this traditional rum or more a pot still hybrid..?

The 55% abv is to the fore, and a very high sort of sweetness, almost a sweet, damp tobacco like quality.

I only had a brief sample of this and while I can't remember the details, I remember that I really liked it.
    Different strokes and all that.

I only had a brief sample of this and while I can't remember the details, I remember that I really liked it.
    Different strokes and all that.

It could be totally down to my taste. I don't drink enough rum to be able to credibly say whether I think it's good or bad (I'd be bolder when it comes to whisky).

• Advertisement

I've not had the Killowen rum yet but on a basic level, it works out at €100 for a 700ml bottle. That's a lot of money for a young bottle of rum, particularly from a distillery not known for it's rum making.

Advertisement