Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chuck Yeager has died. R.I.P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Very sad to hear that

I went to Oshkosh back in the 80s and he did a talk there , very interesting chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

One of the all-time greats. Didnt always endear himself to people but still,such an accomplished guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

banie01 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/chuck-yeager-first-pilot-to-break-the-sound-barrier-dies-aged-97-12154822

One of the band of test pilots that hurled themselves at the sound barrier.
    The 1st to breach it in the Bell X1 and I know that as someone born over 30yrs after he achieved Mach 1...

Someone who was one of my 1st test pilot heroes.
    A great of aviator and a huge loss.

It's easy to say, but he really did have "the right stuff"

'The Right Stuff'.... a great film for the story of Chuck Yeager and his trail blazing colleagues who paved the way for space exploration.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Ger Roe wrote: »
    'The Right Stuff'.... a great film for the story of Chuck Yeager and his trail blazing colleagues who paved the way for space exploration.

......which includes a Cameo of his good self. :DB) Good Movie..Thought there are a couple of inaccuracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Stovepipe wrote: »
    One of the all-time greats. Didnt always endear himself to people but still,such an accomplished guy.

RIP to one of the greats.

His Twitter account definitely reflected the orneriness over the last number of years, but rarely boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

RIP Chick Yeager.

A legend with the stars now in the sky.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Ger Roe wrote: »

Bit of a cliche to say it, but in this case the book (by Tom Wolfe) really is better than the film, and I thought the film was great. Well worth a read.

Sad to hear of Yeager's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Skyknight wrote: »
    ......which includes a Cameo of his good self. :DB) Good Movie..Thought there are a couple of inaccuracies.

When is the cameo in the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

He's the old man in Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club, who serves 'Scott Crossfield the steak at time index 36:47 - 36:52...in the background at 37:46- 37:55 38:52- 39:11 ..52:55- 53:33 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,026 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As a kid I knew the name even before I had any context about who he was or what he had done.

Kinda at the Neil Armstrong level for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Nothing to do with colour. The White House was pushing hard to get a Black/Asian/Hispanic astronaut into space but the available pool of skilled pilots of those origins was very small. Dwight was a good candidate, clearly a skilled pilot but Yeager,who was one of his instructors in engineering college, felt that he wasn't quite good enough for the Space program. Bear in mind that Yeager was rejected as an astronaut candidate for not having a college degree. When Dwight was rejected, Yeager took a certain amount of flak for that but some of the actual astronauts and engineers who took part in the selection process agreed with Yeager and said so. Plenty of skilled White pilots were rejected,too.

Advertisement