Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farmers driving on public roads

• 07-12-2020 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys, here’s something I couldn’t help but notice:
    I’ve nothing against farmers but it seems that in my local area they’re not fully compliant with the rules of the road.

Only in the past week I’ve seen a number of land cruisers driving without lights on in the fog in the eve. I’ve seen a driver on a phone towing a trailer at a junction through town at rush hour. Yesterday I was trying to overtake a Pajero doing 50 in a 80 zone who was driving right on the line.(when I finally did overtake him, he left his long beams on). People pulling out right in front of you etc. I could go on and on, and it seems to be farmers’ jeeps or tractors.
    Just yesterday Guards seized a jeep and trailer with no lights, unsecured bales and not even break lights working!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Again, just an observation. Perhaps it’s the older folk who don’t bother checking lights etc.? Unfortunately the number of farming accidents across the country seems to reflect this.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Not sure why you believe they are farmers. In general there are always drivers flaunting the rules everywhere. What you describe I encounter regularly on rural roads. Not always in a Pajero though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

An awful lot of tractor drivers on the mobile phone has to be said

More than car drivers from my observations

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Abcryan123

bigar wrote: »
    Not sure why you believe they are farmers. In general there are always drivers flaunting the rules everywhere. What you describe I encounter regularly on rural roads. Not always in a Pajero though.

Perhaps I’m making somewhat of an assumption, but then again I don’t know anyone driving an older dented jeep that often has old chunks of mud stuck to it or land cruiser that’s not from a farming background

Also I completely agree with you about drivers flaunting the rules, although I feel there is a smaller proportion of regular drivers that are getting on my nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pasteur. wrote: »
    An awful lot of tractor drivers on the mobile phone has to be said

More than car drivers from my observations

It's easier to see a tractor driver on a phone than a car driver if you are in a car. Get into a van, or a tractor!, and you'll see that a lot more car drivers are using phones than you think.

Abcryan123 wrote: »
    Perhaps I’m making somewhat of an assumption, but then again I don’t know anyone driving an older dented jeep that often has old chunks of mud stuck to it or land cruiser that’s not from a farming background

Also I completely agree with you about drivers flaunting the rules, although I feel there is a smaller proportion of regular drivers that are getting on my nerves

I live in a suburb but close to rural areas. There's the same amount of bad road use by all road users not just people in beat up old 4x4s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What are break lights? Surely they’re doing exactly what it says on the tin if they’re not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Everything you posted there happens across the board with all road users not just farmers

There is a huge problem with farmers and contractors driving with not tied down loads and very bad lights etc.
    A tractor went past my house a few days ago in the dark with a huge plow on the back sticking out 20 feet , not a screed of a light or reflector on it

What are break lights? Surely they’re doing exactly what it says on the tin if they’re not working.

I’d imagine they’re supposed to work when the driver is stopping. Please see attached pic for source from Garda page

Everything you posted there happens across the board with all road users not just farmers

There is a huge problem with farmers and contractors driving with not tied down loads and very bad lights etc.
    A tractor went past my house a few days ago in the dark with a huge plow on the back sticking out 20 feet , not a screed of a light or reflector on it

Lights aren’t the most expensive thing to replace either so I can’t see why they’re not being used, especially in the dark.

Say if you end up smashing with one of those, can anyone say which driver is more responsible for the accident then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

I think farmers get a bit of leeway from AGS when it comes to road safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Farmers are not that different from any other road user to be honest.

There is one thing farmer specific that does drive me mad and is dangerous. The farmers that drive on the public roads with their white work lights illuminated on the rear of the tractor.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

they show the other driver is slowing. Please see attached pic for source from Garda page

he's commenting on the mis-spelling....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pasteur. wrote: »
    I think farmers get a bit of leeway from AGS when it comes to road safety

Certainly a bit of nod and wink in their own areas, like the local GAA heroes.

Lights and stuff break on tractors, no test of any kind for those so no mad rush to replace them.
    Contractors appear to have better maintained vehicles but since they travel about a lot more they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about farmers who drive out from fields dragging loads of mud and debris out onto the road with them.

Imagine yourself on a motorbike, rounding a bend, no speeding involved, observing the road in front of you, doing everything right, only for your front wheel to go into this trail of mud and lose all grip. In most cases you'll be on your arse, injured, etc.

If I go out and litter a public road with debris, I'm expected to go and clean it up, the road surface should be reasonably clean. If farmers do it, where I live, there's not a bother. It angers me because it's so dangerous to the most vulnerable road users and it also slaps the face of cyclists and pedestrians out for a stroll too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Isambard wrote: »
    he's commenting on the mis-spelling....

The spelling is correct, the word is wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

The spelling is correct, the word is wrong though!

all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order? (E Morecombe)

Lights aren’t the most expensive thing to replace either so I can’t see why they’re not being used, especially in the dark.

Say if you end up smashing with one of those, can anyone say which driver is more responsible for the accident then?

They break easily when used in roughly and then they are too lazy to replace.

The operator of the vehicle which isn't showing the correct lights, but the other road user would be partially responsible because "they where going to fast to stop safely on their side of the road in the distance they can see is safe".
    Fabio wrote: »
    When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about farmers who drive out from fields dragging loads of mud and debris out onto the road with them.

Imagine yourself on a motorbike, rounding a bend, no speeding involved, observing the road in front of you, doing everything right, only for your front wheel to go into this trail of mud and lose all grip. In most cases you'll be on your arse, injured, etc.

If I go out and litter a public road with debris, I'm expected to go and clean it up, the road surface should be reasonably clean. If farmers do it, where I live, there's not a bother. It angers me because it's so dangerous to the most vulnerable road users and it also slaps the face of cyclists and pedestrians out for a stroll too.

Report then to the council. If they aren't reported no action will be taken, if they are reported and no action is taken then you go after the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Hi guys, here’s something I couldn’t help but notice:
    I’ve nothing against farmers but it seems that in my local area they’re not fully compliant with the rules of the road.

Only in the past week I’ve seen a number of land cruisers driving without lights on in the fog in the eve. I’ve seen a driver on a phone towing a trailer at a junction through town at rush hour. Yesterday I was trying to overtake a Pajero doing 50 in a 80 zone who was driving right on the line.(when I finally did overtake him, he left his long beams on). People pulling out right in front of you etc. I could go on and on, and it seems to be farmers’ jeeps or tractors.
    Just yesterday Guards seized a jeep and trailer with no lights, unsecured bales and not even break lights working!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Again, just an observation. Perhaps it’s the older folk who don’t bother checking lights etc.? Unfortunately the number of farming accidents across the country seems to reflect this.

Cheers

Yes, some of them can't seem to make the adjustment form driving in a field on their own to sharing the road with other people.

Seems to be an anti following the rules mentality with some farmers and is why there is little thought about health and safety resulting in the last bastion of high occupational fatalities.

Fella with a slurry tanker pulled out in front of me at a junction the other day even though there were cars coming in the opposite lane where he was trying to get. So I had to brake and stop as he stupidly got stuck, blocking a busy main road. Probably a 10 year old child driving it, forgot to look and see.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Maybe you have a specific problem in your area, but believe me you are blessed if farmers are the only ones doing stuff like that.

Do you know what happens in my area?

- Double-parking.
    - No lights after dark.
    - No indicators ever, unless they are going straight.
    - Parking in front of an empty space instead of IN the space.
    - Parking on the path, 5 meters away from an empty space.
    - Driving the wrong way in a car park (I’ve had 4 near-misses in a year)
    - Driving a grey car, at dusk, in the mist, with no lights on.
    - Drive at 30kph, then start turning right when I’m overtaking them.
    - Drive at 70kph in a 100kph zone, then 70kph in a 50kph zone.

So... I think you’re ok.

Oink wrote: »
    Maybe you have a specific problem in your area, but believe me you are blessed if farmers are the only ones doing stuff like that.

Do you know what happens in my area?

- Double-parking.
    - No lights after dark.
    - No indicators ever, unless they are going straight.
    - Parking in front of an empty space instead of IN the space.
    - Parking on the path, 5 meters away from an empty space.
    - Driving the wrong way in a car park (I’ve had 4 near-misses in a year)
    - Driving a grey car, at dusk, in the mist, with no lights on.
    - Drive at 30kph, then start turning right when I’m overtaking them.
    - Drive at 70kph in a 100kph zone, then 70kph in a 50kph zone.

So... I think you’re ok.

Now that you mention it the above points do happen quite a bit here too. You reminded me of one lad who parks his big jeep on a footpath right at a T junction so that nobody can see around the corner.

Your last point is very true, I think Top Gear discussed it ages ago, something about putting the deer in the towns lol

• Advertisement

Mimon wrote: »
    Yes, some of them can't seem to make the adjustment form driving in a field on their own to sharing the road with other people.

Seems to be an anti following the rules mentality with some farmers and is why there is little thought about health and safety resulting in the last bastion of high occupational fatalities.

Fella with a slurry tanker pulled out in front of me at a junction the other day even though there were cars coming in the opposite lane where he was trying to get. So I had to brake and stop as he stupidly got stuck, blocking a busy main road. Probably a 10 year old child driving it, forgot to look and see.

That’s worse than someone pulling out right in front of you, causing you to brake, then doing 30 in a 50 zone.

Mimon wrote: »

I've had car drivers do similar.

There is nearly zero enforcement of our traffic laws and nearly all road users ignore the laws that apply to them. Yet you have decided that farmers are the main culprits for ignoring our traffic laws when all road users are as bad.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've had car drivers do similar.

There is nearly zero enforcement of our traffic laws and nearly all road users ignore the laws that apply to them. Yet you have decided that farmers are the main culprits for ignoring our traffic laws when all road users are as bad.

I am only claiming what I seen in my area proportion wise. Where I live has a fair amount of farmers, van drivers and cars.

Personally, most car drivers I see I have absolutely no issue with, whereas every second ish ‘farmer’ on the road is neglecting one or more of the rules (at least when I’m on the road) or driving very slowly holding up traffic (jeeps). Again, this just a personal observation and may not apply to your area.

I am sure if you look at bigger towns, or Dublin city for example, where there are less farming vehicles compared to cars, you will see many more van and car drivers there neglecting the rules of the road and thus may think that all drivers ignore the rules that apply to them equally.

Edit: just seen two tractors, one right behind the other, both drivers on their phones. Also this was right after a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭memomtoo

Consumer law for cars

Can anyone advise me as we are so stuck to afford a sudden repair.
    I bought a used car 2016 model. 2.5yrs back
    From
    Dealer
    Age of car is 4yrs
    Suddenly servicing center were surprised to see an engine oil leakage issue, he wondered a car like this should have this issueas it only travelled 29k so far
    Dealer said it has 3yr warranty
    Now really confused if we have any consumer law for this to cover?
    As it may take 5/600euro

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭memomtoo

Consumer law for cars

Can anyone advise me as we are so stuck to afford a sudden repair.
    I bought a used car 2016 model. 2.5yrs back
    From
    Dealer
    Age of car is 4yrs
    Suddenly servicing center were surprised to see an engine oil leakage issue, he wondered a car like this should have this issueas it only travelled 29k so far
    Dealer said it has 3yr warranty
    Now really confused if we have any consumer law for this to cover?
    As it may take 5/600euro

Advertisement