Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA exams at home

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Liverpool2014

Guys, just tried to login myacca portal and it appears to be working now. My partner has her exam tomorrow so fingers crossed.

and the website is down again. That didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

My partner seems to have gotten through to the exam at the moment so she's going to try do it but who knows when it'll go again. Certainly not the best preperation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are the acca still persisting with non open book exams ? Such a nonsense at this level .

It's madness!! I've just sat the IPASS Certified Payroll Technician exams from home, they were all open book. No faffing around with webcams etc. We just did the exam and were given 30 minutes afterwards in which to take photos of the answer booklet and email them in. Then post of the actual hard copy exam booklet. I have to say it was all very well organised and administrated, and IPASS were available on the phone at all times in case of any issues.

As far as I can remember from when I was doing the ACA exams through Chartered Accountants several years ago, they were almost all open book. You'd think ACCA would get with the times and do the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It's madness!! I've just sat the IPASS Certified Payroll Technician exams from home, they were all open book. No faffing around with webcams etc. We just did the exam and were given 30 minutes afterwards in which to take photos of the answer booklet and email them in. Then post of the actual hard copy exam booklet. I have to say it was all very well organised and administrated, and IPASS were available on the phone at all times in case of any issues.

As far as I can remember from when I was doing the ACA exams through Chartered Accountants several years ago, they were almost all open book. You'd think ACCA would get with the times and do the same!!

aca was open book 15 years ago when i was doing them, some crack in the exam hall people bringing trollies of reference materials :P my wife was doing acca at the same time i thought it was lunacy then i can believe thats still the approach :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

shano_88 wrote: »
    just off the phone there and he advised me if i missed my exam then ill get my money back but as its a professional exam i wont be able to redo until March. A joke of a professional organisation.

I have another exam tomorrow and barely see the point for preparing for it at this stage.
    From the ACCA website:

We’re sorry if you experienced technical issues with your remote exam.
    The quickest and easiest way to withdraw is to self-serve and re-book your exam for week commencing 14 December
    For help in completing the self-serve process you can watch our video help guide
    Once submitted you'll receive instant confirmation
    Please don't submit more than one request for each exam
    Please be aware, the only papers available week commencing 14 Dec are: AA, TX (UK), PM, FR, FM
    All bookings are subject to availability.

So it looks like the info you got today was correct and P exams can't be taken next week.

I was due to take TX tomorrow, but according to that, only TX (UK) can be rebooked. Wonder why the Irish version can't be rescheduled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Cyrus wrote: »
    aca was open book 15 years ago when i was doing them, some crack in the exam hall people bringing trollies of reference materials :P my wife was doing acca at the same time i thought it was lunacy then i can believe thats still the approach :eek:

The FAE was open book at least 30 years ago, when I did it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭shano_88

Got a text from Acca just there saying they are exploring options for those who missed exams this morning as a result of the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

What a disaster for this is, terrible situation for all. I am doing ATX tomorrow and now anxious over it being postponed. Only comes around every 6 months, head buried in books since August.
    What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Feel sorry for you all. I only spotted this thread now. I did college exams through a proctoring company at the beginning of the pandemic. It was a shambles.

We had to share our screen, do the identity checks, and it was automated montioring through webcam then. Scan in your exam at the end thru an app on your phone, written pen and paper then shut down. We had no preparation other than some videos sent to us 40 hours before the exam. There was so many issues, so many people lost exams through outages, not being monitored properly etc. I was lucky but it was the most horrendous experience. We were not allowed a toilet break either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Nightmare for people this morning.

Sitting a remote exam myself tomorrow so hope its not more of the same. The process as per the website says you have to take 4 photos of the room (Behind, front & each side) and upload via mobile phone link. Is this the case?

Do you also have to show the room by turning your laptop around? I only ask cause I have the laptop connected via LAN cable which is loose and if the cable comes out then the internet connection drops for a few seconds whilst reconnecting to wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was sitting my final ACCA exam today. Advanced Audit and Assurance, my screen locked with 1hr 30mins remaining in the exam. I couldn't write anything or navigate around. I pressed the alert and was told a proctor would be in touch as soon as possible.

I was never contacted via chat or received a phone call which is the process.

After 30/40mins I called ACCA who outsourced remote exam query calls to an India call centre. They were completely useless , the first person told me to turn off my computer and I could book AAA next week. I double check this with them several time on the call because everything I had seen said only the skill levels could be retaken next week and not the professional level.

Tried to rebook and couldn't, rang back again got the indian call centre and was told it would probably be March when I could sit again, but they were not sure. It was like calling a bad outsourced vodafone call centre, not a professional Accountancy body.

my exam was ****ed, through no fault of my own and I feel completely let down.

The exam was actually going well up to that point and I had read all the questions completed half of it and felt I was definitely on my way to a pass. Devastated really, I have been working on these exams over the last number of years and put in more effort than anything else I have ever done, and just really wanted to get done with them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Oh my god that sounds like a complete nightmare Marty. What a cluster**** of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I was sitting my final ACCA exam today. Advanced Audit and Assurance, my screen locked with 1hr 30mins remaining in the exam. I couldn't write anything or navigate around. I pressed the alert and was told a proctor would be in touch as soon as possible.

After 30/40mins I called ACCA who outsourced remote exam query calls to an India call centre. They were completely useless , the first person told me to turn off my computer and I could book AAA next week. I double check this with them several time on the call because everything I had seen said only the skill levels could be retaken next week and not the professional level.

Tried to rebook and couldn't, rang back again got the indian call centre and was told it would probably be March when I could sit again, but they were not sure. It was like calling a bad outsourced vodafone call centre, not a professional Accountancy body.

The exam was actually going well up to that point and I had read all the questions completed half of it and felt I was definitely on my way to a pass. Devastated really, I have been working on these exams over the last number of years and put in more effort than anything else I have ever done, and just really wanted to get done with them today.

Absolute shambles. I'd feel very hard done by. This stuff is difficult enough without this nonsense.

That's actually a scandal.

Not sure if it's suitable for you but just got an email saying the below

"Dear Shane

We again want to apologise for the issues you faced with myACCA earlier today which impacted your Advanced Audit and Assurance (AAA) exam.

We are able to re-book your AAA exam entry for Tuesday December 8, however we recognise this is very last minute and the new time slot may not be suitable. Please look out for a separate email which will confirm the new time slot for your exam. If the new exam time is not suitable, please complete the form on the Contact Us page here where you can withdraw and re-book into the March exam session. This is the quickest way for you to self-serve and withdraw and receive your exam fee credit to your myACCA account."

I'm due to sit SBL tomorrow so it doesn't suit me at all but surely if they can facilitate this, they can facilitate it being sit next week. Honestly, ACCA have alot to answer for how they've handled this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Ah guys, just catching up on the posts now - I am so sorry to read all the crap you went through today with ACCA, that is unacceptable! I understand that things can go wrong, but for them to push you on until next March is very unfair -whether it is your last exam or you have others to do in March, its not on.

I have been unfortunate enough to get a few 49% - I always thought that was unfair (just lie to me and tell me it was 45%) but today takes the fecking biscuit.

Really hope that you get sorted and another exam can be resat this side of Christmas rather than having to wait. Is it with the P Level exams, they only have one paper? The F ones seem to have a bank of questions that are randomly delivered.

For the rest of us sitting it this week - best of luck everyone, hopefully we don't encounter the same issues that people had today. Jaysus I would rather a written exam any day - or maybe ACCA need to revert until they sort out the technical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LBK 2001

i have no idea what any of this mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Gutted for anyone affected by this. The stress and energy that goes into preparing for these exams is intense, for it to fall down due to technical issues is appalling.

I'm just finished SBL. Ran fairly smoothly until the 15 minute warning popped up and froze everything. Invegilator said it couldn't be fixed and I'd just have to wait the final 15 mins and he'd attach a report to my exam outlining the issue.

Just glad I got to sit it at this stage. Can't believe there's more issues today.

Dear Shane

We again want to apologise for the issues you faced with myACCA earlier today which impacted your Advanced Audit and Assurance (AAA) exam.

We are able to re-book your AAA exam entry for Tuesday December 8, however we recognise this is very last minute and the new time slot may not be suitable. Please look out for a separate email which will confirm the new time slot for your exam. If the new exam time is not suitable, please complete the form on the Contact Us page here where you can withdraw and re-book into the March exam session. This is the quickest way for you to self-serve and withdraw and receive your exam fee credit to your myACCA account."

I'm due to sit SBL tomorrow so it doesn't suit me at all but surely if they can facilitate this, they can facilitate it being sit next week. Honestly, ACCA have alot to answer for how they've handled this.

Wow that add insult to injury. I was not offered a chance to retake, this is what I got back.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us. My name is Carina, Complaints Assistant within ACCA and your complaint has been passed to myself to review.

I am sorry to read of the technical issues you faced while trying to sit your AAA exam. I can appreciate how frustrating this must have been for you, given the work you would have put into preparing for your final exam.

I note you did not receive a call from the invigilator in response to the issues you were encountering. I am sorry no contact was made, this will be fed back to the relevant department. The expectation is certainly that an invigilator should call our student on the number they provide at the beginning of the exam, where issues occur.

I can confirm, and as mentioned by one of our Connect advisers Stephen, with whom you spoke with on the 7th, that you were given incorrect information with regards to being able to sit the AAA exam next week. As you stated, the exam timetable confirms this is not an option. I therefore apologise that you were given wrong information which ultimately led you to ending your exam despite having time remaining to try and complete it. Please be assured that this will be fed back to the relevant adviser.

I am also sorry that the level of service you received from ACCA was not to the standard you'd expect. We certainly want to ensure our students and members feel confident with any information provided to them by call or email. Again, this shall be fed back.
    I note you were not able to speak with a supervisor; this is mainly down to working from home due to the pandemic and so submitting the complaint was the right thing to.

I understand how this was you final exam and how disappointing it is. You do have the option of withdrawing from this exam and receiving a refund back into your myACCA account, which will allow you to rebook for the March session, should you wish. The quickest way to do this is using the contact us form on our website.

Alternatively, if you feel you have submitted enough exam content for it to be marked, then you can do this and apply for mitigating circumstances consideration via the 'My qualification' section of your myACCA account. Please note, when logging your complaint, space is limited and I would ask that you summarise your experience as concisely as possible. If you decide to do this, please do so be the deadline date of the 23rd of December, for the situation to be considered.

I am sorry I am unable to provide you with a more positive outcome at this time, but I hope the information I have provided clarifies matters for you.
    Following this response we now consider your complaint closed, if however, you have anything further you would like to raise please do not hesitate to contact us.
    ACCA does have a defined complaints escalation process for further review purposes if requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

I sat ATX today and very relieved that it ran smoothly.

Sitting APM tomorrow and hoping nothing goes wrong again

Cant believe there was issues for others agaib today, totally ridiculous. Such a stressful experience regardless of issues, so much sympathy to those affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Wow that add insult to injury. I was not offered a chance to retake, this is what I got back.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us. My name is Carina, Complaints Assistant within ACCA and your complaint has been passed to myself to review.

I am sorry to read of the technical issues you faced while trying to sit your AAA exam. I can appreciate how frustrating this must have been for you, given the work you would have put into preparing for your final exam.

I note you did not receive a call from the invigilator in response to the issues you were encountering. I am sorry no contact was made, this will be fed back to the relevant department. The expectation is certainly that an invigilator should call our student on the number they provide at the beginning of the exam, where issues occur.

I can confirm, and as mentioned by one of our Connect advisers Stephen, with whom you spoke with on the 7th, that you were given incorrect information with regards to being able to sit the AAA exam next week. As you stated, the exam timetable confirms this is not an option. I therefore apologise that you were given wrong information which ultimately led you to ending your exam despite having time remaining to try and complete it. Please be assured that this will be fed back to the relevant adviser.

I am also sorry that the level of service you received from ACCA was not to the standard you'd expect. We certainly want to ensure our students and members feel confident with any information provided to them by call or email. Again, this shall be fed back.
    I note you were not able to speak with a supervisor; this is mainly down to working from home due to the pandemic and so submitting the complaint was the right thing to.

I understand how this was you final exam and how disappointing it is. You do have the option of withdrawing from this exam and receiving a refund back into your myACCA account, which will allow you to rebook for the March session, should you wish. The quickest way to do this is using the contact us form on our website.

Alternatively, if you feel you have submitted enough exam content for it to be marked, then you can do this and apply for mitigating circumstances consideration via the 'My qualification' section of your myACCA account. Please note, when logging your complaint, space is limited and I would ask that you summarise your experience as concisely as possible. If you decide to do this, please do so be the deadline date of the 23rd of December, for the situation to be considered.

I am sorry I am unable to provide you with a more positive outcome at this time, but I hope the information I have provided clarifies matters for you.
    Following this response we now consider your complaint closed, if however, you have anything further you would like to raise please do not hesitate to contact us.
    ACCA does have a defined complaints escalation process for further review purposes if requested.

That is disgraceful.
    Shocking response. Just noted everything and closed the case without answering a thing.
    The kind of answers you might expect from a corner shop, actually no scratch that, a corner shop would give you better service.
    Really disappointing from the ACCA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

I qualified two years ago and the exams are hard enough without all this additional stress. I hope the ACCA show some sort of common sense with all of those who encounter these issues.

If it helps just keep going don't let these issues put you off. Best of luck to each and everyone of you in your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

After reading the atrocious carry on and awful treatment that some of you got from ACCA on RI - I was scared doing it this morning (PM) but thankfully no technical issues. And the invigilators were fine.
    I was doing mine on my wfh desk and used wifi - so I cleared my area as they ask for pictures of what's in front, behind and to the left & right of you.
    I did forget to take the drawer out of the desk and I was asked if there was one so I popped it out. Just happy I had no issues.
    Hope everyone else gets on well for the rest of the week - I have one more on Friday.

I received an email today from ACCA that they were unable to mark my exam due to the technical issues experienced. They have issued a credit so I can resit at a later date.

Really disappointing for this to happen with my final ACCA exam. I suppose they won't change things now. But really annoyed some others who have technical issues were allowed resit the next morning and others were not.

The company I am working is incredibly busy right now with long evening and weekend work.

I may have to push out this resit to June, which is dragging this out for another 6 months. Will need to have a think about it over the next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I received an email today from ACCA that they were unable to mark my exam due to the technical issues experienced. week.

That is very unfortunate, but realistically there was absolutely nothing ACCA could do, if your machine froze. All you can do is learn from the experience.

In any exercise where people are using there own devices there will always be a certain number of people who will experience a frozen device. The fact that it was not widely reported issue, means it was almost certainly your device that was at fault.

My advice to anyone taking exams like this is to have a freshly staged PC, with nothing on it but the required version of the operating system and the software for the exams, nothing else. This is how the system was tested, so if you do the same it will dramatically reduce the chance of having issues. It's not a 100%, but it is close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jim2007 wrote: »
    My advice to anyone taking exams like this is to have a freshly staged PC, with nothing on it but the required version of the operating system and the software for the exams, nothing else. This is how the system was tested, so if you do the same it will dramatically reduce the chance of having issues. It's not a 100%, but it is close.

so get a new pc only to be used for the exams and nothing else...... that is just a daft suggestion

anyway, what happens if the broadband freezes? not much good having a stand alone machine in that instance

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chirin

That's ridiculous, Marty. Really feel for you as it's a horrible position to be in. Jim is saying that there was nothing ACCA could do but the fact that they did do something for some students and not others is incredibly unprofessional. I don't think it was an issue with the device used. I read numerous comments about such issues (and experienced them myself).

Did you request an audit log of what happened from a system perspective? Were they able to see any of the exam you submitted?

Advertisement