Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family Occasions during restrictions

• 07-12-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone that has had an important family occasion or milestone birthday the last few months or coming soon whit did you do or have planned?

It’s my 30th Birthday in April 2021 and I want to mark it in a meaningful way as much as possible. Wouldn’t want a huge party even in normal times but just all my family together and some friends/work colleagues. Have people just sheltered planes for a year and had only more immediate family?
    I don’t mean to come across as selfish by the way, it’s a once off occasion and I want to mark it in some form, pariticularly having come out the other side of some health issues in recent years

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Managed to get a cake on my 60th a few weeks ago. Happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Beasty wrote: »
    Managed to get a cake on my 60th a few weeks ago. Happy enough with that

Did you have it with your children/grandchildren?

Gael23 wrote: »
    For anyone that has had an important family occasion or milestone birthday the last few months or coming soon whit did you do or have planned?

It’s my 30th Birthday in April 2021 and I want to mark it in a meaningful way as much as possible. Wouldn’t want a huge party even in normal times but just all my family together and some friends/work colleagues. Have people just sheltered planes for a year and had only more immediate family?
    I don’t mean to come across as selfish by the way, it’s a once off occasion and I want to mark it in some form, pariticularly having come out the other side of some health issues in recent years

Why not delay celebration for a couple of months and have an open air do?

Other once offs are 21st's. 40th's etc. All very worthy of celebration. I've missed funerals of 5 cousins due to Covid. Three family members have postponed their weddings, two have actually gone ahead and had small do's. Realistically, the number of people important to you, other than parents and siblings, are very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Wedding was planned for July but it’s now postponed until next July.

Other than that my dad’s milestone birthday didn’t happen, he had a major health scare earlier in the year so we’d planned something for him and a sibling’s wedding has also been delayed.

All can be rearranged and the important thing is that we can all get together safely in the future, it’s a small price to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Depending on what the covid figures/vaccination rollout are like by April, the people you invite will have mixed feelings about your party. Some might be delighted but there might be others who wish you hadn't invited them and may feel you have put them on the spot. Others might think you're a selfish ass for holding a party and they won't give a toss about your health issues. How many people do you intend to invite and what sort of venue?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did you have it with your children/grandchildren?

3 of my children are at school/college - yes they were here as the college is operating on a basis on 2 out of every 3 weeks they study remotely

No I didn't see my other child or grandchild

And I did miss my nephews wedding

That's the world we are currently living in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

My brother was 40 in August. He's in Melbourne. We just had a crappy Zoom call.

Why not delay celebration for a couple of months and have an open air do?

Other once offs are 21st's. 40th's etc. All very worthy of celebration. I've missed funerals of 5 cousins due to Covid. Three family members have postponed their weddings, two have actually gone ahead and had small do's. Realistically, the number of people important to you, other than parents and siblings, are very few.

Yes as I said I’m not talking huge numbers even in normal time’s. We have a small enough family and a few live abroad so would just be parents, grandparents 2 aunts and a few cousins that do live in Ireland then family friends and some work colleagues.
    I have been thinking of just going out for a nice meal to mark the day and then a bigger thing perhaps in the summer

Tork wrote: »
    Depending on what the covid figures/vaccination rollout are like by April, the people you invite will have mixed feelings about your party. Some might be delighted but there might be others who wish you hadn't invited them and may feel you have put them on the spot. Others might think you're a selfish ass for holding a party and they won't give a toss about your health issues. How many people do you intend to invite and what sort of venue?

Not huge, just family and some close family friends along with maybe a few work colleagues. I had my 21st at home and would be happy to do that again, depends on cost really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Yes as I said I’m not talking huge numbers even in normal time’s. We have a small enough family and a few live abroad so would just be parents, grandparents 2 aunts and a few cousins that do live in Ireland then family friends and some work colleagues.
    I have been thinking of just going out for a nice meal to mark the day and then a bigger thing perhaps in the summer

Sorry, but yourself in your age is highest possible spreader (the peak of cases was trending to be somewhat past 20, and 30 is close to that). I think you may be better to have a drink with friends of same age, but not involving parents or, even worse, grand parents who are much more vulnerable. Believe me, you will have many good occasions to celebrate with family after all this **** will finally end.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Wantedbymany

What is stopping you from having a good family get-together? Rules? Let me tell you what is happening right now with these ( rules ) they are rules not law never will be law they tried to give powers to gardi to enter any property they heard a noise that sounded like a gathering they weren't long about dropping that after the riots in dublin over it, have your party enjoy your family and friends best you can. I wouldn't be worried about anything

Unless you are dumb about this, you can easily have a party and not have the guards coming to the door. The question is what the people you care about will think. That's your judgement to make. Can you not hold off on the party until the summer and organise something outdoors then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My 50th birthday was in October. As I live alone I celebrated it with a group FaceTime with my family. I also treated myself to a lovely takeaway from Rolys Bistro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What is stopping you from having a good family get-together? Rules? Let me tell you what is happening right now with these ( rules ) they are rules not law never will be law they tried to give powers to gardi to enter any property they heard a noise that sounded like a gathering they weren't long about dropping that after the riots in dublin over it, have your party enjoy your family and friends best you can. I wouldn't be worried about anything

Right, because you, unlike everyone else, knows that there is no long term effect of having had this virus and you don't mind looking foolish by putting your health at risk, with the end game insight.

I don’t mean to come across as selfish by the way, it’s a once off occasion and I want to mark it in some form, particularly having come out the other side of some health issues in recent years

Do you really want your birthday to be remembered going forward as the day - "X caught the virus and died"....

We don't know what the long term impact of having had this virus might be - none, reduced life expectancy, on going health issues... so you take the minimum risks necessary not the maximum allowed.

Honestly, if you've over come serious health issues in recent times, there is no reason to put yourself at further risk, just for a birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Do you really want your birthday to be remembered going forward as the day - "X caught the virus and died"....

That's a crazy way to look on life. This idea that your sick until proven healthy has to end. It's completely incompatible with being human.

We rented out a sound system and lights set them up in a friends summer house (outdoors) for a big number birthday party his elderly parents came along, only rule was if anyone was sick to stay away. Great night had by all, nobody died or even got a sniffle.

Have your party Gael, keep sick people away, enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

skimpydoo wrote: »
    My 50th birthday was in October. As I live alone I celebrated it with a group FaceTime with my family. I also treated myself to a lovely takeaway from Rolys Bistro.

What food did you get :P

That's a crazy way to look on life. This idea that your sick until proven healthy has to end. It's completely incompatible with being human.

Nobody said that but you.

Try explaining yourself to a twelve year old:

"Yes, I knew we were within striking distance of a vaccine, but I went a head anyway and had a big party.... unfortunately I caught the virus and I did not know that it had long term impacts, so I just went for it....."

Taking risks for no good reason is not being human, it's being stupid.

I think April 2021 is a long way away yet.

Make tentative plans to have your outdoor party for the summer months and be content with that. Then, if it all looks good 2 weeks before your actual birthday, maybe book a family meal then.

Be prepared not to take offence if your invitation is declined, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jim2007 wrote: »
    "Yes, I knew we were within striking distance of a vaccine, but I went a head anyway and had a big party.... unfortunately I caught the virus and I did not know that it had long term impacts, so I just went for it....."

Taking risks for no good reason is not being human, it's being stupid.

What does the vaccine do for our current situation, it's not going to eradicate the virus, risk is always going to be there the same with any other resperatory virus. The flu kills 4 irish children every year we don't shut down society because of it. Covid hasn't claimed one life here under 12. The average age of people dying with this is to quote "in their late 80's"
    The average stay in a nursing home before passing away is 30mts.

People are more than capable of managing their own risk and should be give back that right. This is not the killer we thought it was and poses little risk to those who aren't already comprised with another serious condition.

I've no issues with quarantining sick people but these restrictions of healthy peoples lives needs to end.

How do you know who will and won't get very sick from this? I know a 40 year old who caught covid and had a rough time with it. He is fit, not carrying any weight and has no underlying conditions. He was in agony for days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think a lot of people, myself included, have had a Covid birthday at this stage! Mine was in May, so the restrictions were still pretty tight at the time. I just stayed in with my partner, who cooked me a meal and baked me a cake (it was very entertaining I have to say :P). I caught up with friends/family over zoom etc, but didn't meet up in person. I got a lot of presents delivered though, which was nice!

I saw plenty of people having small outdoor parties in parks over the summer. Depending on what the weather is like in April, that could be an option for you. Personally I wouldn't organise anything too elaborate atm (and these days a sit down meal is elaborate :rolleyes:). Maybe the situation will be a lot better in April, but you'd be better off waiting until closer to the time to see what the lay of the land is.

I know it's your birthday, but it is just a birthday. They come around every year for everyone, so it's not a once in a life-time occasion that people are going to prioritise. You can always have a big bash for your 31st instead the following year (you'd bloody hope everything will be back to normal by then!). There are more important events being missed than birthdays. I've already had to postpone my wedding and may need to postpone it again, along with countless others doing the same. There are far too many people who have missed funerals of loved ones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm just happy to be able to go out for a meal for my birthday - for once a December birthday is an advantage!
    And it's crazy that this is how it is at the moment - wow! I can go out for a meal on my birthday!

I'll do a small celebration with family but that will have to wait until closer to Christmas when it's allowed.

Mad world!

woodchuck wrote: »
    I think a lot of people, myself included, have had a Covid birthday at this stage! Mine was in May, so the restrictions were still pretty tight at the time. I just stayed in with my partner, who cooked me a meal and baked me a cake (it was very entertaining I have to say :P). I caught up with friends/family over zoom etc, but didn't meet up in person. I got a lot of presents delivered though, which was nice!

I saw plenty of people having small outdoor parties in parks over the summer. Depending on what the weather is like in April, that could be an option for you. Personally I wouldn't organise anything too elaborate atm (and these days a sit down meal is elaborate :rolleyes:). Maybe the situation will be a lot better in April, but you'd be better off waiting until closer to the time to see what the lay of the land is.

I know it's your birthday, but it is just a birthday. They come around every year for everyone, so it's not a once in a life-time occasion that people are going to prioritise. You can always have a big bash for your 31st instead the following year (you'd bloody hope everything will be back to normal by then!). There are more important events being missed than birthdays. I've already had to postpone my wedding and may need to postpone it again, along with countless others doing the same. There are far too many people who have missed funerals of loved ones.

I had one this year and we just got a takeaway with some trimmings that we wouldn’t get usually and a cake. If it wasn’t a milestone birthday I’d be more than happy to do that again, it didn’t bother me at all.

Do you know how the people you intend to invite feel about Covid? This birthday is obviously very important to you but nobody else will care particularly. It sounds a wee bit self obsessed tbh. Would it not be better to wait until more people are vaccinated, restrictions aren't needed and you can do this properly?

During the summer a family member had a birthday party which I went along to. It soon became obvious that they were acting as if there was no covid. There were too many people there, of all ages (more than we had been led to believe). No measures taken to space tables/chairs out or to move outside where they had no shortage of room. The weather was good at the time so it wouldn't have been an issue. It was enjoyable at the time because it was great to see everyone but afterwards, it made me stop and think.

Thankfully everybody was fine but a couple of family members privately expressed reservations about it afterwards. If one person there had had covid, many of us would have got it. That would have included people in their late 70s who had travelled thinking it was a small outdoor get together. I'm sure someone will come along to shriek fear/hysteria but I'm just making the point that people think differently about these sorts of events. I know that some family members have since cited covid restrictions as reasons not to visit this person but I have a feeling that's isn't strictly the case.

Be prepared not to take offence if your invitation is declined, though.

Yes, my daughter’s class were all for a class reunion party in May 2021, as it turned out all 23 declined the invitation! Which surprised me as they are all in their early 20s.

What does the vaccine do for our current situation, it's not going to eradicate the virus, risk is always going to be there the same with any other resperatory virus. The flu kills 4 irish children every year we don't shut down society because of it. Covid hasn't claimed one life here under 12. The average age of people dying with this is to quote "in their late 80's"
    The average stay in a nursing home before passing away is 30mts.

People are more than capable of managing their own risk and should be give back that right. This is not the killer we thought it was and poses little risk to those who aren't already comprised with another serious condition.

I've no issues with quarantining sick people but these restrictions of healthy peoples lives needs to end.

Except it’s not just your risk, it’s the risk you put everyone that comes in contact with you.

And you no more than anyone else has not got the foggiest idea as to what the consequences of having had this virus are because it has not been around long enough to allow us to draw any fact based conclusions.

Now I have no intention of responding further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I had a milestone birthday during the first lockdown, was planning to go on holidays for it. Instead we ordered afternoon tea for the 2 of us and then a takeaway in the evening. My husband has a milestone birthday coming up in a few days, we will get a meal for takeout from a local restaurant and also see his parents. We wouldn't be into big parties anyway so it doesn't really bother us that much. It's only a birthday, and we are adults after all. I think it's a bit reckless and inconsiderate to have a proper birthday party right now, just do it next year instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think it's a bit reckless and inconsiderate to have a proper birthday party right now, just do it next year instead.

It is next year - its April! What part of next year - May, July wait until December or even 2022??

Advertisement