Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ACCA exams at home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Seve OB wrote: »
    Jaysus, that is just ridiculous. You will be seeing people set up in En-Suites all over the place. hard to find a room with no windows

I think its more you cant have a window behind the laptop screen or wherever you webcam can't see, where they wouldn't be able to see someone potentially helping you during the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

No they definitely didn’t say it had to be a room with no windows. They did say the room had to have a door. I don’t remember them mentioning windows at all or having to have blinds closed. But I suppose it makes sense that they would want to be able to see the window. I think once you have your back to the window, it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Honestly once the windows can be covered with blinds and no one can distract you etc - and they advised you to lock your door if you can but if you can't that's ok - they just don't want someone barging in on you cos then the exam is void. These points are for you also. You can do the exam in any room, once no one will walk in on it.
    No excessive noise - cos the invigilator is listening and watching a few of us, so they need to be able to hear for anything odd - like if there is mad drilling outside your window but if the doorbell goes off, that is ok (just don't answer the door - or go for your "comfort break" at the same time).

Also, some of the old F subjects are being done on both weeks so if you have technical issues next week when doing the exam and the exam is on the following week, they will probably let you resit it the following week - F6, F7, F8 and F9 I think (not Tax)

Good luck everyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

I wonder why you cant take any of the P level exams the following week but you can take the F levels. Would be great to have that safety net. Im doing AAA and SBL so i wont be even able to wait and see if others have technical issues! Its definitely a bit stressful knowing something could go wrong that you have no control over and could result in having to wait three months to finish. I suppose it is much better than the alternative of the exams being completely cancelled. I think this is the case with the CFAs.

On the computer issue i was talking about earlier, i was in contact with the school I was doing lectures with today and tbh, they didnt know and basically said it would be at my own risk but if the software test worked fine then it should work fine on the day. She said that ACCA said that a 2.0 Ghz CPU was the minimum requirement though and because so many people will be using the system on the day, it could cause technical issues if your laptop has a processor with speeds below this. Not sure if that makes any sense but it feels like they are just covering themselves a bit in case something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

Is anyone planning on using a work computer/laptop for their exam?

I do not have a personal computer however, my work laptop passed the systems check so there doesn't seem to be an issue with firewalls etc. Have asked my IT department anyway about disabling the firewall but it cannot be done.

Curious if anyone in same situation

• Advertisement

I'm not but if it passed the test I don't see why it wouldn't work on the day. Saying that, I'd be wary as I think the examiner software has to be downloaded on the day also (could be wrong on this) so could be issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

salad_man wrote: »
    Is anyone planning on using a work computer/laptop for their exam?

I do not have a personal computer however, my work laptop passed the systems check so there doesn't seem to be an issue with firewalls etc. Have asked my IT department anyway about disabling the firewall but it cannot be done.

Curious if anyone in same situation

I did the checks using my work laptop initially and it failed the test so you should be ok.

Is anyone having trouble accessing the ACCA portal this morning? I’m just getting a message that my details can’t be accessed. Hoping it’s a site issue and not my laptop!

Mine is the same currently so it's not just you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Are the acca still persisting with non open book exams ? Such a nonsense at this level .

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are the acca still persisting with non open book exams ? Such a nonsense at this level .

Yes. Its surely something that they will have to look at given the roll out of remote examination. I think its reasonable to assume that cheating will increase in this sitting. We are allowed a 5 minute comfort break where we can leave the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shano_88 wrote: »
    Yes. Its surely something that they will have to look at given the roll out of remote examination. I think its reasonable to assume that cheating will increase in this sitting. We are allowed a 5 minute comfort break where we can leave the room.

Remote exams or not it’s a nonsense

No accountant in the world doesn’t check reference material when actually working .

Cyrus wrote: »
    Remote exams or not it’s a nonsense

No accountant in the world doesn’t check reference material when actually working .

I agree, learning stuff by rote is a pointless exercise. They should concentrate more on the application of knowledge. In my text book, there are a few CPA past questions (I think their exams are open book) the questions seem much more in depth and require much more analysis of the question and application of different rules. Makes much more sense.

Good luck to all doing exams next week.

I’m still not able to log into the MyACCA portal, has anyone managed it in the last 24 hours? We need to access the exams through the portal, is that correct?

It was working a half hour ago for me but down again now. I've an exam in a half hour and no idea what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Navy blue wrote: »
    I’m still not able to log into the MyACCA portal, has anyone managed it in the last 24 hours? We need to access the exams through the portal, is that correct?

Did you manage to get onto the My ACCA portal? My partner is trying and still can't.

Oh shano, that’s so unfair. My heart goes out to you.

Still no joy here, have been on hold to them for 40 mins at this stage. Can’t even get an email through to them.

I got through to them at last. They say they are aware of the IT issue and are hoping to have it sorted in the next couple of hours.

Shano, I asked about people who were due to sit exams today and she said they would be looking to reschedule for next week. Feel so sorry for everyone affected. Such an extra amount of stress you don't need.

Will be very nervous logging on in the morning

tried everything at this stage. On hold for 30 mins and was cut off. Tried sending a messge through their online messaging system and an error occured. This is ridiculous

• Advertisement

Navy blue wrote: »
    I got through to them at last. They say they are aware of the IT issue and are hoping to have it sorted in the next couple of hours.

Shano, I asked about people who were due to sit exams today and she said they would be looking to reschedule for next week. Feel so sorry for everyone affected. Such an extra amount of stress you don't need.

Will be very nervous logging on in the morning

What number did you ring out of interest?

What number did you ring out of interest?
    00 44 141 582 2000

Was on hold for about 45 mins. I was having issue sending a message as well, but got one through eventually. There's loads of people complaining on Twitter about it.

I'm not sure if there's any point ringing Shane. A lot of other people if not everyone sitting exams today are in the same position so at least it's not just an issue for yourself which would be more worrying.

It's such a mess by ACCA. Rescheduling to next week won't suit everyone as people may not any more annual leave left to take from work and people just want the exams over at this stage and forgotten about.

just off the phone there and he advised me if i missed my exam then ill get my money back but as its a professional exam i wont be able to redo until March. A joke of a professional organisation.

I have another exam tomorrow and barely see the point for preparing for it at this stage.

just off the phone there and he advised me if i missed my exam then ill get my money back but as its a professional exam i wont be able to redo until March. A joke of a professional organisation.

I have another exam tomorrow and barely see the point for preparing for it at this stage.
    March :eek: I thought next week was bad enough! Doesn't fill you with confidence that they have the infrastructure in place have all the exams remotely. Fingers crossed they can sort the issue today and we can sit our exams tomorrow. But it's certainly less than ideal preparation, sitting worrying about it all day. The issue is ongoing since yesterday, why didn't they send an email out to everyone or put a message on their website?

Jesus that is shocking from ACCA. Partner is going to be in same situation as she was due to do a professional exam this morning. It's very unfair on ye.

Klonker wrote: »
    Jesus that is shocking from ACCA. Partner is going to be in same situation as she was due to do a professional exam this morning. It's very unfair on ye.

Im hoping if enough people complain that it can be rescheduled for next week. Its not an acceptable solution for people.

The silence from ACCA is ridiculous also. The stress levels this is causing people and no communication whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Liverpool2014

Guys, just tried to login myacca portal and it appears to be working now. My partner has her exam tomorrow so fingers crossed.

I don't think anyone will have any confidence that the exact same thing won't happen tomorrow

• Advertisement

Its still not working for me. Id have no confidence that this will be solved by tomorrow either.

Advertisement