Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The disabled just staying home when they cannot mask up

• 07-12-2020 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

I have breathing problems and a hidden disability.
    I am being banned from discussing the subject here and infracted a number of times.

Here is what is happing with me and many others with hidden disabilities.

We are staying home the stress of being challenged is not worth it.

I put up a bit of bravado here but in all honesty I feel trapped at home.

I like many others CANNOT wear a face covering it is not a case of not wanting to wear such.
    Since mask became mandatory I have not been on public transport or in a taxi.

I have stated here the rules on exemptions but the 100% honest truth is that I am too timid in person to push them instead I stay home a lot.

I have one local supermarket that knows my situation but even then more than half the time I avoid doing the weekly shop and let somebody else do it just to avoid the hassle and the stares.

There are people who cannot wear a face covering and there is a lawful mask exemption but I don't feel at ease using it.

There is the online world and there is the real world.

If my posts have come off in the wrong way I apologise but the reality is a lot of people who are covered with exemptions will not use them and instead just hide in their houses.

I am not trolling and while I might feel ok speaking back to people here in person I am not anything like that.

I don't really care that much about myself but there are others and I know some of them who are just trapped in their homes afraid to go out incase they are confronted or face abuse.

I don't doubt there are people who abuse the exemption rules but there are also genuine people who are too nervous to use the exemption.

When I post here I try to adopt a persona as I don't want to get too personal.
    Saying how I would act in public when confronted is something that runs through my thoughts but not something that I could do in reality.

I like many others pose very little danger to others as our group of close contacts is very small.

Any thread I have posted in has been hypothetical and the real reason for my anger with the whole masks subject is I feel trapped at home and I am not the only one.

I cannot wear a mask and rather than face confrontation or hassle I just stay home.

Many people that are genuinely exempt from wearing a face covering are not faking it.
    Is staying at home and avoiding everywhere part of the faking too?

In the past few weeks, Paul Feeley has been abused four times for not wearing a mask on public transport. “I have a disability lanyard, which signifies I have a hidden disability. I tried to show it … And all I got back was a complete torrent of abuse.”

The most recent incident took place just after he first spoke to the Observer on Thursday. The abuse has made Feeley, who suffers from fibromyalgia, borderline personality disorder and panic attacks, feel “extraordinarily angry, anxious and upset”. He is unable to wear a face covering due to his medical conditions, and legally he is exempt – but he is now worried about travelling on buses and trams in his home town of Manchester. “One man said to me, ‘If you can’t wear a mask, you shouldn’t be allowed out.’”

Incidents of “mask rage” are making disabled people who are unable to wear a covering fearful of going out in public, charities warn, as they call on the government today to raise awareness about the legitimate reasons many people cannot wear them.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/01/mask-face-coverings-i-cant-wear-one-health-reasons
    Shirley Anne Somerville, secretary for social security and older people said: “Everyone who can do so is legally obliged to wear a face covering where it is mandated by law. But there are some people who cannot, due to health conditions, disabilities or other special circumstances where a face covering may cause difficulty or distress.

“Discrimination against people in this situation is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
    https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/face-mask-exemption-cards-launched-tackle-abuse-3018683

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

In before the lockdown😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

In before the lockdown����

It is attitudes like this that get to me.

People saying we should just stay home guess what that is what we do and I find that degrading to admit.
    There is a clear exemption there and people are afraid to use it.

I have used this discussion forum as a sounding board there is no way I would want to run into a real confrontation out in public.

The level of ignorance on hidden disabilities here is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

With attitudes like yours around, you'll be cinemaguy65 before you can go see a movie again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I like many others CANNOT wear a face covering it is not a case of not wanting to wear such.
    Since mask became mandatory I have not been on public transport or in a taxi.
    Are you able to wear the plastic face shields?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I work in a medical area and wear ppe all the time.
    I also wear my mask in shops etc as necessary.

While I've no issue wearing one, I have enough coo on to accept that some don't want to wear them, and some can't for various reasons.

I'm mature enough to go about my business and I don't imagine for one second that I'm at risk just because I come upon someone mask less.

People should, imo, mind their own business.
    Op, you shouldn't have to explain yourself to every bosy parker that questions you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

There was a young lady on an rte program a couple of months ago. She had a severe form of asthma. A severe form of asthma didn't stop her from wearing a mask. So I believe these mask exemptions are made up by alot of people.

As someone who feels they have to stay as locked down as possible due to others not wearing masks or conforming to restrictions, I can empathise with that part of your post, and the frustration you feel.

However, I also understand what its like to have a hidden disability, as my daughter has a hidden disability.

All I can say is, while I have seen people out and about not wearing masks, and wonder at their reason from not wearing one, I would not confront them, I would just avoid them. Nor have I seen anyone being confronted for not wearing a mask.

Anyone I have felt like confronting are those who are wearing masks incorrectly, as opposed to not at all.

With attitudes like yours around, you'll be cinemaguy65 before you can go see a movie again.

I tried to argue the actual rules and exemptions but I was jumped on time and time again.

The actual reality is I avoid going everywhere now I did not feel obliged to admit this on the board.

The whole situation we are in now is just nasty and if I am banned of boards it will be no worse than being stuck in the house.

Shame on boards and many other media outlets for not bringing this issue to the attention of the public.

I have never been to an anti water or anti mask protest or any other protest for that matter.

I tired a mask and I had to leave the shop.

I feel ashamed to admit I just stay at home now I avoid going anywhere.

There are many people that are exempt yet we avoid going anywhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You have posted claiming not to be trolling, yet then given a pretty much perfect description of trolling in how you have been posting on various threads. Whilst we could have sympathy for the situation that the real life person that you've now described finds themselves in, the character of Cinemaguy45 you've presented doesn't seem to be worthy of much.

Maybe try being a bit more honest in your posting and you'll get a better response. Making up imagined situations and then being surprised when holes are discovered in your stories is probably not the best way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

After seeing the OP post several times giving out about face nappies and generally posting quasi conspiracy theory nonsense about the pandemic, I'm inclined to not believe a word he writes in the first post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

You said in your other post that once somebody states they have an exemption by law that is the end of the matter and that nobody has a right to ask the nature of the exemption even the guards.

I can legally drive a car, I have a license. Does that mean I don't have to produce my license and they should just take my word for it?

Shops asking for ID, it should be enough to tell them I'm over the age of 18. Except it's not enough and need proof.

Asking for proof makes things safer. And it should be the same with masks.

robinph wrote: »
    You have posted claiming not to be trolling, yet then given a pretty much perfect description of trolling in how you have been posting on various threads. Whilst we could have sympathy for the situation that the real life person that you've now described finds themselves in, the character of Cinemaguy45 you've presented doesn't seem to be worthy of much.

Maybe try being a bit more honest in your posting and you'll get a better response. Making up imagined situations and then being surprised when holes are discovered in your stories is probably not the best way forward.

I am sorry about that.

Getting too honest or personal just makes me a bit nervous.

Right being honest I am not that interesting and the Cinemaguy personality is just a front.

I against the face coverings because I cannot wear the things and I have tried anything I post on here with false bravado is just that.

All my arguments on mask has been here I am somebody who avoids confrontation.

If I get pushed around I will spend ages thinking about what I should have said but never do.

Many of the anti mask brigade are assholes which does not help.

I don't know what the solution is but some people simply cannot wear makes and the solution for many thus far has been to hide at home.
    Apart from my venting on here I have avoided any and all confrontations while out.

I did mention one supermarket knows of my situation but even then I don't like going to often and I try and pick a time when the shop is mostly empty.

I feel this situation is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I have breathing problems and a hidden disability.
    I am being banned from discussing the subject here and infracted a number of times.

Here is what is happing with me and many others with hidden disabilities.

Given that you are someone with an underlying respiratory condition and given that masks have been proven to limit the spread of a disease which causes sever strain on the respiratory system, I don't understand why you would want to argue in any way that they would not be worn.

People doing so are likely to reduce the risk of you catching a disease which could be fatal to you.

Leaving all that aside, do you not feel any obligation to either stay at home or to wear a mask or a shield on the off chance that you are an asymptomatic infected person and could be putting others at risk through your not wearing them.

Given that you are someone with an underlying respiratory condition and given that masks have been proven to limit the spread of a disease which causes sever strain on the respiratory system, I don't understand why you would want to argue in any way that they would not be worn.

People doing so are likely to reduce the risk of you catching a disease which could be fatal to you.

Leaving all that aside, do you not feel any obligation to either stay at home or to wear a mask or a shield on the off chance that you are an asymptomatic infected person and could be putting others at risk through your not wearing them.

I cannot physically tolerate sensation and if I catch something that impacts my breathing I am not going to be in very good shape it not something I like to think about too be honest.

And I am not taking risks like I said I am mostly staying home.

After seeing the OP post several times giving out about face nappies and generally posting quasi conspiracy theory nonsense about the pandemic, I'm inclined to not believe a word he writes in the first post.

I am sorry for the face nappies comments.

Here is my situation I cannot manage to wear a mask and I am not alone in this.

Saying at home feels like not living just existing.

I know their is a virus and it is worse for some people and I am guessing I might be in the at risk category but I am not trying to be flippant but it should be my risk to take.

I have suffered a number of chest infections and they have hit me hard but I just find the panic about covid too much.

Right now I feel trapped and I feel the risk of living my life is worth it I just feel uneasy about other peoples reactions.

Yes I have breathing problems and this is not the main reason I cannot wear a mask.

But right now I am more nervous about other peoples reactions than I am about catching covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I am sorry for the face nappies comments.

Here is my situation I cannot manage to wear a mask and I am not alone in this.

Saying at home feels like not living just existing.

I know their is a virus and it is worse for some people and I am guessing I might be in the at risk category but I am not trying to be flippant but it should be my risk to take.

I have suffered a number of chest infections and they have hit me hard but I just find the panic about covid too much.

Right now I feel trapped and I feel the risk of living my life is worth it I just feel uneasy about other peoples reactions.

Yes I have breathing problems and this is not the main reason I cannot wear a mask.

But right now I am more nervous about other peoples reactions than I am about catching covid.
    https://tenor.com/v9r3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Boards can do anything it likes as long as its legal.
    Its their forum. Their rules.
    If they wanted to ban anyone talking about snow they could.

Then wheres the issue. Lots of people are staying at home.

I...
    Saying at home feels like not living just existing.....

You don't have to stay at home. You're allowed to go all over your county.

beauf wrote: »
    Boards can do anything it likes as long as its legal.
    Its their forum. Their rules.
    If they wanted to ban anyone talking about snow they could.

Then wheres the issue. Lots of people are staying at home.

People that are not unable to wear a mask and thus not legally obliged still feel like they cannot even quickly pop into shop forget the idea of even trying to use public transport.

The issue is these people have committed no crimes maybe a bit of understanding and common sense and discretion so be shown?

It's not like they are going to want to hang around too long anyway the way things are.

You don't have to stay at home. You're allowed to go all over your county.

Not a word of a lie I have not been more than ten miles from my home since March.

We are on level 3 right now are we not meant to stay in our own county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I against the face coverings because I cannot wear the things and I have tried anything I post on here with false bravado is just that.

It is one thing to not be able to wear a mask but to be against them because you cannot wear them is insane.

I am the one in a million who is allergic to polio vaccine, should I be against vaccines. No I realise the value they have and their benefits.

People that are not unable to wear a mask and thus not legally obliged still feel like they cannot even quickly pop into shop forget the idea of even trying to use public transport.

The issue is these people have committed no crimes maybe a bit of understanding and common sense and discretion so be shown?

It's not like they are going to want to hang around too long anyway the way things are.

If you have a car, public transport isn't an issue.
    You don't need to "pop" down to the shop. Problem solved.

Not a word of a lie I have not been more than ten miles from my home since March.

We are on level 3 right now are we not meant to stay in our own county?

...and wheres the problem in that?

khalessi wrote: »
    It is one thing to not be able to wear a mask but to be against them becuase you cannot wear them is insane.

I am the one in a million who is allergic to polio vaccine, should I be against vaccines. N, oI realise the value they have and their benefits.

Maybe I should rephrase I just wish this whole situation was gone.

The whole issue of masks seems to have become political.

Communication is something I struggle with instead on saying I am against masks what I should be saying is this whole situation is awkward for me and want 2019 back.

I am against the overly strict with no exceptions mask rules or perceived because it messes my life up.

.... I just wish this whole situation was gone......d because it messes my life up.

Messed up everyone's life. Nothing special about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Why don't you wear a face shield OP?

Maybe I should rephrase I just wish this whole situation was gone.

The whole issue of masks seems to have become political.

Communication is something I struggle with instead on saying I am against masks what I should be saying is this whole situation is awkward for me and want 2019 back.

I am against the overly strict with no exceptions mask rules or perceived because it messes my life up.

Im being nosey, so forgive me but what respiratory condition do you have that prevents mask wearing?

khalessi wrote: »
    Im being nosey, so forgive me but what respiratory condition do you have that prevents mask wearing?

The thread title is disabled, so I assume take him a his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Where would you go if you could wear a mask? I wear a mask doing the weekly shop. Apart from that I never wear one because I work from home and only meet family and friends for walks outdoors. You can do your shopping in your local shop that knows your situation. Seems sensible to do it at a quiet time too, and remember people may expect you to give them more space to avoid putting them at risk if you are mask less. Covid anxiety is real and people are trying to protect their health. Where else are you so keen to go that needs a mask?

• Advertisement

The thread title is disabled, so I assume take him a his word.

He can always pm me if he doesnt want to say online, Was just being nosey the nurse side of me, always looking for solutions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement