Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mask exemptions and the law

• 06-12-2020 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

I am one of many people exempt from wearing a face covering.

Let me also state I am a skeptic of the current reaction to the Covid situation but that does not alter the fact that I and many other are exempt.

Children and those who fall into certain categories are not required to wear a face covering.

Refusing service to people who are not required to wear a face covering is breaking the law.

I have seen it on this board many times that a business can refuse service and yes this is true but if they do it on the grounds of illegal discrimination they are breaking the law and they can be sued for damages.

Businesses can encourage the use of face coverings but once somebody states they have an exemption by law that is the end of the matter.

NOBODY has a right to ask the nature of an exemption including the Guards.

I have had it with the mask Nazis it has put me off going out anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Job done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Comments like this make me doubt the legitimacy of your "exemption".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You made it perfectly clear on the Masks thread that you wouldn't wear a mask regardless of any medical exemption, so you can stop hiding behind that excuse.
    But you've sorted it - don't go out and there's no issue.
    Bye now....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I have seen it on this board many times that a business can refuse service and yes this is true but if they do it on the grounds of illegal discrimination they are breaking the law and they can be sued for damages.
    Which law are they breaking? You seem well read up on it, so you should be able to provide it easily

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I love how you've not even touched on what or how you're supposedly "exempt" from wearing a mask.. .. So many people 'claim' to be, yet I've yet to actually hear a single legitimate reason behind it. This, certainly doesn't seem like it's going to break that streak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

jaxxx wrote: »
    I love how you've not even touched on what or how you're supposedly "exempt" from wearing a mask.. .. So many people 'claim' to be, yet I've yet to actually hear a single legitimate reason behind it. This, certainly doesn't seem like it's going to break that streak.

Because it is 100% none of your buisness that's why.

That is the problem people need to mind their own business.

The law is clear.

From the HSE website all YOU need to know and understand.
    Who should not wear a face covering

Face coverings are not recommended for anyone who:

has trouble breathing
    is unconscious or incapacitated
    is unable to remove it without help
    has special needs and who may feel upset or very uncomfortable wearing them
    needs to communicate with someone who has learning difficulties, is hard of hearing or deaf
    In these cases, if the person can wear a visor, it will give them some protection. But these are the only times when you should wear a visor. Cloth face coverings are a better way to protect yourself from COVID-19.

Read more about visors and face shields

Exemption letters

Some workplaces or schools may ask for a medical certificate. But in general, you do not need to ask for a letter from a GP about your reason for not wearing a face covering.

Refusing service to people who are not required to wear a face covering is breaking the law.

Which law are they breaking?
    On what grounds would it be discrimination?

The law is clear.

I'm sure you will have no bother sharing that law with us then.

Sidenote: I'm lying, I'm absolutely certain there will be extreme bother with sharing that law with us.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm sure you will have no bother sharing that law with us then.

Sidenote: I'm lying, I'm absolutely certain there will be extreme bother with sharing that law with us.

The Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 ('the Acts') prohibit discrimination in the provision of goods and services, accommodation and education. They cover the nine grounds of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I saw an absolute scumbag of a human being screaming at a poor McDonalds staff member checking folks for masks.

'How dare you ask me! I have a medical exemption!'

'can you show me proof of your exemption sir?'

'How dare you ask me that! That is a violation of GDPR! That is illegal!'

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Because it is 100% none of your buisness that's why.

That is the problem people need to mind their own business.

The law is clear.

From the HSE website all YOU need to know and understand.
    What's clear is you're talking out of the south pole. But then again that's nothing new with you lot.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I saw an absolute scumbag of a human being screaming at a poor McDonalds staff member checking folks for masks.

'How dare you ask me! I have a medical exemption!'

'can you show me proof of your exemption sir?'

'How dare you ask me that! That is a violation of GDPR! That is illegal!'

The bit in bold is 100% correct.

CinemaGuy which part of "gender, marital status, family status, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community" in the Equal Status Act do you think mask wearing comes under?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 ('the Acts') prohibit discrimination in the provision of goods and services, accommodation and education. They cover the nine grounds of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.

Which category does the mask stuff fit into?

As if further proof was needed of the 'south pole talking'.. .. ..

What section of GDPR does in contravene?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Laughable. GDPR doesn't come anywhere near it.

Master of the Universe

It's actually not and just goes to show how much you know about GDPR.

You're not being discriminated against by the way, just put a mask on and you can go in, nobody is stopping you.

You're the one making the decision not to go in by not wearing the mask.

As if further proof was needed of the 'south pole talking'.. .. ..

Are you a child have you got a mental problem?

I won't be replying to you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Stay home then please.

My elderly mother who has a serious cardiac problem can wear hers.

But then, she isn't unconscious and and is most definitely not intellectually impaired.

• Advertisement

Let me also state I am a skeptic of the current reaction to the Covid situation but that does not alter the fact that I and many other are exempt.

Children and those who fall into certain categories are not required to wear a face covering.

Businesses can encourage the use of face coverings but once somebody states they have an exemption by law that is the end of the matter.

NOBODY has a right to ask the nature of an exemption including the Guards.

I wear my mask to protect YOU. You should return the favour.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Which category does the mask stuff fit into?
    Hmm. Could a case be made for 'conspiracy' under religion? I mean, on the face of it they're 2 separate things entirely but.. .. I certainly don't see it fitting in anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a tough one for an adult who's exempt to wear a mask for medical reasons to head out to the shops without one. There's going to be conflict.

I know lots of people with various ailments from asthma to lung problems and a few with serious illnesses that wear them, my mother included. But I don't know any that can't actually wear a mask over their mouth and nose.

Can I ask what illness you have that prevents you from wearing one?

I presume your questionable attitude to the people enforcing it for their own safety that (in fairness) has manifested from you not being able to wear one and getting grief. It would shed more light on your post and stop posters questioning the legitimacy of your claims.

Says the one who claims GDPR in relation to being asked why you're not wearing a mask.. .. ..

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's a tough one for an adult who's exempt to wear a mask for medical reasons to head out to the shops without one. There's going to be conflict.

I know lots of people with various ailments from asthma to lung problems and a few with serious illnesses that wear them, my mother included. But I don't know any that can't actually wear a mask over their mouth and nose.

I presume your questionable attitude to the people enforcing it for their own safety that (in fairness) has manifested from you not being able to wear one and getting grief. It would shed more light on your post and stop posters questioning the legitimacy of your claims.

I don't have to prove anything.

But yes I 100% can not wear a mask and yes I have tried.

Lucky guy, getting a response from you exemption.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've no problem with that, there are a lot of people who have genuine reasons for having exemptions. However, if someone is going to claim an exemption they should be required to produce a letter from their GP confirming this. The letter doesn't need to state the reason for the exemption, simply that in their opinion as a medical professional the bearer of the letter should not be required to wear a mask. That then separates those who have legitimate reasons for not wearing masks from the dickheads who scream about their rights being violated or the loons who believe that Covid is being spread by 5G masts.

Master of the Universe

John_Rambo wrote: »

I remember someone with a similar arguement saying it was down to anxiety they had while wearing a mask. Made it impossible to wear one.

Rather than trying to overcome their anxiety in a bid to keep everyone safe, they decided that no, it was them being discriminated against for not being allowed to go mask less so they'd make it everyone else's problem.

That's literally the only reason I can think for someone not being able to wear one. Aside from actually having to wear some kind of breathing apparatus that would interfere with a mask.

I don't have to prove anything.

Unfortunately, in some circumstances you kinda do.
    Wearing masks on public transport and certain retail outlets, is mandatory.
    Fines on the spot are being introduced, if you do not wish to get such a fine, then you will have to satisfy a member of An Garda Siochana as to your exemption.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    I've no problem with that, there are a lot of people who have genuine reasons, for having exemptions. However, if someone is going to claim an exemption they should be required to produce a letter from their GP confirming this. The letter doesn't need to state the reason for the exemption, simply that in their opinion as a medical professional the bearer of the letter should not be required to wear a mask. That then separates those who have legitimate reasons for not wearing masks from the dickheads who scream about their rights being violated or the loons who believe that Covid is being spread by 5G masts.

There is no requirement under the guidelines for the bit in bold.

That bit would keep you happy but loads of dickheads would be demanding something else.

How about just obeying and accepting the guidelines that are in place?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement