Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Games Administration meeting tonight to consider Mayos request...

• 06-12-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

To play the decider in Castlebar. In a parallel universe, how would such a request be treated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

6.31 The All-Ireland Senior Finals shall be played in Croke Park.

Forget a Games Administration meeting, you'd need a full Central Council meeting and a two thirds majority to overturn that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It'd probably save the GAA a pile of money, given there'll be no crowd. There's no logical reason not to, except "Croker" and "Dublin " and "tradition."

It'll never happen of course

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

It'd probably save the GAA a pile of money, given there'll be no crowd. There's no logical reason not to, except "Croker" and "Dublin " and "tradition."

It'll never happen of course

Its called the Official Guide Part I - i.e. the rulebook

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can we just close this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Its called the Official Guide Part I - i.e. the rulebook

Of course. I don't know what the Mayo argument will be, but the rulebook didn't take empty stadia and losing money into account. It's more.of a thought experiment than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

These are exceptional circumstances. I have read that the first 25,000 people in the gates cover the operating costs of opening croker for an all Ireland final. GAA are sitting on massive losses for the year. Why is it such a ludicrous idea to limit losses? Lots of businness are doing mad stuff like that now in order to come out at the other end of this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

These are exceptional circumstances. I have read that the first 25,000 people in the gates cover the operating costs of opening croker for an all Ireland final.

And do you not think the operating costs are affected at all by having no crowds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

To play the decider in Castlebar. In a parallel universe, how would such a request be treated?

In fairness I don't think Dublin would have a problem with that. I think the last time we lost there was 07!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Amirani wrote: »
    And do you not think the operating costs are affected at all by having no crowds?

Didn't say it would cost the same to open croker with no crowd as it would with 85,000 in it. Botton line is castlebar would save the gaa money. Fact that this is nothing more than a joke thread and final in castlebar is laughable to the gaa top brass makes nonsense of the argument that is always used that gaa needs the big crowds revenue that croker brings. I didnt realise that its written in stone that final must be played in croker. Seems a bit foolish for any business to leave themselves with a single point of failure given the multitude of options at their disposal for a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

Closing this thread.

I point you in the direction of the following thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890333

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement