Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

• 04-12-2020 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

You know the drill, serious stuff goes in the appropriate thread, non-serious stuff goes here.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Don't leave a brother hanging here.

So, what are we drinking tonight? Myself, Blue Spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had sinus surgery this week so can't really smell anything but hot jameson tasting pretty good still.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had sinus surgery this week so can't really smell anything but hot jameson tasting pretty good still.

Ouch. Sounds sore.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ouch. Sounds sore.

Not too bad thankfully. Have painkillers there but sure whiskey is just as good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I actually have a mouth ulcer all week that has made whisky drinking more pain than pleasure...

I get them if rundown / stressed.

• Advertisement

I actually have a mouth ulcer all week that has made whisky drinking more pain than pleasure...

I get them a bit too. Chlorhexidine mouthwash has been a real benefit.

I had a bottle of cheap'n'nasty Aldi 8 year old whiskey for that purpose. Rumours that herself used said whiskey for cleaning her jewelry have as yet been proven untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Extra cloves in the hot whiskey indicated.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mouth ulcers are an absolute bastard!

I'm trying to behave tonight because I'm planning to run 21.1 km in the morning. I'll make up for it in style tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hit a new PB for the half marathon, so I'm after knocking back a lovely can of chocolate orange stout! Quick nap now, then back up for the United match and hopefully a can of Locavore stout. And Ireland had a decent second half in the rugby. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Invincible

Get TCP and dilute as mouthwash, seldom time I've had one, it cures it rapidly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It has resolved itself. Thank you for the sympathy all!

Bloody glad I bought a Didrikson parka and a lambswool hat in Black Friday sales this year... -1.5 on the sidelines of my kids' sports training this morning. Some of them had a bit of a thousand yard stare as they came off afterwards, their little fingers like mini icicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Michael Strahan putting Cazale to shame:

535616.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I used to get mouth ulcers a lot. If they're on the bottom jaw, you can try this:

Tip half a teaspoon of salt over it.

Then get something quick to bite down on, cause the PAIN... :eek:

Leave for 30 seconds or as long as you can stand then rinse out.

Hurts like hell but the salt draws all the bad stuff out and it heals faster.

Incidentally since I started using electric tootbrushes nearly ten years ago, not one mouth ulcer.

I also read in a Lonely Planet book once that when you're away from medical help in the middle of nowhere and have a dental problem, swooshing around a mouthful of whiskey or whatever spirit will numb the pain, then swallowing it will numb it a bit more :D

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

I am seeing an ad on Boards.ie at the moment.

Jameson
    Distillery
    Bow Street
    Buy Now

And I'm thinking... how much for the Distillery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I used to get mouth ulcers a lot. If they're on the bottom jaw, you can try this:

Incidentally since I started using electric tootbrushes nearly ten years ago, not one mouth ulcer.

I also read in a Lonely Planet book once that when you're away from medical help in the middle of nowhere and have a dental problem, swooshing around a mouthful of whiskey or whatever spirit will numb the pain, then swallowing it will numb it a bit more :D

Electric toothbrush was a game-changer for me on the mouth ulcer front as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Hmmm.. prevention is better than.. falls off stoll

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Maybe a stupid question but can I bring an empty growler back to a place I didn't get it from?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Maybe a stupid question but can I bring an empty growler back to a place I didn't get it from?
    Each place has their own rules on this, though I doubt many will turn away business at the moment. If it matches their own in size and shape it's probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

even if it doesn't they'll probably work out a price based on the size

• Advertisement

Got a hamper from work which includes some Cahills Irish Porter Cheese. I'm guessing it's actually made with stout though.

cheese.jpg

Anyone got any favourite beer and cheese pairings?

If alcohol and cheese pairings are allowed... Wensleydale and red wine from south of France works for me.
    And at this time of year its colours take on a festive hue from the cranberries.

And the obvious ale and white cheddar... and cheese and onion crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

irish_goat wrote: »
    Got a hamper from work which includes some Cahills Irish Porter Cheese. I'm guessing it's actually made with stout though.

cheese.jpg

:(

There'd be uproar if my employer so much as festively farted in my general direction.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

:(
    There'd be uproar if my employer so much as festively farted in my general direction.

I thought more places would do hampers and stuff as no christmas party on.

We got a hamper, all ambient stuff, no cheese but contained biscuit crackers.
    Some nice wines, whiskey, chutney, chocs, biscuits, honey and christmas crackers.

OH could pick from a registry of different gifts, up to about €50, knick knacks, kitchen stuff, some jewellery... and a mixed case of nice wines.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just Eat vouchers for us, which is preferable to what I worried it would be - the same rancid petrol station wine we give to clients!

No booze in our hamper unfortunately, just some cheese, biscuits, crackers, chutney and honeycomb. Teasingly it was put together by The Good Food and Wine Company so they could have definitely threw in some wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

We had a choice of Beer/Wine/Cocktail Hamper and a Justeat voucher. I obviously went with the Beer one, Wicklow Wolf with a selection from their core range and a nice glass.

I would imagine Food/Drink Hamper sales were through the roof this year! No Christmas parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Generous one for all vouchers for us.

Hamper idea was floated but really, everyone prefers cash (voucher)!
    With hampers, I always end up trying to find homes for half the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I find it mildly amusing that this Diageo brewer who works in their innovation department openly admits never having had an interest in brewing until getting the job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I find it mildly amusing that this Diageo brewer who works in their innovation department openly admits never having had an interest in brewing until getting the job
    She may not have got the job if she did: I get the impression that they like their brewers trained The Diageo Way from the start, rather than coming from Lesser Breweries with Inferior Practices. The original figurehead brewer for Open Gate was a rare example of them recruiting from outside, I guess as a way of trying to connect to the wider world of microbrewing. But when he decided The Diageo Way wasn't for him, and left, they didn't attempt to repeat the experiment and just got someone internally to do the job.

As breweries go, it is a weird company.

Advertisement