Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warner bros releasing it's entire 2021 schedule on HBO MAX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Wowser. I presume it’s a separate streaming service, in other words separate payment? Or can you get HBO max as part of something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wowser. I presume it’s a separate streaming service, in other words separate payment? Or can you get HBO max as part of something else?

https://www.hbomax.com/
    Not available here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

peteeeed wrote: »
    https://www.hbomax.com/
    Not available here

Yes instead we get Sky, a completely watered down version at multiple times the price

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭tom1ie

Dune, The Matrix 4, Mortal Kombat Coming to HBO Max Along with Entire WB 2021 Slate
    Its an unprecedented move for a hybrid theatrical and streaming model.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-the-matrix-4-mortal-kombat-coming-to-hbo-max-along-with-entire-wb-2021-slate

The matrix 4?!
    Hadn’t heard of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems a high risk move , those high profile films will be pirated and available on the web the same day as released in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

HBO Max is the steaming service. And unlike the Disney move, HBO won't be charging extra.

It is a risky move because, as said, they'll be pirated right away. But I guess with some of those films at least, they would be better experienced on the big screen

CastorTroy wrote: »
    HBO Max is the steaming service. And unlike the Disney move, HBO won't be charging extra.

It is a risky move because, as said, they'll be pirated right away. But I guess with some of those films at least, they would be better experienced on the big screen

HBO is more than twice the price of Disney and most other streaming services so you could say they are already changing extra.

HBO Max $15

Disney $6.99

Netflix $8.99

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I wonder what they will do outside the US. Once they are shown on HBO Max they will quickly appear on the "alternative channels" so likely taking a big bite out cinema ticket income worldwide.

Could this be the beginning of the end of cinemas as we know them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

HBO are presumedly paying Warners so much money that they don't mind too much if everyone pirates the films 5 minutes after they are released.

Unless the pendulum swings back hard, this bodes very bad for the future of film theatres outside big urban areas.

• Advertisement

HBO are presumedly paying Warners so much money that they don't mind too much if everyone pirates the films 5 minutes after they are released.

Unless the pendulum swings back hard, this bodes very bad for the future of film theatres outside big urban areas.

They are both owned by AT&T so a bit of in house accountancy probably going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Give the value of foreign markets these days, you'd wonder if the inevitable piracy was part of the equation, hoping that some international box office being better than none. Cos these are all highly anticipated films - they're going to be pirated up the wazoo.

Then again, maybe this might save the cinema in the long run. That they'll swing back to being more niche venues, than basically the theme park rides they are via blockbuster dominance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Wonder Woman 1984 (December 25, 2020)
    • The Little Things (January 29, 2021)
    • Tom & Jerry (March 5, 2021)
    • The Many Saints of Newark (March 12, 2021)
    • Reminiscence (April 16, 2021)
    • Godzilla vs. Kong (May 21, 2021)
    • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4, 2021)
    • In the Heights (June 18, 2021)
    • Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16, 2021)
    • The Suicide Squad (August 6, 2021)
    • Dune (October 1, 2021)
    • Elvis (November 5, 2021)
    • King Richard (November 19, 2021)
    • The Matrix 4 (December 22, 2021)
    • Sherlock Holmes 3 (December 22, 2021)
    • Judas and the Black Messiah (TBA 2021)
    • MACRO (TBA 2021)
    • Malignant (TBA 2021)
    • Mortal Kombat (TBA 2021)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If they want to mitigate the loss of revenue by piracy, they'll need to roll out HBO Max outside of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Aaaaaand cinemas are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Yes agreed

Not immediately, but I don't think they'll be here in large numbers in 10 years

This is the start

universal signed a deal early on in the year to reduce the gap to 17 days for their movies to appear on itunes etc after cinema releases

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I think these kinds of deals will mean that cinemas that are lazy with their standards, be it cleanliness, audio/visual issues in screens, and such (I'm looking at you Cineworld) will have to up their game if cinema is now to be a luxury compared to watching at home with all the distractions that are there. Cinemas like Lighthouse and IFI will survive because there is that core audience, and they will only gain customers if any other cinemas around close post-pandemic.

Multiplexes may need to downsize if there is not enough original content exclusive to cinemas for a good length of time before they are available to watch at home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

From a different perspective: AT&T own HBO and Time-Warner, and have form for bastardry of various types. HBO is looking to launch its premium streaming platform fairly late in the day compared to its rivals, so this is a way of both addressing the accumulated backlog of films and getting eyeballs to at least take a chance on it.

Also worth noting that the films will only be on HBO Max for the first 31 days of release, so there won't be any "sub for a month and watch the last six months of tentpole Warner films" thing going on.

There's very little information about the financials of streaming, so it's impossible to comment on how much better or worse this is for studios and production companies.

I don't think cinemas are done, but I do think that multiplexes are going to struggle unless we see a return to the studio-ownership model e.g. Disney-AMC cinemas as the only venue showing Disney & Pixar films. The bigger threat to repertory cinemas is the ongoing bastardry of the Disney vault, and the risk of more holding companies taking a similar vault approach in order to try and force viewers onto their streaming platforms...

i think this will be an experiment , make sure release schedules are kept for 2021 and they will checked the balance sheet at the end of 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I can't see my cinema going habits changing too much with this news.

I will go to the cinema to see a few of those movies on the list that really should be seen on the big screen and keep going to the Lighthouse and IFI to see their always excellent programme of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

i think this will be an experiment , make sure release schedules are kept for 2021 and they will checked the balance sheet at the end of 2021

Also HBO Max only has 8 million subscribers, so this is a shot in the arm to try and speed up getting on par with other streaming platforms. This will do them well in increasing numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nah, if Disney follow suit with a similar move though, it'd probably be it though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

titan18 wrote: »
    Nah, if Disney follow suit with a similar move though, it'd probably be it though

Knowing Disney, they'd be more likely to buy up a chain of cinemas (possibly one that has been pushed onto the ropes by COVID challenges and whose sales price is therefore reduced). Because that way they can sell you cinema tickets and a sub to Disney+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    • Wonder Woman 1984 (December 25, 2020)
    • The Little Things (January 29, 2021)
    • Tom & Jerry (March 5, 2021)
    • The Many Saints of Newark (March 12, 2021)
    • Reminiscence (April 16, 2021)
    • Godzilla vs. Kong (May 21, 2021)
    • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4, 2021)
    • In the Heights (June 18, 2021)
    • Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16, 2021)
    • The Suicide Squad (August 6, 2021)
    • Dune (October 1, 2021)
    • Elvis (November 5, 2021)
    • King Richard (November 19, 2021)
    • The Matrix 4 (December 22, 2021)
    • Sherlock Holmes 3 (December 22, 2021)
    • Judas and the Black Messiah (TBA 2021)
    • MACRO (TBA 2021)
    • Malignant (TBA 2021)
    • Mortal Kombat (TBA 2021)

Not many films here I'd pay to watch outside of a cinema.

Find it hard to believe something like Mortal Kombat could even come close to making the money it would in the cinema.

Any figures on Disney's Mulan?

How do studios not lose their bollocks with no cinemas? Especially with blockbusters..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If Godzilla vs Kong is more like the last Kong and not the Godzilla films then it could be better enjoyed the the cinema. If it's like the Godzilla films then we would be looking at people and clouds on the big screen with the occasional glimpse of the monsters

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Not many films here I'd pay to watch outside of a cinema.

Find it hard to believe something like Mortal Kombat could even come close to making the money it would in the cinema.

Any figures on Disney's Mulan?

How do studios not lose their bollocks with no cinemas? Especially with blockbusters..
    I think Mulan did pretty well.
    Plus no sharing in profits with cinemas etc
    Detailed article below
    https://screenrant.com/mulan-2020-movie-disney-plus-office-success-failure/

It's being reported today that Legendary Pictures which made Dune & Godzilla vs. Kong will challenge the decision by Warner's to release the films on HBO Max in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Advertisement

that is fighting talk from their poster boy .

Advertisement