Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

_Brian wrote: »
    Did I see on another thread some time ago that €8-9/kg would be the average retail of beef in a butcher’s shop

I wanted to get a cow/bull killed minced and burgerised during the protest at slaney and give out free burgers to anyone supporting it.
    I couldn’t get answers regarding liability so it wasn’t worth the hassle but from memory my brainwave stemmed from a conversation where a guy had gotten something in the region of 3000 burgers and the fillet from a 750 kg bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi all, didn't quite know where to post this so here is as good as anywhere else.

Just a quick post here, my last in fact, to let you know I'll be closing my account tomorrow.

I suppose I must acknowledge that you lot are the nicest bunch of strangers I've never met:D. It's been my absolute pleasure to be moderating you here with the three lads these last few years. We've had our ups and downs but you've made what could have been a difficult job a most rewarding experience for me. We've worked through our best and worst moments and helped and supported each other and it's stuff like that that I'll remember about you:) We were never afraid of feedback from you and you were never shy about giving it to us if you felt we were handling a situation incorrectly so we had to be on our toes to make the correct decisions every time.

I know I'll be leaving you in great hands here, the three lads I was helping here are absolutely top notch, the soundest lads you could hope to meet so I have no fear of walking away.

All I can say is we tried our hardest to represent you as best we could but anything that's been achieved here this last fortnight is all down to you and you alone. There are so many aspects to this dispute that I didn't agree with and still don't agree with that it would take me hours to put it down again. Suffice to say that I think you have been treated badly here and I refuse to support a site that not only refuses to recognise that but doesn't even acknowledge that, never mind apologise to you for doing so.

Many of you have been carded and banned over this while worse breaches were ignored, it's there in black and white for all to see. Any sanction you have received from me here has been orders of magnitude less that what's being ignored so all I can say is I'm deeply sorry to any of you that I've sanctioned here.

I cannot stand over any of those sanctions so feel free to contact your Cmods to get those reversed, they are unjust and you deserve to have them removed from your records.

So that's about it, folks, it's been an honour and a privilege to have posted here with you and I take nothing but fond memories of you with me.

Buford T. Justice XIX:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The Vegans win again. Slowly chipping away, piece by piece :D

Best of luck Buford. You'll be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi all, didn't quite know where to post this so here is as good as anywhere else.

Just a quick post here, my last in fact, to let you know I'll be closing my account tomorrow.

I suppose I must acknowledge that you lot are the nicest bunch of strangers I've never met:D. It's been my absolute pleasure to be moderating you here with the three lads these last few years. We've had our ups and downs but you've made what could have been a difficult job a most rewarding experience for me. We've worked through our best and worst moments and helped and supported each other and it's stuff like that that I'll remember about you:) We were never afraid of feedback from you and you were never shy about giving it to us if you felt we were handling a situation incorrectly so we had to be on our toes to make the correct decisions every time.

I know I'll be leaving you in great hands here, the three lads I was helping here are absolutely top notch, the soundest lads you could hope to meet so I have no fear of walking away.

All I can say is we tried our hardest to represent you as best we could but anything that's been achieved here this last fortnight is all down to you and you alone. There are so many aspects to this dispute that I didn't agree with and still don't agree with that it would take me hours to put it down again. Suffice to say that I think you have been treated badly here and I refuse to support a site that not only refuses to recognise that but doesn't even acknowledge that, never mind apologise to you for doing so.

Many of you have been carded and banned over this while worse breaches were ignored, it's there in black and white for all to see. Any sanction you have received from me here has been orders of magnitude less that what's being ignored so all I can say is I'm deeply sorry to any of you that I've sanctioned here.

I cannot stand over any of those sanctions so feel free to contact your Cmods to get those reversed, they are unjust and you deserve to have them removed from your records.

So that's about it, folks, it's been an honour and a privilege to have posted here with you and I take nothing but fond memories of you with me.

Were definitely the worse for this.

Thanks for all your help, thankfully there are other realms we all exist in. boards.ie would do well to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

I concur with Brian. We will be the worse for this with the loss of Buford.
    The Mods on this forum are people of the highest integrity, genuine, honest, respectful, knowledgeable and understanding people.
    They are the standards to which all Mods should be measured against but alas the good ones are often allowed to slip away.

• Advertisement

Are you ok hun? xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Top man Buford. You will be missed but understand your position. Not many like you around this place bar the three mods you referenced. Best of luck and hope you come back as a normal user, if your not here already somewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really sorry to lose you, Judge, always very fair, and really appreciate the amount of time it took you.

BTW the bullocks are organic so ration would be fairly dear and need to justify itself. Was thinking of something like 2kg rolled barley and 1kg to the rest of the animals.
    Bass Reeves had also a good point, stopping the meal to stores 4/6 weeks before turnout and availing of compensatory growth. That would be a great saving.
    Probably should move this question across to a beef thread but was prompted by Knight and his freezer full of lovely meat last night.

Thanks for all the hard work, it's no easy job.

I can totally understand your POV on this. The f&f forum is somewhat of a bubble on this site as a whole. The expectation of fair play will always lead to disappointment as it doesn't cater to the business of the site as a whole. Nor will it ever as this will never be a farming site.

The way I use this place now is kinda like the way I used to view politicians (changed view on them again since), that it's here to "be used". Then be utterly hard nosed about everything else to do with it, meaning stuff that's outside of the thinking of the myriad of views on the f&f forum itself.

While ya could say we all support it, my thinking now is I do it in a parasitic way :D

Water John wrote: »
    Really sorry to lose you, Judge, always very fair, and really appreciate the amount of time it took you.

BTW the bullocks are organic so ration would be fairly dear and need to justify itself. Was thinking of something like 2kg rolled barley and 1kg to the rest of the animals.
    Bass Reeves had also a good point, stopping the meal to stores 4/6 weeks before turnout and availing of compensatory growth. That would be a great saving.
    Probably should move this question across to a beef thread but was prompted by Knight and his freezer full of lovely meat last night.

Are they Angus Hereford types? If the silage is reasonable at all I would bother with meal at all. Minerals yes. Use the grass and your barley next summer and you will see gains of close to 2kg a day in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Gutted. Know you from here for years. Liverpool supporter and all. Stay safe. Thanks for all the time you've given to the forum over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jjameson wrote: »
    Are they Angus Hereford types? If the silage is reasonable at all I would bother with meal at all. Minerals yes. Use the grass and your barley next summer and you will see gains of close to 2kg a day in June.

Ch and Lm. They're the first half of weanlings bought last autumn. That could be a good shout. Organic meal is dear but I think 1kg to all until Mid Feb might be worth it. That would be 2.5T. See if I can get 500kg bags.
    Yes went with the Himalayan rock salt for minerals.

Organic stock sale in Kilmallock on Sat, will look in. Some non organic farmers pick up stock there too, good quality for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Big loss to the forum.
    One of the best.
    Intelligent, informed and broad minded with a great sense of justice and balance.

Not many left...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well that's the end of farming & forestry on Boards!!

I know the job was taking a lot of your time especially with the perks of Coke and hookers. But still there'll be a void there.

Feck it anyway now I'll have to put up a profile picture on facebook and try and get into it now for the long posts. :rolleyes: However I'll deal with the crowds there now?

Have you a bomb or anything for your way out? I might know a few Chinese lads that love a bit of spam.

Sale on tumbleweeds..

*You know where to find me if you want a question answered or there's a little nugget of information you've found that you think I might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Christ Buford but your going will leave a big gap that no amount of bailer twine, pallets nor cable ties are going to fill :/

That said I understand your position Buford. But Its not going to be the same here without your input and keeping us in line. In all fairness we should have a full 21 gun salute with the cannons and  artillery positioned for full effect. Keep up the good fight.
    Slán go fóill mo chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

All the best to you Buford. I have nothing but praise and admiration for you. I only ever come to the F&F forum so definitely in a bubble.

I wouldn’t do your job for all the tea in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I took a while to respond to this. I'm still don't know what to say. I assume this all has to do with the vegan forum ??? :mad:
    Jeez. It must have been fairly bad to upset someone as reasonable and decent as yourself. I can only echo all that has been said before .... you will be a huge loss to everyone on here and thanks for all the help over the years.

Best of luck anyway . Shur there's nothing stopping you coming back as your sidekick Junior. :D

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Haven't Read the vegan thread can they not sit back with a nice steak and chip and talk it out......

All the best Buford come back when you clear the head.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Its been my great pleasure to work along with Buford. The very best of good luck to you.

In my mind you'll always be....... A fine Man Utd Fan, a fine Corconian and a damn fine tillage farmer!
    :=)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Well Sheriff I'm saddened about the way things developed. I wish you the best and you will be sadly missed on F&F - fookin vegans :mad:

• Advertisement

Started into “poldark” here on netflix.
    Great epic scenery, and compelling viewing.

Base price wrote: »
    Well Sheriff I'm saddened about the way things developed. I wish you the best and you will be sadly missed on F&F - fookin vegans :mad:

Did your cow calve yet?

For any of ye that maybe interested - the Farmers Journal have a year subscription (+ free bucket that includes a useful diary and other stuff) for €119 today. I bought it a few years ago for OH as a Christmas pressie and find the online paper more useful than buying the physical one. You can look back at previous articles and publications on your laptop.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishFarmersJournal/photos/a.10152485251603835/10160503310988835/

For any of ye that maybe interested - the Farmers Journal have a year subscription (+ free bucket that includes a useful diary and other stuff) for €119 today. I bought it a few years ago for OH as a Christmas pressie and find the online paper more useful than buying the physical one. You can look back at previous articles and publications on your laptop.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishFarmersJournal/photos/a.10152485251603835/10160503310988835/

An post have free delivery for vulnerable people during covid if can order through this
    https://www.newsdelivery.ie/

And they haven’t put the 10cent increase yet!

Valid until midnight on 9th December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm gonna have steak for the next week in revenge...

Odelay wrote: »

Rare :D

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did your cow calve yet?
    No. I was saying to OH this morning that we must be newbies with cows calving :rolleyes:.

It's a nuisance when you buy a cow in the "dry cow ring" and it turns out that she is in calf - you don't know for how long or to what breed/scrub bull they are in calf too. We bought her in September and she went out to grass and was getting meal up until that batch was housed in Oct on a finishing diet. OH noticed that she wasn't laying on flesh so I watched her for a few days and I could see a calf moving. We removed her from the batch into a straw bedded pen and she is like a queen in waiting.

She's on hay and 5kgs of rolled oats & minerals since then. Her vulva is swelling/hanging longer by the day and but thankfully her elder is starting to fill. On the upside she has quietened down and enjoys a scratch and doesn't mind us been around her and feeling her elder.

No. I was saying to OH this morning that we must be newbies with cows calving :rolleyes:.

It's a nuisance when you buy a cow in the "dry cow ring" and it turns out that she is in calf - you don't know for how long or to what breed/scrub bull they are in calf too. We bought her in September and she went out to grass and was getting meal up until that batch was housed in Oct on a finishing diet. OH noticed that she wasn't laying on flesh so I watched her for a few days and I could see a calf moving. We removed her from the batch into a straw bedded pen and she is like a queen in waiting.

She's on hay and 5kgs of rolled oats & minerals since then. Her vulva is swelling/hanging longer by the day and but thankfully her elder is starting to fill. On the upside she has quietened down and enjoys a scratch and doesn't mind us been around her and feeling her elder.

What breed is she? She’s a good chance on that diet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Odelay wrote: »

Hopefully when he ( i take it ) sees all the responses here to his post he might reconsider closing his account.

Might be better to just take some time out Buford. That vegan forum charter issue was head wrecking and draining. I know you spent a lot of time on it, but you came out of it very well in my opinion. If you've had enough of the modding end of things go back to being a normal poster..

Wouldn't let them have it all their own way, why should you have to go for the sake of a couple of oddball clowns. My advice for what it's worth is take a well earned break and come back in the new year.

Advertisement