Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimal strategy in the case of pandemic like COVID-19 - protect yourself or others?

• 02-12-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

What you see most effective strategy for society in the case of pandemic like COVID-19 - everybody do protect himself or protect others, in our circumstances? I could provide number of considerations for/against each approach, but the list will not be universal since everybody is in theirs own unique circumstances. Therefore this simplistic poll. I'm not interested in explanation why you have chosen one ore another option, but if you want to express yourself then please feel free to do it.

optimal strategy during pandemic - protect youself or protect others 7 votes

protect myself
    57% 4 votes
    protect others
    42% 3 votes

Comments

What a loaded poll, I won't entertain it. Instead, I'll let you in my secret to immunity: Not listening to the likes of Sam McConkey and Tomas Ryan affords me a better state of mind which is a layer of insulation against negativity, and therefore the ravages of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

What a loaded poll, I won't entertain it. Instead, I'll let you in my secret to immunity: Not listening to the likes of Sam McConkey and Tomas Ryan affords me a better state of mind which is a layer of insulation against negativity, and therefore the ravages of Covid-19.

Fcuck, what is loaded? You just expected to answer simple question - what kind of behaviour of everybody is better for our society - this or that. You not even expected to think about it, tell what you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Thats me wrote: »
    Fcuck, what is loaded? You just expected to answer simple question - what kind of behaviour of everybody is better for our society - this or that. You not even expected to think about it, tell what you feel.

Course it’s loaded- the implication is you’re inherently selfish by protecting yourself and perhaps not others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How about protecting myself (keeping my job) while pretending to care about protecting others?

Yup, virtue signaling should be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Loaded polls don't work and the results are hidden too. So, not playing that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its an infectious disease. I am unclear why there is a distinction... protecting yourself from infection also protects others.

So I didnt vote.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Loaded polls don't work and the results are hidden too. So, not playing that game.

This is a simple question. In any combination of circumstances all of us do have this choice. I'm not interested which option anybody would prefer or why they would prefer. The question is only what everybody think is better for our society.

This poll will finish in 3 days, no need to rush with answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Shoot the infected

Shoot the infected

Is this expected to protect society or yourself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

What is the purpose of this vital research op? For use the next time a global pandemic hits us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Thats me wrote: »
    Is this expected to protect society or yourself?

Both and neither.

If I become infected with this new virus I could be shot too.

Have you come up with a name for it yet?

How about covid 20. Simon Harris reckons we are seeing the 19th covid strain. He was minister of health so he knows what he is talking about.

Don’t care about anyone else as long as I can have my fill of unrestricted creamy pints... ;)

What is the purpose of this vital research op? For use the next time a global pandemic hits us?

Sounds like we have no any pandemic right now :D

As of purpose, your day-to-day micro-decisions can depend on this. I can provide an example. Masks are often discussed as protective measure. But should we wear mask with valve or mask with no valve? Former obviously will not protect others since exhaled air is not filtered but this is somewhat more comfortable to wear. Do you chose mask with valve or without it depends om who you are protecting - yourself or others around you.

Advertisement