Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for Parents

• 12-10-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭

Trying to come up with a joint gift for my parents from my siblings and I. Budget isn't huge due to circumstances, maybe €150. Thing is, with Covid, vouchers for restaurants/hotels not really a runner. One is late 60s, other mid 70s. The really scary thing is one is ill and we don't know if this could be last Christmas for them. At the same time want a special gift that means something as well as maybe something practical. Am thinking a firestick for the practical stuff, they have a "dodgy box" that's temperamental. Any ideas for the more sentimental/precious thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

A winter hamper with a throw, heat pillow (those with cherry stones in them), two tea mugs and some really posh foods of their liking ? Like marmalade or a special cheese.
    A mix of something that they can keep and something nice to eat even after Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The outlet store from Foxford do some good bargains and older parents may associate them with quality and happy memories.:
    https://www.foxfordwoollenmills.com/collections/outlet-store/products/pastel-lime-spot-throw

Alternatively, they are starting to make throws in county colours but they will be more expensive.

These are lovely too
    :
    https://www.kilkennyshop.com/mcnutt-of-donegal-red-wool-throws
    OR, we have one of these and they definitely add a touch of luxury
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/francis-brennan-the-collection-microfibre-topper/5517117

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks. My parents would think a throw and mugs is a real old person present, they're young for their ages. The 70 something still works full time (family business, by choice - retirement would kill them)

What are their interests/hobbies? :)

Eskie wrote: »
    What are their interests/hobbies? :)

One golf, one reading.

Would love to do a family photo session but with Covid that's a no, we're scattered too far.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    One golf, one reading.

Would love to do a family photo session but with Covid that's a no, we're scattered too far.

A photo session would be lovely! Outdoors would be ideal if there's a nice picturesque spot that is memorable/sentimental. Is it definitely a no go?

If it's a no go, what about doing up a picture book or photo album? Then you could get a few other bits to go along with it. If they like a drink, you could get a personalised bottle of whiskey/champagne/wine etc. and maybe an ornament for the tree.

I'm struggling for ideas for my own as well. We usually do similar to yourself, group together to give a voucher, and we're at a loss as to what to give them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

I wondered about getting a genealogy test thingy for my Dad, now I'm not sure because of how unregulated those companies are and all that, but maybe it's something that you wouldn't mind or be concerned about?

I thought it would be a present for the whole family, as everyone would get to find out a little more about the family history and heritage, my Dad would be into that anyway.

On the golf, if you could figure out if he needs any new gear somehow, and buy that, or else buy him a voucher for a Pro-shop instead?
    Can be hard to buy that stuff for someone else, especially if you're not into golf. (I'm the same with my Dad!)

Reading..maybe a little matching cushion+soft throw, with a herbal tea-set/good coffee mug/teacup, for a reading nook for your mam?
    Couple of personalised bookmarks thrown in perhaps? Ones with family photos or grandkids etc printed on?
    Stylish bookends might be an idea too maybe?

It's hard to figure out what's best with family presents, especially when they get older I find

My daughter got my husband a cheeseboard and about 6 cheeses, crackers, grapes, chutney and a bottle of wine. He loved it.
    Mine was a hamper of books and a selection of small bottles of white wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

A personalised 11x16 calendar is useful and can be ordered for around €20 - add a picture (or collage) for each month with a note about what that memory meant to you, or if your mam had certain sayings, stories, or favourite songs, recipes, etc - add them in...Several websites offer this, like Vistaprint (whom I have never used, was just an example). You could notate special family dates on the calendar, too.

Or you could do this in a professionally printed, hardback, table-book for around €25-€50... Take a look at some of the (many) websites who compile them, like this one - some setups are delightful. Maybe with a different family member contributing a special memory and pic "remember the time when we..." Or a "the story of us - look at our messy, glorious life so far" with pictures from the special to the mundane to the crazy times (to make her smile), leaving a few blank pages for future memories.

A collage frame like this with a few pictures of special times shared over the years (of just you and your mother, or you and your dad). My mam treasured hers, from my sister.

Hmm, golf gadgets might be fun - what about a putting green, or chipping net for him to practice at home? Amazon has different varieties. Oooh, does your mam have a kindle with a backlit screen to read by? They might be more affordable come Christmas.

As for really useful gifts, a firestick is very considerate! :)
    Anything that helps during their life stage is! If sight is an issue, a big lighted dial wall clock they can see without their spectacles at night, or one of those that flash time onto the ceiling. If hearing is, something like a Bose system (altho they can be pricey). A magnification, lighted mirror with a saying like "your radiance is magnified every day of my life!"....anything thoughtful can be made sentimental by you.

Is there something you've heard your mam or dad wish for before? A full length mirror? A Dremel drill? A locket with each of their (newly married) pictures inside? ...What about a set of new, thick (or luxurious) dressing gowns for both? (for me, this would be soooo dreamy.)

A hamper of their fave treats would always be welcome, and they wouldn't be concerned with "what will we do with yet another thing?"

....ok, I shall stop rambling, sorry. :o

Thanks. A couple of things in there really stick out, love the dressing gown idea, I had been thinking of a collage photo thing but you somehow made me think of a digital photo frame.

I don't think there's a golf gadget that hasn't made it into our house and home/DIY gifts not really a runner as their business sells those :D Bought my mother a new Kindle last year after eye surgery.

Will definitely talk to my siblings re dressing gowns and digital frame. Thanks again

• Advertisement

Just coming back on this...settled on a hamper of their favourite things...books, wine, chocolate, slippers, toiletries, posh socks (Dad) as well as the Fire Stick and an added Lenovo Essential Clock...a smart device to replace their aged clock radio (they complain that the radio goes off after 59 minutes so this is perfect - they already have a google home hub so keeping on the same platform).

Thanks for all the suggestions x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aaah, that all sounds really lovely, Caranica. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Caranica wrote: »
    Just coming back on this...settled on a hamper of their favourite things...books, wine, chocolate, slippers, toiletries, posh socks (Dad) as well as the Fire Stick and an added Lenovo Essential Clock...a smart device to replace their aged clock radio (they complain that the radio goes off after 59 minutes so this is perfect - they already have a google home hub so keeping on the same platform).

Thanks for all the suggestions x
    Id get a smart bulb for the bedroom to go along with the lenovo clock

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id get a smart bulb for the bedroom to go along with the lenovo clock

Thanks but I don't think they would like that. I've a few and can't see them appreciating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

You can consider buying a clock radio, there are some famous brands in producing alarm radios: Sangean, DreamSky, FitFirst, iHome, JALL... I just bought a DreamSky clock for my mom, and she loves it. The large display is easy to read. I find the temperature display very handy. You can run the wire out the window to see what the temperature is outside or leave it inside to assist in determining if the room is actually warm or if you're having a hot flash. Overall, it's a really nice clock at a great price.

Advertisement