Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV inspection pre-sale?

• 01-12-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking at getting a i3 or Zoe and I'm just curious as regards arranging an inspection by an appropriate technician.
    For those that have bought privately, what has the process been?
    After the test drive, any other specifically EV advice?

Likely it'll be a dealer but there are some nice looking i3's turning up for sale privately.

Thanks Folks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi Folks,

Looking at getting a i3 or Zoe and I'm just curious as regards arranging an inspection by an appropriate technician.
    For those that have bought privately, what has the process been?
    After the test drive, any other specifically EV advice?

Likely it'll be a dealer but there are some nice looking i3's turning up for sale privately.

Thanks Folks!!

Inspection the same as any other car.
    Only difference being the state of health of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Tbh, Whats the concerns? if its an i3 with a rex make sure its been serviced by BMW. As for a Zoe apart from confirming the state of health of the battery theres not really much to check.
    Obviously do a cartell etc check before buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Pretty much what I was thinking alright.
    A normal ICE I'd just inspect as usual but just checking that it's normal battery Condition/life that's the main consideration.
    Thanks for the responses guys!

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Gumbo wrote: »
    Inspection the same as any other car.
    Only difference being the state of health of the battery.

At what point do you say "no, the SOH isn't good, I'll pass".

Kinda differs for all cars, so there's no real rule of thumb. Afaik, leaf expect plenty of degradation, but depends on the year. Ioniq expect none. Tesla expect some, but depends on the year.

Too many unknowns there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

What is everyone's thoughts if the cartell report shows there's been an insurance claim but the seller hasnt said anything to put on the spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If you consider an i3 all 90ah models and the 120ah are rock solid and should have very little lost battery capacity. Earlier models in 2014 & 2015 you need to be more vigilant with the battery but the issue was fixed quickly. You can find the battery capacity in a hidden service menu from the dashboard to check it but you need the vin number to access it which will be in the windscreen. There is not much else with the rest of the car to go wrong.

I bought my first i3 from a UK auction without ever seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,298 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

loopymum wrote: »
    What is everyone's thoughts if the cartell report shows there's been an insurance claim but the seller hasnt said anything to put on the spot?
    Avoid for sure

Way too many used EVs out there now to be landed with something potentially dodgy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

loopymum wrote: »

It depends, ask them out straight.
    My old 530d had an insurance claim on the history, and it went back to when the parking sensors were stolen from the front bumper. In the E39, they had mouldings which contained the Sensors.

Also, a few years later a claim turned up on my 535d, from when I had the windscreen replaced.

It just said something along the lines of "insurance alert" from memory.

Advertisement