Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quibi

• 17-04-2020 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭

"A subscription-based streaming platform designed to deliver short-form scripted and unscripted content to your cell phone."

Has anyone signed up for this? 3 month free trial at the moment. There's a few decent looking shows on it. I watched a few episodes of Survive, 8 minutes per episode. They're focusing on it as a mobile only offering which means there's no option to cast and shows aren't optimised for TV viewing. Think this would be deal breaker for most people, me included. I just don't enjoy watching things on a tiny screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

€9 a month after the free trial and you can only watch on mobile devices I think I'll pass to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Far too much money behind this and talent on board for me to ignore Quibi. I've no problem watching short form content created especially for small screens if the quality is good enough.

Will have to do a lot to show me that it's worth £7.99 a month in 90 days but I'll give it a chance.

There's a few things that intrigue me on launch but there's a lot more potential on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It was shocking, no way I was continuing with my subscription after the 3 month trial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

6 month lifespan, the shortest steaming service to date.

Ignoring the question as to whether there was ever an audience for this, logistically this must have been a nightmare and totally unappealing for production studios: having to shoot an entire movie or TV show effectively twice - vertical and horizontal orientation - while maintaining perfect continuity etc.

• Advertisement

I assumed it was just shot once but framed in a way that it could be cropped for both aspect ratios. I actually found it pretty badly done on the few quibis (LOL was that ever a thing?) that I watched. There would be times I'd switch orientation just our of curiosity and a lovely framed picture in landscape would end up with this horrible tight zoomed crop in portrait. Maybe other shows were more adventurous than the few I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It was an interesting idea but literally couldn't have launched at a worse time when everyone is stuck at home with big tv's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure if today's xkcd is a coincidence or not
    worst_ladder_2x.png

And yes, the first thing I did after reading that was Google "worst ladder"

Officially closed down today it lasted less than 9 months.

Has there been a bigger waste of $2billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why did anyone think this would work? For all the intrinsic lack of attention of the phone generation the idea that 15 minute bites could sustain interest and fill a "schedule" with enough product and ask people to pay for it is nuts. Youtube already does it and better cos it's got over a decade and the output of a planet's population already in the bag.

• Advertisement

I am curious how it would've done under normal circumstances. Guess we'll never know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I am curious how it would've done under normal circumstances. Guess we'll never know.

I think it came too late in the streaming zeitgeist to make its money or wedge itself into prominence. There's definitely an argument that commuters and the like might have liked this 15 minute format but it wasn't like this wasn't already possible with Netflix - one simply paused. The 15 minutes seemed too arbitrary; I'd have bitten your hand off for a 15 minute commute fadó

I presume they'll stream the material only in the landscape, more traditional horizontal format rather than the gimmicky vertical nonsense.

Anyone who has access The Roku Channel all the Quibi shows were added to it today as Roku Originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Anyone who has access The Roku Channel all the Quibi shows were added to it today as Roku Originals.

Is the Roku Channel available in Ireland yet? I though it was announced that it was, but can't find the channel on my Roku stick.

Is the Roku Channel available in Ireland yet? I though it was announced that it was, but can't find the channel on my Roku stick.

I don't think it is available here yet I don't have a Roku stick so not 100% sure.

Advertisement