Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun license

• 30-11-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have currently applied for a second license, gun safe has been inspected and all paperwork put through, guard said should be two weeks before I have it. unfortunately the gun I've applied for I had to import I asked one of my local dealers to bring it down from Belfast for me where the gun currently is.i put down his dealer info on the application but he has messed me around for weeks and hasn't even bothered to apply for it.luckily another dealer said he will have it down here in 2 weeks. Will I have to reapply for the license all over again due to the dealer changing? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have currently applied for a second license, gun safe has been inspected and all paperwork put through, guard said should be two weeks before I have it. unfortunately the gun I've applied for I had to import I asked one of my local dealers to bring it down from Belfast for me where the gun currently is.i put down his dealer info on the application but he has messed me around for weeks and hasn't even bothered to apply for it.luckily another dealer said he will have it down here in 2 weeks. Will I have to reapply for the license all over again due to the dealer changing? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Probably best to just put the screws to your man. If you start pressuring him, or just keep asking him when he’s going to get around to it. If that doesn’t work then maybe just threaten to use another dealer. Best not to let it seem like you can be pushed around, show him who’s boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Who imports it has no bearing on the licence. You are being licenced on the firearm. They handle the import licence thats all. If he wont do it get the other one who will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

Thanks for the replys. The dealer I asked originally is definitely out of the question as I've been asking him for about 9 weeks and did say il be going else where and he said I'm not stopping you If you want to order through someone else. I dont think he ever wanted to do it. Gladly I have a guy now who's willing to do it.i was thinking that it won't make a difference where I get it from on license just wanted to be sure I didn't need to reapply with info updated. Thanks very much for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Waiting months for mine to be inspected now ill have 3 firearms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

No issue getting a different or another dealer to get the import license for you, some charge a small fee to cover the paperwork, or apply for it yourself, it normally only takes about a week ish..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Apologies if I’ve read it wrong,
    You were getting dealer A to apply for an import license for the gun and in the meantime applied for the license using paperwork from dealer A to fill out the form.

Now if dealer B goes ahead and imports the gun for you will that not mean the details entered in Section 3.3, Source Of Firearm, are incorrect as the gun came from a different source/ pulse iD and dealer name and dealer A won’t have a record of that gun and serial number in his inventory?

lefthooker wrote: »
    Apologies if I’ve read it wrong,
    You were getting dealer A to apply for an import license for the gun and in the meantime applied for the license using paperwork from dealer A to fill out the form.

Now if dealer B goes ahead and imports the gun for you will that not mean the details entered in Section 3.3, Source Of Firearm, are incorrect as the gun came from a different source/ pulse iD and dealer name and dealer A won’t have a record of that gun and serial number in his inventory?

You have that exactly correct. That was my worry as dealer A details is on the application sent in so would I need to reapply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

johnogog88 wrote: »
    You have that exactly correct. That was my worry as dealer A details is on the application sent in so would I need to reapply?

That is between the dealers and the department of justice. You are applying for a firearms licence with a specific serial number end of story.
    If you are worried about it Import it yourself. Get your licence and apply for the import licence and you can receive the firearm in the post.
    Dont go supporting a dealer who has zero interest in actually running a business. They dont deserve your business. And you can be sure he hasnt applied for the import licence because he would already have it if that were the case.
    The dealer dosent need to wait until you have a licence to import the firearm that only applies when you apply for it yourself.
    The more people who support only dealers who actually care the better.

juice1304 wrote: »
    That is between the dealers and the department of justice. You are applying for a firearms licence with a specific serial number end of story.
    If you are worried about it Import it yourself. Get your licence and apply for the import licence and you can receive the firearm in the post.
    Dont go supporting a dealer who has zero interest in actually running a business. They dont deserve your business. And you can be sure he hasnt applied for the import licence because he would already have it if that were the case.
    The dealer dosent need to wait until you have a licence to import the firearm that only applies when you apply for it yourself.
    The more people who support only dealers who actually care the better.

Thanks for response. This whole experience has thought me alot about how gun dealers don't value costume between buying and importing it seems once uve paid ur out of there mind. I would apply myself only dealer b has a permit sent to the dealer up north. Amazing how quick that was when dealer A hasn't done anything in the 8 weeks but waste time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement