Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Washing Maching Outside Allowed in Rental?

• 28-11-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi
    My neighbour rents out their property and has installed a washing machine in their back yard, outdoors. The tenants use it every day and it makes a huge amount of noise which is very annoying for me.
    I understand that the tenants need to wash and dry their clothes but dont understand why the landlord cant install inside, perhaps saving space indoors.
    What are my rights around this? Are electrical goods allowed outside, and could it be a fire hazard if outside? Can I appeal to any legislative body around this?

Thanks
    Fergal

Comments

I'm not a legal expert but from reading the information on citizens information it doesn't appear that he is breaking any rules in regards to having a washing machine outside.

Below is from the citizens information website

"Laundry, food preparation and food storage
    The Regulations require private landlords to provide tenants with access to:

A washing machine

A clothes-dryer if the dwelling does not have a private garden or yard"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is not an issue relating to it being a rental: could be equally annoying if they lived there.

Investigate it from a planning perspective: does the planning permission for the house include outside laundry facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Investigate it from a planning perspective: does the planning permission for the house include outside laundry facilities?

Ahh stop - It's a washing machine. In a private garden. The planning authority aren't going to care.

It's hardly sitting out exposed - it's obviously in an enclosure or a shed. It wouldn't last a week if it wasn't.

First step would be talk to the landlord - before doing anything. The vast majority aren't going to want issues with the neighbours. Theres a good chance he doesn't even know it's annoying anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Conor.d2 wrote: »
    Hi
    My neighbour rents out their property and has installed a washing machine in their back yard, outdoors. The tenants use it every day and it makes a huge amount of noise which is very annoying for me.
    I understand that the tenants need to wash and dry their clothes but dont understand why the landlord cant install inside, perhaps saving space indoors.
    What are my rights around this? Are electrical goods allowed outside, and could it be a fire hazard if outside? Can I appeal to any legislative body around this

Thanks
    Fergal

Is he allowed use a lawnmower?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Would it not break if Left outside ? Ignoring the electronics, one night of bad frost and the water in the machine would freeze and burst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It most likely just needs to be levelled correctly if it's making a lot of noise. Washing machines are designed to be used indoors so unless there's something wrong with it it shouldn't be noisy once it's setup correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Conor.d2

Thanks for all your comments. To add some context...
    - The washer/dryer is located outdoors in a small yard amongst a congested terrace of small houses, there is no garden. It is not inside a shed or enclosure but seems to be operating fine but noisily, every day for 2-3 hours per day with a whining noise for ages when the cycle is over. It has been there now for a long time (throughout frost etc.)
    - The landlord is known locally as a slumlord, and doesnt care about neighbours and will not engage in communication about any issues.
    Hence, why Im asking about what my rights are, and how I can appeal to a 'higher authority'
    The facts remain that the noise is a nuisance to me (despite what comments have been made above), and the landlord won't engage with me (so I cant ask them to change the settings etc..).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Third party complaint to the RTB but I don't see it going very far - but then maybe he'll get an inspection or something and have to move it.

Edit: You could possibly become a pest to the council's housing department trying to prompt an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Third party complaint to the RTB but I don't see it going very far - but then maybe he'll get an inspection or something and have to move it.

Edit: You could possibly become a pest to the council's housing department trying to prompt an inspection.

I doubt they would "bite" as that would then apply to eg a lawnmower or power tool? OP I DO greatly sympathise . Noise is so invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Graces7 wrote: »
    I doubt they would "bite" as that would then apply to eg a lawnmower or power tool?

Yeah, I think you're right and if I'm honest if it's during the day I think the OP is probably not being reasonable. That said I'm not on the ground and I'd hope the neighbour wasn't out with the lawn mower everyday!

I just think the washing machine is probably the tip of the iceberg in relation to possible health and safety issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The issue here is noise pollution or nuisance, not the use of a washing machine per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The issue here is noise pollution or nuisance, not the use of a washing machine per se.

Noise pollution, from a washing machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. And the operation of an electrical appliance ( designed for indoor use) outside.

The rental aspect is irrelevant: operating your washing machine for 2-3 cycles per day is not ASB.

Indeed. And the operation of an electrical appliance ( designed for indoor use) outside.

The rental aspect is irrelevant: operating your washing machine for 2-3 cycles per day is not ASB.

Who said it was ASB. It is either nuisance and or noise pollution.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Noise pollution, from a washing machine?

You can have noise pollution from a piano, why not a washing machine?

First thought re loud whining at end of cycle is that the bearings or pump need a look

After that, not much.

TBH, if it's during the day and outside, I'd swap with you. My neighbour does his washing at 3am, above our bedroom!

You can have noise pollution from a piano, why not a washing machine?

Looking at it that way, all noise would be considered a pollutant. Aren’t complaints normally associated with decibel level, and the time the noise occurs?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Looking at it that way, all noise would be considered a pollutant. Aren’t complaints normally associated with decibel level, and the time the noise occurs?

All noise is potentially a pollutant, it is a matter of showing that it reaches an unacceptable level in order to get relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I doubt they would "bite" as that would then apply to eg a lawnmower or power tool? OP I DO greatly sympathise . Noise is so invasive.

While we're in a roll, there's a main road right next to my house, so I'd like to join this noise pollution thing about the traffic passing by.

While we're in a roll, there's a main road right next to my house, so I'd like to join this noise pollution thing about the traffic passing by.

Did you drop in and have a word with the traffic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Op.

Jump the fence. Put a couple of bricks in the machine and set it on spin cycle.
    It'll make some noise for a while and then it'll be quiet!

Joking.

First thought re loud whining at end of cycle is that the bearings or pump need a look

After that, not much.

TBH, if it's during the day and outside, I'd swap with you. My neighbour does his washing at 3am, above our bedroom!

OUCH! Now THAT is truly anti -social...

Yeah and here the tide starts crashing the rocks on the shore right behind my home!!!!! Whenever it pleases, night or day.

I’ve tried talking to the moo cows next door, they just won’t take me seriously. It’s noise pollution in addition to air pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do people think the sound of the sea = the sound of a noisy washing machine?

Conor.d2 wrote: »
    Hi
    What are my rights around this? Are electrical goods allowed outside, and could it be a fire hazard if outside? Can I appeal to any legislative body around this?

Thanks
    Fergal

Maybe hes crammed so many inside there isn't room. Which might be why the washing machine is going a lot.

beauf wrote: »
    Do people think the sound of the sea = the sound of a noisy washing machine?

When the shore is very rocky and the waves are lifting the rocks as the tide comes in and crashing them against other rocks it gets very loud. When the ocean is right at the back of the house...

NB we were just being lighter hearted..

When the shore is very rocky and the waves are lifting the rocks as the tide comes in and crashing them against other rocks it gets very loud. When the ocean is right at the back of the house...

NB we were just being lighter hearted..

Stressed out people are a good laugh I suppose.

Maybe hes crammed so many inside there isn't room. Which might be why the washing machine is going a lot.

Or just using an outdoor tap to avoid paying to get an indoor connection? I have an unused washing machine for that reason; cannot get anyone to plumb it in . That makes sense of the outdoor machine, and near an outside drain? Long flex...

• Advertisement

Stressed out people are a good laugh I suppose.

Ah come on now; we were laughing at ourselves! Not at the OP. :rolleyes: And making a point that we all have ambient noise that can be burdensome.

Over and out from me ….. Off to …..

Advertisement