Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accordingly a Silent Hill revival and MGS remake are happening (rumors)

• 30-11-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭

Of course these are only rumors but many reports lately say that there is about to be a Silent Hills game for the ps5 to be revealed at the game awards show December 10th. Accordingly Hideo Kojima is meant to be at the helm with his studio developing despite the spat he had with Konami.

As for the metal gear solid remake, developer Bluepoint games have been rumoured to be making a MGS game for years now. The latest reports say that they are at least three years into development.

Various sites and YouTubers talking about it but here's one link:
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1365554/PS5-2021-line-up-Metal-Gear-Solid-Remake-Kojima-Silent-Hills-rumour/amp

My two cents:
    The mgs one is likely true. Lot of reports over the last few years and seeing as how Kojima is gone from the series and should Konami want to continue the series, they would be better off enticing people in with a remake than a continuation. Not to mention remakes are all the rage this days (re2, 3 etc)

As for silent hills? Wouldn't be shocked to hear it was in development giving the buzz around the PT demo. But Kojima working with Konami so soon? I dunno.

What you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

An MGS remake with the level of polish that was given to Resident Evil would be amazing.

Never got into Silent Hill at all but that PT demo scared me more than any game I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MGS: Will come out next year. Wish it was more than the first solid game but it needs work as Twin Snakes proved it needed more than a lick of paint to update it.

Silent Hill: Wouldn't be astonished if a new Silent Hill game was in development on PS5 but not involving Kojima.

Kojima: Probably working on something that is a PlayStation console exclusive alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He is just echoing rumours from 2 months ago. Silent hill probably in production but very much doubt it's kojima studios. Too much bad blood there unless they bought the up from konima.

Mgs remake and hd remasters of 2 to 4 been rumoured for a while.

Also they won't be exclusive and will be coming to pc apparently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    An MGS remake with the level of polish that was given to Resident Evil would be amazing.

Never got into Silent Hill at all but that PT demo scared me more than any game I've ever played.

PT kind of had nothing to do with kojima or silent hills. It was a side project some newbies at kojima studios put together while learning the fox engine that was decided to be expanded when it impressed kojima.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If true it could be 2 of the best reasons to get a PS5. PT makes me optimistic that they can resurrect Silent Hill and get back to the glory days of SH2 and the original Metal gear solid is still one of the best games ever made, easily Konami's best game.

• Advertisement

I'm probably in the minority in that I preferred SH1 to the second game. I remember being really hyped for the sequel and not feeling it at all when I played it. I replayed it in the HD collection and did appreciate it only slightly more. Same feeling towards MGS really loved the first game but didn't really warm to the second. The 3rd one I really loved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Enfilade wrote: »
    I replayed it in the HD collection and did appreciate it only slightly more.

I can't imagine how. It's inferior to the originals and PC version in almost every way possible.

Instead I'd recommend the fan enhanced edition

Was commenting more on the game/story itself rather than the quality port.

In terms of both I prefer silent hill 2. The first is just a generic horror story about a cult doing bad things. Silent hill 2 is a much more personal story. I actually think it's one of the few games with a genuinely brilliant story and writing.

As for metal gear solid being konamis best game. Not while symphony of the night exists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In terms of both I prefer silent hill 2. The first is just a generic horror story about a cult doing bad things. Silent hill 2 is a much more personal story. I actually think it's one of the few games with a genuinely brilliant story and writing.

As for metal gear solid being konamis best game. Not while symphony of the night exists

Hmm. Let's see... symphony of the night sold roughly 700,000 units. While MGS sold 7 million :p Am sure a Konami exec would be to differ :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmm. Let's see... symphony of the night sold roughly 700,000 units. While MGS sold 7 million :p Am sure a Konami exec would be to differ :pac:

And when do sales make better games?

And when do sales make better games?

Take gtav which I read is the second best selling video game of all time - if it was garbage people would not be buying it.

I remember reading at the time that a lot of people were buying PS2's in preparation for mgs2 to be released. That's how big mgs1 was.

symphony of the night may be a good game in its own right. But it's no metal gear solid 1.

Take gtav which I read is the second best selling video game of all time - if it was garbage people would not be buying it.

I remember reading at the time that a lot of people were buying PS2's in preparation for mgs2 to be released. That's how big mgs1 was.

symphony of the night may be a good game in its own right. But it's no metal gear solid 1.

Nonsense. Some of the greatest games of all time sold poorly on release. It's like saying an avengers film is better than much better indie films.

To counter. Rdr2 sold extremely well and that game is hit garbage.

I'd but symphony well ahead of gtaV. And I'd argue that it's better than metal gear solid but that would be a harder argument to make coming down to mgs is incredible but sotn is as close to perfect as games get.

Nonsense. Some of the greatest games of all time sold poorly on release. It's like saying an avengers film is better than much better indie films.

To counter. Rdr2 sold extremely well and that game is hit garbage.

I'd but symphony well ahead of gtaV. And I'd argue that it's better than metal gear solid but that would be a harder argument to make coming down to mgs is incredible but sotn is as close to perfect as games get.

No dude, mgs is the better game. Am sure if we both stood outside a game shop with clipboard in hand most people would vote mgs1 ;)

Fact is fact and I would be willing to place a wager on this.... More people like mgs1 (it is iconic) and more people bought it than symphony of the night because it is the better game. That's not to say that's bad.

But mgs was a system seller. It launched a series (the old nes and max games don't count :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's been so many rumours about Silent Hill in the last year or so. People get excited when some trademark or website is registered or if a new Twitter account is setup. I just shrug it off as some pachinko machine or the Dead by Daylight DLC cash grab.

I'm a big fan of the series and last year fell in love with SH2 all over again with the Enhanced Edition.

I'll keep an eye out on the Game Awards but expect to be disappointed.

No dude, mgs is the better game. Am sure if we both stood outside a game shop with clipboard in hand most people would vote mgs1 ;)

Fact is fact and I would be willing to place a wager on this.... More people like mgs1 (it is iconic) and more people bought it than symphony of the night because it is the better game. That's not to say that's bad.

But mgs was a system seller. It launched a series (the old nes and max games don't count :p )

Popularity and quality are not equivalent. I agree that mgs would be a bigger deal than sotn. But on popularity vs quality, coldplay still sell out stadiums.

I mean you could argue with me on how well the game is designed and made but game sales... That's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I mean you could argue with me on how well the game is designed and made but game sales... That's just wrong.

Sotn was brilliant but i feel MGS took what games could be to a new level. Popularity should never be the main factor when deciding on greatness but often it makes sense for it to be one of the factors.

It really has no bearing on how good a game is. It's nice when a great game sells well or gets the sales it deserves. Too many times I've seen amazing games get ignored or under perform.

A great game can be great and totally flop at retail and many of the greatest games ever made have underperformed.

It's actually ridiculous when you think of it that sales can have any effect on a games quality. It doesn't change anything about the game. I'm sorry, but it's wrong and baffles me people can think like that. I mean rise of the robots sold millions back in the 90s. Is one of the worst games ever made now a classic and a better game than streets of rage 2 which it outsold?

Anyway I do think metal gear solid is an amazing game. Just Konami have such a rich history of amazing games. I would t personally rate it as the best of their games (and not even the best metal gear games, mgs3 and secret best metal gear, ghost babel say hello) as it's just up against so many absolute belters, not just sotn. But it's still pretty high up that list. It's also a very unique game, a weird mix of modern design with classic Konami game design. I'd actually rank it just behind sotn and suikoden 2 as their number 3 game on the ps1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’d they don’t completely redo the controls and camera angle for MGS they may as well not bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

awec wrote: »
    I’d they don’t completely redo the controls and camera angle for MGS they may as well not bother.

and majority of the dialogue

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

That's it I'm finally going play through SOTN after all these years, hear its an an absolute masterpiece.

Now just going pop it in my Sega Saturn...:pac:

Twin Snakes is probably a lesson in what can go wrong if you change the original too much but don't compensate in other areas. The first person aiming in that game completely ruined it.
    DaveyDave wrote: »

Don't think too much into that. The old silent hill teammhave been with Sony for years after leaving Konami and have made the most interesting stuff from Sony. I'm hoping it means they continue making unique gaming experiences. A silent hill game is a waste of their talents.
    Azza wrote: »
    That's it I'm finally going play through SOTN after all these years, hear its an an absolute masterpiece.

Now just going pop it in my Sega Saturn...:pac:

Some people just want to watch the world burn...

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Twin Snakes is probably a lesson in what can go wrong if you change the original too much but don't compensate in other areas. The first person aiming in that game completely ruined it.

Don't think too much into that. The old silent hill teammhave been with Sony for years after leaving Konami and have made the most interesting stuff from Sony. I'm hoping it means they continue making unique gaming experiences. A silent hill game is a waste of their talents.

Some people just want to watch the world burn...

They don't have to make it first person, but I remember re-playing MGS when that collector pack of the MG games was released on xbox a few years ago, and MGS was virtually unplayable as the controls and camera are so dated.

Like a 45 degree top down view, hold square to aim then release to shoot while aiming involves just spinning your guy 360 degrees. It was mad.

Hint: snake auto aims when you hold square.

The controls are a bit fiddly, too many actions and too many buttons to control them but it's not the disaster mgs2 was. I still think that it plays perfectly but also recognise that mgs3 later brought the controls to a whole different level.

If they modernise the controls the games will need to be redesigned heavily which I'd all be for. Twin Snakes gave the game mgs2 controls but didn't compensate for it with the level design and boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

MGS would be an odd choice. Bluepoints 2 full on remakes have been mostly facelifts with some minor changes, but so much would have to be done to MGS to make it worthwhile. The controls, the AI, possibly the dialogue(which I would imagine would annoy a significant portion of the fanbase) would all have to be updated. Also it’s a very short game, certainly by today’s standards.

I think it’s one of those games that’s fine to play the original and appreciate that it’s very much of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You would have to assume that there would be an awful lot of padding added into an MGS remake, perhaps an updated and rejigged VR mission addition would be worthwhile although it may not appeal to everyone.

Twin snakes additional on first person aiming made essentially broke the game and made far too easy and the game is incredibly short especially when most people who will buy it have finished it multiple times already and know the narrative and the gameplay inside out.

The one thing that needs to be kept intact here from my perspective would have to be the music. The tracks used in TTS were updates on the original and they were all worse than the original. The music was such an integral part of the original it needs to be the one aspect that is ring fenced and kept intact as it is.

There's zero chance the controls and camera will be the same as they were in 1998, a lot will have to change to make the game a challenge once again. There's a lot of things that can conceivably go wrong with such a project here's hoping that if it is in development and we are going get our hands on it, it will be a worthy update on a much loved classic.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Giving enemies the ability to see past 6 feet away from them is probably all they need to do to increase the challenge a bit.

Would love a resi 2 style reimagining but with the original as a bonus unlockable.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Giving enemies the ability to see past 6 feet away from them is probably all they need to do to increase the challenge a bit.

Balancing a games difficulty is t that easy. Can see that breaking the game and making it too challenging.

Advertisement