Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Right I think I'm about to finally take the plunge and buy one.

One of the complaints I see in reviews generally is them over heating and melting plugs and counter tops.

Any experience with this and tips to avoid?

Oh and if you want to recommend your brand to me please do. I'm cooking for 3.

I can recommend the Philips, have had it three years without problems. If cooking for 3 you'll need the XL version as regular sized ones are more for 1-2 people. I think the XL is discounted for Black Friday on Amazon at the moment. Power Airfryer XL is another brand to check out, would be a bit cheaper than the Philips and do the same job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can recommend the Philips one too. I'm on my second one only because I dropped the first one and smashed it - though I bought the bigger one second time around. I must have it three years now and I use it so much, I couldn't live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I can recommend the Philips one too. I'm on my second one only because I dropped the first one and smashed it - though I bought the bigger one second time around. I must have it three years now and I use it so much, I couldn't live without it.

Could you let me know the model number of this Philip's or its capacity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm totally bamboozled reading all the reviews. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I'm totally bamboozled reading all the reviews. :(

If it’s any help I bought a cheap one believing I would rarely use it. I use it almost daily, hugely reduced my use of the actual oven. I bought the tower 3.2 in DID for around €50. I’m going to pick up a second one for Christmas, they are just so handy.

• Advertisement

I'm just getting used to using the Cosori Airfryer.

Can a full dinner of Bacon, Cabbage, spuds and parsley sauce be reheated in it?

If so, would the food have to emptied from the plate into the basket? Id imagine this would be very messy.

Sounds more like a microwave job to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

If it’s any help I bought a cheap one believing I would rarely use it. I use it almost daily, hugely reduced my use of the actual oven. I bought the tower 3.2 in DID for around €50. I’m going to pick up a second one for Christmas, they are just so handy.

Maybe if you had bought a bigger one you wouldnt need a second one....what do you cook in it? Are they any good for fresh chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Put it off for long enough, bought the XL Philips airfyer. My wife will be thrilled with the newest kitchen gadget. /Sarcasm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

McMurphy wrote: »
    Put it off for long enough, bought the XL Philips airfyer. My wife will be thrilled with the newest kitchen gadget. /Sarcasm. :)

How much €€€ ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Masala wrote: »
    How much €€€ ???

£159.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is the one I have. It's a mad price now, but I looked back through my Amazon orders and I bought it this week two years ago for £114.99. It must have been a Black Friday deal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS97UUA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Anyone have the Ninja foodie? €147.55 in Argos Trying to decide if it's worth the extra money over getting the instant pot on amazon. I could always get the Instant Pot air fryer lid down the line if it ever becomes available again at a sensible price. Looks neater than the food ninja to. Can get the 3L Instant pot for the same price storage wise it's tempting but it's probably a little small for family cooking and can't take the air fryer lid.

I already have an XXL Philips airfryer so there is times I wish I had a second to cook sides. The pressure cooker is probably a better and cheaper investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ryath wrote: »
    Anyone have the Ninja foodie? €147.55 in Argos Trying to decide if it's worth the extra money over getting the instant pot on amazon. I could always get the Instant Pot air fryer lid down the line if it ever becomes available again at a sensible price. Looks neater than the food ninja to. Can get the 3L Instant pot for the same price storage wise it's tempting but it's probably a little small for family cooking and can't take the air fryer lid.

I already have an XXL Philips airfryer so there is times I wish I had a second to cook sides. The pressure cooker is probably a better and cheaper investment.

One of the advantages of the Airfryer is being able to pull out the drawer, give it a shake or add stuff like seasoning or turn the food etc and shove it back in again effortlessly. I'd seriously recommend looking up reviews of the lid style ones you put on top of the Ninja and others, they sound like a pain in the ass tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thargor wrote: »
    One of the advantages of the Airfryer is being able to pull out the drawer, give it a shake or add stuff like seasoning or turn the food etc and shove it back in again effortlessly. I'd seriously recommend looking up reviews of the lid style ones you put on top of the Ninja and others, they sound like a pain in the ass tbh.

Yea that was one thing that put me off. On the other hand much easier stick it in the dishwasher with out a handle sticking out. Could see it being handy for browning something after cooking it in the pressure cooker and I could probably live with out the handle for the occasional times I want two air fryers going. Strange they don't have a detachable handle for it. Reckon maybe my tefal ingenio ones might work.

Ordered the 5.7L Instant pot anyways. Been wanting one for a good while. I'll free up press space and move on my slow cooker and decide down the line whether to get the airfryer lid for the Instant pot. The Philip's XXL lives on the counter but what ever else I get needs to go in the press. (Wife likes clear counters, I like everything to hand :( ) The air fryer lid is still fairly big a small 3L air fryers isn't going to be much bigger.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Maybe if you had bought a bigger one you wouldnt need a second one....what do you cook in it? Are they any good for fresh chips?

Yeah you could look at it that way but in general I'm happy with the size of it. I cook almost anything I would cook in the oven, to me its more like a mini oven than a fryer. Yes it does do good fresh chips, I par boil them first and then spray them in oil, delicious. One of the best things is the speed, 10 minutes from turning it on and your chips are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What temperature/ time should I give a turkey crown (2kg) does anyone know. Packet says 35 mins per kg on 180 C fan oven.

What temperature/ time should I give a turkey crown (2kg) does anyone know. Packet says 35 mins per kg on 180 C fan oven.

You might get more answers on the general chat thread. This thread is about Air Fryers. :)

However if you wish to cook it according to packet instructions that would be 70 minutes but that seems far too little to me. I would add another 20 minutes per kg, bringing cooking time to 1 hour 50 minutes.

Cook it uncovered for the last 20 minutes to get a nice crispy skin.

If you have a meat thermometer you want the thickest part of the meat to be at 74 degrees Celsius.

So I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uten-Technology-Healthy-Cooking-Grilling/dp/B07XGK3JY7/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Uten&qid=1606596835&sr=8-5

It arrived today. I've made home made chips (15 mins) and coconut breaded prawns (5 mins).

They were both really delicious! I'm looking around seeing what else I could air fry. If I had a cat it would be getting nervous. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You might get more answers on the general chat thread. This thread is about Air Fryers. :)

However if you wish to cook it according to packet instructions that would be 70 minutes but that seems far too little to me. I would add another 20 minutes per kg, bringing cooking time to 1 hour 50 minutes.

Cook it uncovered for the last 20 minutes to get a nice crispy skin.

If you have a meat thermometer you want the thickest part of the meat to be at 74 degrees Celsius.

Cheers, do you have link to general thread?

Cheers, do you have link to general thread?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/1/#post111379428

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

So I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uten-Technology-Healthy-Cooking-Grilling/dp/B07XGK3JY7/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Uten&qid=1606596835&sr=8-5

It arrived today. I've made home made chips (15 mins) and coconut breaded prawns (5 mins).

They were both really delicious! I'm looking around seeing what else I could air fry. If I had a cat it would be getting nervous. :pac:

Is this a good option for a first time user? Looking at one for my mam. She does slimming world so homemade chips would be definitely the first thing she would be cooking. I don't want to spend loads incase she doesn't get much use to her. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I presumed they were asking about reduced timings in an airfryer rather than a regular oven.

Airfryers are not all the same. If yours has a much faster fan it would be quicker too cook. I would recommend using a meat thermometer. Many would advise to turn down the temperature too.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Is this a good option for a first time user? Looking at one for my mam. She does slimming world so homemade chips would be definitely the first thing she would be cooking. I don't want to spend loads incase she doesn't get much use to her. Thanks

I'm a first time user. It's simple enough to operate and I'm happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I'm a first time user. It's simple enough to operate and I'm happy with it so far.

Just bought it thanks

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Just bought it thanks

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I just got a Philips Airfry XL. A few newbie questions, sorry if they've been asked multiples times before.

1 - Does it need to be preheated?
    2 - When cooking something like frozen chips or anything that comes with oven cooking instructions is it okay to follow the same times, i.e. packet says 20 minutes at 200c. Or is it case that things generally cook quicker/slower in an air fryer than a conventional fan oven.
    3 - I've read that lining the tray with tinfoil is a no no due to restricted airflow, does that mean cooking anything that gives off juices/oil/fat you just have accept it will drip down and clean it afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

1. Not really, its a small chamber and it gets up to heat very quickly so I dont bother with pre-heating.
    2. No, any packet instructions on cooking times you need to reduce it by about 33%. So chips at 15 minutes on the packet go down to 10 minutes in the airfryer and so on. That 33% isnt set in stone, it varies by food so just experiment with various foods until the exact time gets stuck in your head
    3. Just give it a wipe with a paper towel and its clean pretty quick. Put both trays through the dishwasher every few uses. I dont use any oil in mine so its generally just the oil off the food at the bottom. Stuff like breaded chicken will spread breadcrumbs down the bottom tray but its not that big a deal, just wipe it out. If cooking fatty foods like sausages or bacon in it then it might be a good idea to get one of those mesh splatter guards for cheap in a pound shop and cut it to size to fit in the basket and over the food. Bacon will spit upwards into the element and you end up getting white smoke out the back vent of it and it makes the element filthy over time as I found out, plus it is not easy to clean in behind it where the grease sticks.

Since someone posted here about lining the bottom with tinfoil I've been doing it all the time successfully. It cuts way down on cleaning.

I preheat mine all the time, it only takes 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Since someone posted here about lining the bottom with tinfoil I've been doing it all the time successfully. It cuts way down on cleaning.

I preheat mine all the time, it only takes 3 minutes.

This Accessories pack includes parchment paper to line the basket.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K7ZCDPJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_FM7XFbBEWES9Y

Someone mentioned in reviews that the paper went on fire. I presume tin foil is ok to use but I think there is a risk of it blowing around and lodging in the top of the fryer

• Advertisement

This Accessories pack includes parchment paper to line the basket.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K7ZCDPJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_FM7XFbBEWES9Y

Someone mentioned in reviews that the paper went on fire. I presume tin foil is ok to use but I think there is a risk of it blowing around and lodging in the top of the fryer

No it can't blow around because it's under the basket :)

Advertisement